PDA

View Full Version : Clutch

Steve74
20th June 2004, 09:20 PM
Just a quick question - has anyone experienced the clutch travel changing in the first 6000 miles? I don't have any slip but there seems to be have some wear making the pedal bite point move close to the top.

Monsta Mo Mini
21st June 2004, 03:39 AM
Steve - I had a spot of clutch trouble a while back which resulted in the clutch being replaced.The bite point moved closer to the top then it started slipping.

Steve74
23rd June 2004, 01:10 AM
Did the warranty cover it?

Monsta Mo Mini
23rd June 2004, 04:17 PM
Yup! Took a bit of persuasion though. Put it in and told them about my concerns...they said there was nothing wrong with it. I had to take the service manager out for a run and a few hill starts before he believed me. No problems since then though!

Steve74
23rd June 2004, 05:58 PM
They can be difficult can't they! I noticed the clutch bite moved up towards the top of the travel but it's not had any burn-out type use. I'll give Dunedin a call and see if I can book it in. Cheers for the help!

Gismo
23rd June 2004, 06:32 PM
Old mechanics trick, apply hand brake, firmly :evil: select 2nd gear, attempt to drive off, if car stalls then the clutch is in reasonable shape, if the car shows any sign of drive then the clutch is in a poor state.

Obviously only attempt this in a controlled manner with no cars in front ;)

Do not repeatedly try this as you may end up causing more damage than already exisits :p

Steve74
24th June 2004, 10:47 PM
Will try that when it's less wet! BMW told me it might just have settled and automatically adjusts but they'll have a look Tuesday - nice guys at Dunedin.