PDA

View Full Version : Wimbledon Championships

AndyP & Lenore
24th February 2010, 12:54 AM
We entered the public ballot for tickets to Wimbledon in January. Got a nice letter in the post today saying we are being offered a pair of tickets for Centre Court on Wednesday 30th June - that's the Men's Quarter Finals day!!! Ya beauty!!!:thud::cool::clap::clap::clap:

I know it's not everyone's first choice of sport, but for me this is like an FA Cup (quarter) Final, an F1 round and Scotland vs England at Murrayfield all rolled into one.:thumbs up:

If we'd been there on the same day this year, We'd have seen Federer thrash Karlovic and ANDY MURRAY thrash Juan Carlos Ferrero.:thud:

Absolutely can NOT wait.:thumbs up::thumbs up::thumbs up:

Honestly, I never even expected to hear from them again. It was our first ever entry to the ballot and it is so oversubscribed I really never expected anything to come through.

A.:D

Stewart
24th February 2010, 01:29 AM
Well done, not my sport but just to experience it would be great.

Sheilz
24th February 2010, 01:59 AM
Mmm? Agree with everything except the Scotland V England thing at Murrayfield. That's sporting utopia. Especially when Scotland wins.

About two years ago Roger Federer filmed an ad for Swiss TV in my daughter's house in Dubai. They were asked because of its location, at the time they lived in front of a lake. Anyway they ended up with about forty crew in and around the property for a few days, can't remember how many now, two or four, something like that. I'll put up pic of Dani with Rog (as she calls him) in her house. He signed some tennis balls for them. While Dani was quite smitten with the man himself, Gary was more impressed with the red ferrari he drove up in.

Doesn't stop them rooting for Andy tho. Here's some pics from it. Think the year is on the corner of the photos.

http://photos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v2601/115/41/761555150/n761555150_6355779_4971991.jpg (http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=6355766&id=761555150)
http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v2601/115/41/761555150/n761555150_6355778_804960.jpg (http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=6355766&id=761555150)
http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v2601/115/41/761555150/n761555150_6355783_639894.jpg (http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=6355766&id=761555150)

Gismo
24th February 2010, 05:02 AM
Nice one Andy, nothing better than when you get notification of getting tickets for a special event.
I remember trying for ages to get a coveted England v Scotland ticket (football) at Wembley 1980, missed out on many ballots and raffles etc only to be almost gifted one for nothing from a family friend

Craig
24th February 2010, 09:11 AM
If andy is playing that day he will just get pumped anyway ! :lol:

should be good fun for u anyway ;)

N16SHP
24th February 2010, 12:33 PM
Sheilz, to say im jealous is an understatement......WOW!

Andy, you did well. Mens Quarters is good as there is plenty matches!! I can get tickets through my work, so I am currently calling and buttering up all the reps from Wilson, Head, Dunlop etc to see if they can help me out. Even if you can get just general entry tickets to the grounds for middle Saturday, that is apparently the best day to go as there is soo much on. Will keep you posted on whether I manage to get tickets or not! (trying to get tickets for Garros next year too!)

euan
24th February 2010, 02:07 PM
We got tickets a three years ago for the second Friday on Number 1, which should be boys and girls singles. But as the weather was rubbish, we got Mens quarter finals, it was brilliant.

Fantastic day out Andy - take your camera and get there early!

AndyP & Lenore
24th February 2010, 06:57 PM
We got tickets a three years ago for the second Friday on Number 1, which should be boys and girls singles. But as the weather was rubbish, we got Mens quarter finals, it was brilliant.

Fantastic day out Andy - take your camera and get there early!

Thing is, do I need to be there early? Matches on Centre Court usually start at 1pm, assuming most of the week hasn't been lost to rain. Probably getting the train in at 10.40am, then heading straight down to Wimbledon on the underground, getting there about 11.20 ish would be my guess. That's early enough isn't it?

The letter I got didn't say, but I'm assuming I will get specific seats, so at least I will know where I'm sitting? Or is it a free-seating policy? Anyone know?

A.

euan
25th February 2010, 11:07 AM
If you get there early it let's you see the place, otherwise you'll spend all day in your seat watching the tennis and never see the place.

How are you getting down to the site?

Ivano
25th February 2010, 11:16 AM
Andy, i am still waiting to hear if my name was pulled out the hat in ballot... But the fact you got notification the other day its not looking good for me.. :sad::sad:

You will love the experience. I have been twice now and has to be the one of the best things i have ever done..

AndyP & Lenore
25th February 2010, 11:44 AM
If you get there early it let's you see the place, otherwise you'll spend all day in your seat watching the tennis and never see the place.

How are you getting down to the site?

Ah true enough. Good idea.

Probably going down on the train from Berwick - getting fed up of planes for fairly short trips tbh. Will then be tube to Wimbledon. Then tube back from Wimbledon to hotel for overnight stay, prob in London somewhere.

A.

AndyP & Lenore
25th February 2010, 11:44 AM
Andy, i am still waiting to hear if my name was pulled out the hat in ballot... But the fact you got notification the other day its not looking good for me.. :sad::sad:

You will love the experience. I have been twice now and has to be the one of the best things i have ever done..

Ivan, I think they do ballot draws right up to May, so there's a chance yet.:thumbs up:

A.

Delboy
25th February 2010, 12:13 PM
Thing is, do I need to be there early? Matches on Centre Court usually start at 1pm, assuming most of the week hasn't been lost to rain. Probably getting the train in at 10.40am, then heading straight down to Wimbledon on the underground, getting there about 11.20 ish would be my guess. That's early enough isn't it?

The letter I got didn't say, but I'm assuming I will get specific seats, so at least I will know where I'm sitting? Or is it a free-seating policy? Anyone know?

A.

Andy,
I got tickets in the public ballot a few years ago too - a pair of Centre Court tickets for the first Friday. Couldn't believe my luck as it was for my wife's birthday so it was like hitting the jackpot!
Anyway, we had a superb day and the weather was in the 90s - we even saw a young Andy Murray finishing his game from the night before - icing on the cake!
As for the seating, you will get specific seats allocated and they will be shown on your tickets when you get them. The beauty of specific seats is that you can leave them and go back between breaks in the play and they will always be there for you - no "camping out" required to keep them.
We were there mid-morning so we could savour the atmosphere, wander around the outer courts, eat strawberries and cream, etc, etc... :smilewinkgrin:
I wish I had tried the ballot again this year - it's a fantastic sporting event to attend :thumbs up:
Del

euan
25th February 2010, 12:25 PM
Tube - you need to get out in Southfields - and there is a sodding big hill between it and the tennis. My advice would be to tube in, stay in Wimbledon for the evening, and then train it back to your hotel at night from the mainline train. Of course, that plan depends very much on how long the tennis goes on for in day!

Ivan - people will return tickets that they can't make/don't want, so you may get some yet.

AndyP & Lenore
25th February 2010, 12:51 PM
Cheers Euan and Del.:thumbs up:

AndyP & Lenore
25th February 2010, 06:50 PM
Tube - you need to get out in Southfields - and there is a sodding big hill between it and the tennis. My advice would be to tube in, stay in Wimbledon for the evening, and then train it back to your hotel at night from the mainline train. Of course, that plan depends very much on how long the tennis goes on for in day!

Ivan - people will return tickets that they can't make/don't want, so you may get some yet.

Euan, tube in and train out??? No tubes in the evening after the tennis?

A.

AndyP & Lenore
26th February 2010, 11:57 AM
Finding a decent hotel, reasonably close to Wimbledon, at a sensible price is proving tricky.

Euan posted up saying we should "tube it in" and "train it out at night". Is there a strong reason for this? Is the tube "not safe" at night? I've looked at the timetables and the District Line seems to run well into the early hours.

We've found a good hotel just at the South Kensington stop so it would be dead easy to get to.

Can anyone (Euan!!!) comment on how safe the tube is in the evening?

A.

Delboy
26th February 2010, 12:37 PM
Andy,
We tubed it there and back as we were staying in London near Trafalgar Square. It was perfectly safe! However, the station at Wimbledon was mega busy at night as everyone left after the tennis had finished and we had to queue to get into the station, nevermind actually get on a tube. Having said that, we eventually got on a tube and back to London.
I'd do the same again if that's any help.
Del

AndyP & Lenore
26th February 2010, 10:32 PM
Del, that's a huge help. Many thanks for that.:thumbs up:

Scottie
26th February 2010, 10:49 PM
I can recommend these hotels. Makes a special weekend even better

http://www.mandarinoriental.com/london/photo_gallery/

or

http://www.guoman.com/en/hotels/united_kingdom/london/the_royal_horseguards/index.html

I use both and they are very nice indeed. No idea about using the tube for these hotels and wimbledon though.

AndyP & Lenore
26th February 2010, 11:07 PM
Cheers Fi.:thumbs up:

AndyP & Lenore
19th May 2010, 06:08 PM
Our tickets arrived today.:thumbs up:

When I saw the return address as SW19 I knew what it would be. I quickly rushed to open the envelope, giddy with excitement. Pulled the tickets out their wee pouch and checked where our seats were. Was a bit confused at what it said so I checked the seating plan on Wimbledon's web site.....

It's not that I'm not still very excited at going to Wimbledon. And I still think I'm very lucky indeed to get tickets for the quarter final day on the first time I joined the public ballot.....

But I'm not sure how good our view of centre court is going to be from 3 miles away, as we have seats at the extreme back of the stadium block 505.:frown:

Still.... it's, like, WIMBLEDON!!! YAHOOOOOOOOO!:yes nod::yes nod:

A.:thumbs up:

euan
19th May 2010, 06:20 PM
I wouldn't worry, the stands aren't that big, we were quite far back (4 rows from the back I think) and the view was perfect. You'll easily follow it anyway, it was designed for everyone to be able to see.

AndyP & Lenore
19th May 2010, 06:24 PM
I wouldn't worry, the stands aren't that big, we were quite far back (4 rows from the back I think) and the view was perfect. You'll easily follow it anyway, it was designed for everyone to be able to see.

Cool. cheers dude.

A.:thumbs up:

GCA3N
19th May 2010, 07:43 PM
Just move your head from left to right at each grunt atleast you'll look like your watching the game. :lol:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

euan
20th May 2010, 09:42 AM
In fact, this was our view (nice action shot, don't you think?):

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1006/859049214_1488756b8c_b.jpg

AndyP & Lenore
20th May 2010, 11:06 AM
Cheers for that Euan. Thats actually not as bad as I had worried it would be. Was thinking we'd be damn near in No 1 court.:laugh:

euan
16th June 2010, 10:19 AM
Andy - Better take this with you!

http://www.silicon.com/technology/mobile/2010/06/15/photos-augmented-reality-served-up-with-wimbledon-tennis-39745989/

AndyP & Lenore
16th June 2010, 06:26 PM
Euan, that looks cool. Not available until the 21st:confused:, which seems daft.

All your own work?:D

euan
17th June 2010, 08:49 AM
Nothing to do with me at all, I'm too busy trying to sort out cattle testing at the moment! Though, hopefully I'm changing projects soon to a more automotive slant involving big cats in Coventry ;-)

AndyP & Lenore
21st June 2010, 06:28 PM
Andy - Better take this with you!

http://www.silicon.com/technology/mobile/2010/06/15/photos-augmented-reality-served-up-with-wimbledon-tennis-39745989/

Downloaded today.:thumbs up:

Looking forward to making use of it a week Wednesday.:yes nod:

euan
21st June 2010, 07:05 PM
I got an email today (everyone at work does) from the chairman of the AELTC, and he says it's his favourite thing IBM and them have done together and is amazed how it works. If the weather stays like this you'll be roasting though!

Are you staying down or coming back the same day?

AndyP & Lenore
21st June 2010, 07:58 PM
Down on Tuesday. Spending the day in Wimbledon on Wednesday. Back home on Thursday. Decided not to rush anything. I want to savor the flavor of Wimbledon, and Lenore wan't to savor the flavor of the strawberries and cream.

The plan is to head for the grounds for opening time, to wander around and take our time over it all. Play is due to start at 1pm on centre court, and there will probably only be the two mens quarter finals matches played on that court.

The only worrying thing is that I've just looked at tomorrow's schedule of play and they have Andy Murray playing on No 1 court!!! First time he's played that court since he was knee high to a grasshopper. No idea why they are playing the UK's No 1 (and fourth seeded) player on No 1 court. Obviously tomorrow isn't a problem, but if he plays well enough to get into the quarters (stop laughing everyone - he made semi finals last year while he was on-form), I'd be kicking myself if he played in the quarters and they stuck him on No 1 court. I'm sure if the UK's No 1 player makes the quarters they'd play him on Centre court, but then, I never thought he'd play anywhere other than centre for this tournament.

euan
22nd June 2010, 11:33 AM
If he is playing next week, he'll be on centre, have no fear!

One thing to note if your getting the mainline train rather than the tube - there is a free bus transfer from the mainline train station in Wimbledon, but it's usually very busy (all the people without main court tickets get in early to get a seat on the hill) so you may need to wait a bit. However there is an M&S food store in the shopping centre right next to the station for stocking up on tennis goodies, it's always loaded with picnic and tennis friendly food in Wimbledon fortnight.

AndyP & Lenore
22nd June 2010, 12:03 PM
Euan, we're staying in a hotel at Earls Court, so we'll be taking the District Line straight down to Southfields.

Expecting huge queue's to get in and simply having to wait - even though we're ticket holders.... there will be thousands of us after all.

8 more sleeps.:yes nod::laugh:

N16SHP
22nd June 2010, 12:10 PM
Well Andy I just thought i'd let you know i'm not jealous in the slightest...at all....nope....not me....:ragin:YEAH RIGHT!:ragin:

My boss got me tickets through our shop, then when he realised they were for Middle Saturday he was like, oh sorry, I'm going!!

AndyP & Lenore
22nd June 2010, 12:16 PM
Well Andy I just thought i'd let you know i'm not jealous in the slightest...at all....nope....not me....:ragin:YEAH RIGHT!:ragin:

My boss got me tickets through our shop, then when he realised they were for Middle Saturday he was like, oh sorry, I'm going!!
:blush:

A.:moonie:

ELFMAN
22nd June 2010, 01:58 PM
Hi Andy and Lenore - you lucky people!

Do me a favour, bring me back some strawbwerries, cream and yon wee French tennis lady Marion Bartoli - or preferably a combination of the above... TA.

AndyP & Lenore
23rd June 2010, 06:37 PM
Anyone watching the Isner - Mahut match? Longest ever match in Wimbledon history; 7hrs 30 odd minutes already. They are at 39 games each in the finals set.

A.

The Dogfather
23rd June 2010, 06:53 PM
That Isner match is dreadful, shows everything that is wrong with the modern game, just ace, after ace, after ace.

Stewart
23rd June 2010, 08:54 PM
I've watched two football games and its still on.

Seemingly you wait till one of the drops. Don’t get me wrong I’d love to go once to experience it but by god thats boring.

Gismo
23rd June 2010, 09:45 PM
I'm travelling and can't find out what the final score was? Someone post it up please

AndyP & Lenore
23rd June 2010, 09:53 PM
You're not gonna believe this.... Play suspended at 59-59 due to bad light. Continues tomorrow.:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Gismo
23rd June 2010, 10:09 PM
That's ridiculous: LOL:

AndyP & Lenore
23rd June 2010, 10:14 PM
That's ridiculous: LOL:

I know, you should have seen them walking off court... Exhausted doesn't even come close. Although Mahut seemed a bit less exhausted than Isner. Who knows what tomorrow will bring.

A.

AndyP & Lenore
23rd June 2010, 10:22 PM
They're third match up on Court 18 tomorrow.. "Not before 3.30pm" so at least they get a few hours R & R.

At the end of the day, they are tuned athlete's, but even still, the fifth set alone is longer than the longest ever tennis match.

This set has been at the same time; extraordinary, stunning, boring, exciting, exhaustive and repetitive. History in the making and it may even shape the future, because if they allowed 5th set tie breaks in 'slams, it would all have been over long ago. The "sport" needs to take some responsibility for protecting these sportsmen/women going forward. As much as it makes for interesting TV, is it really in the sport's interest to see this kind of end to a match? Surely it just makes a mockery of the whole scoring system.

A.

Stewart
23rd June 2010, 10:53 PM
Its a shame they never got it finished, it would be great to say “I was at the longest Tennis match ever”
But there fitness is amazing that’s for sure.

GCA3N
24th June 2010, 08:46 AM
Its a shame they never got it finished, it would be great to say “I was at the longest Tennis match ever”
But there fitness is amazing that’s for sure.

The thing is had they finished yesterday the winner was scheduled to play again today :thud: got a feeling it will be postponed now. Don't think it will last long today the big fella I think will lose now.

AndyP & Lenore
24th June 2010, 03:43 PM
That's Isner and Mahut back on court.

A. :D

Stewart
24th June 2010, 04:46 PM
:thud:These guys are still at it....

AndyP & Lenore
24th June 2010, 04:52 PM
Isner won 70 games to 68. Incredible match.

A.

GCA3N
24th June 2010, 10:19 PM
Isner won 70 games to 68. Incredible match.

A.

Unbelievable watched today's finish. I thought what they did at the end was nice. Although i think the French guy was kinda like "can I go now....please"

AndyP & Lenore
27th June 2010, 10:46 AM
Well Andy's form seems have improved for Wimbledon. 'Course he's back with his bird so that may help. Hes been playing some excellent games and some amazing shots, although I don't really think he's really been properly challenged yet.

A :D

Stewart
27th June 2010, 11:00 AM
Could you be watching him on the trip down south, do you know who will be playing yet? Be good to see our Andy play.

AndyP & Lenore
27th June 2010, 06:14 PM
He's got Monday to get through yet. If he wins on Monday, very likely we'll see him on Wednesday. Fingers crossed. :D

AndyP & Lenore
28th June 2010, 11:06 PM
Well, we're off on the train tomorrow, down to London, Premier Inn at Earls Court then Wednesday is Wimbledon Day! Yehaaaaaa!!! And hopefully they'll schedule Andy for Centre Court for Wednesday. Would love to see Nadal too, but I'm pretty sure he's gonna end up on No 1 court 'cos the Fed will be on Centre. Just need to wait to Tuesday night to see what the order of play is.

I'm so deliriously over-excited I'm not sure how the **** I'm gonna sleep tonight, never mind tomorrow night!

Delboy
28th June 2010, 11:10 PM
Have a great time :thumbs up:. Very jealous, I was there four years ago (incl. Centre Court tickets) and it was amazing.

Great win for Andy Murray tonight - still hasn't dropped a set :clap:.

AndyP & Lenore
28th June 2010, 11:13 PM
Have a great time :thumbs up:. Very jealous, I was there four years ago (incl. Centre Court tickets) and it was amazing.

Great win for Andy Murray tonight - still hasn't dropped a set :clap:.

Cheers Del, he played very well indeed tonight. But, I still don't think he's been pushed very hard yet. Wednesday (and hopefully) Friday will deffo change that. Is it too soon to be talking a final on Sunday? This is Andy we're talking about, it's deffo too early.:laugh::laugh:

audrey
28th June 2010, 11:17 PM
Have a good time :D Looks as though the sun is gonna be shining :cool:

Gismo
28th June 2010, 11:27 PM
I'm so deliriously over-excited I'm not sure how the **** I'm gonna sleep tonight, never mind tomorrow night!

A.:Dperhaps this si why you suffer from jet lag so much :Whistle:

AndyP & Lenore
29th June 2010, 07:52 AM
perhaps this si why you suffer from jet lag so much :Whistle:

Unlikely to get jet lag on the train, but I get your meaning.:D

Craig
29th June 2010, 08:03 AM
Enjoy it mate... Say hi to my cousin Adrian if you bump into him in Earls Court as that's where one of his houses is ;)

mind yer hat and sun tan lotion :thumbs up:

GCA3N
29th June 2010, 08:10 AM
Have fun Andy very jealous.

AndyP & Lenore
29th June 2010, 10:03 PM
Since February when I heard we had tickets for Centre Court for quarter finals day, I hoped we would get to see Andy Murray play. Since then his form dropped so badly I expected him to crash out in the first week. But his form seems to have really picked up and he's playing very well indeed.

Just checked the schedule of play for tomorrow and my dream has come.... Andy Murray v Tsonga is second up on centre court tomorrow. We also get to see Fed in the first match, and whilst I'm looking forward to see "the greatest tennis player ever to walk the face of Earth", he's such a smug sh!t these days, it's very difficult to warm to him. Perhaps my attitude will change on seeing him play. Until then its...

C'Mon MURRAY!!!:thumbs up::thumbs up::thumbs up:

GCA3N
29th June 2010, 10:07 PM
Since February when I heard we had tickets for Centre Court for quarter finals day, I hoped we would get to see Andy Murray play. Since then his form dropped so badly I expected him to crash out in the first week. But his form seems to have really picked up and he's playing very well indeed.

Just checked the schedule of play for tomorrow and my dream has come.... Andy Murray v Tsonga is second up on centre court tomorrow. We also get to see Fed in the first match, and whilst I'm looking forward to see "the greatest tennis player ever to walk the face of Earth", he's such a smug sh!t these days, it's very difficult to warm to him. Perhaps my attitude will change on seeing him play. Until then its...

C'Mon MURRAY!!!:thumbs up::thumbs up::thumbs up:

Chuft to bits for u mate.

Stewart
29th June 2010, 10:23 PM
If I was not up a Crieff at friends I'd have watched. Might get spotted on the TV. I have been told by a higher power (as I know sod all about Tennis) this is a great day to be there. Have a great time and you can give us the full breakdown, I mean the big question?

How many strawberries do you get?

euan
29th June 2010, 11:10 PM
Awesome looking line up, really pleased for you mate - hope the weather is great and the result is the right way! I'll be watching tomorrow with interest.

Gismo
29th June 2010, 11:11 PM
Nice one Andy, it's when these little things drop into place it certainly makes the experience even more enjoyable.
Fingers crossed for a Murray win :thumbs up:

AndyP & Lenore
30th June 2010, 11:23 AM
Euan, that IBM Seer app is stunning. :D

AndyP & Lenore
30th June 2010, 11:29 AM
if i was not up a crieff at friends i'd have watched. Might get spotted on the tv. I have been told by a higher power (as i know sod all about tennis) this is a great day to be there. Have a great time and you can give us the full breakdown, i mean the big question?

how many strawberries do you get?

10. :d

a.:d

euan
30th June 2010, 12:42 PM
Euan, that IBM Seer app is stunning. :D

I've been playing with the standard app and I think it's great, would love to see that bit of it working though!

Gismo
30th June 2010, 05:48 PM
Wow, we Scots don't do things easy, c'mon Andy :clap:

The Dogfather
30th June 2010, 06:24 PM
He seems to be well on top now, I think Tsonga looks a beaten man

Delboy
30th June 2010, 06:42 PM
Yup, Murray going in for the kill now :thumbs up::thumbs up:.

Stewart
30th June 2010, 11:58 PM
Was at friends at crieff and they had it on, so I seen Fed going out and Andy win when we came back into the house. When he saved that second set I said that’s him he’s won he’s broke the other guys spirit. .

N16SHP
1st July 2010, 09:27 AM
Tsonga collapsed after Murray came back from that Mini Break in the 2nd set breaker. Murray did well and managed to serve things out. I really hope he brings his usual game for when he plays Nadal. The last few times when he's played him (Aussie Semis x2 and Monte Carlo on clay last year) he seems to bring out something in Andy. Possibly even because there is no pressure on Andy when he plays him due to Rafa being the higher seed. This is Rafa's title to lose now, so i'd say all the pressure is still on Rafa especially having come through 2 5 setters and a tough test against Robin yesterday, and with the home crowd cheering Murray on, he has a decent chance this year **Crosses fingers** COME ON ANDY!!!!

AndyP & Lenore
1st July 2010, 06:47 PM
A wee Wimbledon report then...

Many thanks to everyone for their advice, it was really helpful on the day.

We arrived at about 10 and were admitted to a holding area before the gates opened at 10.30ish. All very carefully controlled considering there were probably 2 or 3 thousand of us early arrivals. Once the gates were opened we went straight to the practice courts but didn't see anyone we recognised. So we headed to Murray Mound and sat there for 5 mins as we were shattered from the walk from the tube and standing around etc. Watched a bit of the preview video for the games due to be played that day - that is one huuuuge screen. :D.

A punnet of strawberries and cream later we then went for a walk around the grounds craning our neck to see some games on the outside courts. We watched upcoming British lad ???????!? take the serve off his Australian opponent. 16years old, 6' 3" and a huge serve on him... Watch this space. :D.

We popped our head into an empty No1 court and stole a quick pic.

Then a quick sandwich and into Centre court for the fed match.

Right from the kick-off you could see Fed was not on form. He played some crackers but it was clear Berdych was hungry for the win and Fed didn't have the energy or will to face him down. I see from post match interviews Fed is saying he's suffering from back pain. That figures, cos yesterday on Centre, Fed wasn't Fed. Don't get me wrong, I'm shedding no tears... He's become so smug recently I'm really glad he's gone out. It's time for a change anyway. All credit to Berdych though, he played a cracking game and deserved his win.

I have to admit we felt a bit out numbered... 15,998 Federer fans cheering him on and me and Lenore cheering Berdych. A bit intimidating. :D

As those who watched Andy will say, Andy struggled against Tsonga for the first set. Second set was just as close and could have gone to Tsonga also - just two points away in the second set tie break. But a misjudgement from Tsonga let Andy's lob drop on court just inside the line, and the momentum swung straight to Andy, taking that set and storming the next two.

It was great to hear live versions of Andy's shot winning yell of "C'mon!!!". And NOT having to hear his consternation shout of "FOCUS".

With 99% of the capacity crowd behind Andy the atmosphere was electric. After several stand-up-and-scream shouts of support on winning shots my throat started to ache, but that didn't stop me. At home I have to try and contain myself because when I jump up and scream at the telly for a win or a lose I scare the bejeesus out of the cats, who jump in the air, hair "on end", hiss then run up the stairs wondering WTF is wrong with me. No worries on Centre court, we're all in it together and no cats to give kittens to.

After the Murray match we had some very tasty fish and chips from one of the many food courts, then made our way to the Wimbledon shop to abuse the credit cards.

Overall, one of the best experiences of my life. Even though Lenore isn't anything like the tennis fan I am, she really enjoyed the day also. It helps having the two best possible results on the day, but even if the matches hadn't gone our way, the experience is still "something else!".

Anyone thinking of going, go for it! You will not be disappointed.

Only took my compact camera as I didn't want the hassle of carrying my biggie round, but still got some cracking shots, a selection of which follow this post...

AndyP & Lenore
1st July 2010, 06:47 PM
An empty No 1 Court.
http://www.motorsportphotographic.com/wimbledon/WIMBLEDON01.JPG

Murray Mound
http://www.motorsportphotographic.com/wimbledon/WIMBLEDON03.JPG

Huge Screen
http://www.motorsportphotographic.com/wimbledon/WIMBLEDON04.JPG

Centre Court filling up
http://www.motorsportphotographic.com/wimbledon/WIMBLEDON06.JPG

Fed.
http://www.motorsportphotographic.com/wimbledon/WIMBLEDON13.JPG

Berdych
http://www.motorsportphotographic.com/wimbledon/WIMBLEDON09.JPG

Coin toss.
http://www.motorsportphotographic.com/wimbledon/WIMBLEDON15.JPG

Murray serve
http://www.motorsportphotographic.com/wimbledon/WIMBLEDON17.JPG

Playing with your balls, Andy?
http://www.motorsportphotographic.com/wimbledon/WIMBLEDON20.JPG

Good return.
http://www.motorsportphotographic.com/wimbledon/WIMBLEDON25.JPG

On the run.
http://www.motorsportphotographic.com/wimbledon/WIMBLEDON27.JPG

Murray mound from top of Centre court.
http://www.motorsportphotographic.com/wimbledon/WIMBLEDON32.JPG

Our View, doesn't really do it justice, it seemed much better than this.
http://www.motorsportphotographic.com/wimbledon/WIMBLEDON33.JPG

Good scoreline
http://www.motorsportphotographic.com/wimbledon/WIMBLEDON35.JPG

Another cracking return
http://www.motorsportphotographic.com/wimbledon/WIMBLEDON36.JPG

Mini Ecosse
1st July 2010, 07:05 PM
Good photties :)

Delboy
1st July 2010, 07:24 PM
Sounds like you had an amazing time - having been there myself 4 years ago I can totally understand how you feel! It was one of the best experiences of my life too :yes nod:.

Great photos :thumbs up:. Love the shot of the hill from the top of Centre Court.

GCA3N
1st July 2010, 08:18 PM
Sounds like u guys had an amazing time. Great report and pics too.

Neil and Lorna
1st July 2010, 08:20 PM
Excellent Photties.:thumbs up:

The atmosphere you get at these big events is simply amazing. :D:D

N & L :popcorn:

Stewart
1st July 2010, 09:15 PM
It does sound great and I’m not even a great tennis fan but I know someone that is. I might try the AELTC Ballot for next year you never know. Were you able to ask for Centre court Semi finals or was it just you Luck?

AndyP & Lenore
1st July 2010, 09:42 PM
Complete pot luck Stewart. All you can do is send a ballot paper in, what you get allocated is completely random. You may get any day in the whole fortnight, for any of the show courts; Centre, No 1 and No 2. We were just very lucky to get two tickets for Centre on mens quarter final day.

A.

audrey
1st July 2010, 10:51 PM
Great pics :thumbs up: Sounds like you had a lovely time :D

zimbo
2nd July 2010, 10:40 AM
At home I have to try and contain myself because when I jump up and scream at the telly for a win or a lose I scare the bejeesus out of the cats, who jump in the air, hair "on end", hiss then run up the stairs wondering WTF is wrong with me....

Well that EXPLAINS a huge amount now... :yes nod: :laugh:

AndyP & Lenore
2nd July 2010, 08:58 PM
Oh well... Maybe next year for Andy.:frown:

A.

The Dogfather
2nd July 2010, 09:44 PM
Well he got a lot further than the English footie team :lol:

He's still got plenty of years left, he'll do it

Delboy
2nd July 2010, 09:50 PM
Andy Murray did well at Wimbledon considering his form leading up to it. He was beaten today by the world's no.1 who played pretty much as good as he can do and yet all three sets were tight. No disgrace, just disappointment.

Bring on the hard courts!

Scottie
2nd July 2010, 10:04 PM
yip Andy was our great British hope today, tomorrow he will be that doo-rr Scottish Git.

GCA3N
3rd July 2010, 06:15 AM
The boy done well, very close too. The tiebreak in the second for me was, or atleast should have been the turning point. Rafa did however play some very tasty tennis indeed I don't think anyone in the world could have beat him playing like that.

AndyP & Lenore
3rd July 2010, 10:36 AM
Yeah, I think the entire match was won on 3 points, it's just a shame those three points went to Nadal instead of Andy. But, that's tennis. If Andy keeps this form up, with Federer being out of form, this year the US Open should be his. Lets hope so.

Sunday's gonna be a very interesting match, because Berdych is on fire just now.:yes nod:

N16SHP
3rd July 2010, 02:35 PM
Yeah, if Andy keeps this form, then we will hopefully be in for a good hardcourt season. Just too many missed forehands yesterday from Andy, but take nothing away from Rafa, he was good. It's true what they say, you make your own luck, and Rafa got a couple of bounces his way which in truth he probably deserved. I do like Rafa, so I wish him luck on Sunday!