PDA

View Full Version : Golf Outing

Gismo
14th June 2004, 08:06 PM
As the name suggests, are there any NMS golfing geeks out there who fancy a days golf at Montrose :question:
Not sure on costs yet as i'm trying to gauge interest first.
Montrose has two courses, the championship course at over 6000 yards hosted the qualifying rounds for the 1999 British Open held at Carnoustie where Paul Lawrie defied all the odds to win.
The second course is a bit of a breather though not easy at just over 3500 yards.

The day would consist of bacon rolls in the morning, then we play the championship course, soup and sandwiches then a stroll round the wee course in the afternoon, followed by a meal and a prize giving of some sort.
We can play a stableford format or whatever we decide.

I would suggest that we play midweek, which may not suit everyone as time off work may be required, so, let me know if anyone is interested and if you are available

Interested
1) Bonnie Scotland
2) Wul ( BIG maybe)
3) Craigd
4) Willie M (Hole In 1 King)
5) Big Col (maybe, the new Wul)
6) phantom
7) Duncan Stewart
13) low_n_loud1 ;)

Course Choice
Morning, Championship Course, Afternoon, Broomfield Course
1) Willie M
2) Bonnie Scotland

Alternatively, 2 rounds on the Broomfield Course
1) Big Col
2) low_n_loud1
3) phantom
4) Duncan Stewart
5) craigd

Burple
14th June 2004, 11:37 PM
Hmmm... having not played golf for a wee while....

make that about 5 years...
yeah... what the hell... put me down for a bash if the dates are ok!! :D

Wul
15th June 2004, 12:03 AM
Could be interested in this Alan - depends on dates though as i realy don't have much time off left from work! :(

zimbo
15th June 2004, 01:19 AM
quote:Originally posted by low_n_loud1

Hmmm... having not played golf for a wee while....

make that about 5 years...
yeah... what the hell... put me down for a bash if the dates are ok!! :D

HA HA... yeah right!!! He who moans and slags golf all the time, more like 25yrs since he held a club.:D

ny152
15th June 2004, 04:44 AM
I've never played golf in my life (crap at pitch n putt as well, not like Willie M).

Would the course be a no-no for a total beginner, one who is totally awful at any sport :clown:?

Quite fancy something like this though. Can you hire clubs, etc at the course as well? Oh yes, and I take it they're okay with us driving between tee's in our cars..... :p

Big Col
15th June 2004, 04:52 AM
I'm well up for this! Hey Greensomes anyone?

Gismo
15th June 2004, 05:42 AM
quote:Originally posted by GoldminiWould the course be a no-no for a total beginner, one who is totally awful at any sport :clown:?:pA handicap certificate may be required, the championship course would not be fun for a beginner

ny152
15th June 2004, 05:50 AM
In that case I'd better give it a miss then :(.

Gismo
15th June 2004, 05:58 AM
quote:Originally posted by Goldmini
In that case I'd better give it a miss then :(.We can always play the smaller course twice, that way everyone gets involved :)

Craig
15th June 2004, 06:20 AM
BS,

having spoken to you briefly at the West Coast Run about this, I would be interested. As I mentioned, I'm not a member of a club, therefore don't have a handicap certificate. Let me know dates when you can and I will confirm for definate.

cheers

Craig

Willie M
15th June 2004, 03:31 PM
ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME, can I play? Can I? Pleeeaassee!!! :p
Great idea Alan ;):D

Big Col
15th June 2004, 04:03 PM
heh. Willie M with his lowered pink golf buggy with chrome wheels and furry dice.

Gismo
15th June 2004, 04:53 PM
quote:Originally posted by Willie M
ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME, can I play? Can I? Pleeeaassee!!! :pNo :evil: only people who take the game seriously and don't go on about silly little hole in 1's ;)

Burple
15th June 2004, 11:35 PM
quote:Originally posted by Big Col
heh. Willie M with his lowered pink golf buggy with chrome wheels and furry dice.

Heh heh heh...
With the 22" rims and pink fluffy seats... :D:D

anyway.. I'm in the same boat as Craig, no Handicap, Golf Clubs are not on my list of favourite places to be in... ;)

Big Col
16th June 2004, 04:26 PM
<jumps up and down waving> Hey BS! I said I'd be up for this! I ain't on the list. :(

Gismo
16th June 2004, 07:01 PM
For those who have expressed an interest, which day through the week would best suit :question:
I'm offshore at the moment but feel the week beginning the 5th July is a likely candidate

There is a local major tournament on the last week of July, so, the championship course will be tougher than usual.
I'm not trying to put anyone off and would prefer a bigger turn out, so, if you could also advise which course you would prefer to play

Morning, Championship Course, Afternoon, Broomfield Course
1)
2)

Alternatively, 2 rounds on the Broomfield Course
1)
2)

Big Col
16th June 2004, 10:48 PM
I'd go for 2 rounds of the easy course since I ain't hit a ba' in ages.

Burple
16th June 2004, 11:39 PM
Either course would be fine for me, but bear in mind that I ain't a member of no steenkeeng golf club, oh... an I don't have a (GOLF!) handicap...
<Eyes Big C suspiciously> :blackeye:;):evil:

Any day really is fine too, axcept maybe Wednesday at a push (project team meetings... joy..)

Craig
17th June 2004, 01:55 AM
Cannae make the 5th July as I'll be in sunny florida (hopefully getting a few rounds of golf on some great courses...:p) Sorry.

Once I come back time off during the week is normally not a problem, just need a few days notice.

Wul
17th June 2004, 03:51 AM
quote:Originally posted by Big Col
<jumps up and down waving> Hey BS! I said I'd be up for this! I ain't on the list. :(

Surely I must be reading things - Big Col making an appearance at an NMS event - who does he think he is.......me?;):blackeye:

Willie M
17th June 2004, 03:33 PM
W/C 5th July would suit me. Either option but to be honest, I would'nae mind a shot on the big course :approve:

Big Col
17th June 2004, 03:57 PM
You may have spoken too soon Wul. I just had a look at me works holiday charts for July. I cannie really get any time off as other people are away every week that month. :(

phantom
18th June 2004, 03:27 AM
Love to play at this, dont have any handicap bits so, got me bats though, love to have a game again, cant remember how long it is since I last played. So put me down as a definate, but if I need a cirtificate, then I'm stuffed.:p:p:p

Gismo
18th June 2004, 03:52 AM
quote:Originally posted by phantom
Love to play at this, dont have any handicap bits so, got me bats though, love to have a game again, cant remember how long it is since I last played. So put me down as a definate, but if I need a cirtificate, then I'm stuffed.:p:p:pAny choice of course???
And that goes for the others who expressed an interest to play

The handicap certificate may not be required, but, the championship course may be a bit daunting for occasional golfers and therefore would not be much fun, i'm trying to ensure a fun day out for all

phantom
18th June 2004, 04:03 AM
Yo Alan, I'm easy, how about if the serious golfers play the the championship course in morning, whislt us novices play the other, then we all play the other in afternoon, or is this complicating matters. But I will be there for the day if I have fun or not!:p:p

Gismo
18th June 2004, 05:48 AM
how about if the serious golfers play the the championship course in morning, whislt us novices play the other, then we all play the other in afternoonThat's a good idea, still waiting for some to post their choice, the peeps playing the big course would need to tee off around 30 mins before the others

Duncan Stewart
18th June 2004, 06:18 PM
Well coming from St Andrews I suppose I sould say something on this thread :D. We got golf lessons at school :cool: and I spent many a happy saturday hacking big divots out of the 9 hole course :I:clown: (don't think it's there now). Played off & on over the years but never joined a club or got a handicap certificate. Depending on the dates put me down as a maybe ( Monday 19th July is a holiday at my work anyway if thats any good?) for the NON championship course. Don't expect me to be any good tho! ;)

Burple
21st June 2004, 07:35 PM
quote:Originally posted by Bonnie Scotland

how about if the serious golfers play the the championship course in morning, whislt us novices play the other, then we all play the other in afternoonThat's a good idea, still waiting for some to post their choice, the peeps playing the big course would need to tee off around 30 mins before the others

I think I'll be brave then... and say any option of Courses would be fine for me..
Used to play the Ashludie (quite regularly) and the Medal (occaisionally) courses in Monifieth quite a lot...
The variety would be good, but if you need me to make up numbers anywhere else, that's fine too :D

Gismo
21st June 2004, 07:42 PM
Ok, i'm just waiting for Wul, craigd, Coldmini and phantom to nominate their preferred choice of course and i'll get prices sorted out

phantom
22nd June 2004, 03:15 AM

Ok, i'm just waiting for Wul, craigd, Coldmini and phantom to nominate their preferred choice of course and i'll get prices sorted out

Alan, I'm easy so whatever, whenever to make up right numbers is fine by me, I will be there and dont mind which couses I play.:D:D

Willie M
22nd June 2004, 03:18 PM
I'm afraid I couldn't make it on the Friday (9th). Got a prior engagement at the Barclays Scottish Open at Loch Lomond ;):cool:
Don't let this scupper your plans though Alan. If you decide it's got to be the Friday please just go ahead. Afraid I'll just have to miss out 8)

Craig
22nd June 2004, 03:20 PM
as I'm a bit of a wooossseee, I'd prefer the non-championship course, again, this depends if I'm back from holiday when you are playing.:)

cheers

Craig

Gismo
22nd June 2004, 03:28 PM
It's looking ever likely i will get home on friday 25th June, or monday 28th, which means we can play almost any day next week.

How about next Thursday 1st July, that way Big Col and craigd will manage to play :cool:

ny152
22nd June 2004, 04:48 PM

Coldmini here :D.
Sorry Alan, thought you had left me off this thread now, just happened to be browsing around. Think I will have to pass on this one. Having never ever played golf before would probably keep everyone back.

<Goldmini trots off to driving range to hit his balls :blackeye:>

Gismo
22nd June 2004, 08:45 PM
Taps fingers on desk patiently waiting for WUL to make a decision

Wul
22nd June 2004, 08:51 PM

Taps fingers on desk patiently waiting for WUL to make a decision

Eh...what....who said that <Wul wakes up!> well if I was pushed to make a choice then both would be great for me - however the dates are too early for me i'm afraid as End of july would suit me better but getting time off is tricky with short notice!

I really am a big maybe for this guys, so please don't arrange around my constraints (like you ever do;)) so go-ahead and i'll see what i can do once you sort a date out.

Cheers:)

Wul
22nd June 2004, 08:53 PM
Surely KenL is the only truly qualified person to attend this event given his recent mode of transport!?:p

Gismo
22nd June 2004, 08:58 PM
Wul, given that we will play within the next two weeks i guess you won't make it, the last week of July is a no no as there is a large local tournament that is reserved for the 180 odd players only

So, never pulled a sickie :eek::blackeye:;):)

Gismo
22nd June 2004, 09:04 PM
Ok guys, if we leave Wul out that gives us 7 interested, 2 of which defo want to play the big course and 5 for the smaller.
Of the 5 for the smaller course there are 2 who would play the big course, so, i propose that 3 of us play the big course (3rd person TBA) and 4 play the smaller course and then we all play the smaller course in the afternoon

That being ok we need to agree to the 1st July as the date to play??

Burple
22nd June 2004, 09:42 PM
quote:
That being ok we need to agree to the 1st July as the date to play??

ummmm....erm... bugger...

I'm on a course all next week (and not a golf course!) I just found out...
Unfortunately I can't cancel it cos it's a work thing, so I'm afraid next week will be out for me :(:mad::disapprove:
Ar$e!

Gismo
23rd June 2004, 12:19 AM
Damn, best laid plans and all that, well, only way round it is to say what dates you cannot manage

phantom
23rd June 2004, 03:09 AM
Right here I go, dates I can't make:

1st, 8th, 9th, 14th and 28th July. I think that it.

Duncan Stewart
23rd June 2004, 04:11 AM
I'm not very free the next few weeks I'm afraid but don't mind me - you guys just go ahead and play.
Away on holiday Friday 25/6 to Sunday 11/7 (but home 3/7 for Arbroath show)
cannot get day off work on 14/7, 16/7, 20/7

Willie M
23rd June 2004, 03:26 PM
Only date I couldn't make would be Friday 9th. Other than that, BRING IT ON!! :approve:

KenL
23rd June 2004, 04:21 PM
quote:Originally posted by Wul

Surely KenL is the only truly qualified person to attend this event given his recent mode of transport!?:p

Yes, I drive a Golf and have an official 10 handicap :p

I would like to attend but work is crazy at the moment and unlikely to get a day off to attend.

If I were going I'd like a crack at the BIG course ;)

Craig
24th June 2004, 02:40 AM
I'm unavailable from this friday (25th) to tues 13th July as I'm on holiday. (Sunny Florida here i come!!!:cool::cool:)

I'm available once I get back though if thats of any help.

Craig

Gismo
24th June 2004, 03:34 PM
Looks likely i will only manage from now until the 16th July, so, i reckon we are fast approaching a low turn out or not at all, so, here is the deal, does/can anyone join me for a days golf on Thursday 1st July :question:

No prices yet, looking for 3 players to make a foursome, 1 round on the championship course in the morning and then a round on the wee course in the afternoon.

I know this is not gonna suit everyone but having tried to organise it i want to play

Willie M
24th June 2004, 03:36 PM

does/can anyone join me for a days golf on Thursday 1st July :question:

I'll be there Alan, count me in :approve:

Wul
24th June 2004, 05:02 PM
Sorry Alan - no-go for me. Great idea though and i'd definately try to come along to an outing another time.

Gismo
24th June 2004, 05:27 PM
quote:Originally posted by Wul
Sorry Alan - no-go for me. Great idea though and i'd definately try to come along to an outing another time. :evil:;)

Willie, what time would suit you for the first tee time in the morning :question: I'm reckoning on you being the furthest traveller :)

Burple
24th June 2004, 05:37 PM
Sorry big man..

No can do.... :(
I'll be waist deep in Fisher-Price ...erm Mac Manuals on a training course... ;);):p:D

Yeah Yeah.. I know... only a couple will be high enough... give it your best shot...
Bring it on!!! :blackeye:;):D:cool::evil:

Gismo
24th June 2004, 05:44 PM
I'm sorry Ewan, but the timing may not have been the best for everyone, plus i'm now hoping to go away for a few days the following week to Alton Towers :p

Stands back and waits for the wasit high jokes to start rolling in :D

phantom
25th June 2004, 03:50 AM
Sorry Alan, not the 1st, but please lets get another date later as well, cos I really want to play.:(

Gismo
25th June 2004, 07:44 PM
Looks like just you and me Willie :(

CooperTrooper
25th June 2004, 10:23 PM
what are you'se playing? mini golf? telescopic golf clubs? :D

i can only just get me golf shoes in me mini! :cool:

Willie M
28th June 2004, 04:03 PM

Looks like just you and me Willie :(
Sorry it's taken me a wee bit to get back, been offline for a few days. Thursday would suit me fine Alan, I can get nyself up to Montrose for about 9am if that suits you. Drop me an e-mail at my works address and we can square things up if you like.

Gismo
28th June 2004, 04:36 PM
If your keen for the two of us to play, tee booked for 9.34 for the championship course, may have to be bacon rolls at the Mercer residence though :p
We can play the wee course in the afternoon, don't have to book that, just walk on

Come on peeps, anyone else :)

Gismo
30th June 2004, 04:15 PM
I hope tomorrow's better than today, a wee bit windy and wet, Willie, i'll keep you informed, no sense in driving through for a soaking :(

Willie M
1st July 2004, 07:13 AM
The forecast's looking a wee bit better for tomorrow (fingers crossed). I'll be there at 9am Alan, unless the weather's really shocking.

Gismo
1st July 2004, 07:30 AM
Ok Willie, i'll phone you when i get up if the weather is dodgy

Gismo
2nd July 2004, 02:09 AM
What a great day it turned out to be, Willie and I had a good days golf and eating :p
Many thanks for coming Willie

Willie M
2nd July 2004, 04:11 PM
Many thanks Alan, thoroughly enjoyed the day. Must admit the 'big course' certainly tested my mental resolve though :eek:. Thank goodness there was only a mild breeze to contend with and not a full scale twister ;):D

I certainly slept well last night :sleepy: Must've been the fresh sea air (or was it the lager?) :clown:

Wul
2nd July 2004, 06:03 PM
Are you sure you chaps made it out on the course? or did you spend the day at the 19th hole? :p

Gismo
2nd July 2004, 07:52 PM
Not only that, some sand castles were being made at a few holes ;)

Willie M
2nd July 2004, 10:54 PM

some sand castles were being made at a few holes ;)
Hmmmm..... I suppose a handful of 'interesting' bunker shots were attempted in the morning, most of them quite successfully I may add.

It's worth noting that I didn't use my sand wedge at all in the afternoon though :approve: Oh well, okay, I guess I did use it once to fish my ball out of one of the burns :I