PDA

View Full Version : Manky Spotlights

Fester
31st January 2010, 10:59 PM
My Spotlights have suffered over the last few months due to a little bit of neglect and the fact they were cheapo ones. The Chrome finish on them has now started to flake off and have become a little bit rusty in places.

My Question is has anyone tried to "respray" or coat them with anything different, I am thinking of getting them sanded down primed then sprayed either black or white, anyone tried this and what did you use?

Cheers
Stephen

GCA3N
31st January 2010, 11:28 PM
Have you thought about the plastidip road for them. If's its done right, on the right bits, it is very effective. If you want to respray them I've done a bit more than welcome to help you out for some advice, pm me if you want.

stoney
31st January 2010, 11:48 PM
if there metal then you could allways get them powder coated

Fester
1st February 2010, 03:46 PM
Have you thought about the plastidip road for them. If's its done right, on the right bits, it is very effective. If you want to respray them I've done a bit more than welcome to help you out for some advice, pm me if you want.

Cheers Grieg that was the route I was thinking about, thought I would see what other have done.

GCA3N
1st February 2010, 06:05 PM
Cheers Grieg that was the route I was thinking about, thought I would see what other have done.

I am not a massive fan of the stuff, in the fact it needs to be done on the right bits and it can be done overkill. However on spot lights it looks great.

G17RDY
1st February 2010, 08:29 PM
Yeah, my original mini ones are bubbling and rusting on the rear & there is condensation on the inside of the lens - Oh well they are six years old.

Anyway time for a refurb i think - I'm going to try somehow to reseal the lenses and possibly paint them black!!

Good luck with your own, let me know how it turns out, some works in progress shots would be nice!!!!

Stewart
1st February 2010, 09:20 PM
I have condensation on the inside of the lens on my 57 plate Fog light, might take it in as say I want it looked at.

If your spots have lasted six years, you've done well. Seen a few on cars and they do look poor when the car looks great but the spots are done.

GCA3N
1st February 2010, 09:56 PM
I have condensation on the inside of the lens on my 57 plate Fog light, might take it in as say I want it looked at.

If your spots have lasted six years, you've done well. Seen a few on cars and they do look poor when the car looks great but the spots are done.

This is very common, we trick to remedy it, get a silca gel pack (the ones you get in packages like shoes etc) they absorb moisture. Tape one inside the light, obviously behind the reflector out of site. This should sort your problem

MrMischief
1st February 2010, 11:45 PM
I whipped ours off a while ago as they were letting the car down - we both like the 'smooth look' but do miss the extra light. I bought a paint kit from JC's with the aim of sanding the rear section & spraying it Indi Blue to match the car, then using my dremel with dental brushes & polishing compound to tidy up the chrome rim & clear coating it to protect it.

However, having had the wee one & moving house I've not really had time to get the project up & running, so they're still sitting on the shelf. :frown:

ajamesj
9th February 2010, 09:48 PM
I used wetndry 1000 grit paper to sand mine down and then primed them and hav them painted Chilli Red works a treat been done since last summer and no rust so far

GCA3N
9th February 2010, 09:52 PM
My Spotlights have suffered over the last few months due to a little bit of neglect and the fact they were cheapo ones. The Chrome finish on them has now started to flake off and have become a little bit rusty in places.

My Question is has anyone tried to "respray" or coat them with anything different, I am thinking of getting them sanded down primed then sprayed either black or white, anyone tried this and what did you use?

Cheers
Stephen

hey do u want them carbon fibre wrapped I know a man who can do it.

Fester
3rd May 2010, 11:32 PM
well I finally got round to getting the spot lights resprayed ended up just using plastikote matt black not entirely happy with them but will do for now.

after sand blasting
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v140/stevedear/01052010188.jpg

1st coat
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v140/stevedear/01052010189.jpg

back on the car
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v140/stevedear/03052010192.jpg

GCA3N
4th May 2010, 06:06 AM
I think that look good fester. Why did you not paint them though.

Also if you want them sprayed send the backs to me and i'll spray them for you.:thumbs up:

Fester
4th May 2010, 10:28 PM
cheers, they were sprayed using the plastikote, thought it might be a bit more durable, the new workshop has all the kit in it so may strip them again and have another go,only way i'll learn to do it right.

GCA3N
5th May 2010, 05:56 AM
cheers, they were sprayed using the plastikote, thought it might be a bit more durable, the new workshop has all the kit in it so may strip them again and have another go,only way i'll learn to do it right.

Absolutely. What I would say is the plastidip is only perminant when sprayed onto a primer (so i believe) when you put it straight onto cromed platic for example it just peels off like a skin so to speak. Why not go for colour coded to your car?