PDA

View Full Version : FAO Euan...

AndyP & Lenore
18th February 2010, 04:36 PM
Heading down to Londontown on Monday - speaking at a conference on 3D on Tuesday. Hoping to go and see Avatar in an IMAX on Monday night. Would love to see it at the BFI IMAX as it is a traditional IMAX, but it's sold out. So next best is the Wimbledon Odeon. Are there any decent eateries in or at the retail park the Odeon is based as we will likely be looking for some food before the movie?

A.:D

AndyP & Lenore
19th February 2010, 11:25 AM
A wee "bump" in case this was missed.:blush:

Crombers
19th February 2010, 11:42 AM
Isn't there a Tennis Club around those parts. I'm sure they'll make you up a couple of sarnies if you give em a tinkle :rolleyes: :p

euan
19th February 2010, 05:59 PM
Ah, finally my calling ;-)

Two things - get the train/tube in - the station is slap bang in the middle of Wimbledon and takes two minutes to get to the cinema. Second, the Mini dealer is also a 5 minute walk to the station if you have time to kill (and the BMW entrance to it is at the top of my old road!)

Now, before I go much further - Wimbledon also has a load of chains. Coal is right underneath the cinema, and there is a tapas type place behind it as well, but the ones I'll list here are where we used to go and if they have other places, they are all in London so a bit more unusual. They will also all do stuff fresh rather than reheat like Coal etc would.

Wimbledon Odeon is slap bang in the middle of Wimbledon so the world is your oyster and everything is close by, but the best places to eat are in the village (15 walk up Wimbledon hill). In the town, best places are all on or just off the main high street (called the Broadway), but all within a 5 minute walk of the cinema.

If you want italian and some of the best pizzas you'll ever have, you have to try Al Forno, which is down the broadway until you get to the Walkabout, then it's up the road on your left. Service can sometimes be a bit iffy, but it's an Italian restaurant so comes with the territory! (well, I once went to Carluccios place in central London - that was unbelievable, especially when he came in and spoke to us, but it's a bit out of you way!) If you say you've got cinema tickets they'll rush it through as well usually. Further down the broadway, opposite the theatre, you can try Reds grill, which do a good burger (it's next to Gourmet Burger Kitchen as well, so you have options!)

There are a couple of really good thai places, Suk Saran is the best though. It's the other direction (right out of the station instead of left), towards the village at the very bottom of the hill. Slighty further up the road from there (only a minute or so on the other side of the road) is Limon, which do fantastic turkish food. It's a small family run place and I cannot recommend it enough - I'd go there over Thai and I love Thai food. The mezze plates are the way to go, and the turkish wine is actually ok as well if your feeling brave!

The village is very nice, the best places up there are usually in bars. Fire Stables (quite often see Jenni Falconer in there at a weekend), Common Room or The Dog and Fox are all very good. Also worth trying is the Butcher and Grill, which is a butcher in the front and restaurant in the back - the steaks in there are unbelievable. Other good French place in the village is Cote, aims at affordable French, non fussy and very tasty food.

So plenty of choice for you there! If you have the time for the village, you have a wider selection, but if not, go to Limon - it's awesome. Put it this way, if and when I go back to Wimbledon, I'll be going to Limon, followed by a pint in All Bar One across the road :-)

And if you come out of the cinema and are still hungry, the best chipper in the village is on the road behind the cinema - come out of the cinema, go down the walkway between it and morrisons, and turn right - up at the end is the chipper.

Anything else, let me know!

Some links:
Limon - http://www.london-eating.co.uk/6925.htm or http://www.limonrestaurant.co.uk/
Al Forno - http://www.alfornowimbledon.com/
Reds - http://www.redsbarandgrill.co.uk/
Suk Saran - http://www.sukhogroups.com/suksaran.html
Butcher and Grill - http://www.thebutcherandgrill.com/
Cote - http://www.cote-restaurants.co.uk/

Gismo
19th February 2010, 06:07 PM
Yeah, what he said :Whistle:

euan
19th February 2010, 06:08 PM
Oh, just seen your going on Monday - the chippers shut on a Monday ;-)

Forbes
19th February 2010, 07:38 PM
You had that pre-prepared for this day didn't you.

euan
19th February 2010, 07:45 PM
You had that pre-prepared for this day didn't you.

Someone had to come south someday ;-)

It was actually nice to think back to the time we had in Wimbledon, we lived there 6 years and being honest, I've not thought about it since we moved. So it was nice to rack the brain about places to go and things to do!

Forbes
19th February 2010, 07:51 PM
Someone had to come south someday ;-)

It was actually nice to think back to the time we had in Wimbledon, we lived there 6 years and being honest, I've not thought about it since we moved. So it was nice to rack the brain about places to go and things to do!

If your not in Wimbledon it time to update your location?

AndyP & Lenore
19th February 2010, 08:01 PM
Top Man!:clap:

I've just had me dinner and you've made me hungry all over again. Some terrific sounding restaurants there.

I do like living in a small town, but you don't half miss out on some things.

Many thanks for the reply. Will let you know how we get on.

A.:thumbs up:

euan
19th February 2010, 08:25 PM
If your not in Wimbledon it time to update your location?

I tried a while ago, couldn't find the setting and gave up!

Top Man!:clap:

I've just had me dinner and you've made me hungry all over again. Some terrific sounding restaurants there.

I do like living in a small town, but you don't half miss out on some things.

Many thanks for the reply. Will let you know how we get on.

No worries, hope you get on fine! We're the same as we now live in a small village so it's the complete opposite, instead of 5 Thai places there is one (which, fortunately, is very good!) but all the Italians round here are garbage and you just don't get Turkish and the like.

We do, however, have something like 8 curry houses which, as we're close to Birmingham, means they are all great!

AndyP & Lenore
19th February 2010, 11:51 PM
I tried a while ago, couldn't find the setting and gave up!

Sorted it (your location) for ya!:thumbs up: However, you may want it changed to something more sensible, so let me know and I'll make the change.:thumbs up:

A.,:D

AndyP & Lenore
24th February 2010, 12:47 AM
Well euan, we ran out of time, or time ran out on us.... not sure which was first. So ended up wandering around Leicester Square looking for a film to go and see. Ironic really, that we couldn't find anything we either hadn't seen already, or weren't interested in seeing in the first place.

Ended up with a meal at Planet Hollywood instead.

Thanks anyway for your advice. And we'll be able to make better use of it in June - posting about that in a sec.

euan
24th February 2010, 09:13 AM
Time flies in London, easily done!

Wimbledon in the championships - it's mental! You'll need to book a table for your dinner if you stay in Wimbledon village, and I would as it's a great night after the tennis.

However another reason for getting down early, there is a little coffee shop in the village where Sharapova always goes for her morning coffee ;-)