PDA

View Full Version : Countryman - as ugly as sin?

KenL
20th January 2010, 07:56 PM
I have no idea how to do it but could a mod please turn this into a poll
to gauge opinion on the new "MINI" Countryman...

Full details and pics here:

http://www.motoringfile.com/2010/01/20/mf-analysis-mini-countryman/

AndyP & Lenore
20th January 2010, 08:23 PM
Don't think we can add a poll, Ken. If a pole had been attached, we can probably edit it, but I don't think we can add a poll to a thread which doesn't currently have one.

But as you want to gauge opinion.... I love it:thumbs up:. In the next two years I can see all three of our cars going for a MINI Roadster and a MINI Countryman. Depending on options of gearboxes, engines and cost.

A.:D

KenL
20th January 2010, 08:31 PM
I just don't see this as a "MINI", so different from the image. Would Sir Alec be turning in his grave or applauding this new bold design?

What I do like is that the interior, and the quality of it looks super.

I doubt I would ever own one, but I will defo go for a look when it comes out.

Alex from NM
20th January 2010, 08:31 PM
I just saw this on Northern MINI. I had to come over here to cleanse my eyes :p. Its not cup of tea. Leave 4x4's to Land Rover

The Dogfather
20th January 2010, 08:44 PM
Why leave them to Land Rover?

Compared to a Toerag and X5 this is pretty MINI. I'd have one to compliment another MINI on my drive.

Scottie
20th January 2010, 08:51 PM
nothing wrong with a AWD which is what Crossman is lets not get into the idea that it's a off road 4x4 I do not think for one minute MINI will market this motor as a off roader and as long as the CO2 is low then it's all good.

I do think like the clubman it will grow and grow on folks.

The attachment to the original mini is long gone now I think but it's great when a new style comes out how people refer back to the original mini and what would Sir Alec think (he would think bugger it wish I had thought of this design) lets keep moving forward.

Alex from NM
20th January 2010, 08:56 PM
Because Land Rovers are an exercise in function over design. This, like most modern 4x4's, will be design over funtion. If they want to create more space they could design a persons carrier.

Bazthemod
20th January 2010, 08:57 PM
Everything has to evolve im sick of hearing 'its not a mini' of course it's not! Its an evolution from a brand that has the balls to reach a different target group of people needing more space.

Mini have said from the start that the hatch will never be replaced so there will always be something that's Mini in the family.

As for the 4x4 debate its not a question of off road in my opinion, think of it more as Quattro for mini - all about traction and handling

ianking
20th January 2010, 09:13 PM
Doesnt matter what badge that car has on the grill i would think it was ugly.

The Dogfather
20th January 2010, 09:24 PM
Using the function over design arguement you could say we should all be driving a eurobox over a MINI, if it sells then it justifies its existence.

Alex from NM
20th January 2010, 09:32 PM
My car carries 4 people and works well on the road. Its not pretending to be anything other than a small car. I like small cars, that's why I have a MINI. If I needed a large car, I would by a large car. If I needed a 4x4 I would buy and Land Rover.

AndyP & Lenore
20th January 2010, 09:38 PM
My car carries 4 people and works well on the road. Its not pretending to be anything other than a small car. I like small cars, that's why I have a MINI. If I needed a large car, I would by a large car. If I needed a 4x4 I would buy and Land Rover.

But what about those who would like a sort of hybrid of those types of car?:confused:

I can see that this new MINI doesn't float everyone's boat, but I think it's a shame folk can't accept there are different flavours out there. If all sweeties were hatchbacks life would be boring as hell. I don't like Turkish Delight, but I don't bitch about how ugly they are.:frown:

Bazthemod
20th January 2010, 09:38 PM
But what if you like the Mini brand and wish your Mini was bigger? = BMW Win

Alex from NM
20th January 2010, 09:44 PM
But what about those who would like a sort of hybrid of those types of car?:confused:

What kind of hybrid would you have in mind?

ps - Turkish Delight is well handsome. Cinder toffee on the other hand is well minging though :p

AndyP & Lenore
20th January 2010, 10:42 PM
What kind of hybrid would you have in mind?

ps - Turkish Delight is well handsome. Cinder toffee on the other hand is well minging though :p

Was talking a hybrid of current body styles currently available from MINI hatch to Range Rover, rather than a hybrid electric/combustion engine.

So, something like this appeals...
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4064/4289750037_5d3d0ebba3_b.jpg

Delboy
20th January 2010, 10:50 PM
As I've just said in the other thread, I'm really liking this :thumbs up:.

I used to love having 4WD on my Subaru Imprezas as you were able to get good traction in all weather so to have a Countryman Cooper S with 4WD sounds like a great idea :yes nod:.

Scottie
20th January 2010, 10:53 PM
after looking a ever single link and picture I can find on all Mini forums round the web. I am in the mind that this is the best MINI design yet in fact I could pee my pants I am that excited about getting my order placed.

AndyP & Lenore
20th January 2010, 10:55 PM
after looking a ever single link and picture I can find on all Mini forums round the web. I am in the mind that this is the best MINI design yet in fact I could pee my pants I am that excited about getting my order placed.

Lenore and I are almost weeing with you Fi, if that's not a bit weird.:blush:

The Dogfather
20th January 2010, 11:16 PM
I'm usually against all things 4x4 but this looks OK.

The key thing is how close to a MINI will the driving experience be, if its close I buy one and lower it :D I need the extra room.

GCA3N
20th January 2010, 11:17 PM
I know it's not what mini was originally all about but you could kinda argue that even the new BMW mini isn't really what mini was all about. I mean the new mini is huge compared to the original and is certainly not a cheap small alternative to a big expensive car. I see people shudder when they find out that you could spend 30 grand on a mini. The clubman was strange when it first came out but it's grown on alot of people (sign of a classic) anyway I think as the range developes and evolves people will accept it. Tbh I kinda like it already and can't wait to see a jcw s version mmmmmm.

MINI William
21st January 2010, 09:17 AM
Seen this is in autocar at the garage on Tuesday think it's a couple of months old tho.

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u122/miniwilliam/8e038067.jpg
I think the front end on this looks amazing

MINI William
21st January 2010, 09:28 AM
Forgot to say autocar also said that the countyman would be getting used for MINI's return to rallying and that prodrive are currently working on something

GCA3N
21st January 2010, 10:20 AM
Now you cannot say that is not awesome looking, oh decisions decisions.

Delboy
21st January 2010, 10:31 AM
Now you cannot say that is not awesome looking, oh decisions decisions.

Don't forget about the Roadster.......:drool:

GCA3N
21st January 2010, 10:35 AM
Don't forget about the Roadster.......:drool:

I know but I'll be honest never going to be able to talk Kim round to a two seater with a family. This however is really different, can just imagine how much this will be going on sale for.

zimbo
21st January 2010, 10:56 AM
...I could pee my pants I am that excited about getting my order placed.

hey there is NO PLACE IN HERE for weirdos!!! :hand:

Forgot to say autocar also said that the countryman would be getting used for MINI's return to rallying and that prodrive are currently working on something

Now THAT is what I would really love to see, a MINI doing rallying again!! but not in a four door, has to be the hatch, so come on mini put your AWD system in there and you might be onto a winner...

But back to the main topic of this thread, this thing looks like it has been smacked in the face by the back end of a BIG BUS :yes nod: and I dont like look, BUT I do like the fact that it has or will have AWD. I know my sister in-law has always loved the mini but has been able to get one because of my two nephews and the current mini being too small for all of them etc etc but hopefully now she might FINALLY be able to get herself a MINI (with 4 doors) and at last get rid of her minging scenic... :D

Now MINI GB where is my MINI VAN or MINI PICK-UP... Until then the roadster will have to do me :rolleyes: (so long as the roof when folded down is flush with the boot lid...):thumbs up:

Big Gordy
21st January 2010, 11:06 AM
poor we countryman, looks like its had a shock in the front on picture:rolleyes:

Big Gordy
21st January 2010, 11:11 AM
Forgot to say autocar also said that the countyman would be getting used for MINI's return to rallying and that prodrive are currently working on something

See my 'Mini goes rallying' posted yesterday in the motorsport section:thumbs up:

Crombers
21st January 2010, 01:36 PM

Are you standing or sitting, just trying to get this image right in my heid :rolleyes:

Ally S
21st January 2010, 02:24 PM
Its not bad, a bit getting used to but I quite like it.

Sheilz
21st January 2010, 03:07 PM
The red mini from auto car looks different from the pics released by BMW. I've got lost somewhere. The front of that red one does look pretty ok but the white one and grey ones don't. Are these two different models?

Sheilz
21st January 2010, 03:07 PM
Why has the red one got a scoop and not the others?

Bazthemod
21st January 2010, 03:45 PM
Auto car is an artist's impression that was released before the official release.

N16SHP
21st January 2010, 04:20 PM
I'm liking the one in Autocar! I think it's starting to grow on me a little. I do like the interior, and like the rear, just not keen on the front too much. But as I think Ken said, will hold off on truely passing judgment until I see it in the flesh!

Sheilz
21st January 2010, 06:11 PM
Auto car is an artist's impression that was released before the official release.

Thanks. Shame its only an artists impression and not the real thing. They maybe should get that artist into their design team.

AndyP & Lenore
21st January 2010, 08:08 PM
Are you standing or sitting, just trying to get this image right in my heid :rolleyes:

PMSL. Why would you WANT to get the image right? You're the weird one.:laugh:

Crombers
21st January 2010, 10:33 PM
PMSL. Why would you WANT to get the image right? You're the weird one.:laugh:

Weird .............me...............absotutely :yes nod:

Seriously , my brother in law has four sisters, not a brother in site. My sister regularly 'pisses' herself to the fact that he always sits for a 'wee' because he thought that was just the way you did it :D

None of you needed to know that but hey ho ................

weefossy
22nd January 2010, 12:09 AM
Tried all the variations, but not keen on this one. Prefer the Clubman and I didn't totally love that. Thinking about that, has the Works Clubman been officially launched yet? If not its 2 years late, so don't know how long this one will take. Like the idea of 4 wheel drive.

MINI William
22nd January 2010, 09:00 AM
Tried all the variations, but not keen on this one. Prefer the Clubman and I didn't totally love that. Thinking about that, has the Works Clubman been officially launched yet? If not its 2 years late, so don't know how long this one will take. Like the idea of 4 wheel drive.

Yehp works clubman out

The Bull
22nd January 2010, 04:48 PM
New official pics here:

http://www.netcarshow.com/mini/2011-countryman/

Mini Ecosse
22nd January 2010, 05:00 PM
Lots of pictures and info here:

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/autoexpressnews/247405/mini_countryman_official.html

Crombers
22nd January 2010, 05:21 PM
Lots of pictures and info here:

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/autoexpressnews/247405/mini_countryman_official.html

I stand by my original thought ............................ still f'ugly

AndyP & Lenore
22nd January 2010, 05:36 PM

I stand by my original thought.......... still very very very very nice indeed. Just watched the video on the Auto Express site that Mini Ecosse posted up.:thumbs up::thumbs up:

Back in a sec folks, off to change my boxers.:blush:

Crombers
22nd January 2010, 06:07 PM
Back in a sec folks, off to change my boxers.:blush:

YIG!! ...................................... (standing or sitting :confused: :rolleyes:)

stoney
22nd January 2010, 06:28 PM

2nd that

Scottie
22nd January 2010, 06:51 PM
not cheap price starting at 17k and that will be for the Mini One in the pictures I do not like picture number 4 straight front on look how strange is that as I like the general look of the car think it looks much better in the grey. also why put those awful looking wheels on the official S pictures.

illegalhunter
22nd January 2010, 08:33 PM
I would get 1 with stolen money.

KenL
22nd January 2010, 09:03 PM
How ugly does the front look in this pic?
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2783/4290489390_eb55c0a05b_b.jpg

weefossy
22nd January 2010, 09:08 PM
That is the worst view yet, defo not for us.

Duncan Stewart
22nd January 2010, 09:20 PM
I did not expect to like it, but I actually kinda like the chunky look :thumbs up:
I'd love to see the Mini return to rallying :D

Stewart
22nd January 2010, 09:31 PM
Is this what they are using for the rally? if so that explains the Grille, four big spots on that Bar.

Be interesting what everyone would think after seeing it in it Rally guise belting round corner scrambling for grip.

Crombers
23rd January 2010, 04:49 PM
How ugly does the front look in this pic?
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2783/4290489390_eb55c0a05b_b.jpg

Looks like it's eaten a wasp

The Dogfather
31st January 2010, 07:59 PM
One of the young lads on NM (Norman) has photoshopped the Countryman and come up with this: -

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e364/crazyemoskater/newmini.jpg

KenL
31st January 2010, 08:16 PM
One of the young lads on NM (Norman) has photoshopped the Countryman and come up with this: -

...and now it looks like a boy racer's version of the real thing :hand:

Forbes
31st January 2010, 08:39 PM

I like that. Looks beefy

Bazthemod
31st January 2010, 09:28 PM
He needs to step away from photoshop! lol... amateurs

The Dogfather
31st January 2010, 10:29 PM
it was only a 20 min job, still shows what could be done.