PDA

View Full Version : Have you used these airlines to the US?

zimbo
19th February 2010, 07:30 PM
I was just wondering if anyone has used these three airlines, because these are the three that keep coming up for my planned trip to the US, they are:

Delta Airlines
Continental Airlines & last but not least
American Airlines.

They are all roughly near the same for prices but they fly into different airports for the transfers etc so if anyone has used any of these airlines and would like to put in their two pence worth I would very much appreciate it.

Or there is also British Airways which I would really like to avoid!!

Thanks

Scottie
19th February 2010, 08:00 PM
Continental Airlines & last but not least

Thanks

Well Zimbo I am not a person who enjoys flying in fact you have no idea just how much I HATE flying (a bit off topic but I was just saying to Allan last night the best bit about not working for BP anymore is I no longer need to fly as part of my job)

anyway when I decided it was time for us to go to America I looked round all those airplane forums to find what company to use (price was not a problem) anyway after days of reading I came to the decision that Continental would be best I was flying from Glasgow and I've got to say I was glad I did nice plane seemed quite new at the time seats were good service was good food was ok they had a good safety record etc etc so

Continental gets my vote when I next go back that's who I would fly with.

Craig
19th February 2010, 08:34 PM
ah, so this is why the bike is up for sale.... :rolleyes: Never used any of these airlines Ali, so I can't help. Think AndyP would recommend Continental too, but I am sure he or Lenore will be along shortly to confirm or deny. ;)

RyanK
19th February 2010, 08:46 PM
American airlines planes are antiques. Be better off as fossils!

I used them for a domestic flight from New York to Los Angeles. Boeing 757 from 19oatcake

AndyP & Lenore
19th February 2010, 09:12 PM
We've flown a fair bit to the USA over the past few years. Here's our tuppenceworth.

KLM/Northwest: Rubbish planes - rickety old things held together with duct tape. And they fly via Amsterdam so your journey starts in the wrong direction to start with. In flight entertainment was a pull-down screen at the end of the cabin; watch the movie or shut up.

United Airlines: Excellent. Only flown with them once but we were really looked after.

Virgin Atlantic: Rubbish. Very poor service on the plane.

British Airways: Not bad. Have flown better, but they looked after us not too bad.

Continental: Excellent. Our first choice for flying to the US. Great service out of Edinburgh connecting in New York Newark to anywhere in the USA. Well looked after on the flight and the seat back movie system had tonnes of movies with fast forward, pause, play, rewind etc.

Every time we fly to the USA now, we try to fly Continental.

We're off to Orlando again in June - flying Continental.:thumbs up:

A.

Knox18
19th February 2010, 09:54 PM
continental for me also

Sheilz
20th February 2010, 12:27 AM
Continental got the thumbs up from my mum as well but on her last trip out, now without question her last, she wasn't impressed by the incredibly cold journey back to the UK nor by the puddle of water that appeared beside her chair from the emergency door which the cabin crew made no effort to mop up. Her health has been permanently affected by the experience. Eldest is a real globetrotter and she swears by Emirates and BA

AeroJonny
20th February 2010, 02:26 AM
Only ever fly BA, the service is normally pretty good and T5 is a fantastic place to hang out. No transatlantic service from Scotland though, think Continental do though!

Please fly BA, Dad's pension fund needs topped up ;)

joec73
20th February 2010, 07:47 AM
We have flown with Continetal the last 2 years to New York from Edinburgh (cheaper than Glasgow) without any problems generally decent flight and service.
Not sure what has happened but the continental prices for July this year are almost double what they have been for the last 2 years,

camjay
20th February 2010, 09:00 AM
Flew with continental. Absolutely brilliant. I think I put on about 3 stones on the flight only because all they do is feed you and offer you drinks. Very pleasant staff. Wlould definately book with them again!:thumbs up:

AndyP & Lenore
20th February 2010, 10:53 AM
We have flown with Continetal the last 2 years to New York from Edinburgh (cheaper than Glasgow) without any problems generally decent flight and service.
Not sure what has happened but the continental prices for July this year are almost double what they have been for the last 2 years,

We've noticed the prices this year are way more than last year. But they do seem to fluctuate. We were checking two or three times a day for a while and we found when we stopped looking for a couple of days they dropped back down to a bit more sensible price. Still dearer than last year, but maybe only by £50 or so.

A.

joec73
20th February 2010, 11:26 AM
We went for around £450 each last year, they are wanting £700+ this time.
Having said that we booked around May time.
If you see the prices drop post it up please

Gismo
20th February 2010, 12:33 PM
As i said Ali, Continental, great flights, direct from Edinburgh to Newark (New York) excellent planes and usually always you get your own tv screen in the forward headrest so you get to start, stop and pause a film etc when you want a comfort break or talk to the cabin crew.

zimbo
20th February 2010, 01:27 PM
Thanks for all the replies guys and gals. Well it's looking like Continental is the majority favourite here :D

Now I just gotta keep an eye on prices and try get seats etc when price seems to be as good as possible... :thumbs up:

Gismo
20th February 2010, 01:39 PM
I booked my Continental flights recently and they were more expensive than normal.
I find it's just luck, best i've ever had is around £550 return to Pensacola from Edinburgh

AndyP & Lenore
20th February 2010, 01:50 PM
Couple of years ago we could get from Edinburgh to Orlando (EDI-EWR-MCO) for about £375 per person. Even last year it wasn't far off that. This June its costing £480 each. For a while it was gonna cost £600 each, and that was while their "sale" was on. As soon as the sale finished we got the cheaper price. Go figure.:frown::confused:

A.

AndyP & Lenore
20th February 2010, 01:50 PM
Thanks for all the replies guys and gals. Well it's looking like Continental is the majority favourite here :D

Now I just gotta keep an eye on prices and try get seats etc when price seems to be as good as possible... :thumbs up:

When are you going?

And, where are you going in the USA?

A.

Gismo
20th February 2010, 01:55 PM
When are you going?

And, where are you going in the USA?

A.Don't want to steal his thunder, but, he's coming to Pensacola and we are heading up to Indianaplois for the MotoGP in August

AndyP & Lenore
20th February 2010, 01:59 PM
Don't want to steal his thunder, but, he's coming to Pensacola and we are heading up to Indianaplois for the MotoGP in August

Cool. Bike racing's not my bag, but USA is. We both have a plan at the back of our mind to do what you've done in some form or another sometime in the future. Ditch the UK and head out to the USA on a permanent basis.:thumbs up:

A.

zimbo
20th February 2010, 02:19 PM
Don't want to steal his thunder, but, he's coming to Pensacola and we are heading up to Indianaplois for the MotoGP in August

What he said :yes nod: cant wait coz I love America as well, Muscle cars, big stonking V8s, cheapish fuel (Gas) and great sunny weather, what more could you want!!! :clap:

Gismo
20th February 2010, 02:50 PM
Cool. Bike racing's not my bag, but USA is. We both have a plan at the back of our mind to do what you've done in some form or another sometime in the future. Ditch the UK and head out to the USA on a permanent basis.:thumbs up:

A.More than welcome to base yourself at my house, save on accomodation at least if you fancy a holiday

illegalhunter
20th February 2010, 06:24 PM
Ive used them all Delta WERE THE BEST IMO

Knox18
20th February 2010, 10:19 PM
What he said :yes nod: cant wait coz I love America as well, Muscle cars, big stonking V8s, cheapish fuel (Gas) and great sunny weather, what more could you want!!! :clap:

and buy alll the M4's and desert eagles you wish :D would be cool to own a noob tube hahaha

AndyP & Lenore
20th February 2010, 10:21 PM
More than welcome to base yourself at my house, save on accomodation at least if you fancy a holiday

Cheers Alan. Will bear it in mind.:thumbs up: At the moment we are sticking to the touristy hot spots - mostly Orlando. May venture out to Las Vegas this year sometime though.

A.:D

AeroJonny
20th February 2010, 10:36 PM
The higher ticket prices could be down to fuel hedging deals coming to an end or low demand, airline economics certainly arent simple...the margins are so fine!

Sounds like you guys have a cracking trip planned, have a great time!

Zimbo, the gas in america may be cheap but the quality's awful...may as well have twigs and leaves in it.

AndyP & Lenore
21st February 2010, 01:38 AM
The higher ticket prices could be down to fuel hedging deals coming to an end or low demand, airline economics certainly arent simple...the margins are so fine!

Sounds like you guys have a cracking trip planned, have a great time!

Zimbo, the gas in america may be cheap but the quality's awful...may as well have twigs and leaves in it.

I kinda figured it would be down to fuel more than any other factor. But you just have to look at the way the budget airlines are bringing in charges for everything to see that airline margins are thinner than an after eight mint.

I think the breakdown of our flights in June was something like £450 for the flights and £450 for the airport and government taxes.

A.

Gismo
21st February 2010, 05:52 AM
When i start commuting to Baku from Pensacola i've chosen to fly mostly with Continental, i get to pick my flights and i could have went with any of the major airlines and i chose Continental.
So, decision made Ali :thumbs up:

Gismo
21st February 2010, 05:54 AM
Cheers Alan. Will bear it in mind.:thumbs up: At the moment we are sticking to the touristy hot spots - mostly Orlando. May venture out to Las Vegas this year sometime though.

A.:DAlthough Pensacola is consdered to be away from the tourist area there is plenty to do here, the Blue Angels practice a lot here and there is a dedicated museum for the forces on the massive base.
It would certainly be a quieter place than Orlando and Vegas, but, ideal for a stopping point.

Ivano
22nd February 2010, 10:27 PM
Myself and Carol returned from New York just 2 weeks ago and we flew with Continental. Flights were on time both going and returning. Nice choice of movies and music on board. Food was good and crew really pleasant. Legroom could be a bit on the neat side if you are taller. I'm 5'11 and was quite comfortable.

Being able to fly from Glasgow Airport direct to New York was perfect too.

Oh and i have still got scratches and cuts on my legs where Carol dug her nails in with her fear of flying... Ouch!!!! lol :smilewinkgrin::smilewinkgrin: