PDA

View Full Version : When is a Warranty Claim.......

Craig
25th January 2010, 06:14 PM
....not a warranty claim.... :confused:

Put my car in my friendly local dealer and asked them to look at the passenger door handle (exterior) as I was the only one who could open it :lol: Anyway, it was prob due to lack of use, so a bit of lube and it's sorted.

it was also in to get the Auto levelling of the lights sorted. Prob wasn't sorted as they didn't have the parts in stock (no surprise there, think all MINI Parts depts just keep number plates, windscreen wash, wiper blades and oil in stock.. :thud:) I was then politely informed that BMW hadn't confirmed if the warranty would cover the fault as it was down to corrosion :argh:

Got a call about half an hour ago to say BMW had made the decision and the fault was not covered by the warranty. it was down to corrosion on one of the sensors. :rolleyes: So I was charged £50 for an "Investigation Fee" and a report will be sent out to my home address.

I have decided to get the work done at a local garage I have used for 20 years as their hourly rate is about a third of MINI's and I can trust them completely. :yes nod: Car booked in for next week, so hopefully it will be sorted soon..

I just can't believe that a car under warranty, with only 20k miles on it and just over 3 years old has MINI parts that are corroded badly enough that they need replacing!!!! and that MINI wipe their hands of it being their fault, despite the fact that they are their parts..!!! :ragin:

anyway, it's prob :beer: time

Sheilz
25th January 2010, 06:29 PM
That's really crap Craig. When my spots corroded on specy and I'm sure that he was about three, I didn't even have to ask if they could be done under warranty, they told me. Not sure if this can be compared with your problem but somehow it just doesn't seem right.

Stewart
25th January 2010, 07:03 PM
That is a bit poor, I was told when I got my Bulb changed free that apart from the usual Tyre’s/Brake pads and wipers and I’m sure the exhaust I think it was I was covered if anything else failed before the four years were up.

Car was only two years old there in December (13K on the clock) and still has another service to go. Its probably one of the reasons I think I’m going to keep it at least till Summer 2011, that and the fact nearly new S prices are silly. :thud:

At the very least they should drop the inspection charge as by the looks of it they had to even think about if it was or not under warranty. If they did not even know how were you to know.

The Dogfather
25th January 2010, 07:10 PM
I'd have told them to stick there investigation fee up their ar$

GCA3N
25th January 2010, 07:47 PM
This is just typical of BMW again. I have said it before but unless it was a mini I would stay clear of BMW all together. So sorry for you Craig, I know corrosion doesn't normally get covered in a warranty. I don't know how you do it, if had even half the issues you've had I would never go near another mini again. Hope things get sorted.

GCA3N
25th January 2010, 07:48 PM
I'd have told them to stick there investigation fee up their ar$

Totally 100% agree.

GCA3N
25th January 2010, 07:52 PM
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]That is a bit poor, I was told when I got my Bulb changed free

I took my car in on the way home last week, said to them that the number plate lamp needed replaced, the girl said fine when do you want it booked in. I said it's fine just give me the lamp and I'll do it myself. She said sorry sir you would have to pay for it then. I mean what is that all about, the more I deal with BMW the more I realise how utterly crap they are.

stoney
25th January 2010, 08:27 PM
craig i had a prob like this and a strong letter telling them that you have spent a lot of mone ect ect .... and they soon change there tune

Craig
25th January 2010, 09:16 PM
thanks for all the comments folks. :yes nod: And yes Stoney, MINI will be getting a letter about this, as I have spent a fortune with them.. (well a fortune for me.. :lol:)

KenL
25th January 2010, 09:26 PM
Since you had not agreed or been advised that there could be an investigation cost, don't pay it!

...and make sure you name and shame the dealer :yes nod:

...and tell them that you are a powerful force on the Scottish MINI scene, and that your pals on here will boycott them :thumbs up:

I think they have a cheek, how can corrosion be wear & tear? Surely that part is not fit for purpose?
What was it?

KenL
25th January 2010, 09:32 PM
Just noticed that the car is over three years old, so not under warranty.

Unless, you bought it under the cherished scheme less than a year ago.

If they are still not playing ball, ask to see an exact list of things not covered under this guarantee scheme.

If they still press you for payment, ask to see a detailed account of their charges. They can't charge you £50 if it took the technician 2 minutes to find the problem. Even MINI do not charge that much for their hourly rate!

Craig
25th January 2010, 09:34 PM
Since you had not agreed or been advised that there could be an investigation cost, don't pay it!

...and tell them that you are a powerful force on the Scottish MINI scene, and that your pals on here will boycott them :thumbs up:

I think they have a cheek, how can corrosion be wear & tear? Surely that part is not fit for purpose?
What was it?

you know the dealer Ken - they're your favourite... :D

It is the auto levelling sensor and gubbings which live in the wheel arch and are open to the elements. I don't think the parts are fit for purpose, but this is something I will be taking up with MINI direct as my complaints with said dealer hardly ever get taken seriously (from past experience). :sad:

GCA3N
25th January 2010, 09:36 PM

What was it?

The radiator on my 2002 R50 cooper went a couple of years ago (car would have been about 5 1/2 years old. The cause was corrosion and the garage said that is was quite common. Anyway the warranty shouldn't have covered it but the garage said it was faulty (no mention of corrosion)

Like you say there must be a time scale, i.e. corrosion within a certain period of time should be covered.

KenL
25th January 2010, 09:36 PM
Maybe they are short of money due to their brand new "luxury" premises!

Craig
25th January 2010, 09:37 PM
Just noticed that the car is over three years old, so not under warranty.

Unless, you bought it under the cherished scheme less than a year ago.

If they are still not playing ball, ask to see an exact list of things not covered under this guarantee scheme.

If they still press you for payment, ask to see a detailed account of their charges. They can't charge you £50 if it took the technician 2 minutes to find the problem. Even MINI do not charge that much for their hourly rate!

The car was bought thro cherished in July of last year so is covered by warranty. I also got a call asking for my card details to pay for the £50. Stupidly (and in a rush) I just gave it and thought I would just fight it thereafter. . :rolleyes:

Craig
25th January 2010, 09:38 PM
Maybe they are short of money due to their brand new "luxury" premises!

wrong one Ken - further north and nearer the wallace monument... :yes nod:

KenL
25th January 2010, 09:39 PM
Check this out:

http://www.berr.gov.uk/whatwedo/consumers/fact-sheets/page38311.html

KenL
25th January 2010, 09:40 PM
wrong one Ken - further north and nearer the wallace monument... :yes nod:

Oh them!

I got good service from sales & parts - no experience of service department.

KenL
25th January 2010, 09:43 PM
Quoting things like this may help:

Q3. Are all goods supposed to last six (or five) years?
No, that is the limit for bringing a court case in England and Wales (five years from the time of discovery in Scotland's case). An item only needs to last as long as it is reasonable to expect it to, taking into account all the factors. An oil filter would usually not last longer than a year but that would not mean it was unsatisfactory.

Unless they say you should expect these to be replaced in 3 years, they are not fit for purpose.

We all expect brake pads, oil filters, spark plugs etc. to need replacing but a sensor that controls the lights should last the lifetime of the car.

Delboy
25th January 2010, 10:38 PM
Sorry to hear about this Craig - can't believe this is not covered under the warranty :frown:.

I'm with KenL - these sensors should last the lifetime of the car and cannot be classed as wear and tear items. How many other sensors on the car are going to need replacing due to "wear and tear" - what a joke.

I'd phone BMW customer services and register a complaint immediately.

Scottie
25th January 2010, 10:47 PM
what do expect taking it to THAT dealer bet you they didn't even contact MINI to find out if it was covered under warranty they would just be telling you bullsh1t.

Big Gordy
25th January 2010, 11:33 PM
Carefull Fi......the lawyers are still watching you:smilewinkgrin:

Scottie
25th January 2010, 11:36 PM
Carefull Fi......the lawyers are still watching you:smilewinkgrin:

what dealer would that be.:smilewinkgrin:

N16SHP
25th January 2010, 11:40 PM
I'm pretty worried if something goes wrong with my Mini. I've only had minimal dealings with JC in terms of service, but they seen reasonably decent. Fingers crossed it stays that way!

GCA3N
25th January 2010, 11:49 PM
Check this out:

http://www.berr.gov.uk/whatwedo/consumers/fact-sheets/page38311.html

Great find Ken very interesting read. Especially this one:

It is the seller, not the manufacturer, who is responsible if goods do not conform to contract.

Having an argument with sky about my 10 day old sky HD sky box,(needs reset every day) apparently it's the manufactures fault, anyway good to know these things. Have to wait 2 weeks till local contractor finds his way here they go by "manyana sky installations where procrastination is our promise"

Craig
26th January 2010, 10:36 AM
Email sent to MINI Customer Services. I await their advices with anticipation :rolleyes:

zimbo
26th January 2010, 11:26 AM
Good luck Craig. And if it is the dealer I think it is your on about then :frown:.
I really dont think that part could be classed as a wear and tear part like brake pads or discs or wiper blaeds and tyres etc etc which we all obviously know are not covered under warrenty, but this just cannot be listed under that same catagory!! Dont let them get away with it mate :thumbs up:

If worst comes to worst you could speak to Ulrika during our visit soon...

Craig
3rd February 2010, 06:58 PM
Well, a wee update from me.... Emailed Customer Services on Tues of last week to tell them of my woes - NO RESPONSE... Sent the email again last Thurs - NO RESPONSE, so phoned them yesterday morning at 11:50hrs, and still no phone call back.. :frown,

anyway, after getting my car back last Monday I phoned my local garage who booked the car in for today. Took the car in this morning and he agreed to look at the fault and replace what needed replaced. Anyway, just picked the car up and nothing has been replaced... :thud: The spade connector on the sensor was a little bit corroded, but after a bit of cleaning, it is fine. Also the multi plug that it plugs into, was worse, but given a clean and it is back to just about perfect. He did say that I should look at replacing this before the next MOT at the cost of about £4. I then asked for the bill and he said " nah, I'm not charging you for looking at that!". Top man, that is what you call service... Pity MINI wanted £50 to do less... :frown:

If anyone wants the details of this garage, let me know. Been using them since 1990 and they are the tops :clap:

stoney
3rd February 2010, 07:16 PM
well glad it sorted just a shame mini could not do it

Stewart
3rd February 2010, 07:19 PM
Exactly if Mini had done what the local garage had done you’d have been as pleased as punch and so stupid when it costs nothing to actually fix it, even better if BMW got the £4 connector and replaced it free as your still in your first year of ownership from them.

Instead BMW Mini left a bad taste in your mouth, would you go back and buy there again without a wee think.

Glad you got it sorted and know what is needed done later.:thumbs up:

KenL
3rd February 2010, 07:48 PM
Well, a wee update from me.... Emailed Customer Services on Tues of last week to tell them of my woes - NO RESPONSE... Sent the email again last Thurs - NO RESPONSE, so phoned them yesterday morning at 11:50hrs, and still no phone call back.. :frown,

anyway, after getting my car back last Monday I phoned my local garage who booked the car in for today. Took the car in this morning and he agreed to look at the fault and replace what needed replaced. Anyway, just picked the car up and nothing has been replaced... :thud: The spade connector on the sensor was a little bit corroded, but after a bit of cleaning, it is fine. Also the multi plug that it plugs into, was worse, but given a clean and it is back to just about perfect. He did say that I should look at replacing this before the next MOT at the cost of about £4. I then asked for the bill and he said " nah, I'm not charging you for looking at that!". Top man, that is what you call service... Pity MINI wanted £50 to do less... :frown:

If anyone wants the details of this garage, let me know. Been using them since 1990 and they are the tops :clap:

Good result Craig.

...but you HAVE to go after that garage now. I'd be asking for my £50 back AND some compensation for wasting your time and were they trying to extort money from you?

GCA3N
3rd February 2010, 08:07 PM
Nice one Craig.

Craig
3rd February 2010, 09:08 PM
Good result Craig.

...but you HAVE to go after that garage now. I'd be asking for my £50 back AND some compensation for wasting your time and were they trying to extort money from you?

your right ken, I have, however after 2 emails to Customer Service and a Call to them, I am still awaiting ANY RESPONSE... :frown: :argh: I will be chasing this up tomorrow, but (and not to sound dramatic), but I have a job to do, family to help look after and the last thing I want to be doing is having to take time out of my day to chase THEM up for not answering my complaint about them not doing THEIR job...!!!! :ragin:

KenL
3rd February 2010, 10:30 PM
your right ken, I have, however after 2 emails to Customer Service and a Call to them, I am still awaiting ANY RESPONSE... :frown: :argh: I will be chasing this up tomorrow, but (and not to sound dramatic), but I have a job to do, family to help look after and the last thing I want to be doing is having to take time out of my day to chase THEM up for not answering my complaint about them not doing THEIR job...!!!! :ragin:

...but your complaint lies with the dealer, its nothing to do with MINI really.

Good luck.

Crombers
3rd February 2010, 10:43 PM

Time for that :beer: :thumbs up:

zimbo
4th February 2010, 12:19 PM
Glad you managed to get it sorted out Craig :clap: will now await the outcome of queirying them? lol

Craig
4th February 2010, 08:43 PM
didnt have time to phone customer service today - absolutely snowed under at work.... And THEY never called back.:frown: Hopefully get time tomorrow to call... :rolleyes: It should be called MINI Lack of Customer Care... :argh:

GCA3N
4th February 2010, 08:46 PM
Sorry to hear that Craig fingers crossed eh.

Craig
5th February 2010, 12:10 PM
Well just off the phone with customer services. I am unspeakably angry :frown: . I have basically been given a big pair of fingers by MINI. They say that they rejected the claim as corrosion is not covered by the warranty. When I said that a precedent has been set with replacement of spots/discs etc they said this is down to goodwill and nothing to do with warranty. :frown:

It seems you need to spend more than £100k with a co to get goodwill. Oh no wait, my local garage knows goodwill :rolleyes:

Craig
5th February 2010, 12:12 PM
...but your complaint lies with the dealer, its nothing to do with MINI really.

Good luck.

wrong ken, the warranty is with Mini not the dealer and they set the charges. The dealer requested that the fee be waived and Mini blocked it !!!!!

KenL
5th February 2010, 02:44 PM
wrong ken, the warranty is with Mini not the dealer and they set the charges. The dealer requested that the fee be waived and Mini blocked it !!!!!

I was talking about the shoddy service the garage provided you.

The fee is with the dealer (to cover their time), sure MINI refused to cover it but that is after they had decided the corrosion was not covered.