PDA

View Full Version : Hi all newbie here advise needed

R6_stu
25th January 2010, 09:49 PM
Hi all,
my 2003 mini cooper has started to make a noise from the gearbox and it gets louder when i get up the gears into 5th its a sort of whirling noise but it goes away when i put the clutch in or when i put the car in neutral and just roll.
Is this the clutch release bearing or is it something else?
Also if it is the clutch release bearing is it expensive to fix?
Thanks

Sheilz
26th January 2010, 01:25 AM
I think the people who could advise you have missed your thread. Sorry don't know enough about it to offer help.

Craig
26th January 2010, 08:28 AM
Hmm... my 2006 car had the noise when the car was ticking over WITHOUT the clutch depressed, when the clutch was engaged the noise went away. That ended up being the gearbox at fault and they replaced that and the clutch under warranty. I think I am right in saying that it should be the clutch release bearing. I also believe that to change it, you need to take the gearbox out. Depends on if you can do it yourself or not which will mean whether it is expensive or not. Also if you are doing the release bearing, while the gearbox is out, it makes sense to replace the clutch aswell. :thumbs up:

Hope this helps, maybe someone who has had this specific prob will be along soon.... JOHN!!! JOHN!!! where are you !!! :lol:

ianking
26th January 2010, 09:25 AM
Sounds to me like the release bearing. Gearbox and clutch out job. Clutch kit with bearing is about £150 I think but its the labour that really bumps it up.