PDA

View Full Version : Carbon fibre vinyl

GCA3N
3rd February 2010, 03:49 PM
Ok so my 3m di-noc carbon fibre arrived today as I have a few plans without spending a small fortune. This stuff is supposed to be the best and has only recently come down from £60 a meter to £40 a meter. Anyway I bought 1m square to see how it was.

http://i383.photobucket.com/albums/oo280/greigallan/Project6-4.jpg

The first this I would say is the stuff is amazing and well worth the money. What I would say is you need the patience of a saint and at least 4 hands, in other words a very patient wife too.

I firstly got the cap and cleaned it using glue/tar remover, then washed it to ensure no residue was left.

http://i383.photobucket.com/albums/oo280/greigallan/Project7-5.jpg

After that it was just a matter of getting the stuff on. One hour later and remarkably no swearing.

http://i383.photobucket.com/albums/oo280/greigallan/Project4-7.jpg

http://i383.photobucket.com/albums/oo280/greigallan/Project1-7.jpg

Once complete put the first one on the car to see how it looks.

http://i383.photobucket.com/albums/oo280/greigallan/Project2-6.jpg

http://i383.photobucket.com/albums/oo280/greigallan/Project9-4-1.jpg

http://i383.photobucket.com/albums/oo280/greigallan/Project8-4.jpg

Really, really happy with the overall look, i really looks and feels amazing. I have read somewhere you can lacquer it too.

Once I talk Kim into it will have a go and the second.

The Dogfather
3rd February 2010, 03:53 PM
I'm thinking of doing the TT's roof in this

Big Gordy
3rd February 2010, 03:55 PM
That looks pretty :cool: Greig. How easy/difficult was it to wrap round the cover without getting any wrinkles in it:confused: Did you need the hair drier:rolleyes: Looks good tho:thumbs up:

GCA3N
3rd February 2010, 03:58 PM
That looks pretty :cool: Greig. How easy/difficult was it to wrap round the cover without getting any wrinkles in it:confused: Did you need the hair drier:rolleyes: Looks good tho:thumbs up:

Yup hair drier, 4 hands and patience. The stuff stretches as you heat it. Defo not easy but just take your time. If you have someone else to help you, sorry you will need someone else to help you, this is not possible as a one person job, or atleast it's not doing the mirror caps.

GCA3N
3rd February 2010, 04:01 PM
I'm thinking of doing the TT's roof in this

Cool. that will set you back a bit, i think for the roof sized stuff you'll be looking at £100-£150. Going to try the light rings and maybe one or two internals, need to be careful and not go OTT i know what i'm like (remembering my cooper, as Rob says lol)

Livi
3rd February 2010, 04:12 PM
Cost effective headlight ring conversion! :D

GCA3N
3rd February 2010, 04:16 PM
Cost effective headlight ring conversion! :D

Oh yes. I'd love the genuine stuff but it's so expensive.

Livi
3rd February 2010, 04:23 PM
Greig, what website did you get it off, i might invest for the roof :D

ianking
3rd February 2010, 04:24 PM
That looks really good Greig.
I would really like to do the roof of my MINI. Wonder how many folk it would take to do the roof?

Stewart
3rd February 2010, 04:31 PM
Very well done I always like reading the Mod stuff, I think it looks smart with your black wheels.

Light rings and is the bonnet scoop next I bet.

Not too sure about all this Roof talk, think thats stretching it a bit, no pun intended. Would that not just look naf on such a big scale.

Livi
3rd February 2010, 04:35 PM
and is the bonnet scoop next I bet.

Not too sure about all this Roof talk, think thats stretching it a bit, no pun intended. Would that not just look naf on such a big scale.

Greig already has bonnet scoop :D

I dunno, i reckon if its done properly and laqed it would look ace!

Knox18
3rd February 2010, 04:40 PM
i have a contact high up in 3m, id love to do the race car in it haha!

GCA3N
3rd February 2010, 04:49 PM
Greig, what website did you get it off, i might invest for the roof :D

Got it from Fleabay, local seller.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320471727749&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_2231wt_952

Another seller got in contact with me too, he was fab with all the info, I had bought from the one listed above before he got in contact with me, but he would also be good, I think he is a tad cheaper too, this is his website.

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/underground-graphics/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p4340

Livi
3rd February 2010, 04:53 PM
Ahh UGG, i knew Graham who use to work there, there based in perth, unless they have moved now, thanks Greig :D

Sheilz
3rd February 2010, 05:00 PM

I kind of agree with you about covering large areas such as the roof. Only ones I've seen done like that have been old bangers and they just looked chavie not cool at all. Though if its lacquered and finished off properly it might look good.

I wouldn't have the patience for such painstaking work. The caps look perfect. A job very well done.

Stewart
3rd February 2010, 05:07 PM
Greig already has bonnet scoop :D

I dunno, i reckon if its done properly and laqed it would look ace!

Greigs Scoop CF thought it was just Black.

GCA3N
3rd February 2010, 05:27 PM
The caps look perfect. A job very well done.

Thanks

GCA3N
3rd February 2010, 05:30 PM
UPDATE:

Ok so first light ring off to try it out.

http://i383.photobucket.com/albums/oo280/greigallan/Project12-5.jpg

now the wrap on.

http://i383.photobucket.com/albums/oo280/greigallan/Project10-5.jpg

http://i383.photobucket.com/albums/oo280/greigallan/Project11-5.jpg

so so pleased, don't think the pics do it justice, it looks so smart, getting the hang of it now.

stoney
3rd February 2010, 05:33 PM
looking good greg just dont do to much you dont want to be chav man now do u

as for doing the roof of cars not to shure

but if any one needs a hand with a proper hot air gun then give me a shout as i have them for my work

Livi
3rd February 2010, 05:46 PM
looks amazing Greig, can you post up pics of it on the car? it will look the mutts!

N16SHP
3rd February 2010, 06:04 PM
Quality work Greg. Looks awsome!

MINI William
3rd February 2010, 06:34 PM
Greig great job:thumbs up:. But have to be honest and say that with your carbon scoop and the carbon vinyal just don't mix. The vinyal looks dull and even when it's got a coat of lacquer on it it just dosent compare as you dot get the depth you get with carbon. All IMHO ofcourse

Craig
3rd February 2010, 06:41 PM
that stuff looks :cool: Greig, I would agree with William on this a bit though and say that as long as you have all your bits done with it (and not some genuine Carbon) then it will match much better. maybe worth getting your old scoop out and covering it... Then you could get the ££ back on the genuine carbon scoop to pay for the 3m stuff... :thumbs up:

Great job tho, let me know when you want to do some of my car... :clap:

GCA3N
3rd February 2010, 06:47 PM
Greig great job:thumbs up:. But have to be honest and say that with your carbon scoop and the carbon vinyal just don't mix. The vinyal looks dull and even when it's got a coat of lacquer on it it just dosent compare as you dot get the depth you get with carbon. All IMHO ofcourse

Cheers, yeh you could be right, going to wait till the morning to see what I think

that stuff looks :cool: Greig, I would agree with William on this a bit though and say that as long as you have all your bits done with it (and not some genuine Carbon) then it will match much better. maybe worth getting your old scoop out and covering it... Then you could get the ££ back on the genuine carbon scoop to pay for the 3m stuff... :thumbs up:

Great job tho, let me know when you want to do some of my car... :clap:

Cheers Craig. Once I finish I should be an expert so if anyone wants some stuff done I'm sure I can sort something out.

GCA3N
3rd February 2010, 06:47 PM
Quality work Greg. Looks awsome!

cheers dude.

GCA3N
3rd February 2010, 06:48 PM
looks amazing Greig, can you post up pics of it on the car? it will look the mutts!

Thanks going to put a couple up from 2nite, will post some day time ones up tomorrow.

GCA3N
3rd February 2010, 06:53 PM
ok couple of piccies, obviously still to do washer covers,

http://i383.photobucket.com/albums/oo280/greigallan/Project2-7.jpg

http://i383.photobucket.com/albums/oo280/greigallan/Project1-8.jpg

Stewart
3rd February 2010, 06:55 PM
Very neat at the back of the Ring, missed you had the CF scoops on the car.
:blush:

I like the Rings done in this on your car as it has the black wheels, Grille, I just think it would out of place on my Mini for example that has all the chrome.

Were your original Mirrors White as seen in the last pic's and you got Blue covers?

GCA3N
3rd February 2010, 06:57 PM
Very neat at the back of the Ring, missed you had the CF scoops on the car.:blush:

Cheers, it is easy to do as it does look dark/black.

Scottie
3rd February 2010, 07:03 PM
need to sort your scoop out to match the rest. Looks Good.

I have real CF light rings front and rear: CF boot handle: CF indicator scuttles: CF Mirrors. I am a CF whore but I think I have it about right for the outside don't be tempted to do to much.

Stewart
3rd February 2010, 07:04 PM
Cheers, it is easy to do as it does look dark/black.

Aye but I should not be a fud and no read your Signature Mods to date white bonnet sport stripes, 3'' cobra twin exhausts, Alta induction filter, CF scoop and black TD 1.2's. :smilewinkgrin:

Bazthemod
3rd February 2010, 07:10 PM
Pretty snazzy! Are you going to lacquer?

RyanK
3rd February 2010, 07:44 PM
Sorry Greig not a fan personally. If your going to do carbon, do it right imo

For those interested in Carbon Roofs. Duell in Japan are currently selling them for the R56's. Look so awesome & I know a guy who can get you a hold of one ;)

GCA3N
3rd February 2010, 08:03 PM
Pretty snazzy! Are you going to lacquer?

Yup. Cheers

GCA3N
3rd February 2010, 08:04 PM
Sorry Greig not a fan personally. If your going to do carbon, do it right imo

For those interested in Carbon Roofs. Duell in Japan are currently selling them for the R56's. Look so awesome & I know a guy who can get you a hold of one ;)

You have a point but it does look good. Besides just don't have the money to buy the real stuff.

Scottie
3rd February 2010, 08:06 PM
You have a point but it does look good. Besides just don't have the money to buy the real stuff.

I'll be selling mines within the next few months.

GCA3N
3rd February 2010, 08:08 PM
I'll be selling mines within the next few months.

Keep me posted, remind me of the stuff you'd be selling.

baptie
3rd February 2010, 08:54 PM
Was looking at this but doing Matt Black on Mirror caps and Light Rings.
So, would you lacquer the ring once it has been covered, never heard of that?

The bonus is that if you get bored with it you can peel off.

I am looking at getting shot of blingy grill and getting the plain black one from Minisport / JC Price dependant, think the blacked out look is MINT.

Top Mods Dude

GCA3N
3rd February 2010, 09:12 PM
Was looking at this but doing Matt Black on Mirror caps and Light Rings.
So, would you lacquer the ring once it has been covered, never heard of that?

The bonus is that if you get bored with it you can peel off.

I am looking at getting shot of blingy grill and getting the plain black one from Minisport / JC Price dependant, think the blacked out look is MINT.

Top Mods Dude

Cheers. Yeh you lacquer on top of the vinyl.

illegalhunter
3rd February 2010, 09:58 PM
Well done , very nice work

GCA3N
3rd February 2010, 10:11 PM
Well done , very nice work

Cheers appreciated.

audrey
4th February 2010, 12:09 AM
Think it looks :cool::cool:

Well Done I would never have the patience for this :thumbs up:

Delboy
4th February 2010, 12:24 AM
Hi Greig,
Just catching up with your handiwork (was at the game :smilewinkgrin:) - it looks awesome :thumbs up:. I'm sure it looks even better in person too.
I think I might agree with some of the other comments about your CF air intake - might need to cover your old one to match the mirrors and lights.
If I ever want to use this stuff on my car at least I know who to call for help :lol:
Del

GCA3N
4th February 2010, 12:26 AM
Hi Greig,
Just catching up with your handiwork (was at the game :smilewinkgrin:) - it looks awesome :thumbs up:. I'm sure it looks even better in person too.
I think I might agree with some of the other comments about your CF air intake - might need to cover your old one to match the mirrors and lights.
If I ever want to use this stuff on my car at least I know who to call for help :lol:
Del

No bother del getting good at it after today's practice. Sprayed the CF now with 3 coats of lacquer and it looks fab, see what it's like tomorrow when I get all the bits on.

GCA3N
4th February 2010, 12:27 AM
Think it looks :cool::cool:

Well Done I would never have the patience for this :thumbs up:

Thanks you, yeh it's tricky to say the least.

Delboy
4th February 2010, 12:31 AM
No bother del getting good at it after today's practice. Sprayed the CF now with 3 coats of lacquer and it looks fab, see what it's like tomorrow when I get all the bits on.

Looking forward to seeing the photos!

GCA3N
4th February 2010, 11:40 AM
Got the stuff coated last night. Put 3 coats on so see what you think. Seen as this is now part of my gallery show case just going to put the end results in there.

RyanK
4th February 2010, 11:41 AM

Excuse me, that will look sweet. Pics when laqcuered please if you can

Cheers

N16SHP
4th February 2010, 11:47 AM
Im loving your lights Greg. I know myself and Ben were talking about it a few weeks ago, and I said I thought it may be too much, but no, I like it!

GCA3N
4th February 2010, 11:50 AM
Excuse me, that will look sweet. Pics when laqcuered please if you can

Cheers

Im loving your lights Greg. I know myself and Ben were talking about it a few weeks ago, and I said I thought it may be too much, but no, I like it!

cheers guys means alot, pics going on in a mo.

baptie
4th February 2010, 02:00 PM
A chink in my CF/Matt black plan.........The 'S' Headlamp scooties, Don't fancy my chances of the vinyl staying on them much!!!

GCA3N
4th February 2010, 02:04 PM
A chink in my CF/Matt black plan.........The 'S' Headlamp scooties, Don't fancy my chances of the vinyl staying on them much!!!

It sticks to everything and after you apply the heat and mold into place it it cools off and goes really hard. I worried about the xenon washer covers but it really is amazing stuff.