PDA

View Full Version : Garage rip off

GCA3N
25th January 2010, 07:56 PM
I have a friend who took their 27 month old X3 into the garage last week, apparently as she pulled up to the lights the brakes failed. Anyway she, knowing the brakes were not working correctly, drove to the BMW garage. ( A whole other story)

They said they would have a look and see, stating that it was probably new pads. She asked what it was likely to cost, they said they would do an inspection first, and then carry out the work. They also said that it would be just as well to change the disc's at the same time as they do not recommend only doing the pads, she said so how much, wait for it £570 they quoted.

Anyway she said it was too much and then drove to a local garage saying the same thing, the guy said BMW pads are bad for that, you always have to press them twice first time to get rid of the moisture...WTF.
So the guy said I'll have look. Anyway she got a call the next day the guy had taken it apon himself to change the pads and discs ( Fronts only) saying they always get done as a pair. Now bearing in mind this would be a 1-2 hour job tops they charged her £375 (£60 discs, £40 pads and £30 for sensors, then £245 for labour)

What is the world becoming, I mean I love this girl but she is all fluffy pink and powder puff dogs, so when It comes to cars she couldn't blow the tyres up herself, so these people are totally ripping her off, needless to say raging.

euan
25th January 2010, 08:26 PM
There is a whole other issue - did the brakes actually need doing? I've read a few places are now trying to get people to pay for these when they don't really need doing. BMW told me the car needed new ones at one service, it went back in for some other work and they did the same check less a month later and they said they'd checked the brakes and they were fine.

What can you do?

badwolf340
25th January 2010, 08:39 PM
Totally wrong for garage to go ahead and not phone person who own's car,but right saying disc's to be changed as a pair.It seem's that you have to buy car's and also tell garage's what to do and not to do ,or else you can end up with a hugh bill.Who can you trust these day's,seem's to be they are all out to shaft people.

ianking
25th January 2010, 08:46 PM
Dont tar all garages with the same brush though. There are still a couple honest ones.

My step Dad owns a garage and regularly gets other folk in the trade teling him that he is 'too' honest. He often tells folk that are getting a service done to come back in and see him in 3 months as the brakes will last a bit longer, where as other places would hit them with a big bill from the off.
A friend of a friend had their 320d E46 in at an Edinburgh sea front BMW dealership recently for an esstimate and simply couldnt believe what they were quoting. Service, all new brakes and a couple other bits quoted as well. They had never used My steppie before but my friend had told him to go there. They took the list from the bmw dealership and after Norman went over the car he simply had to strip and clean the brakes and give it a service, the other parts that were quoted still had about 6 months left to go. Bill was about £1000 less.

GCA3N
25th January 2010, 09:31 PM
Dont tar all garages with the same brush though. There are still a couple honest ones.

Please don't get me wrong, totally agree i know a couple of excellent garages where I would trust them explicitly, but you would have to agree there are a lot more cowboys out there than reputable ones.

Craig
25th January 2010, 09:43 PM
Please don't get me wrong, totally agree i know a couple of excellent garages where I would trust them explicitly, but you would have to agree there are a lot more cowboys out there than reputable ones.

I agree 100% which is why I am still using my local garage for all our cars (although once my MINI is out of warranty - oh no wait does it really have one of those.. :lol: it will go there). It is also where the car will go next week to get the headlight levelling problem fixed as MINI won't fix a faulty part of theirs under warranty - thats the customer's job.. :rolleyes:

Delboy
25th January 2010, 10:45 PM
I obviously know who you're talking about Greig - what a shame :frown:. I get really angry when folk are ripped off (whether by a garage or shop or whatever) and their lack of knowledge is exploited by some heartless tosser - I'd love to put them out of business.

GCA3N
25th January 2010, 11:07 PM
I obviously know who you're talking about Greig - what a shame :frown:. I get really angry when folk are ripped off (whether by a garage or shop or whatever) and their lack of knowledge is exploited by some heartless tosser - I'd love to put them out of business.

I was raging because I txt her to call me b4 she put it in:argh::argh:

Crombers
26th January 2010, 06:43 PM
my MINI is out of warranty

MINI for sale peeps, watch this space......................................

Craig
26th January 2010, 06:48 PM
MINI for sale peeps, watch this space......................................

G I R U Y :moonie::hand:

GCA3N
26th January 2010, 06:58 PM
G I R U Y :moonie::hand:

This was a new one to me so had to google it.