PDA

View Full Version : Keyless Defrosting

Bazthemod
20th February 2010, 08:33 AM
Just realised you can defrost the car without the key docked into the dash, which then means you can lock it and go back inside until its toasty! :cool:

Dock your key, start engine, stop engine, remove key, start engine again.... walk away and lock :thumbs up:

Forbes
20th February 2010, 10:48 AM
Just realised you can defrost the car without the key docked into the dash, which then means you can lock it and go back inside until its toasty! :cool:

Dock your key, start engine, stop engine, remove key, start engine again.... walk away and lock :thumbs up:
Shut up...

T5LLC
20th February 2010, 10:54 AM
Is that not if you have keyless entry/start stop ?

Craig
20th February 2010, 11:07 AM
Is that not if you have keyless entry/start stop ?

Nope. William and Brian (his dad) told me about this at the last meet they were at.. Very cool feature, although don't let the eco mentalist catch you at it.... Is it not now an offence to leave your car ticking over for a longish period of time?

Craig
20th February 2010, 11:08 AM
in fact HERE (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1231460/Drivers-leave-engines-running-clear-screens-face-fines-idling-offence-rules.html) is an article about it... :thumbs up:

AeroJonny
20th February 2010, 11:47 AM
That's pretty cool, I've just been starting the car and pulling the metal key out of the fob and locking the car manually before going inside for some brekkie

GCA3N
20th February 2010, 11:59 AM
Nope. William and Brian (his dad) told me about this at the last meet they were at.. Very cool feature, although don't let the eco mentalist catch you at it.... Is it not now an offence to leave your car ticking over for a longish period of time?

I has always been an offence to walk away and leave your car unattended with the engine running, unattended being the opprative word. However I am sure you were probably aware of this. :lol:

Stewart
20th February 2010, 12:14 PM
Well the Mini is frosted solid but at 7:30 the focus starts its Aircon and switches on both the front window and rear window defrost and the heater without the engine running using minimum fuel. Auto defrost!

So you go out and the cars totally clear, warm inside and ready to go and you’ve not even left the house to do it. Plus it pisses off the neighbours.

Wish Mini were not so tight with there equipment. But thats a neat wee trick all the same to lock the door.

Bazthemod
20th February 2010, 08:16 PM
Even an offense on private property? ;)

Scottie
20th February 2010, 08:22 PM
no need for this when you have a husband and a garage. Husband walks round to garage gets the car brings it round waits till it's all nice and warm, I go out jump in to the drivers side and drive

Livi
20th February 2010, 08:35 PM
in fact HERE (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1231460/Drivers-leave-engines-running-clear-screens-face-fines-idling-offence-rules.html) is an article about it... :thumbs up:

sorry for off topic, but how does money going into the governments pocket saving the earth?

we pay enough as it is:

Tax on our wages to finish work and get petrol/shopping for it to be taxed again?

Craig
20th February 2010, 08:37 PM
no need for this when you have a husband and a garage. Husband walks round to garage gets the car brings it round waits till it's all nice and warm, I go out jump in to the drivers side and drive

he's a husband, not a butler... :thud: :frown:

Craig
20th February 2010, 08:40 PM
Even an offense on private property? ;)

Prob Baz, not sure of the law on this, but it is an enviromental issue, not a road type deal and it is the local authority that governs it (according to the article) a bit like the smoking enforcement officers who give out fines for people smokin in public places...

Scottie
20th February 2010, 08:55 PM
he's a husband, not a butler... :thud: :frown:

you can't be serous this is so a husbands job.

Livi
20th February 2010, 08:59 PM
well... mind you i have a chauffeur now! :D:D

Bazthemod
20th February 2010, 09:06 PM
well... mind you i have a chauffeur now! :D:D

haha brave man posting that!

AeroJonny
20th February 2010, 10:29 PM
couldnt get it to work...does anyone know when this became a feature??

Knox18
20th February 2010, 10:37 PM
my neighbours used to love me when i had my impreza! used to leave it running like 10 mins every morning, full blitz nur spec exhaust and the car was usually reversed right up against the metal garage door, so yeh it was pretty loud hahahaha

T5LLC
20th February 2010, 10:42 PM
Mines does it yeeey :) Thanks Baz :)

Bazthemod
20th February 2010, 11:12 PM
It wont work if the door is open

Sheilz
21st February 2010, 12:49 AM
you can't be serous this is so a husbands job.

Absolutely agree. And before that it was a 'dad's job'. All the dad's I knew warmed up their daughters' cars in the morning. One dad even used to pop a wee blanket over his daughter's wee orange mini engine, to keep it cosy in the cold winter nights.

N16SHP
21st February 2010, 02:02 PM
Mine just blows out cold air, no engine running :(

Stewart
21st February 2010, 07:42 PM
Worked here, first time I’ve done it. Just don’t like locking the door and leaving it running on the drive.

AeroJonny
21st February 2010, 08:15 PM
It wont work if the door is open

Nice one Baz!

T5LLC
22nd February 2010, 05:51 PM
Nice one Baz!

Haha Jonny did you try with it open :P

AeroJonny
22nd February 2010, 08:06 PM
Shut it u, that's enough of ur cheek :P

Big Gordy
22nd February 2010, 08:56 PM
Like Fi says...........don't need to de-frost when mini's tucked up in its cosy garage every night:yes nod:
I must confess tho......I do scrape my daughters car for her:blush:

Iain
22nd December 2018, 01:41 PM
Top tip... 20 mins or so before you need to drive off... hot water bottle on dashboard top defrosts the windscreen AND warms it up so there is no condensation!
(2 bottles give a wider coverage)