PDA

View Full Version : Wheel brake dust again.

KenL
22nd January 2010, 09:09 PM
Washed my car last week and the front wheels have a lot of brake dust bits on the flat surfaces between the spokes.

I have Autosmart Tardis recommended on here. Last time I tried it, it was not very effective at removing it just with rubbing.

Anyone any tips for using this to remove these pesky lumps? Should I just give it a good soak and then rub anything remaining away with a used piece of claybar?

I'm planning on spending a couple of hours on the car tomorrow after playing golf :yes nod:

Thanks, KenL

GCA3N
22nd January 2010, 11:31 PM
Ken I can't really give you much advice mate, only I clean the wheels regularly enough that its easy to remove the dust, good soaking might do the trick.

Craig
23rd January 2010, 11:16 AM
do you have any wheel cleaner Ken? Tardis is more of a tar/glue remover. The stuff in the wheel cleaners is better at dealing with the brake dust. If you don't have any wheel cleaner and need to do the job today, clean wheels by AG is ok, but acidic, so don't leave it on too long.(about 30 secs) :thumbs up:

I take it you don't have any wax on your wheels? I use poorboys wheel sealant and wash my wheels every week and don't normally have problems getting off the marks.. ;)

N16SHP
23rd January 2010, 12:32 PM
Ken, if you look on my profile pics, you can see a pic of my white wheel. I took it off the car so I could work on it properly. Powerwashed it, then used Wonder Wheels. Now this is quite acidic, so put it on with the brush supplied, leave it about a minute then wash it off. But you have to make sure you then use something like Poorboys to give your wheels some protection again before going back out on the roads.

There is other stuff out there, but for me, it works and not had any problems. Spend time with the poorboys, and put on about 3 layers if you can, applying, buffing, applying etc! After that, you can just powerwash the rims and it should all come off as its sticking to the poorboys and not the rims!

KenL
23rd January 2010, 03:59 PM
do you have any wheel cleaner Ken? Tardis is more of a tar/glue remover. The stuff in the wheel cleaners is better at dealing with the brake dust. If you don't have any wheel cleaner and need to do the job today, clean wheels by AG is ok, but acidic, so don't leave it on too long.(about 30 secs) :thumbs up:

I take it you don't have any wax on your wheels? I use poorboys wheel sealant and wash my wheels every week and don't normally have problems getting off the marks.. ;)

I do have, or thought I had some wax on the wheels. I have been a wee bit behind in the last two months or so cleaning the car, so got a shock to see so much brake dust last weekend when I washed it.

I should have some AG wheel cleaner somewhere. I bought the T&G remover as it was recommended on here for brake dust removal.

k3ith
23rd January 2010, 04:57 PM
As prev mentioned Tardis is mainly for the removal of tar and glue, Wonder wheels i would stay clear of but thats just my op not because of the acidic value as I am sure they do a non acidic version as well but it just stinks, AG also have non acidic wheel cleaners In trade and retail form and from Autosmart you could use G101 but the current favourite(and mine) is Bilberry Wheel cleaner which is made by several Co's.

KenL
23rd January 2010, 06:45 PM

Just looked at my older thread. It was you, Craig who suggested tar & glue remover in the first place :hand:

http://www.newminiscotland.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?18661-Brake-dust-on-alloys

GCA3N
23rd January 2010, 06:52 PM
Just looked at my older thread. It was you, Craig who suggested tar & glue remover in the first place :hand:

http://www.newminiscotland.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?18661-Brake-dust-on-alloys

Pmsl ur caught craig !

Craig
23rd January 2010, 07:19 PM

Pmsl ur caught craig !

as catherine tate would say.... am I bothered? :D

if you have the time to look back at old threads and pick holes in everything someone tells you ken, then you have time to clean your wheels properly and regularly and not have this problem. :moonie:

and as I said, it normally works ok for tar, but not brake dust. Thats what wheel cleaner is for... :hand:

you also mentioned in that old thread that you "presumed it was brake dust", but it sounds more like tar...;)

euan
23rd January 2010, 08:12 PM
I used poorboys on the car in October, not been able to put it on again and the car hadn't been washed in about 3 months (I know! - builders were in and then the snow). Jetwashed it, and they are pretty good straight away. Need a little bit of tweaking for tar, but all the baked on brake dust, and the Audi gets loads from the cross drilled monsters it runs, came staright off now bother.

Poorboys is the stuff to have, I used to wax them and thought it was good, but this stuff is just brilliant. It did take an hour to the alloys in the first place though.

KenL
23rd January 2010, 10:13 PM
as catherine tate would say.... am I bothered? :D

if you have the time to look back at old threads and pick holes in everything someone tells you ken, then you have time to clean your wheels properly and regularly and not have this problem. :moonie:

and as I said, it normally works ok for tar, but not brake dust. Thats what wheel cleaner is for... :hand:

you also mentioned in that old thread that you "presumed it was brake dust", but it sounds more like tar...;)

Go on, just admit it :smilewinkgrin:

Seriously, thanks for the advice. Will check out my hut - pretty sure I have some AG wheel cleaner out there.

Today's cr*p weather put a stop to my plans :frown:

KenL
23rd January 2010, 10:15 PM
Poorboys is the stuff to have, I used to wax them and thought it was good, but this stuff is just brilliant. It did take an hour to the alloys in the first place though.

Thanks to those who suggested this. Once I get these bits removed, I'll put a few layers of this on.

Craig
23rd January 2010, 10:36 PM
Weather must be bad out Edin way - I managed to wash my dad's car and 2 of my neighbours today.... had to draw the line at one of my neighbours driving his van in front of my house. :lol:

Happy to help Ken - mind no returns... :thumbs up:

Scottie
23rd January 2010, 10:47 PM
Weather must be bad out Edin way - I managed to wash my dad's car and 2 of my neighbours today.... had to draw the line at one of my neighbours driving his van in front of my house. :lol:

Happy to help Ken - mind no returns... :thumbs up:

rained here today damp and yuck

KenL
24th January 2010, 09:32 PM
Thanks for the advice.

Have ordered some Bilberry wheel cleaner and Poorboy's wheel sealant from Clean Your Car.

KenL
14th February 2010, 05:54 PM
I spent an hour today with my Bilberry wheel cleaner, tar remover and clay bar removing the baked on brake dust from my front wheels. Pretty much got all of it off, will have a final go tomorrow before applying the Poorboy's Wheel Sealant.

Stewart
14th February 2010, 06:00 PM
I take it you were removing them.
I came across this, might get the guy to do my wheels for the summer as hes local to me.

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?p=1995658#post1995658

KenL
14th February 2010, 08:16 PM
I take it you were removing them.

No, that was just trying to remove the brake dust from the front surface!

Never had this problem before, I do not brake hard either!

N16SHP
14th February 2010, 08:20 PM
Wow, that steam cleaner looks amazing. Even after going to town on my wheels, I still get left with little bits of baked on dust, so think im gonna have to get a clay bar to them, but wait until summer, as i cant be hooped in this cold weather!

KenL
14th February 2010, 08:30 PM
Wow, that steam cleaner looks amazing. Even after going to town on my wheels, I still get left with little bits of baked on dust, so think im gonna have to get a clay bar to them, but wait until summer, as i cant be hooped in this cold weather!

It is VERY hard work on the old fingers!

Crombers
14th February 2010, 08:50 PM
Stop braking & .......................... ta ta - no brake dust :thumbs up:

Stewart
14th February 2010, 11:12 PM
It is VERY hard work on the old fingers!

Thats what I feel, I go out to wash the car and want to give it a decent wash, so the wheels get done but not spotless as its not the weather for it at all. the part you see at the fornt is clean its behind the spokes.

My wheels have nothing too bad on them, most of it washes away with a Zino Brush I think its called and the Bilberry wheel cleaner
after its left a few minutes. Killer is my drive is up a slope so i cant be bothered most times to move the car it to get to the other parts of the wheel the brakes are blocking.