PDA

View Full Version : For The Black Car/Roof Owners

garywatt
14th June 2004, 06:25 PM
Hi all

I am pretty sure there is a great muckle gull dancing on my roof every morning. Splattered sometimes with muck and also some of those spiderweb type scratches.

Guys, what's best for the paintwork?

Thought about that Colorcote stuff but is it eh best to get? I've got quite a bit of polish stocked over the years but looking for something that is pretty good at keeping the black colour.

Comments appreciated.

Cheers

Gary

Gismo
14th June 2004, 06:36 PM
Meguiars

Big Col
14th June 2004, 07:45 PM
<waits patiently for Wul>

Wul
14th June 2004, 07:48 PM
Ooh did someone say polish? :p

Well gary - where do we start? ;) As a black car owner I have learnt a few do's and don'ts for keeping the black looking good and the scratches at bay!

Washing: - invest in a deep pile lambswool wash mitt such at the meguiars one - this reduces the wash inflicted scratches as it draws the dirt into the pile. A sponge simply traps the dirt on the surface and then as you wash it's scoring the paint surface :: use the 2-bucket method - one with wash solution, one with clean water - dip mitt into clean water and rinse any dirt out before putting it into the wash mix every time - this keeps your wash mix soapy, clean and reduces the chances of putting grit back on the car from dirty water :: wash in straight lines - never circles as these can cause swirls - forward to back on horizontal surfaces, up and down on the vertical surfaces :: when rinsing let the water "sheet" off by taking the nozzle off the hose/watering can :: be careful with chamoix leathers etc - they must be clean and grit free - I prefer a good microfibre drying towel and use it like a water blade/ squeedgy to force any water of the car and blot any bits left.

To get rid of your existing problems meguiars Scratch X will do the trick - it will remove the worst of the cobweb swirls and bird poo etching - for a more thorough scrub - use megs clear coat body scrub - use an applicator pad or folded cotton towel to apply, and good microfibre towel to buff up and NEVER let it dry as it's a PITA to remove when dry - a panel at a time and then buff up.

Waxes - good ones to use after a prep like above are pure waxes rather than cleaner waxes - I personally have tried the black T-cut Colourcoat stuff and thought it was pants - once the paints back in tip-top shape a coat of meguiars gold class clear coat wax or NXT tech wax will keep it looking A1 - apply sparingly with the supplied applicator pad - work in till it almost disappears, apply to the whole car in a oner leave to cure for 20mins then buff up with a good microfibre towel.

Finally - keep a bottle of Meguiars quick detailer in the cubbies in the boot with a terry towel and use to remove any bird poo asap as it will etch your paint if left on. Using it after washing between waxes keeps the shine looking soooperb too!

Hope this helps.

Phew! :)

Big Col
14th June 2004, 08:15 PM
Wul...you're a very helpful and kind dude. A top quality bloke by all accounts. As a result I think all of us NMS members should club together and see if we can't buy you a life. It's the least we can do. :)

garywatt
14th June 2004, 08:41 PM
Wul

Thanks for all that. Much appreciated.

I've had a look on their website and will try to get an order off this week.

Felling a littel guilty, the weekend just passed is the first one I have not washed/cleaned the car since I got it :I

Cheers

Gary

Big Gordy
14th June 2004, 08:43 PM
I'm going to print that off and keep it...........just in case :p:D:approve:

Wul
15th June 2004, 03:41 AM
Big Col - your kindness knows no bounds! ;)

Gary - check out www.speeding.co.uk or www.seriousperformance.co.uk for the megs range with free postage :)

Heather
15th June 2004, 06:31 AM
Got black roof and took wuls advice. What can i say...the mans a demi god!:D

Wul
15th June 2004, 06:08 PM
:I

ELFMAN
17th June 2004, 04:31 AM
Bloody Hell, Wul, I feel so inadequate (again). I thought I was doing well to give it a good wash every week........now it's up and down, no swirls, Lambswool Mitts.....Microfibre towels!!!!!!!!!!!!
Look car, I'm REALLY SORRY....... I don't suppose the Optimax makes up for it?

Right Wul, now my bloody car's gone in the huff - it's all your fault!

garywatt
17th June 2004, 04:43 AM
Hi all

Received an order today for NXT Generation Tech Wax :)

Quite a few products that I would like but it's pretty expensive. Chose this to get started so see how it goes. I should have really purchased one of the mits but will do that the next time.

If the rain keeps off I'll be applying at the weekend........so if anyone sees me going around........give me black roof the once over :cool:

Thanks all for the comments.

Cheers

Gary

garywatt
19th June 2004, 09:57 PM
Hi all

Gave the roof a going over yesterday between the showers.

Stuff went on and polished off great. Looking from the bedroom window, it's pretty well beaded. Will probably have a go with another layer before the ******* seagulls appear for a tapdance.

Cheers

Gary

monkimagic
25th June 2004, 11:50 PM
Oh I need to get mesel some o that, I have been wonerdering where these scratches have come from.

Thanx Wul

Fontal
26th June 2004, 12:38 AM
quote:Originally posted by garywatt

Hi all

great muckle gull

Is there a bit of Shelty in you there:question:

garywatt
29th June 2004, 07:31 PM
Hi all

Gave the roof another application at the weekend and it's great :D

Even after the thunderstorms on Sunday and all that rain......water beaded and not a mark on the roof at all after it dried up.

I was right about the birds though........caught a Starling sitting on the roof near the windscreen.....low and behold.....bit sh*t down the front :(

weefossy
30th June 2004, 06:49 AM
Wul, does your expertise (obsession) run to soft tops? That's the one thing that worries me about having bought this convertible. The state the back end of the hood will get, in the winter. Any tips for me, apart from don't buy a convertible?

Wul
30th June 2004, 05:02 PM
Weefossy - sorry but i'm clueless on the old soft top front - a few of the guys on here have had them in the past i'm sure and will no doubt impart their expertise to you!

or you can post here and you'll get plenty of answers: http://shop.meguiars.co.uk/phpBB2/index.php