PDA

View Full Version : Mini Countryman Wrc Rally Car, Prodrive MINI Countryman WRC launch in March?

GP BILLY
20th February 2010, 10:02 AM
From another forum:thumbs up:

Mini Countryman Wrc Rally Car, Prodrive MINI Countryman WRC launch in March?

:yes nod::yes nod::yes nod::yes nod:

Latest according to 'Motorsport News':
Representatives of MINI visited the Rally Sweden last week on a fact-finding mission together with key Prodrive personnel, including chairman David Richards and technical director David Lapworth.
Work is well underway back in Banbury on the MINI project, which is set use a brand new turbocharged 1.6-litre engine. The MINI Countryman based 4x4 is expected to begin its initial testing programme this summer.
Prodrive technical director Dave Lapworth and ex-managing director of the Subaru WRT Richard Taylor, accompanied Richards on the fact-finding mission in Sweden. The party also met with controlling representatives of the World Rally Championship during the weekend.
The official launch of the Prodrive MINI Countryman WRC is expected to take place at the Geneva Motor Show in March.
Meanwhile, Mads Ostberg stated to maxrally.com that he was currently in negotiations with Prodrive regarding the possibility of driving the Mini next year.
“I’m talking to Prodrive and both of us are interested in continuing working together,” said the Norwegian. “I definitely think that I am worthy of a drive with them. But it’s difficult to say exactly what we can do with them because we have been struggling quite a lot with cars and confidence. I think with a good team and some testing it’s possible to fight for good positions, definitely.”

More.......
http://www.motoringfile.com/2010/02/19/dev...MotoringFile%29

"The development of the car was made possible by BMW’s exit from F1 and increased focus on production based series such as WRC, ALMS and the WTCC. It was also made possible by the WRC’s new engine rules which focus on production based 1.6L turbos. All this gives the upcoming Countryman rally car a tangible link to the production variant (especially the rumoured fire-breathing JCW version).
In all the 2012 WRC season is shaping up to be a glorious return for MINI into a sport that has a great deal of historical significance for the brand."

Ex-rally driver Paddy Hopkirk, who won the 1964 Monte Carlo Rally in a Mini Cooper S, continues to work for BMW as an ambassador, told Motorsport News, “The level of engineering is amazing and very diligent – they’re a company that doesn’t take shortcuts. Everything they do they do well. If there is a problem they will throw more money at it until they get it right. Without the [BMW Sauber] Formula One project there could be the money to do that."
“People love the Mini and actually love the new Mini as well. It would be terrific to see Mini in the WRC. I’ve got the highest respect for the company and it would be magnificent for the glory days of rallying to return and for Mini to be a part of that. I drive a MINI on the road and I wouldn’t do that if I didn’t believe in the product. I love the car.”

4x4 3 door hatch:cool::cool:

AeroJonny
20th February 2010, 11:52 AM
Countryman's a 4 door ;)

GP BILLY
20th February 2010, 03:04 PM
Countryman is a 5 door:thumbs up: what I ment was they may put
the 4x4 syatem in the 3 door in the future:yes nod::yes nod:

AeroJonny
20th February 2010, 10:44 PM
Can you explain the difference between a 4 and a 5 door volvic, I've never fully gotten it...I know, dunce's cap for me!!

Getrag developed a 4x4 R53 but MINI never picked it up, massive pity.

I can't decide which model I'd want most as a 4wd, it''d be awesome in the coupe.

The Dogfather
20th February 2010, 11:20 PM
A 4 door is a saloon like a BMW 7 series, a 5 door is a hatch/estate.

Not sure what the Clubman counts as though 2 doors at the back and 2.5 doors up front :D

Wul
22nd July 2010, 06:12 PM
I was reading more on this today in Autosport HERE (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/85369) - the formal announcement is due any day now! No matter how ugly the car is - still be nice to see MINI's in the WRC again! :)

euan
23rd July 2010, 10:28 AM
It might just be the kick the WRC needs, it's massively disappointing at the moment.

Wul
23rd July 2010, 11:54 AM
Defo Euan - it's becoming a procession these days!

zimbo
23rd July 2010, 01:31 PM
I too would love to see MINI in the WRC again :yes nod:

ELFMAN
23rd July 2010, 02:34 PM
I too would love to see MINI in the WRC again :yes nod:

Again...? :confused:: :smilewinkgrin:

I must have missed that, but then again I'm NEARLY old enough to remember the ORIGINAL Mini's Glory Days... :blush: Well, I was 4 in '67 :thumbs up: :flag: I just hope it's as fast as it's ugly! :D

N16SHP
23rd July 2010, 03:11 PM
I think the withdraw of Subaru and the disappearance of Mitsubishi, adding in a new manufacturer is exactly what the sport needs to be honest. Theres far too many Citreons and Fords!!

GP BILLY
28th July 2010, 01:27 PM
And this would do nicely:thumbs up:

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f356/9049/spotted%20cars/car_photo_385174_7.jpg

The Bull
28th July 2010, 04:41 PM
Sorry if this is old news.

http://www.crash.net/world+rally/news/161964/1/mini_confirms_wrc_programme.html