PDA

View Full Version : One for the Techy Geeks !

Craig
29th January 2010, 12:56 AM
I went to a friends house last night to look at a wireless problem (I hate looking at wireless networks as they can be a pain..:frown:)

anyway, this was a new PC bought at xmas for their daughter, it has a PCI Realtek 8185 Extensible Wireless card in it. The PC is running Windows 7. The problem is it sees the wireless network, tries to connect and then just says that it is unable to connect (sits in the network connection centre as "identifying"). :rolleyes: The first issue I found out is that the Windows 7 PC needed WPA PSK2 encryption set on the router (and obviously at it's end) to even try to connect. I did get it connected for about 5 mins, then it disconnected and would not reconnect.

I have switched off IPv6 as I have read on many forums that this causes problems. I did try to download a new driver for it from realteks website, but their site is pants.. :argh:

In the end I pulled out an old USB Belkin Wireless G Adapter, plugged it in, download new drivers and it worked first time and is still working...:rolleyes::thumbs up: So it would appear to be a driver issue with the device, or the device is buggered...

Anyone had an issue like this, if so how did you fix it? She doesn't want to take it back to the shop as she will more than likely get taken for a mug... (and they will prob just say it's a driver prob anyway :ragin:)

Any help appreciated :yes nod:

zimbo
29th January 2010, 01:06 AM
Well I came in here as you do to see what the threads about, have now read it, so will now turn around and run back out the door as quick as I can... :Whistle: This is way above my head and thats why I left.. lol
(Sorry Craig) :laugh:

Craig
29th January 2010, 01:11 AM
Well I came in here as you do to see what the threads about, have now read it, so will now turn around and run back out the door as quick as I can... :Whistle: This is way above my head and thats why I left.. lol

nae worries mate - you just get the kettle on... :D

stoney
29th January 2010, 09:17 AM
nae worries mate - you just get the kettle on... :D

he needs to get out of his tent first :lol:

Gismo
29th January 2010, 11:14 AM
Certainly sounds like a driver issue.
I know everything is now working, but, if you want, try here (http://www.downloadatoz.com/driver/item_240510.html)

These drivers are Windows 7 suitable

I assume that you connected initially to that router via an ethernet cable?? often the pc needs direct connection to start, this allows you to alter any settings, set passwords etc and then you can remove the router.

Craig
29th January 2010, 12:40 PM
Certainly sounds like a driver issue.
I know everything is now working, but, if you want, try here (http://www.downloadatoz.com/driver/item_240510.html)

These drivers are Windows 7 suitable

I assume that you connected initially to that router via an ethernet cable?? often the pc needs direct connection to start, this allows you to alter any settings, set passwords etc and then you can remove the router.

The router was connected to another pc, it was never directly connected to this pc. It is 2 floors above ! I'll try that link. Cheers Alan

Gismo
29th January 2010, 01:38 PM
The router was connected to another pc, it was never directly connected to this pc. It is 2 floors above ! I'll try that link. Cheers AlanI'd still try connecting it, you'd have to take the pc downstairs

euan
29th January 2010, 03:35 PM
Driver link - one issued 4 days ago for Windows 7:

http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=1&PFid=1&Level=6&Conn=5&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false&Downloads=true#351

Craig
29th January 2010, 03:55 PM
Driver link - one issued 4 days ago for Windows 7:

http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=1&PFid=1&Level=6&Conn=5&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false&Downloads=true#351

Thanks Euan. Will give it a try next week :D

Crombers
30th January 2010, 07:20 PM

Makes two of us, have not got a feckin clue what our Craigyboy is on about here ............................

Ally S
2nd February 2010, 10:49 PM
I had issues with the encryption (using a variety of vista/linux and xp) and instead turned it off and just used the MAC address to restrict access.

If I got one machine working with WPA the other one would stop working.