PDA

View Full Version : Just out of Curiosity

LightningStevie
21st February 2010, 11:49 AM
In the new mini (is it R56?), how do you upgrade the stereo if you wanted an aftermarket stereo? Not that I will be, I find the standard one more than acceptable. Just wondered, tried to have a look but can't see anything

Cheers

Crombers
21st February 2010, 11:56 AM
In a word(s) .................. I don't think you can.

I seem to remember that some of the music buffs on here commented that the hi-fi issue on the R56 was a bit of a bug bear.

Craig
21st February 2010, 12:00 PM
Not strickly true Crombers, you can put in an aftermarket stereo, but it ain't cheap and is very time consuming. I know a guy on Northern MINI has done it. :yes nod: His is fitted in the left side of the dash where the compartment pack is (the flip up bit of dash ! )

LightningStevie
21st February 2010, 12:01 PM
I always wondered! When it was first launched, that was one of the things I thought that could be a big annoyance to future buyers

To be honest, I think it sounds fine, especially coming from a smart with only 2 speakers...

Gismo
21st February 2010, 12:02 PM
One of the reasons why i wouldn't buy an R56, i decide what stereo i want in my car, not the manufacturer.
The stereo can be changed, but, it's a massive job and if i remember rightly you keep teh existing one installed

Bazthemod
21st February 2010, 12:56 PM
Everyone seems to complain about the sound of the stereo but it really isnt that bad. I had a digital amp fitted to my old cooper and it improved the sound a lot but if you play about with the equaliser of the standard stereo it sounds fine.

AndyP & Lenore
21st February 2010, 01:13 PM
Everyone seems to complain about the sound of the stereo but it really isnt that bad. I had a digital amp fitted to my old cooper and it improved the sound a lot but if you play about with the equaliser of the standard stereo it sounds fine.

I'm with Baz on this one.... we haven't fitted an amp, but we went for the audio upgrade at time of ordering and it sounds fine for us. Everyone is different on what they want from a stereo though.

A.