PDA

View Full Version : Retro Gadget

Bazthemod
23rd January 2010, 05:09 PM
My Grandad passed away in the summer and only now are we finally getting to the bowels of the house as it has been sold and needs to get emptied.

Anyway I found his old Cine Projector and a bunch of tapes everything still in their original boxes. As i had a day off today i decided to see if i could get it working and amazingly it does!

After 20 odd years at the back of a cupboard it runs like a dream and just needed a bulb! The videos are well before my time but so funny to watch, even just seeing all the cars that are about in some of the shots.

I wonder how many gadgets we have today that will fire up in 20 years time lol! :p:cool:

http://i.ebayimg.com/10/%21BenJKUQ%212k%7E$%28KGrHqIOKjIEry,U1i%28ZBK99E7% 21T,w%7E%7E_3.JPG

N16SHP
23rd January 2010, 05:11 PM
I sometimes wonder if my phone is going to turn on some days so I doubt it lol!

My Gran's house is a little old skool, and she still has a mangle in the kitchen. My mrs looked and it and said "What is that? I've never seen that before!" lol

GCA3N
23rd January 2010, 06:49 PM
Too true mate. It's funny though I was talking about this kinda thing last night. Electronics these days are not built to last(possibly with the exeption of the top end stuff) in saying that I bought a denon seperates in 1996 and they still work.

Craig
23rd January 2010, 09:59 PM
Nice find Baz... you could start up a new Cinema in Dundee :lol:

Bazthemod
23rd January 2010, 10:01 PM
Nice find Baz... you could start up a new Cinema in Dundee :lol:

Hmmm the Italian Job Silent Movie Run! haha

AndyP & Lenore
24th January 2010, 01:01 AM
Baz, thats a real gem:thumbs up:. Eumig are up there with Bell & Howell. And I suspect it's way older than 20 years. More like 40 to 45 years old to be honest, although your granddad my have acquired it more recently. Eumig sadly went bust in 1981, at least in their original carnation.

You were lucky to find a bulb for it, and to be honest, the more I think about it, if you were able to find a bulb locally, it may be much newer than I thought.

Treasure those films, mate, cos your using one of the last bits of equipment that will run them. In fact, if you feel so inclined, send the reels off to a company that will convert the films to DVD for you. Once you have a digital copy, you have them forever. Eventually even the 8mm films you have will go too brittle to run. Thats a long way off, but will happen sometime.

I have a couple of 8mm projectors stored away I've bought at local markets for a pittance. Keeping them safe for posterity.:thumbs up:

My dad has a load of 8mm stuff he's shot from his honeymoon right up to when I was 10 or 12 when he bought his first VHS C camcorder. He's had everything converted to DVD and "treats" us to a family history lesson every Christmas day when the DVD goes on.:laugh:

If I'm honest, it's really cool to watch.:thumbs up:

I was a short tempered sh!t when I was 10. Got into a strop because I couldn't get my jumper off my head. When you're 10 everything seems so dramatic.:hand:

A.:D

A

Bazthemod
24th January 2010, 03:28 AM
Yeah it's been stored for 20year but it is much older like you said...box has a stamp that says 1968. The bulb is a standard bulb like most desk lamps take- with the 2 pins at the bottom, it should take a 100w but my desk lamp was only 35w but you got the idea as long as the room was pitch black.

There's definitely something nostalgic about watching video this way - the noise of the film feeding through, the jumping frames and the smell of the motor ticking along. It's great!

Was going to sell it but i can't part with it now! Yeah most of the films my grandad had put onto vhs which we then got put onto DVD however there's a few unseen reels. This stuff is mostly mucking about the house trying the camera out compared to all the weddings etc but even this stuff now means a lot so i will send it away to be copied!

Luckily my grandad had upgraded to a VHS when i was born to capture all the embarrassing footage of me! This was when currys offered to film your family instore free and give you the VHS home. Thing is tapes were still quite expensive then so loads of people started taking them up on the demonstration to get a tape to take home to record on! To this day we have staff that remember the queues of folk!

zimbo
24th January 2010, 11:22 AM
I was a short tempered sh!t when I was 10. Got into a strop because I couldn't get my jumper off my head. When you're 10 everything seems so dramatic.:hand:

A.:D

A

So you were a grumpy wee sh!te is what your saying...? :laugh: :laugh:

Gismo
25th January 2010, 03:12 PM
So you were a grumpy wee sh!te is what your saying...? :laugh: :laugh:Surely still.............................:lol: