PDA

View Full Version : Laptop

Bazthemod
13th June 2004, 06:54 AM
Just bought myself a laptop off ebay any of you lot have any knowledge on how to connect my desktop and laptop in a wireless network so as it can share broadband, printer etc? what hardware do i need etc?

Hope you guys can help!:)

macblob
13th June 2004, 08:05 AM
you probably need a wireless router and wireless network card for the laptop :D

Bazthemod
13th June 2004, 06:15 PM
Something like this?

http://www.netgear.com/products/prod_details.php?prodID=250&view=

macblob
13th June 2004, 07:33 PM
Yeah thats the sort of thing , but I think you may need a wireless network card or bridge for the laptop so that it can communicate to the desktop router.

Im not 100% sure on this though as my network from my mac to my xbox is through a wired router.
But it is a netgear one I bought, seems to work well and was easy to setup

check out the stuff here

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=c2hvd3N1YmNhdGVnb3J5X3NlYXJjaA==&cat_uid=39

macblob
13th June 2004, 07:42 PM
Actually was looking at the specs for the netgear one you were looking at....Looks like its got everything included :D, Didnt realise the wee usb adapter was for communicating to the router.

Is it cable modem your using or adsl?

Bazthemod
13th June 2004, 08:27 PM
I use a cable modem Brian, so that wee usb adaptor would plug into the laptop and recieve signal from the router?:question:

macblob
13th June 2004, 08:53 PM
It sound that way to me.....LnL does IT for a job so he should beable to tell you definately but it sounds like it should work to me. Ive got the netgear RP614 hardwired to my cable modem and xbox.....was only about 40 quid for the router and cable....and i was looking at over 100 for doing it wireless.

Bazthemod
13th June 2004, 11:26 PM
Cheers Brian ill go step on have a look for Ewan! :cool::p:blackeye:

Gismo
14th June 2004, 04:58 PM
Assuming both your laptop and your PC have a network card inside then simply get a cross over cable, it has an RJ45 connector on each end, a bit bigger than a modem type connector.
You can get the cable from any decent PC shop and you'll be able to share the internet connection as well :)

Bazthemod
15th June 2004, 12:26 AM
That wouldn't be wireless though BS! :question:

macblob
15th June 2004, 12:48 AM
It gets harder to read in your old age so I believe lol :p

Gismo
15th June 2004, 03:51 AM
quote:Originally posted by Bazthemod
That wouldn't be wireless though BS! :question:Yes i know :evil: i was trying to keep your costs down, approx a fiver as opposed to close on a hundred :eek:

Bazthemod
15th June 2004, 06:47 AM
Hee Hee thanks anyway BS! ;)

weefossy
16th June 2004, 07:21 AM
In my highly technical opinion....buy a longer cable, that goes as far as the radio signal!!

Big Gordy
16th June 2004, 04:26 PM
I've got a network cable sitting in my desk drawer at work :) You can have it for freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee if you want ;) I'll bring it to Arbroath. Just let me know :p:D:approve:

Gismo
16th June 2004, 06:47 PM
quote:Originally posted by Big Gordy
I've got a network cable sitting in my desk drawer at work :) You can have it for freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee if you want ;) Gotta make sure it is a cross over cable, generally the network cables supplied at work are standard patch cables which are straight through. I'll take it off your hands though as i need em all the time ;)

Big Gordy
16th June 2004, 08:37 PM
Just looked :p I've actually got two :p:D:approve:

Bazthemod
17th June 2004, 12:22 AM
That would be fab Big G i'm still waiting on it to be delivered :mad: the guy said he posted it last wednesday and stung me £25 for delivery surely it should be quicker than this :(:question:

So i doubt ill have anything in place by july so i would appreciate the cable to try it out! 8)

Gismo
17th June 2004, 12:33 AM
You gotta make sure it's a cross over cable, if not, it won't work

GAJ
17th June 2004, 03:15 AM
quote:Originally posted by Bonnie Scotland

You gotta make sure it's a cross over cable, if not, it won't work

Depends on your network card I think. Some are clever and know to reverse stuff and will work with a straight ethernet cable. At least that is what happens on a new Macs I think!

David will know!!

macblob
17th June 2004, 04:00 AM
you can buy wee plugs that look like phone connectors that will change a straight ethernet cable to a crossover one :D

Big Gordy
17th June 2004, 04:05 PM
Found another one this morning but its different from the other two:I This one has two plugs the same at each end where as the other two have what looks like a telephone plug at one end and a smaller plug at the other :p:D:approve:

Bazthemod
18th June 2004, 01:06 AM
Hey guys got my laptop today sending you this post from it im just a wee bit hyper! :D:I