PDA

View Full Version : Number plate lamp..

AlanJRobson
20th February 2010, 01:38 PM
On my 06 cooper s works.

I took the covers off to replace the OEM bulbs with new LED's, the left hand bulb and connector was fine but the right hand connector and bulb were corroded really badly, so after cleaning out the connection and trying the new LED bulb in, the connector seems to have given up!!

I've spoke to parks mini in hamilton about it, but tbh i didnt really get anywhere when i asked if the connector would be covered under the warranty, im not too bothered if it is but just wondering if its easy enough to replace because if it is, i'll do it myself.

Cheers,

AJR.

Craig
20th February 2010, 06:04 PM
It won't be covered under Warranty as they don't cover corrosion under the warranty... They may cover it under "Goodwill" tho.... :rolleyes: :argh:

Bitter? not me.... :lol:

AlanJRobson
20th February 2010, 06:41 PM
Ah that clears that up then..

I do remember the conversation we had when you were saying about the amount of hassle you've had with previous cars so you've a right to be bitter mate LOL.

Corrosion is a funny thing as a mate of mine had some rust on the door of his 56 plate cooper repaired under warranty at parks?

stoney
20th February 2010, 06:58 PM
rust on the body work is coverd just not the light bits as for a fix it a whole new boot handle im affraid as i had the same prob i got one off ebay for £10 posted

Livi
20th February 2010, 07:56 PM
Unfortunately Alan, its the whole handle im afraid.

The water seems to find a way into the gasket and work its way into the electrical system and causing corrosion.

Its a major problem and even continues on to the 3 series and 5 series BMW models aswell which are also replaced.

I dont think its a warranty issue unless dependent on dealer/age of car, then goodwill might be the next best thing, but again, dependent on dealer.

AlanJRobson
21st February 2010, 12:00 PM
Ah right!!

Thanks for the info/help guys.

David,

How much does the handle cost?

Also can i remove the plinth as its obviously sprayed gray to match the car and fit it to the new handle?

Cheers,

AJR.

AlanJRobson
21st February 2010, 12:40 PM
Found this: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MINI-1-55-PLATE-REAR-BOOT-RELEASE-HANDLE_W0QQitemZ170440828777QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_ CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item27af10a769

stoney
21st February 2010, 01:21 PM
Ah right!!

Thanks for the info/help guys.

David,

How much does the handle cost?

Also can i remove the plinth as its obviously sprayed gray to match the car and fit it to the new handle?

Cheers,

AJR.

nope its a sealed unit im afaid only cost about £20 to get it sprayed tho

Livi
22nd February 2010, 11:45 AM
Brand new from myself primed will cost: £59.10 inc vat and discount.

Also,

I have one in stock that has been painted yellow going for 75% off retail

AlanJRobson
23rd February 2010, 01:24 AM
Ideal mate.

I'll give you an email tomo.

Cheers,

AJR.

E1ONN
6th April 2010, 10:21 PM
I also have that problem on both of my number plate lamps, the rite side was totaly buggerd and the left side is going that way aswell. i spoke to the parts department at JC Aberdeen to just get the terminals and lenses but it all comes in one whole part and a bill of £70 for the complate set. not happy :frown: