PDA

View Full Version : Tell me something interesting about yourself!!

G17RDY
19th January 2010, 11:31 PM
Ok, here it is, the thread which in inevitable in every forum in the world!!!

Tell us something true and interesting about yourself.

I'll start off with.....

I am a big collector of Movie Props and Replicas.
I currently have a room full of replica props, mainly from Lord of the Rings, which also includes various other replicas, from films like robocop, Men n Black and also some Hero Screen Used items from i,Robot.
I also build my own replica movie / game props.

And yes i am a Geek!!!

Sheilz
19th January 2010, 11:44 PM
By the age of ten I had read almost all the classics, my favourite at that time being Jane Eyre which I read three times in English, once in French and once completely from back to front. I have always loved books and writing. I wrote my first book when I was in Primary 5 about fish, I mean of all things I thought of to write about :rolleyes: My mum was immensely proud of my handwritten book ! I wrote my one and only proper book, historical research, in 1996. It was published with lottery funding and a donation from Christopher Forbes (House of Forbes). It enjoyed modest sales amongst local history geeks with some copies finding their way to all four corners of the globe. Sadly the last remaiing copies perished when the book shop in Fraserburgh burned down two years ago. LOL This of course might mean that the handful of copies I kept for the kids (its their inheritance :rolleyes:) may one day become priceless first editions :laugh::laugh::laugh:
On reflection this is not interesting, just plain weird :laugh::laugh::laugh:

GCA3N
19th January 2010, 11:48 PM
By the age of ten I had read almost all the classics, my favourite at that time being Jane Eyre which I read three times in English, once in French and once completely from back to front. I have always loved books and writing. I wrote my first book when I was in Primary 5 about fish, I mean of all things I thought of to write about :rolleyes: My mum was immensely proud of my handwritten book ! I wrote my one and only proper book, historical research, in 1996. It was published with lottery funding and a donation from Christopher Forbes (House of Forbes). It enjoyed modest sales amongst local history geeks with some copies finding their way to all

four corners of the globe. Sadly the last remaiing copies perished when the book shop in Fraserburgh burned down two years ago. LOL This of course might mean that the handful of copies I kept for the kids (its their inheritance :rolleyes:) may one day become priceless first editions :laugh::laugh::laugh:
On reflection this is not interesting, just plain weird :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Now that's interesting. Gonna have to give this alot of thought.

Fartin Martin
19th January 2010, 11:56 PM
Now that's interesting. Gonna have to give this alot of thought.

God i know..dont want to sound boring compared to that:lol:

AndyP & Lenore
20th January 2010, 12:31 AM
By the age of ten I had ....................... may one day become priceless first editions.

Holy sh!t Shielz, you're a dark horse. Talk about bringing a topic to a quick close. How are any of us supposed to top that!?!?:clap::clap::clap::laugh:

A.:D

AndyP & Lenore
20th January 2010, 12:38 AM
OK. I'll try anyway. Despite Shielz's incredible story.

Well, I would have said that I am a huge fan of Lee Child's ex Military Police investigator Jack reacher novels. The first forum i got addicted to (before I discovered NMS) was on his own web site at www.leechild.com From the friendships developed on there I created Lee's first unofficial web site www.reachercreatures.com. That site ran from 2001 to about 2 weeks ago. However, no point in telling you all that as I just sold the site to Lee's USA based brand manager as she can make waaaay better use of it than I can, and I just don't have the time to keep it updated these days. However, web design is still a basic interest.

Erm.... wot else? Spoke at a conference in London last year on Independent Cinema's. A bit nerve racking speaking in front of my colleagues in the industry, but got a huge buzz. And I'm back speaking again in February, this time about 3D.

Good lord this is difficult. Thanks Shielz.:frown::laugh:

Sheilz
20th January 2010, 01:40 AM
Ooo[s! Sorry, Err! Can I make amends by offering for free a complete set of the Acts of the Scottish Parliament from the Reign of Robert I (the Bruce) that are taking up a lot of loft space. They make quite interesting reading :laugh::laugh::laugh:

seriously I thought my one was geeky in a very old fashioned way, and dead boring to boot.

Craig
20th January 2010, 09:06 AM
In 1984 (I think) I won a competition on top gear for guessing the rally drivers. I got given a top gear jacket as a prize. I threw it out a few years ago ...... Think it might have been worth a few bob now. ...

GCA3N
20th January 2010, 09:20 AM
Sheilz you have set a high bar, but after Craig's entry feel I can give it a go...LOL, sorry Craig. Thought I would do 2, in 1992 I won the apprentice of the year form all the power companies in Scotland(around 200 apprentices) They sent me to Germany for 2 weeks to represent Scottish Nuclear, was dead proud.

In 1989 I ran 4 marathons in one year, and along with 2 other guys won the great Britain cross country hiking championships, In my fitter days, very fitter days. Ok I've bummed myself enough someone else's shot.

ianking
20th January 2010, 09:43 AM
In 1996 I was awarded Scottish Enterprise young business man of the year award, I won an all expenses trip for me and my family to Florida with a day at a business school there. I was only 14 at the time. I had set up a business reconditioning electrical appliances and selling them on.

In 2003 I was selected as the Hunter for Penicuik and represented my town at all the historic border common ridings, and just last year as an ex principle and comittee member I was allowed to ride in the newly reformed Edinburgh Riding of the Marches and I got to ride up the Royal Mile after crossing over the Pentland hills with 300 other horses.

AndyP & Lenore
20th January 2010, 09:46 AM
In 1996 I was awarded Scottish Enterprise young business man of the year award, I won an all expenses trip for me and my family to Florida with a day at a business school there. I was only 14 at the time. I had set up a business reconditioning electrical appliances and selling them on.

Ian, that's pretty cool. What happened to that business? Or should I not ask.:confused:

ianking
20th January 2010, 09:51 AM
I kind of grew out of it as I thought it was a bit weired, when I got to about 18 anyway.
Also folk can buy new white goods for so cheap now that reconditioning is not worth it anymore.
I had saved up enough over the couple of years to buy a fairly decent motor when I was 18 though

GCA3N
20th January 2010, 09:57 AM
I kind of grew out of it as I thought it was a bit weired, when I got to about 18 anyway.
Also folk can buy new white goods for so cheap now that reconditioning is not worth it anymore.
I had saved up enough over the couple of years to buy a fairly decent motor when I was 18 though

:thumbs up: nice one.

ianking
20th January 2010, 10:34 AM
Oh, forgot to add, after I won the award I was on a BBC childrens TV show called 'Bright Sparks'. I had to talk about the award and what I done as the business etc. It was presented by Diane Louise Jordan. All my school mates got bussed through to sit in the audience.

zimbo
20th January 2010, 10:50 AM
I am a big collector of Movie Props and Replicas.
I currently have a room full of replica props, mainly from Lord of the Rings, which also includes various other replicas, from films like robocop, Men n Black and also some Hero Screen Used items from i,Robot.
I also build my own replica movie / game props.

And yes i am a Geek!!!

OK now if all this makes you a Geek then I must be as well because I also collect Movie memorabilia, like character figures, movie posters (which are very hard to get...), autographs etc etc I also collect model cars like formula 1 cars 1/18 and 1/43 scale road and race cars, various bikes (built by myself, so far) and military planes!! oh and I am a HUGE CAR NUT!! and have been since before I could walk... :D

Oh and I also enjoy photography and also drawing... :yes nod:

And this is all I'm telling you :hand:

N16SHP
20th January 2010, 11:02 AM
A'l give it a bash. Mine are both pretty much sport related.

In 2005 I captained the Scotland U18 American Football team against England. Was totally the proudest day of my life as my Dad came to watch, and it was one of the first times he'd seen me play and didn't realise what I was really like. We beat England 45-12 that day and I managed to put 13 points on the board myself which lead to the games MVP award (most valuable player.) In terms of something cool that's related, in 2004 I went to the Scottish Claymores junior training camp and was coached by a guy called Amp Lee, who caught the last ever touchdown pass thrown by Joe Montana. After dinner at the camp every night, one coach would stand up and tell us about him...and I kid you not everyone was just in awe of this guy. Totally unassuming modest kinda guy.

I also play hockey at a high level and I am currently sponsored by Dita. The sponsorships have came mainly through where I work, kinda knowing the right people at the right time kinda thing.

GCA3N
20th January 2010, 11:54 AM

In 2005 I captained the Scotland U18 American Football team against England. Was totally the proudest day of my life as my Dad came to watch, and it was one of the first times he'd seen me play and didn't realise what I was really like. We beat England 45-12 that day and I managed to put 13 points on the board myself which lead to the games MVP award (most valuable player.) In terms of something cool that's related, in 2004 I went to the Scottish

Claymores junior training camp and was coached by a guy called Amp Lee, who caught the last ever touchdown pass thrown by Joe Montana. After dinner at the camp every night, one coach would stand up and tell us about him...and I kid you not everyone was just in awe of this guy. Totally unassuming modest kinda guy.

I also play hockey at a high level and I am currently sponsored by Dita. The sponsorships have came mainly through where I work, kinda knowing the right people at the right time kinda thing.

that's so cool quite funny hearing this stuff well impressed so far

Gismo
20th January 2010, 03:08 PM
As Andy said, thanks Sheilz, erm, where to start........
Ok, managed to realise my dream of playing professional football, had trials at Queens Park Rangers and was 4 days away from a trial at Glasgow Rangers but sadly i suffered a cartlidge tear in my right knee which so far has caused me to have 6 operations and i'm actually going for another MRI scan on the 29th January :ragin:

Another notable thing, i beat the reigning world 8 ball champion at a pool tournament at Pettycur Bay, what made it more satisfying was he was undefeated and had won world titles 7 years on the trot

Sheilz
20th January 2010, 04:34 PM

That's quite an achievement for a fourteen year old boy :thumbs up::thumbs up:

Sheilz
20th January 2010, 04:36 PM

In 2005 I captained the Scotland U18 American Football team against England. Was totally the proudest day of my life as my Dad came to watch, and it was one of the first times he'd seen me play and didn't realise what I was really like. We beat England 45-12 that day and I managed to put 13 points on the board myself which lead to the games MVP award (most valuable player.) In terms of something cool that's related, in 2004 I went to the Scottish Claymores junior training camp and was coached by a guy called Amp Lee, who caught the last ever touchdown pass thrown by Joe Montana. After dinner at the camp every night, one coach would stand up and tell us about him...and I kid you not everyone was just in awe of this guy. Totally unassuming modest kinda guy.

I like the idea of someone giving the 'auld enemy' a good thrashing :thumbs up::thumbs up:

Sheilz
20th January 2010, 04:50 PM
As Andy said, thanks Sheilz, erm, where to start........
Ok, managed to realise my dream of playing professional football, had trials at Queens Park Rangers and was 4 days away from a trial at Glasgow Rangers but sadly i suffered a cartlidge tear in my right knee which so far has caused me to have 6 operations and i'm actually going for another MRI scan on the 29th January :ragin:

Another notable thing, i beat the reigning world 8 ball champion at a pool tournament at Pettycur Bay, what made it more satisfying was he was undefeated and had won world titles 7 years on the trot

That's a shame. You could've been the new Gordon Strachan. :thumbs up: Always remember watching him play in a big match and ended up laughing so hard at the wee man competing with a strapping six footer to get his head to the ball first. I think the commentator also made a comment about it being a very optimistic attempt

Sheilz
20th January 2010, 04:54 PM
Sheilz you have set a high bar, but after Craig's entry feel I can give it a go...LOL, sorry Craig. Thought I would do 2, in 1992 I won the apprentice of the year form all the power companies in Scotland(around 200 apprentices) They sent me to Germany for 2 weeks to represent Scottish Nuclear, was dead proud.

In 1989 I ran 4 marathons in one year, and along with 2 other guys won the great Britain cross country hiking championships, In my fitter days, very fitter days. Ok I've bummed myself enough someone else's shot.

Why was that so hard to come up with ? They're both considerable achievements :thumbs up:

GCA3N
20th January 2010, 04:56 PM
Why was that so hard to come up with ? They're both considerable achievements :thumbs up:

Thank you, but initially I found it hard to recall something more recent had to rake back into the older memories.

Sheilz
20th January 2010, 05:01 PM
Thank you, but initially I found it hard to recall something more recent had to rake back into the older memories.

LOL not so far back as me :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Big Gordy
20th January 2010, 05:21 PM
In 2005 I captained the Scotland U18 American Football team against England.

Hey that's cool:cool: I played American football too but way back in 1985 when it just started being shown on channel 4. I was a tight end (oooooerrr missus:blush:) for the Forth Valley Generals for 3 years. Reached the finals the first year we played only to be gubbed by the polis team Fife 49'ers at Stirling Albions old astro turf pitch:frown: Was a good day tho:smilewinkgrin:

My only claim to fame is being Pre65 Scottish Scrambles champion from 1999 to 2001:thumbs up:

GCA3N
20th January 2010, 05:24 PM
My only claim to fame is being Pre65 Scottish Scrambles champion from 1999 to 2001:thumbs up:

what is scrambles? at first I though you said scrabble champion !

Big Gordy
20th January 2010, 05:26 PM
It's called motocross these days Greig:thumbs up: I'll try and dig some pictures out for you.

GCA3N
20th January 2010, 05:27 PM
It's called motocross these days Greig:thumbs up:

I had a sneaky suspicion that's what it was, nice one.

Big Gordy
20th January 2010, 05:36 PM
Here ya go Greig.......

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h187/BigGordy/Yamaha/XTWheelie-01-1.jpg

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h187/BigGordy/Yamaha/02Kincardine-01.jpg

stoney
20th January 2010, 05:44 PM
some thing intresting need to have a good think dont think there is that much to tell but wil have a think

camjay
20th January 2010, 05:49 PM
When we got married, we travelled around America on our honeymoon. We were in LA doing the touristy things and outside Mann's Chinese Theatre, we were asked if we wanted to be extras in a film.

So, we were extras in "Man in the Moon" about comedian, Andy Kaufman starring Jim Carey! Long, boring day - never ever again! Chuck wagon was good though! :thumbs up:

Ps, Still never seen the film!

GCA3N
20th January 2010, 05:56 PM
Here ya go Greig.......

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h187/BigGordy/Yamaha/XTWheelie-01-1.jpg

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h187/BigGordy/Yamaha/02Kincardine-01.jpg

You were itching to put them up. lol, nice one

Scottie
20th January 2010, 07:40 PM
I've nothing out of the ordinary to tell about my life.

Can tell you plenty of things my dad done that is not every day:D

Sheilz
20th January 2010, 08:41 PM
I've nothing out of the ordinary to tell about my life.

Can tell you plenty of things my dad done that is not every day:D

Nothing out of the ordinary? You've been on the site just a few months longer than me yet how many minis have you owned compared to the rest of us? LOL Think you could lay claim to be Champion mini owner on NMS ! :thumbs up:

I think your dad's generation would have stories to tell that would make ours pall into insignificance. Mine woud've been 92 on 11th Jan and his life was defo more adventurous and scary than anything I could begin to imagine.

Livi
20th January 2010, 10:17 PM
There is really nothing interesting about myself.

2000 - 2003 i was going semi-pro with my skateboarding and skated for a brand called Ollie which was the same company owned by Bench Clothing , before i got my apprenticeship with JC august 2003 i was skateboarding around 10-12 hours a day as i worked at the skatepark as a skate steward, so i work and still have fun. I had to give it up due to knee problems after jumping stair sets of 12 and such when i got keyhole surgery to remove cartledge from my knee - so i concentrated more on my qualifications.

now here is the sad geeky part for collections! - for my 21st from Gran, i got 35+ pocket watches so i have managed to place them into a cabinet for show, but the only annoying thing is, winding them and when the clocks either go forward or back..... you know where im going with this :lol:

Played bass for an alternative/metal band which ended after 2006 with one album made (not signed so not in shops) but its good fun to actually make something and play gigs :D

Ivano
20th January 2010, 10:58 PM
There is really nothing interesting about myself.

2000 - 2003 i was going semi-pro with my skateboarding and skated for a brand called Ollie which was the same company owned by Bench Clothing , before i got my apprenticeship with JC august 2003 i was skateboarding around 10-12 hours a day as i worked at the skatepark as a skate steward, so i work and still have fun. I had to give it up due to knee problems after jumping stair sets of 12 and such when i got keyhole surgery to remove cartledge from my knee - so i concentrated more on my qualifications.

now here is the sad geeky part for collections! - for my 21st from Gran, i got 35+ pocket watches so i have managed to place them into a cabinet for show, but the only annoying thing is, winding them and when the clocks either go forward or back..... you know where im going with this :lol:

Played bass for an alternative/metal band which ended after 2006 with one album made (not signed so not in shops) but its good fun to actually make something and play gigs :D

Do you know Kev Dornan? who runs Clan Skates in Glasgow, he is a good skater. I used to skate with Kev back in the eighties. He is over 40 now and still skating.

Livi
20th January 2010, 11:02 PM
Do you know Kev Dornan? who runs Clan Skates in Glasgow, he is a good skater. I used to skate with Kev back in the eighties. He is over 40 now and still skating.

I most probably would from going to the Livingston weekends, but never heard of Clan Skates? ive been out the game far too long now, but it is actually good to still know people that age are still up for the skate! :D

Ivano
20th January 2010, 11:06 PM
I most probably would from going to the Livingston weekends, but never heard of Clan Skates? ive been out the game far too long now, but it is actually good to still know people that age are still up for the skate! :D

Ahhh Livingston.... We were there for the Powell Bones Brigade tour back in the early eighties and when the crew paid a visit to the Skate department in the original Virgin megastore on Union Street in Glasgow... Awesome :yes nod:

Livi
20th January 2010, 11:11 PM
Ahhh Livingston.... We were there for the Powell Bones Brigade tour back in the early eighties and when the crew paid a visit to the Skate department in the original Virgin megastore on Union Street in Glasgow... Awesome :yes nod:

The good thing about Livi was the camping and long night (sometimes allnight) skating! most people were that smashed off there face, nothing bothered them when they bailed out! haha good times!

I still wish i could still skate, but i cant wake up on a cold morning without struggling to stand, so when at the gym, i take my time with the leg machines and will hopefully get to a normal level again

baptie
21st January 2010, 08:28 AM
For 27 years I celibrated my birthday today - 21st January.
On the eve of getting married I picked up my birth certificate, all paperwork, pictures and keepsakes lost in fire years before.
opened birth certificate and it read - 23rd January 1977............

Called my mum asking what was the score, she promptly told me she was out the game for three day during my birth and my dad registered me.
After a phone call to doctors surgery for confirmation I received a letter through the post from my family doctor which read....

.....I can confirm that your date of birth is indeed 23rd January 1977!!!!

Bummer

Merry unbirthday to me, like the queen......without the crown and the dress.

Craig
21st January 2010, 08:45 AM
for 27 years i celibrated my birthday today - 21st january.
On the eve of getting married i picked up my birth certificate, all paperwork, pictures and keepsakes lost in fire years before.
Opened birth certificate and it read - 23rd january 1977............

Called my mum asking what was the score, she promptly told me she was out the game for three day during my birth and my dad registered me.
After a phone call to doctors surgery for confirmation i received a letter through the post from my family doctor which read....

.....i can confirm that your date of birth is indeed 23rd january 1977!!!!

Bummer

merry unbirthday to me, like the queen......without the crown and the dress.

OMG..... :thud: its amazing that it's gone on this long without you knowing the real date. Good you got it sorted tho... :thumbs up: Happy Birthday in 2 days time then... :thumbs up:

GCA3N
21st January 2010, 10:06 AM
For 27 years I celibrated my birthday today - 21st January.
On the eve of getting married I picked up my birth certificate, all paperwork, pictures and keepsakes lost in fire years before.
opened birth certificate and it read - 23rd January 1977............

After a phone call to doctors surgery for confirmation I received a letter through the post from my family doctor which read....

.....I can confirm that your date of birth is indeed 23rd January 1977!!!!

Bummer

Merry unbirthday to me, like the queen......without the crown and the dress.

How strange is that, that must feel really strange for you, if that was me I'd just stick to the 21st, it's close enough, let's be honest the 21st will always feel like you birthday anyway.

baptie
21st January 2010, 11:10 AM
I am due a text from my mum to truely rub it in!

I still phone places and they as my name and DOB, i say "steven crawford, 23/1/1977"
they reply, "can you repeat birthdate please"
I reply "21/01/1977"

canny beat it

koolsville
21st January 2010, 04:30 PM
Back in the eighties I won two 'design a logo' competitions in the same summer. One was for the St. Nicholas Centre in Aberdeen (which they never used) and the other for the Beach Leisure Centre... yep, that horrendous Beach Ball logo that adorned the seafront for years was my fault.

The coolest part was getting my photo in the Peoples Journal, 'cos my late Granny read it.

baptie
22nd January 2010, 12:06 AM
I am due a text from my mum to truely rub it in!

She just left after delivering birthday pressy!!!

stoney
22nd January 2010, 09:57 AM
well the only thing i can think of is i used to horse ride and have won meny of show jumping comps i have jumped along side the witicers and other famous show jumpers

i won well over a £1k in winning over a few years and then got band from jumping in a newcomers class cos i havd won to meny

i was a regested with the BSJA (brithish show jumping assoisashon)

i also used to work the gate at the aldut comps and meet most of the brithish olipic show juping teem