PDA

View Full Version : Web site hosting

AndyP & Lenore
1st February 2010, 01:43 AM
The company that hosts my web site (Supanames) recently merged (read: sold-out to) 123-reg.com and their service has gone down the pan. It's ok if everything works but just when you need support you find it's no longer there. And what is there is frikking useless. :(

So I'm on the hunt for a new hosting company. Anyone use one they can recommend? Fi and Dogfather, who do you use? Any good?

Unfortunately, Supanames is where I recommended Gismo moved NMS to last year. Just hope there are never any problems because after 9 years of being a happy supanames customer, after 3 months of 123-reg, I'm offsky! :(

A.

The Dogfather
1st February 2010, 07:18 AM
Andy, I use Hostpapa, not sure I would recommend them though.

Recently we haven't had much downtime and when it does happen they're usually back up again fairly quickly.

Scottie
1st February 2010, 08:56 AM
I have my domain name with 123.reg and host my site of a friends server I have 24/7 support.

Gismo
1st February 2010, 09:54 AM
Yep, NMS and my bike site are with 123, but, everytime i have downtime it's usually back up and running after contacting them via their online support system

AndyP & Lenore
1st February 2010, 12:57 PM
Cheers folks.

Just not happy with 123-reg. Supanames was OK when it came to problems, but 123-reg just keep closing support tickets on me without the issue being resolved. I called their support line and I explained the problem to a guy, he said, "Hang on, you're a Supanames customer aren't you?" I said, Yes, and he said: "Although Supanames has merged with 123, we don't support their control panel so I can't help you." THEN HE HUNG UP.

So, Alan, I would watch out as I suspect they are fine while everything goes OK, but if something goes wrong and needs fixing, they could just show their true colours.

Also did a lot of searching hosting review sites and 123-reg look to be pretty much the biggest hosting company out there and they seldom review at more than 1.5 stars (out of 5), on any of the review sites.

Think I'm gonna sign up with www.justhost.com or www.hostclear.com Both essentially the same company but one is slightly more business orientated.

A.:D

Ally S
2nd February 2010, 10:44 PM
I'd have to recommend Easyspace as I can give you assistance if you have support or setup issues.

Is it shared hosting you have?

AndyP & Lenore
2nd February 2010, 11:12 PM
Ally, it's shared hosting I have. I have actually signed up with www.justhostme.co.uk. Their support agents were quickest to reply to questions and gave me the answers I was looking for. So, they got my Biz. Only paid for a year so if it's a nightmare, I can switch next year again.

A.

Ally S
4th February 2010, 08:06 PM
cool, haven't come across them before but best of luck

AndyP & Lenore
4th February 2010, 09:12 PM
cool, haven't come across them before but best of luck

Spot on so far. Migration of domains is all going well, and the site is currently uploading. It's just under 400mb so it's taking a while.

A.:D