PDA

View Full Version : is this the ABS system I'm hearing

jcbadger
24th February 2010, 07:43 PM
Hi All

Has anyone experienced this - I've only just experienced this intermittently with the ice.

A few times I've braked usually on or around solid ice. I hear this ratcheting noise (seems like its coming from the dashboard) and a pulsing in the brake pedal at the same time - I don't think I lose braking efficiency though. The brakes are working and I've recently changed both back discs and pads and pushed both rear caliper pistons in using the correct retraction tool for the mini. I also clamped the brake pipes and opened the bleed screws to allow the brake fluid to bleed out instead of flowing back through the hydraulic system whilst the pistons were being pushed back. I wonder if this experience is the ABS I'm hearing and feeling. On tarmac I've not experienced this - and hopefully won't.

Craig
24th February 2010, 07:45 PM
Yeah, defo sounds like the ABS. :thumbs up:

it is a bit disconcerting when it happens... :thud:

ianking
24th February 2010, 08:23 PM
yep thats the ABS doing its thing as the wheels will be locking up on the ice.

jcbadger
24th February 2010, 08:45 PM
so is the noise normal as well? Is is supposed to be some sort of audible warning to let you know whats going on?

Craig
24th February 2010, 08:46 PM
Is not an audible warning as such, but the ABS system working. They can be VERY noisy... ;)

jcbadger
24th February 2010, 09:21 PM
Is not an audible warning as such, but the ABS system working. They can be VERY noisy... ;)

thanks peeps for the responses... reassuring