PDA

View Full Version : Checkmate for sale in Douglas Parks

joec73
24th January 2010, 07:39 AM
Noticed this yesterday when i was in getting my parking sensors sorted.

http://www.douglasparkmini.co.uk/used_mini/group_stock.html?gc=0150

a bit steep as always for DP but thought someone might be intersted:D

GCA3N
24th January 2010, 02:46 PM
Nice, like the R56S under it too.

Fartin Martin
24th January 2010, 03:10 PM
Hmmmm I ain't gonna b happy there's another chackmate about!!!!:lol: ha!!

illegalhunter
24th January 2010, 04:12 PM
Arnold Clark has 1 for 10k

Sheilz
24th January 2010, 05:53 PM

Online pics for this one aren't great. Makes the car look as if the paintwork's been neglected a bit.

Scottie
24th January 2010, 06:02 PM
The interior of the Checkmate is not to everyones taste we had one on order when they first came out but cancelled it and got the Black Cooper S than Ryan now has.

Fartin Martin
24th January 2010, 06:53 PM

I've been in this one..it's not amazin..mines is much better condition!:D

joec73
24th January 2010, 10:06 PM
The interior of the Checkmate is not to everyones taste we had one on order when they first came out but cancelled it and got the Black Cooper S than Ryan now has.

What's not to like
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a264/joec1/DSC_0456.jpg
Bright and in yer face style. lol!

Fartin Martin
25th January 2010, 05:03 AM
What's not to like
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a264/joec1/DSC_0456.jpg
Bright and in yer face style. lol!

Ditto!!!...inside is freekin hot!!!:lol:..are we biased here though!:p

N16SHP
25th January 2010, 11:48 AM
I love the checkmate from the outside, and even the pics for the inside. It's what I really wanted, but when I sat in it, it just didn't do it for me, sorry. Great looking cars though!!

G17RDY
25th January 2010, 01:29 PM
I has a look at that very checkmate at DP and although it was in good condition, i thought DP were asking a little too much for it.

Nice car though, had one myself for oh.....about a week!!!! Ask me sometime and i will bore you to death with my story!!!!!!!

joec73
25th January 2010, 01:50 PM
DP always seem to be more expensive than anyone else.
We bought our JCW checkmate that is 9 months newer with 10k less miles back in the summer for that sort of money

N16SHP
25th January 2010, 05:32 PM
I has a look at that very checkmate at DP and although it was in good condition, i thought DP were asking a little too much for it.

Nice car though, had one myself for oh.....about a week!!!! Ask me sometime and i will bore you to death with my story!!!!!!!

Well i'm stuck at work Gordy, can't be much more boring than this place :D :D :D do tell....please? lol

Fartin Martin
25th January 2010, 07:34 PM

I'm also bored in work so please do tell.....:D

G17RDY
25th January 2010, 08:57 PM
Ok, you asked for it......

Back in Jan / Feb 2008 - I bought a checkmate form HF in Giffnock - Cracking little car, 33,000ish on the clock for £12,500 (I think)
Now asked all the relevant q's - No of owners (4) / No outstanding HP (no) / No accidents or known issues (no) you know the usual kind of thing.

Picked it up after work on the Friday - Couldn't be happier - Paid £2000 in cash and financed the rest.

On the way home driving like a dream, taking it nice and easy, getting used to the car, coming up the M80 - under the railway bridge and bang two warning lights on the dash.
Can't quite remember the exact 'name' of the warning lights, but it was all to do with traction control etc.
Also had a problem with CD player - Wouldn't play CD's

Called HF on the Sat Morning - Come and pick this car up and get it sorted please (No weekend fun for me!!) - Told Monday
By chance Got a call later on the monday from Mechanic - Asking what the problem was with CD player as they couldn't find a fault - Told him and also asked why the warning lights - Faulty nearside bearing!!!!
To which i asked wouldn't that of been picked up when the mutli point cherished checks were done - Mechanic let slip that yes it probably should of - Great i thought Ammunition.

Told garage needed car back by 4 o'clock - as had kids to collect from childminder - 3:45pm - call to garage - oh not ready!!! Courtesy car please delivered to ibrox sharpish i said - with my child car seats in please - Car arrived at 4.30pm- no car seats!!!
Had to drive back to garage to pick up car seats - so whilst there went to speak to service manager - and without letting on a knew anything asked him what fault was with car, and got - faulty sensor.
Bollocks i told him, i already knew it was a faulty bearing - let the flapping commence!!!!
I then lost the plot with them, and said their customer service was completely ridiculous and to sort themselves out and to not lie to their customers (In a polite way)

Three days later (Thursday) i get the car back - delivered in the morning - i had to then drive to the airport to pick up my boss - brilliant i thought i get to drive me checkmate - super excited!!!\
Jumped in the car - (second time i had drove it) - and proceeded onto the M8 from ibrox. moved into the middle lane to overtake a lorry and bang - no power - no throttle - heavy steering - and heavy brakes - in a panic i nearly careered into the side of the lorry.

Managed to coast the car down the next sliproad, which was right next to where it died and realised i was in safe mode.

Called garage - steam coming out my ears - and told call BMW roadside assistance - called no record of car with my number plate on it as i just bought it - took 20 mins to sort out!!!!

Two hours later - M8 Recovery arrived and took the car and me to HF - The worst part was i had no jacket with me, and no ciggies - two hours in the freezing cold with no smokes - i nearly had a fit!!

So got to garage and i was ready to tear someones head off - Couldn't keep my cool and let myself go, basically asked them WTF!!!

"Leave it with us Mr Cameron and we will check the car top to bottom, every nut and bolt" - Heres another hire car.

Next day V5 pops through the door - And to my surprise not 4 previous owners but 5 - another lie!!
So i called the previous owner (who had the car for 6 months) who very kindly told me that the car was accident damaged in Dec 07 - nearside mounted a kerb at speed, which wrecked the wheel, bearings, steering rack, suspension etc // And the car was repaired and traded in. The previous owner was also very clear that he told HF in full regarding all of the works.

I had had enough - Called my Lawyer (Who is also my mate) and told him the story and that i wanted to tell them to stick the car up their...........jumpers!

He said, we're not taking the car back, we are telling them under the sale of goods act we refuse to take the car back and the car is no fit for purpose - Didn't go down too well at HF as you can imagine.

So to cut a long story short, i met the manager and was treated like a kid, i was made to sit for 30 - 40 mins when i arrived at the dealership before he strolled over - didn't bother me though i had all the time in the world, i wasn't going to let him get to me, eventually i was offered credit in HF - but nothing came under the same budget with the same spec (BTW they had another checkmate - with 17,000 on the clock for £1000 more than i had bought the original one for)
I asked if i could have the other checkmate - to which i was told Eh No, not for the same money - To which i replied after all the hassle you're not wiling to take money off of a car, which was £500 less two weeks before, and to retain my business - I even offered to pay an additional £500 to meet him half way- but no the manager wouldn't budge.
To which i said, well no deal then, ram it, give me my money back.

There was then avoidance from the manager, he wouldn't return my calls and was always conviently out - A few lawyers letters and faxes later we were still no further forward with getting the finance cancelled and my £2000 back.
Which i needed to go buy another car.
I then called BMW Mini HQ up - who were only too happy to help me, and were disgusted at the way in which i had been treated.
A day or two later i had my money back!!!!

The really funny thing was - the original checkmate was put back up for sale at almost £15,000
The two checkmates took ages to sell, and the prices dropped and dropped and dropped - the one i offered to buy actually ended up selling for lower than i would of paid - so i had the last laugh really!!!!!!

Geez, i just thought i hope no one here bought that car.......

Well you did ask...................................!!!!!!

It put me off mini's to be honest and i went and bought a Fiesta, then a Z4 - But couldn't be happier with my current Mini which i got from Douglas Park Hamilton - Excellent service!!!!

Sheilz
25th January 2010, 09:17 PM
That's a pretty scary story. Glad you got it sorted but imagine how some less determined person could've been taken to the cleaners by a business with that kind of ethos.

GCA3N
25th January 2010, 09:55 PM
Wow could this be made into a film or what, what a story glad you got it sorted mate. There seems to be too many off these 'mini' stories.

Think Craig looked at buying this....:rolleyes::D:lol:

Stewart
25th January 2010, 10:06 PM
God the only thing I had a mump about was I had an Alloy and Tyre that were odd that I later found out had been taken off the car for a customer and a proper replacement never put back on at Stirling

I went down to HF Giffnock the week i got it and the Parts guy took a quick look and said it was a poor quality refurbishment and the Tyre with the Tread just on the legal side had an illegal rip out the side.

Went on the Phone to Stirling and they sorted it out with a near split new Alloy and Tyre off a week old Clubman.

But makes you think about HF Giffnock that are my local Mini Dealer when I read that there. I was thinking about a Cooper S there next year, might think again.

GCA3N
25th January 2010, 10:10 PM
makes you think about HF Giffnock that are my local Mini Dealer when I read that there. I was thinking about a Cooper S there next year, might think again. [/SIZE][/FONT]

There's a no brainer, definitely stay clear there, this is such bad rep for a garage, do they not think word spreads on stuff like this.

Fartin Martin
25th January 2010, 10:45 PM
Jesus Christ man!!!..that's one heck of a story!!:(

...but TBH..doesn't surprise me with DP Glasgow!..never got the best service from them..but funnily enough..seen the salesman I was dealing with today just up from the garage heading to springburn with one of his poor customers test driving her new S..so pulled up beside him and gave him a wee wave in my wee Checkmate!!:D..plonker!!

:D

illegalhunter
30th January 2010, 10:29 AM
My Cooper S was a nitmare & Douglas Park were no better .

N16SHP
30th January 2010, 12:53 PM
Epic story, was worth the wait!!!