PDA

View Full Version : Powder Coating Alloys

Sheilz
6th February 2010, 05:05 PM
Was having a gander at some alloys on internet and came across article on Rare Rims advising they don't warranty powder coated alloys because it weakens the wheel. Has anyone had any problems with this? Haven't got any plans to do this to Dougall's pace alloys though its something I might have considered if looking for a cheap method of getting black wheels. Is there another method of changing wheel colour besides powder coating?

GCA3N
6th February 2010, 05:47 PM
That was a route i was going to go down, never heard of the technique weakening the alloy. I know the process involves putting the wheel in a big oven but don't know if that does anything. What I would say is that I would doubt they would do the process if it was detrimental to the wheel.

weefossy
6th February 2010, 05:57 PM
Shielz, I have a set of black S spokes that were on the Van. They have 4 brand new tyres which have done less than 1000 miles. Wheels were done by Powdertec so they were done properly. Don't know what a fair price is but if you are interested, I'm sure we can work something out. I also have a set of silver S spokes with very good tyres. PM me if interested. I know some people think the S spokes are heavy, but I love them, although don't think Crombers would let me put them on new car lol.

Sheilz
6th February 2010, 06:31 PM
The article made reference to this being at the wrong temp. I can't remember what it was but article easily found on their website.

PM sent. thank you

Scottie
6th February 2010, 06:35 PM
TBH I think the place Alan took his wheels to in Carnoustie done a much better job than Powdertec.

I'm not to impressed with Powdertecs finish compared to Alan's wheels but powdertecs is not the worse.

the place in Cambuslang that I've used was terrible.

I may get my TD"S done in silver for summer and would make the effort to travel to Carnoustie

Malcolm how much are we talking for the silver S Spokes????

KenL
6th February 2010, 08:57 PM
...and do those wheels for sale come with runflats?

Crombers
7th February 2010, 12:51 PM
I know some people think the S spokes are heavy, but I love them, although don't think Crombers would let me put them on new car lol.

The fact that you have 'desserted' the 'S'Spoke fraternity leaves me with no option, next time we meet :frown: :knife: :Whistle:

Stewart
7th February 2010, 02:23 PM
What did big Craig get done on his wheels?

k3ith
7th February 2010, 06:51 PM
To powder coat you need to have a clean surface so depending on whos doing them they may sand blast the old paint/coating of the alloys so this maybe what they are referring to, this and the heat?? I could be wrong though.

If theres nothing wrong with them then a good spray painter may do. theres good arguments for both P/C and good old spray. I prefer the later as you can get the paint code and touch up and future damage where as P/C you have to get the whole wheel done again.

Craig
7th February 2010, 07:31 PM
What did big Craig get done on his wheels?

Anthracite coating on my S Spokes. No probs for me, cant see it having a problem with the wheel, hit a good few pot holes and the wheels are holding up fine. :thumbs up:

Stewart
7th February 2010, 08:41 PM
:blush:Sorry but is that powder coating or painting Craig?

GCA3N
7th February 2010, 08:47 PM

Pretty sure they were powder coated.

Craig
7th February 2010, 09:36 PM

Pretty sure they were powder coated.

Your right Greig, they are powder coated :-)

Knox18
7th February 2010, 10:53 PM
2 seasons of racing on powdercoated and re powdercoated rims done by Powdertec and i've never had a rim fail on me, (touch wood) they get a fair old bit of punishment!!!!

MrMischief
7th February 2010, 11:24 PM
TBH I think the place Alan took his wheels to in Carnoustie done a much better job than Powdertec.

I'm not to impressed with Powdertecs finish compared to Alan's wheels but powdertecs is not the worse.

the place in Cambuslang that I've used was terrible.

I may get my TD"S done in silver for summer and would make the effort to travel to Carnoustie

Malcolm how much are we talking for the silver S Spokes????

Coatech are about 5 mins walk from my house - don't know if that article is just referring to alloys but we had loads of kart chassis done by Coatech & never experienced any trouble with them.

emicen
8th February 2010, 01:50 PM
Powdercoated rims shouldnt be any weaker IF they were done properly. In theory, they could be weakened if the oven temp was wrong or the company decided to use some form of acidic cleaner to get the old paint off.

So I wouldnt be fussed as long as they were done by a reputable company.

weefossy
9th February 2010, 01:23 PM
Crombers, no need for GBH, will never will loose the love for S spokes and will always have a set just in case another convertible arrives some time...lol..... but at the moment we have 2 sets in the garage, hence why I made the offer to Shielz. In no panic to sell, unless I got a good offer, but will always keep one set.
Fi have sent you a PM.

Crombers
9th February 2010, 01:41 PM
Crombers, no need for GBH, will never will loose the love for S spokes and will always have a set just in case another convertible arrives some time...lol..... but at the moment we have 2 sets in the garage, hence why I made the offer to Shielz. In no panic to sell, unless I got a good offer, but will always keep one set.
Fi have sent you a PM.

I'm sorry ......................... but you've 'changed' :frown: :rolleyes:

The Dogfather
9th February 2010, 06:17 PM
I'm sorry ......................... but you've 'changed' :frown: :rolleyes:

He's probably realised that S-spokes kill a car's performance because of their weight.