PDA

View Full Version : COOPER S Alternator Rattle

ELFMAN
18th June 2004, 08:59 PM
Anyone with an S with a metallic rattle at low revs and a “chatter” under hard acceleration from the front end?

I had this a few months back and BMW replaced the Alternator Tensioner which cured it for a while, but it returned a couple of months ago. Had the car back in to dealer yesterday, and they investigated further.

Turns out there's a problem with the (Denso I think from what I saw on the sheet) Alternator (mine's a Dec. 03 build), as there is an alignment fault. BMW apparently have a “fix” for this and my S is going back in next Friday to get sorted - hopefully.

So if anybody has an unexplained rattle/squeak/chatter on their S, take it in to your dealer and mention the above.

ELFMAN
25th June 2004, 07:13 PM
So....this thread's got everybody jumpin' eh? The silence is like the England crowd after Beckham's penalty. Take it you're all rattle-free then?.......(silence again).

The 'S' is in for a fix for the above today. Like you care.......(more bloody silence).

Ah well, have a nice day y'all. Think I'll go and eat worms.......

Gismo
25th June 2004, 07:42 PM
eh, eH, whassat, did somebody shout ;)
Good luck with the repair, whatever it is :evil::D

Starky
25th June 2004, 07:47 PM
No rattles yet from mine Elfie.

ELFMAN
26th June 2004, 05:48 AM
All quiet on the Alternator front - fixed with a secret “BMW Tool”. I now bring this uber-interesting thread to a close.

Stay tuned for my next one:
“Steve Davis - wild man of snooker”.

3GGG
26th June 2004, 05:54 AM
Glad to hear its sorted - wonder what they did?

ELFMAN
29th June 2004, 10:47 PM
They loosened everything off, lined it all up properly with the above “Wunder-tool-alignment-gizmo”, and tightenened it all back up again, I think.

I MIGHT still have a VERY faint “chatter” when using a heavy right foot, but very faint and no rattles now. Will keep my ear on it...

Kirsty
30th June 2004, 12:25 AM
Not heard anything from mine yet but it does run on occassionally. I think when it's hot but sometimes when I don't think it is but it's warm weather!! Sorry that probably doesn't make any sense at all!!! Never mind!!! la la lala!!!

ELFMAN
2nd July 2004, 04:18 PM
Kirsty, don't know, but I think it's an 'S' problem from what the dealer said.

However, a good old fashioned “La la lala” never goes amiss!

MartinSullivan
6th July 2004, 11:25 PM
ELFMAN, just found this thread - and I think it explains the annoying rattle I have on my S. Got to take the car in this week to get them to look at the power steering again, so I'll mention it at the same time. Thanks for the info

ELFMAN
12th July 2004, 11:10 PM
Glad to be of service! Hope you get it sorted.