PDA

View Full Version : Grease smears

N16SHP
17th February 2010, 07:36 PM
Everytime I put the window down on either side, when it comes back up it has grease smeared up it in a straight line! I told JC's when I was getting a rattle fixed, but they said the couldn't find anything. I've cleaned the sills and the window but they still keep appearing on the inside!

Anyone else had this and got any recommendations?

Thanks in advance!

GCA3N
17th February 2010, 08:51 PM
I think the minis are bad for this. I mean every time I put my window up and down, (only passenger one though) I get a smear near the bottom. Could be some product thats trapped somewhere. Not really sure how to solve this though, appart from stop using your windows :lol:

I think you can take the sill off if i'm right in saying. Have you tried that yet, maybe let you get a cloth in to clean it better, unsure.

Colin
17th February 2010, 09:46 PM
Very common I'm afraid; happens on mine. May be grease from the window mechanism. Hard to eliminate cos its inside the door. Don't use your window :smilewinkgrin:.

Craig
17th February 2010, 10:07 PM
Yeah, there is a rule in the Poole household that means your not allowed the use the windows... :lol:

this happens to most cars, and it's from the mechanism having some grease on it.. If it doesn't happen on your car, then the mechanism is prob dry ;)

Bazthemod
17th February 2010, 10:09 PM
Hold a rag agasint the window and put it up and down a few times.... or put the window fully down and run a rag along the gap ... you will see a bunch of black crud.

It will solve the problems for a few weeks lol

AndyP & Lenore
17th February 2010, 11:05 PM
Yeah, there is a rule in the Poole household that means your not allowed the use the windows... :lol:

Aye!:thumbs up::thumbs up:

However, it makes getting into NCP car parks a bit tricky:frown:. Sometimes, you just have to accept your windae is gonna get dirty.:ragin:

A.:frown:

Crombers
17th February 2010, 11:11 PM
Anyone else got any recommendations?

Thanks in advance!

Recommendation .................................................. ignore it & DRIVE yer MINI :thumbs up:

As for Mr:popcorn: 'YOU NEED THERAPY' :yes nod:

Delboy
17th February 2010, 11:56 PM
Yeah, I get the smears on my windows too - drives me crazy so like the others above I try not to use them (sorry Crombers :hand:).

N16SHP
18th February 2010, 12:41 AM
Yeah, I have this habit of cleaning the car, being delighted, then getting to the entrance of the car park and going "aww s**t"

cheers though guys!

ianking
18th February 2010, 10:15 AM
Keep a microfibre cloth in the glovebox.

Gismo
18th February 2010, 10:16 AM
I find it handy for writing down short messages :Whistle:

Crombers
18th February 2010, 10:59 AM
Yeah, I get the smears on my windows too - drives me crazy so like the others above I try not to use them (sorry Crombers :hand:).

:thud: ................. not another one :rolleyes:

Crombers
18th February 2010, 11:00 AM

Brilliant boss, like it / love it :clap:

Mr P & Delbhoy, get yer heids round this little beauty :yes nod:

AndyP & Lenore
18th February 2010, 11:36 AM

Nooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!:argh::hand::argh:: hand:

Crombers
18th February 2010, 12:11 PM
Nooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!:argh::hand::argh:: hand:

Oh YES :yes nod: , next time we see you we'll show you how it's done :thumbs up:

Kren__
26th March 2010, 02:10 PM
Has anyone ever tried taking this issue to BMW? Does my head in cos I have to put my window down everyday to get into my works car park. I've never had a car that's had this issue (to this extent), frankly it's dangerous especially when you're trying to see through the window at junctions etc.

Also I could swear the last time I washed my car that water had got in through the top of my drivers window (yes the window was closed)...

These minor issues aside the MINI's still a blast. :D

Fartin Martin
26th March 2010, 05:20 PM
This is reaaaaally annoying me just now too!!! I've read on other forums that cleaning the felt parts with alcohol helps stop the smearing..not tried it yet though

N16SHP
26th March 2010, 10:34 PM
I asked last time I was in JC's and they pretty much just laughed at me!

I've tried most things, including cleaning the felt!

On another note, the gentleman who parks next to me at home, his Caymen S does it too! Still doesn't means it's right though!!