PDA

View Full Version : What has Toyota done to deserve this???

C.Noble
12th February 2010, 12:37 AM
Am I the only one that thinks the press/media, and in particular the BBC, are giving Toyota a bit of a hard time over the recent Prius and Aygo recalls?

They are getting a kicking for what I think is not much at all... certainly nothing compared to other manufacturers.

Dont get me wrong, I am not a huge Toyota fan, but I have to admit they know how to build cars, with reliability that other car companies can only dream of, but I cant understand why they are being targeted by the media so much recently.

I took a look at recall statistics over the last 18 years on the VOSA website and the results were certainly not what I thought they would be...

Here is list of car companies with th amount of recalls they have issued over the last 12 years;

Ford - 209
Peugeot - 188
Mercedes - 172
Citroen - 165
Renault - 144
Fiat - 146
Toyota - 135
Vauxhall - 109
BMW - 88
Audi - 80
Ferrari - 54
Porsche - 51
Mitsubishi - 50
Jaguar - 38
Tata - 7
And would you believe MINI - 1:thud:

Now Toyota looks pretty bad here, but it turns out alot of their recalls involve faulty components that they fit accross their model range (each model counts as one recall even though it is basically all the same recall), this means the real amount of recalls is actually around 54.

But clearly too much cannot be read into these figures alone... Obviously Ford has a high recall rate because they sell their stuff by the bucketload, and I dont think for 1 minute that anyone outside Italy would seriously believe Fiat make better cars than Mercedes... or that if you buy a Tata, you can be assured that the Indian car industry has superior build quality and safety reliability than those Germans throwing together their cheap Porsches!

Its when you read some of the reasons for the recalls, the story becomes totally different...

Pug 405s that have airbags that dont deploy, 806s that have airbags that go off for no reason! Front suspensions that collapse on 306s and rear spoilers falling off 206s at speed!

Alarmingly almost every model of Pug, at differing build years, have had to go back to have seatbelt mountings reinforced!

The 307 is Pugs biggest headache...Front suspension with bolts that have not been tightened, ABS and ESP system failures, lights switching off without any warning... that must be fun doing 60 along a country road!

Clearly the guy that Toyota took onto design the brakes for the Prius must have been an ex Pug employee as the 307 has also had recalls for poor brake performance and recalls for brake failure... then there they have ignition switches that spontaniously combust and badly placed (and not fused!) ABS units that catch fire which are covered under a recall described by Pug technical as "thermal containment issues"... that is a bit like saying George W Bush had "bullsh1t retention issues"!

Some of Renaults clangers are brilliant too, the Sefrane that likes to heat its fuel tank with the exhaust, turning an inflamable liquid into an explosive gas! One of the Pug guys must have gone to Renault on day release as the Twingo has suddenly developed the old "exploding airbag in the face at 70mph" trick too.

Before going to Toyota that guy that was sacked from Pug must have taken an agency job for Renault... because the Laguna was recalled 6 years ago for throttles that stuck wide open... Auntie beeb must have missed that one!

The Espace is brilliant, complete with 007 style rear facing projectiles... the little winch that holds the spare wheel fails and throws it at the poor sod behind you on the motorway, then it is just as likely to "poach" your passengers as the heater can go faulty and spray everone inside the car with boiling coolant, then, just for good measure, it can just suddenly go on fire!

It would also appear that every Renault model ever produced can suffer from servo brake failure leaving you with a brake pedal like a breeze block... thats ok if your in an Espace though, because you probably cant see what your going to hit through thick black smoke as you and your family are being barbequed... and even if you could, your face would already have been boiled off by that heater!

As I said, I am not a Toyota man (MINI and Mitsubishi through and through!) but I really think the French are getting off rather lightly in the build quality stakes and dont understand why the Japanese are getting it soooooo bad...

Sorry. Rant over!

Craig.

Stewart
12th February 2010, 12:54 AM
My friend bought a brand new top of the line 407, had it a few weeks and the Electrics started to play up. Warning Lights on the Dash came on mass, the electrical windows worked one day and not the next and his doors would not unlock etc.

He took it back in and they had it for a month. He got it back and was driving down the motorway at speed in heavy rain and both the front windows went fully down! He pulled into services and could not get them back up.

Away it went again for weeks.

It comes back and within a few days the Doors unlock, lock, unlock whiles hes driving.

He took it back, got his money and walked…….I’ve been put off them ever since.

Andrew
12th February 2010, 12:56 AM
Excellent post.

I ran a Corolla from new and over 3 years covered 57,000 trouble free miles. The only serious money I spent on it was for two tyres.

Last year the 08 plate Laguna I drove for work had a problem with the throttle sticking open. I thought it was caused by the carpet sticking under the accelerator pedal as it stopped as soon as I threw the mat in the boot. Swapped it as soon as I could for a Volvo V50 estate. 18,000 miles in twelve months and no problems yet.

GCA3N
12th February 2010, 07:09 AM
Brilliant post and makes for very some interesting reading.

ianking
12th February 2010, 09:29 AM
Yeah I agree. They are really giving toyota a hard time. Like you say toyota make very reliable cars. Perhaps Toyota have been a bit public in their announcments where as other manufactureres are a bit quiet about it and just go straight to the owners of the cars.
My Grandparents have a 2003 Yaris that they got new and its not been back to the dealers for 1 thing, appart from routine service. Wish I could say that about my MINI

euan
12th February 2010, 04:49 PM
I do think they are kicking Toyota rather hard about this. As you say, the French stuff is scary. My mate had a 406 as a company motor and it was nothing but trouble the whole time he had it. None of the trim on the bumpers on the front would stay on!

The thing is, Toyota have taken the very Japanese line to this - public apology and say we made a mistake. The French would be out the back of the factory with a Gauloises pondering how to duck it. THe UK press love it when execs are seem to be in trouble, so just are going for it. Plus, there is not a lot else in the news at the moment now that they've moved on from Haiti.

24 hour news - it's killed the real news stories. What's better for the 24 hour channels than a long line of elderly customers with amusing crash stories when the throttle stuck open to get on the air?

Livi
12th February 2010, 05:10 PM
I have to admit they are getting it rather tight from the media!

I loved my starlet and the quality and reliabilty of a 16 year old car they were all original parts (i had to replace a few things wear and tear) but understandable the amount of years it had lasted!

i miss my toyota! but a bitch to fuel! lol

GCA3N
12th February 2010, 06:04 PM
I have to admit they are getting it rather tight from the media!

I loved my starlet and the quality and reliabilty of a 16 year old car they were all original parts (i had to replace a few things wear and tear) but understandable the amount of years it had lasted!

i miss my toyota! but a bitch to fuel! lol

I have to agree my mum has had 5 toyota's now and they have all served her well.

AndyP & Lenore
13th February 2010, 12:34 AM
Excellent post Craig. Had me in stitches.:laugh:

It is a shame Toyota are getting it just now. My parents are on their third Toyota and like Ian King said, all they've been in the garage for is to service it or buy a new one.:thumbs up:

A.:D

Craig
13th February 2010, 11:28 AM
and lets focus on another thing.... MINI only having 1 recall. Thats because they don't admit there are faults, so how could they have a bloody recall !!!! Fuel Pumps anyone ? what about power steering pumps? Dual mass flywheel ? ? I need say no more... :rolleyes:

Ally S
14th February 2010, 04:43 PM
It hasn't changed my opinion - my brother has a 3 year old toyota which is excellent and when out car shopping for my dad today we walked straight past any french cars and considered a few toyotas.

My friend got given money by Peugeot recently because they couldn't fix his car! How shoddy

KenL
14th February 2010, 05:26 PM
Our wee Aygo has been brilliant, a couple of tiny wee things dealt with brilliantly by Western Toyota.

MINI seem to do a brilliant job of not issuing recalls, but "quality enhancements". The one recall mentioned is probably for the possible exploding fuel tank on the first few MINIs issued.
There was no official recall for the R50 pulling to the left or the imfamous & quite frankly ridiculous handling of the R56 timing chain rattle. Apparently some dealers are still wanting to hear it happen before carrying out the simple job to fix the problem!

Back to Peugeot. Which of their cars was it that for each mile travelled the odometer was actually recording 1.1 miles or there abouts? I do not know how was eventually resolved, but remember it is probably illegal to clock a car, even if you are only adjusting it to the correct mileage?

Ally S
15th February 2010, 02:19 PM
Our wee Aygo has been brilliant, a couple of tiny wee things dealt with brilliantly by Western Toyota.

MINI seem to do a brilliant job of not issuing recalls, but "quality enhancements". The one recall mentioned is probably for the possible exploding fuel tank on the first few MINIs issued.
There was no official recall for the R50 pulling to the left or the imfamous & quite frankly ridiculous handling of the R56 timing chain rattle. Apparently some dealers are still wanting to hear it happen before carrying out the simple job to fix the problem!

Back to Peugeot. Which of their cars was it that for each mile travelled the odometer was actually recording 1.1 miles or there abouts? I do not know how was eventually resolved, but remember it is probably illegal to clock a car, even if you are only adjusting it to the correct mileage?

i think it was the 307. I remember seeing it on Watchdog.

Oh yeah - also remember seeing the dodgy Clio bonnets on watchdog a while back.

KenL
15th February 2010, 03:16 PM
Talk about speaking too soon!

The Aygo has broken down today!

Green Flag has towed it to the dealer, their mechanic thinks it is not getting fuel.

Now the really annoying bit. Western Toyota are charging £52 investigation fee. I said that's fine but of I give you the job, I won't pay that - I just pay for the fix. The service girl said no, I would have to pay that as well. WTF?

Anyway, pretty much NO choice in this as the car needs fixing. I should find out later what the damage is. Of course, they have no courtesy cars as they are really busy doing recalls!

KenL
15th February 2010, 06:36 PM
The Aygo needs a new "fuel sender unit", I think that is a new fuel pump.

Total bill, including the £52 to diagnose is £187!

I think it is unreasonable for a car 3 years, 4 months old to suffer this failure so I will be writing to (or perhaps will get the service manager to write to) Toyota GB asking for a contribution towards this cost.

Seems this is a one-off and not a common fault.

GCA3N
15th February 2010, 06:52 PM
Talk about speaking too soon!

The Aygo has broken down today!

Green Flag has towed it to the dealer, their mechanic thinks it is not getting fuel.

Now the really annoying bit. Western Toyota are charging £52 investigation fee. I said that's fine but of I give you the job, I won't pay that - I just pay for the fix. The service girl said no, I would have to pay that as well. WTF?

Anyway, pretty much NO choice in this as the car needs fixing. I should find out later what the damage is. Of course, they have no courtesy cars as they are really busy doing recalls!

The Aygo needs a new "fuel sender unit", I think that is a new fuel pump.

Total bill, including the £52 to diagnose is £187!

I think it is unreasonable for a car 3 years, 4 months old to suffer this failure so I will be writing to (or perhaps will get the service manager to write to) Toyota GB asking for a contribution towards this cost.

Seems this is a one-off and not a common fault.

Talk about tempting fate dude, sorry to hear that.

C.Noble
10th March 2010, 11:28 AM
http://uk.cars.yahoo.com/09032010/36/toyota-prius-driver-uses-police-car-stop-0.html

It would apear that Toyota must have pi$$ed off the americans... or the americans are jumping on the litigation band wagon!

He has even got his Toyotas mixed up, his car should only suffer from a strange feeling brake pedal, its not the right car for the pedal recall... the Prius has a different pedal from the Aygo!

I couldnt stop laughing while reading this, the car started accelerating, and the first thing he thought of doing, after fruitlessly pressing the brake pedal, was to call 911... I hope it was handsfree!

A police car was despatched to catch up with him... he still hasnt worked out how to slow this possesed supercar that even with the brakes fully pressed can still reach 90mph.

It took a loudspeaker announcement from the police car for the driver to think of using the emergency brake... He is allegedly in what anyone would term as 'an emergency', what kind of dumbo thinks of phoning for help, AND waiting for that help to arrive while still doing 90mph, before thinking of using the EMERGENCY brake?!?!

And the best bit... once the emergancy brake is applied, and the police car is placed in front of this supersonic Prius, an act that will no doubt make the policeman a national hero now with more driving skill than Ken Block, the Prius driver only then thinks of 'turning off the engine'... god only knows how many miles had been covered before this muppet thought, "Hmm. I wonder if it would help to switch off the thing that is making me move?"

Surely any 'normal' person would try footbrake, if that didnt work then try the emergency brake, if they are still hurtling down the freeway after that try killing the ignition BEFORE phoning a friend and aiming for the nearest police car!?!

I would love to see this guy drive in snow... "I got into a slide, I would have corrected it in time, but I didnt get a reception on my iphone so I couldnt check Wikipedia to find out what I should do!"

This stinks of 'Sue city' tactics and there is no way his story holds water, but you just know this guy will never have to work again because Toyota will be forced to settle with the mother of all 'out of court' settlements to avoid further hassle...

This reminds me about the guy who crashed his Winnebago because he switched on the cruise control and went into the back to make a cup of tea, after the inevitable crash he sued winnebago because the handbook doesnt say you cant do this... and won!
My Dads response typified the differance between the mentalities of either side of the atlantic and rings true with this Prius drivers case...

"I dont care how much money it would earn me... I would NEVER stand up in court of law and admit to being that bloody stupid!!!"

zimbo
10th March 2010, 12:09 PM
"I dont care how much money it would earn me... I would NEVER stand up in court of law and admit to being that bloody stupid!!!"

:lol:

Sheilz
10th March 2010, 12:47 PM
http://uk.cars.yahoo.com/09032010/36/toyota-prius-driver-uses-police-car-stop-0.html

This reminds me about the guy who crashed his Winnebago because he switched on the cruise control and went into the back to make a cup of tea, after the inevitable crash he sued winnebago because the handbook doesnt say you cant do this... and won!
My Dads response typified the differance between the mentalities of either side of the atlantic and rings true with this Prius drivers case...

This is priceless