PDA

View Full Version : The Clubman

Scottie
22nd January 2010, 09:26 PM
So!!!! with the Countryman launch just around the corner and bearing in mind only the Cooper D and the Cooper S will have the All4 drive system.

Is there any point to MINI keeping the production of the Clubman going.

I don't think so what's the point in them doing so the Countryman One and Cooper will have more room than the Clubman.

Is the Clubman coming to a end and if so will they retain any value.?

Mini Ecosse
22nd January 2010, 09:30 PM
OMG, I suspect you have just stirred a hornets nest :laugh::laugh:

Stewart
22nd January 2010, 10:07 PM
The Clubman grew on me like most on here. It retains the Mini character with a bit more space. The countryman looks like it’s aimed for people needing even more space and really wanting four doors, and if thats case I’d buy something else. I’m sure there is a market for both.

BMW Mini needs a car for rallying and has to qualify by building X amount for sale if the rules are the same as old. If anything I could see a large percentage of the Mini crowd sticking to the Hatch, Con, Clubman over this. I really think when it becomes so big and has four doors its not cheeky enough personally to retain the stature of the Mini.

Sheilz
22nd January 2010, 10:16 PM
Well for what my opinion's worth I think there is without question a market out there for the clubbie. It will continue to appeal to people like me who want a bit of space but don't want to be driving a car that physically looks like it has pretentions to being a 4x4. On sites like this people (except me) understand the difference between AWD and 4x4 but outwith enthusiast clubs a lot of people tend not to care as they really don't have any need of it, the vehicle being little more than a status symbol. Personally if I wanted a 4x4 I'd buy a landrover. The clubbie is quite a sexy car and because it is so similar to the hatch will I think always have appeal. It will also appeal to people like me who so far anyway don't like the overall look of the new one. I may be way off mark but I think existing models of the clubman would I think keep good value, better than the hatch. As you all know I'm a million miles from being an expert in any shape or form so this is a personal view.

The Dogfather
22nd January 2010, 10:18 PM
Within the BMW range there is the 1, 3, 5, 6, 7 plus the X1, X3, X5, X6, Z4, the coupe versions of the 1 and 3 and touring versions of the 3 and 5 plus the 5GT thingy.

Why would BMW want to get rid of the 1 of the MINIs platforms when they do so many other varients of their other cars?

zimbo
23rd January 2010, 04:21 AM
I think the clubman will be safe, because I think the only way people are going to allow themselves to be seen driving one of those new things is if it comes supplied with a free paper bag to put over their heads...

:yes nod:

stoney
23rd January 2010, 10:25 AM
I think the clubman will be safe, because I think the only way people are going to allow themselves to be seen driving one of those new things is if it comes supplied with a free paper bag to put over their heads...

:yes nod::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::cla p::clap::clap::clap::lol::lol:

Craig
23rd January 2010, 11:28 AM
I hope they keep the clubman... I was hoping to get Mrs D into one this time, but never managed to... :rolleyes: :D

GCA3N
23rd January 2010, 11:32 AM
I hope they keep the clubman... I was hoping to get Mrs D into one this time, but never managed to... :rolleyes: :D
:smilewinkgrin:

Maybe next time. What about you though, I know you have just got your car but would you not be tempted into the JCW one. I have looked about and haven't seen any second hand ones yet.

Craig
23rd January 2010, 11:34 AM
:smilewinkgrin:

Maybe next time. What about you though, I know you have just got your car but would you not be tempted into the JCW one. I have looked about and haven't seen any second hand ones yet.

I NEED to keep this car for another 20 years at least or Crombers and Big Gordy will hang me... :lol: Seriously tho, would love a JCW Clubman, but they are MEGA money and I really do need to keep this car for a few years yet...

Ivano
23rd January 2010, 11:38 AM
Who says the Clubman isn't nice when it is nicely done like this. :thumbs up:

I am becoming a big fan of them

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn183/Ivan33_photos/10-1.jpg

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn183/Ivan33_photos/9-5.jpg

GCA3N
23rd January 2010, 11:40 AM
You are answerable to no man, anyway your car is awesome so no need to change, unless your wanting a more modern up to date look:p;):lol:

GCA3N
23rd January 2010, 11:42 AM

Wicked look.

Ivano
23rd January 2010, 11:46 AM
My R50 is going to go this year at some point had it nearly 5 years and time for a change, hence why the Clubman is becoming very tempting and for a bit more space..

I would aim to go for a look like what is shown above.. albeit that it probably wouldn't have BBS RS Old Skool wheels basically because they are hard to come by and need redrilled to fit a MINI. They look awesome especially with nice big deep lips... :smilewinkgrin:

The Dogfather
23rd January 2010, 12:05 PM
You can get 17" BBS Reps in a MINI fitment for £349, fine they aren't the real thing but after sliding on black ice last weekend in my TT and damaging the LM Reps on that I'm glad I didn't go for the real thing (not that I could afford them)

BTW you can get real LMs to fit a MINI

N16SHP
23rd January 2010, 12:14 PM
I love the Clubbie. I was never a huge fan of it until I seen Del and Sheilz's Clubbie to name a few on here. I also really like the coffee coloured one that goes around Aberdeen, you know who you are Saltire! ;) Also, a while back there was a German one on here I think that just looked the nuts! Once I am done with my hatch, the Clubman is defo a probability for when family comes around. But im under no illusions that its huge in the back, but offers better access to baby seats etc!

On a slightly more humerous note, I have the TG Cool Wall on my fridge and the Clubbie started under not cool, and last week got moved into the Subzero catagory accompanying a pic of the Stig!

Ivano
23rd January 2010, 12:19 PM
You can get 17" BBS Reps in a MINI fitment for £349, fine they aren't the real thing but after sliding on black ice last weekend in my TT and damaging the LM Reps on that I'm glad I didn't go for the real thing (not that I could afford them)

BTW you can get real LMs to fit a MINI

I know i looked at real BBS LM's and they are around £2200 for alloys alone. There is something about the classic RS wheels though.. The closest i could find were Lenso BSX Euro old skool wheel but i believe the quality ain't good...

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn183/Ivan33_photos/1.jpg

The Clubman's look great on 16" alloys and lowered :thumbs up:

GCA3N
23rd January 2010, 12:29 PM
I love the Clubbie. I was never a huge fan of it until I seen Del and Sheilz's Clubbie to name a few on here. I also really like the coffee coloured one that goes around Aberdeen, you know who you are Saltire! ;) Also, a while back there was a German one on here I think that just looked the nuts! Once I am done with my hatch, the Clubman is defo a probability for when family comes around. But im under no illusions that its huge in the back, but offers better access to baby seats etc!

On a slightly more humerous note, I have the TG Cool Wall on my fridge and the Clubbie started under not cool, and last week got moved into the Subzero catagory accompanying a pic of the Stig!

That's funny I have have the cool wall on my fridge but the clubbie was in cool from the start. LOL. There seems to be so much more room in the clubman even although it's not much longer, it's defo more usable though, with the extra boot and leg room in the back.

Forbes
23rd January 2010, 02:33 PM
I know i looked at real BBS LM's and they are around £2200 for alloys alone. There is something about the classic RS wheels though.. The closest i could find were Lenso BSX Euro old skool wheel but i believe the quality ain't good...

Only thing with them is sizes. I eyed up a set a while ago and in the end thought it wasn't worth it. Lip is meant to corrode pretty bad

Sheilz
23rd January 2010, 03:31 PM

Yeah totally agree. There are some crackers over on the clubman register and of course our very own tyre/wheel guru who has abandoned his 18s for 16s for better performance. Am fed up of paying through the nose for expensive 17 tyres so am currently looking for 16s that I like. Well its not so much ones I like but ones I think will suit Dougall. I'd like black ones - these in the pic are lovely but a tad out of my price range :frown: but not entirely sure if they'd be ok given the colour combo I've got. Decisions! Decisions! Would like to lower the car too but there's an awful lot of speed bumps in Aberdeen and that kind of puts me off a bit though I really like the look of it.

GCA3N
23rd January 2010, 03:43 PM

Wonder how he has got away with no front plate on his car?

KenL
23rd January 2010, 03:53 PM

That is horrible! Would have looked a lot better if it did not have those wheels or the OTT lowering.

Stewart
23rd January 2010, 03:59 PM
Wonder how he has got away with no front plate on his car?

Left hand drive, don’t know what Country its from. I'd have to re do my trim everyday in Glasgow when it gets knocked off with the pot holes.

Forbes
23rd January 2010, 04:03 PM
Its a dutch CLubbie. Coendk. Different rules I guess

GCA3N
23rd January 2010, 04:12 PM
looks much better I think.

Crombers
23rd January 2010, 04:26 PM
:p
I NEED to keep this car for another 20 years at least or Crombers and Big Gordy will hang me... :lol: ................... by the baws !!! (we need a sinister smiley here :yes nod:)

zimbo
23rd January 2010, 04:57 PM

The clubbie has grown on me, and this one is an almost perfect example, I like everything about this pic apart from that Hot Chocolate colour :hand: (worst mini colour EVER!!!)

Oh and Shielz, if I remember correctly 16" tyres are or can be a lot more expensive than 17 or 18" tyres.

N16SHP
23rd January 2010, 05:10 PM
The clubbie has grown on me, and this one is an almost perfect example, I like everything about this pic apart from that Hot Chocolate colour :hand: (worst mini colour EVER!!!)

Oh and Shielz, if I remember correctly 16" tyres are or can be a lot more expensive than 17 or 18" tyres.

I got told that when I was buying rims for my old car, as their a bit of an odd size apparently!!

Sheilz
23rd January 2010, 05:39 PM
I got told that when I was buying rims for my old car, as their a bit of an odd size apparently!!

O b*ggar, but thanks for the heads up!

KenL
23rd January 2010, 06:39 PM

That is not the case with 16 v 17 inch runflat tyres fot the MINI.

The Dogfather
23rd January 2010, 06:46 PM
Actually 16s are cheaper usually, however not all brands do a 16 tyre.

Sheilz
23rd January 2010, 07:06 PM
LOL only one way to find out!!

N16SHP
23rd January 2010, 07:51 PM
Actually 16s are cheaper usually, however not all brands do a 16 tyre.

Ah, i think I am probably mixed up, and thats what they said. I was like 17 at the time lol!

weefossy
24th January 2010, 05:55 PM
We would probably still have our Clubbie if BMW had delivered the Works engine kit and body kit a bit sooner. years of promises finally did my head in. And the stupid thing, I gave them more money to buy a Works....Doh!!:thud: But hey ho, no regrets

GCA3N
24th January 2010, 05:57 PM
We would probably still have our Clubbie if BMW had delivered the Works engine kit and body kit a bit sooner. years of promises finally did my head in. And the stupid thing, I gave them more money to buy a Works....Doh!!:thud: But hey ho, no regrets

I loved that car, do you regret at all getting rid of it.

Delboy
24th January 2010, 08:50 PM
Here I am :bigwave: - just catching up with 2 days of NMS posts :blush:.

Well, I still love my Clubman and am not unduly worried about residual values falling as a result of the Countryman coming along. I think there is enough of a difference between the two models that will enable them both to co-exist without detriment to each other. For a start, the Clubman is cool.....:smilewinkgrin:

So, just for the hell of it, here is one of my signature photos in a larger size - start :drool: now! :lol:

http://i355.photobucket.com/albums/r464/DWhitelaw/Mini%20Cooper%20S%20Clubman/PB290414v2.jpg

Forbes
24th January 2010, 08:51 PM
Have you considered the option of coilovers? I think they would really suit it

Delboy
24th January 2010, 08:58 PM
I would like to fit coilovers but I don't think the roads in Glasgow are good enough, plus there are a lot of big, ugly speed bumps.

Scottie
24th January 2010, 09:01 PM
Now lets see is there that a big difference. H'mm what do others think looks to belong to the same family to me.

http://i355.photobucket.com/albums/r464/DWhitelaw/Mini%20Cooper%20S%20Clubman/PB290414v2.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y96/scottiecoop/4289683077_514699d955_b.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y96/scottiecoop/4289683067_67c83086e8_b.jpg

Forbes
24th January 2010, 09:13 PM
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y96/scottiecoop/4289683067_67c83086e8_b.jpg
Dad really likes it. Though he has a Freelander just now. But surely has to replace it soon

Delboy
24th January 2010, 09:55 PM
Now lets see is there that a big difference. H'mm what do others think looks to belong to the same family to me.

The Mini family? :lol:

Actually, I don't think they're that alike - front and back ends are totally different, plus the Countryman's more conventional 4-door look.

Scottie
24th January 2010, 09:57 PM

Actually, I don't think they're that alike - front and back ends are totally different, plus the Countryman's more conventional 4-door look.

Keep on dreaming:hand::smilewinkgrin::smilewinkgrin:

Sheilz
24th January 2010, 11:32 PM

Totally agree with you. I really don't see a genetic link between the two. In fact the silhouette of the countryman is more like a black cab than a clubbie. There's a thread on northern mini with pics of the two together.

GCA3N
25th January 2010, 01:16 AM
I think the clubman is far nicer looking. IMO

Stewart
25th January 2010, 02:12 PM
For me I just don’t like the “Cut off” look the front has. Looks like when they had it in the clay Model someone took a knife to the front and cut it off. I like the Roundness to my cars front, not too keen on those headlights lights as well.

I like the wheels though.