PDA

View Full Version : Coolant Loss and No Hot Air

koolsville
1st February 2010, 06:40 PM
My 52 Cooper is blowing cold air instead of hot and when I checked after the radiator fan came on when parked, my coolant level was way down.

I have replaced the cylinder head gaskets in the all of the last 3 cars I've owned. Cost me a small fortune. If I've got to do it to the MINI, I swear I'm going to blow my own head gasket!

Can someone please tell me the best possible scenario for my problem?

Gordon

GAJ
1st February 2010, 06:54 PM
best possible scenario - a leak in a really cheap pipe that's easy to get at! :-)

GCA3N
1st February 2010, 07:00 PM
best possible scenario - a leak in a really cheap pipe that's easy to get at! :-)

Ditto that, like you say head gasket is your worst case senerio. I had a very similar issue in my 2002 coop, turned out it was a leaking radiator, apparently they are bad for this in 2002/2003 R50's. (they suffer corrosion issue's)

ianking
1st February 2010, 08:02 PM
Radiator is bad for corroding at the bottom corner.
If I were you I would fill it right up then drive not very far to a trusted garage to get it checked over.
You dont want to potentially blow its heed aff if you cook it by driving about in it.

stoney
1st February 2010, 08:06 PM
Radiator is bad for corroding at the bottom corner.
If I were you I would fill it right up then drive not very far to a trusted garage to get it checked over.
You dont want to potentially blow its heed aff if you cook it by driving about in it.

what he said also the water coolent bottle likes to split at the seam

GCA3N
1st February 2010, 08:27 PM
what he said also the water coolent bottle likes to split at the seam

Good old mini nothings easy.

koolsville
1st February 2010, 08:37 PM
Thanks for info folks. Wish me luck.

stoney
2nd February 2010, 12:11 AM
good luck :p:thumbs up:

koolsville
16th February 2010, 08:47 PM
Update: It was the radiator - had to replace it. Could have been worse I suppose.

GCA3N
16th February 2010, 09:33 PM
leaking radiator, apparently they are bad for this in 2002/2003 R50's. (they suffer corrosion issue's)

Update: It was the radiator - had to replace it. Could have been worse I suppose.

glad to be of assistance.