PDA

View Full Version : My car is broken!!!!

Fester
18th February 2010, 05:35 PM
Well not exactly broken........

Jumped into the car this morning, no frost for a change this morning, got to the bottom of the road turned into the sun and noticed a 2" crack in the windscreen approx 3" from the top corner on the drivers side, cant think of any stone hitting that part of the windscreen, anyways by the time got to where I was going (7 miles) crack is now 8" long and heading for the middle of the screen.

Spoke to Autoglass and will be Tuesday before they can get to me :sad:

On a + point my scabby pitted 8 year old screen gets changed for a shiny smooth new one :thumbs up:

Stephen

Crombers
18th February 2010, 05:57 PM
I seem to recall early cars having windscreen issues i.e. cracks appearing but MINI seemed to iron that one out IIRC

My 2004 windscreen was replaced last year as one more 'bullet hole' tipped the issue over the edge. At replacement I changed the wiper blades too & bhoy oh bhoy what a difference. £70 odd quid excess mind (although it does not affect your no claims bonus), but it's worth it IMHO

Gismo
18th February 2010, 06:09 PM
And as luck would have it, my screen is also chipped and needs replaced right before i sell it too

Fester
18th February 2010, 07:22 PM
£ 50 excess AND luckily enough just bought new wiper blades less than a week ago, proper Mini ones too!!

GCA3N
18th February 2010, 08:01 PM
£ 50 excess AND luckily enough just bought new wiper blades less than a week ago, proper Mini ones too!!

That's cheap mines was £70 both times I've replaced the screen on the mini. What insurance company you with?

Fester
18th February 2010, 08:32 PM
That's cheap mines was £70 both times I've replaced the screen on the mini. What insurance company you with?

Greg, I'm insured through the AA but the actual insurance company is NIGC (The National Insurance & Guarantee Corporation Ltd)

Been with the AA for a good number of years now but I have to do the usual I'm leaving you every year when it comes to renewal managed to get them down £110 from what they quoted this year

GCA3N
19th February 2010, 07:03 AM
Greg, I'm insured through the AA but the actual insurance company is NIGC (The National Insurance & Guarantee Corporation Ltd)

Been with the AA for a good number of years now but I have to do the usual I'm leaving you every year when it comes to renewal managed to get them down £110 from what they quoted this year

My give them a try. Normally use one of the insurance websites for the best quote then barter that with kwik fit. It was ok last year till i put the alloys on, went from just over 300 to 440 something - ish, so will be looking soon to get that down again.

Crombers
19th February 2010, 12:19 PM
Also folks as a wee quick reminder (not that we will all need the heed) :yes nod:

DO remember to tell your insurance company of EVERY modification you have made to your car as MANY of the internet / go compare lot will not touch modified cars. I had to move away from Esure when I fitted the aerokit (even though it is a factory option) as they would not recognise the addition. So remember all your body parts, wheels, exhausts & inductions folks :thumbs up:

GCA3N
19th February 2010, 01:37 PM
Also folks as a wee quick reminder (not that we will all need the heed) :yes nod:

DO remember to tell your insurance company of EVERY modification you have made to your car as MANY of the internet / go compare lot will not touch modified cars. I had to move away from Esure when I fitted the aerokit (even though it is a factory option) as they would not recognise the addition. So remember all your body parts, wheels, exhausts & inductions folks :thumbs up:

Good point. I found kwik fit with my cooper were brilliant infact the policy never went up after all the bits and bods went on, like i say thought the current car did with the wheels. The girl said it was due to them being non oem wheels.

Sheilz
19th February 2010, 03:15 PM
Direct Line are ok with bits too especially if its factory options retro fitted. I'm lucky though because my insurance with them is less than £200, just slightly over when including courtesy car in the event of a prang and premiums have consistently gone down without having to negotiate. I've done the onlime thing to find out if I could get cheaper. Ironically the companies that advertise cheaper insurance for women or over 50s all want to charge me more and in some cases, double what I'm paying now. Its tempting to 'forget' to tell them about mods, esp if premiums are high, but in the long run it just isn't worth it.