PDA

View Full Version : iPhone/iTunes/laptop help?

Fartin Martin
19th January 2010, 06:04 PM
Right folks..need help!

Just got new laptop so im trying to get all my songs from my iTunes over from the old one to the new one..

sooo..copied them all onto the memory card on my phone(ericsson) and then put them onto new laptop into my iTunes..easy enough!..nope!!..they won't play because the original file is not on the laptop?:confused:

i there any way round this folks??..can i sync my iphone to the old laptop and then transfer them either to my new laptop at least then onto the new iTunes then sync the new playlist to the phone?

thanks

Martin

Craig
19th January 2010, 06:15 PM
would love to help Martin, but I just got my first ipod a week ago so I'm nae use... :blush: :lol:

Forbes
19th January 2010, 06:20 PM
Think you need to save them to the computer and get the itunes to "sync"? with the folder that you put them in. Otherwise it will keep looking for the memory card to find them. How you do this am not sure.

Fartin Martin
19th January 2010, 06:21 PM
would love to help Martin, but I just got my first ipod a week ago so I'm nae use... :blush: :lol:

Pfffft!!:lol..that is nae good!! lol..nae worries ;)

Its stressin me out though!..bloody Apple..how can they not make it easy for us!!

GCA3N
19th January 2010, 06:45 PM
Right Martin find the folder that keeps all your songs in on your old lap top. If you are not sure right click on a song on your library and get info. Should be something like c:\users\music\itunesmusic\ (then the album and song) Anyway this folder should contain all the songs on you library. You need to copy this folder onto you new laptop. Into your music folder. Put itunes onto your new laptop and then open it up. Now select the folder with all the music on and literally drag and drop onto the itunes music. This will then link up the shortcut so itunes knows where to look to play the file. If you struggling I can talk you through it. I'll pm u my num if you want.

Fartin Martin
19th January 2010, 07:00 PM
Right Martin find the folder that keeps all your songs in on your old lap top. If you are not sure right click on a song on your library and get info. Should be something like c:\users\music\itunesmusic\ (then the album and song) Anyway this folder should contain all the songs on you library. You need to copy this folder onto you new laptop. Into your music folder. Put itunes onto your new laptop and then open it up. Now select the folder with all the music on and literally drag and drop onto the itunes music. This will then link up the shortcut so itunes knows where to look to play the file. If you struggling I can talk you through it. I'll pm u my num if you want.

Hi Greig..thats fantastic..I'll give it a bash just now and let you know how i get on!;)

GCA3N
19th January 2010, 07:04 PM
Hi Greig..thats fantastic..I'll give it a bash just now and let you know how i get on!;)

No probs mate, popping out to take my wee one to badminton at 6.30 but will be back at 6.45.

Fartin Martin
19th January 2010, 07:28 PM
No probs mate, popping out to take my wee one to badminton at 6.30 but will be back at 6.45.

no worries..I'm nicking out soon too..TV shopping!:D..so i'l see how far I get!:p

G17RDY
19th January 2010, 09:29 PM
Do you know, i have just done this very thing for a friend not an hour ago.

What greig said is spot on, I copied them in slightly differently though
i copied the itunes folder (within documents and settings) on the old laptop onto a external HDD, then opened up itunes on the new PC, and with the external HDD connected simply went to File - Add folder to library, searched for the folder on the Ex HDD and clicked open - It then read in all the songs - Simples!!!

Fartin Martin
20th January 2010, 12:01 AM
Do you know, i have just done this very thing for a friend not an hour ago.

What greig said is spot on, I copied them in slightly differently though
i copied the itunes folder (within documents and settings) on the old laptop onto a external HDD, then opened up itunes on the new PC, and with the external HDD connected simply went to File - Add folder to library, searched for the folder on the Ex HDD and clicked open - It then read in all the songs - Simples!!!

hmmm..me no have one of those!!:(..just got back in so i'm gonna give it another bash!..fingers crossed..think im gonna be here a while!!:lol:

Fartin Martin
20th January 2010, 01:20 AM
raaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagh!!!!

well..thought I had it sussed..but nahhhh!!:ragin:

got all the songs from the old laptop to the new one and onto the iTunes..but when i go to play some of them, it somes up it can't locate the file location!..surely it must be easier than this!!!!!!!!!!

knew it was going to be a long night!!:lol

GCA3N
20th January 2010, 09:10 AM
raaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagh!!!!

well..thought I had it sussed..but nahhhh!!:ragin:

got all the songs from the old laptop to the new one and onto the iTunes..but when i go to play some of them, it somes up it can't locate the file location!..surely it must be easier than this!!!!!!!!!!

knew it was going to be a long night!!:lol

What you like. If there is a song that won't play then if you set itunes as your default player, or right click on the song/open with/itunes it will link the song. What you have to remember is that itunes is simply a device that shows all your music in one program from all The songs your C drive. If you move a file after it has linked a short cut to itunes, itunes will not be able to locate it. I'll give you an example. I had 22GB of music in a folder in my c drive. I moved the folder into another drive and itunes lost every link. I then had to delete all the short cuts in itunes, then re drop the folder into itunes creating a new short cut. Remember do not move the folder(or rename it) where all your music is afterb you have linked them. Try again tonight, any probs you have my number.

baptie
20th January 2010, 11:10 AM
Copy your music folder from your old PC to your new PC. For me this was from:
\\oldmachine\c\My Music to F:\My Music.

Copy your old itunes directory from your old PC to your new PC. For me this was from:
\\oldmachine\c\My Music\iTunes to C:\Users\andy\Music\iTunes.

Empty the iTunes Library.itl by typing:
Search for "iTunes Library.itl", open up and delete all the gubbins, then save

Edit the "iTunes Music Library.xml" file by globally replacing the old location with the new location.
Turn on iTunes on the new PC. It will complain about the .itl file being corrupted (this is ok) and rebuild from the .xml.

At the end of this process you should be back in business and your playlists, ratings, play counts, etc. should all be restored.

Fartin Martin
20th January 2010, 11:25 AM
What you like. If there is a song that won't play then if you set itunes as your default player, or right click on the song/open with/itunes it will link the song. What you have to remember is that itunes is simply a device that shows all your music in one program from all The songs your C drive. If you move a file after it has linked a short cut to itunes, itunes will not be able to locate it. I'll give you an example. I had 22GB of music in a folder in my c drive. I moved the folder into another drive and itunes lost every link. I then had to delete all the short cuts in itunes, then re drop the folder into itunes creating a new short cut. Remember do not move the folder(or rename it) where all your music is afterb you have linked them. Try again tonight, any probs you have my number.

Greig..I think this is what I've done!:confused:

nae time tonight to try sort it..probs tomorrow when I'm next free..but pretty sure I'll be phoning you!:lol:

Cheers mate;)

GCA3N
20th January 2010, 12:04 PM
Greig..I think this is what I've done!:confused:

nae time tonight to try sort it..probs tomorrow when I'm next free..but pretty sure I'll be phoning you!:lol:

Cheers mate;)

No probs mate.

Fartin Martin
20th January 2010, 12:23 PM
Baptie..I'll give that a bash if it doesn't work!;)

Cheers

Martin

Gismo
20th January 2010, 02:51 PM
Google and download sharepod, extract the files and paste into the root of your ipod.
In windows explorer select your ipod to show the root contents and double click the sharepod application.
Allow it to fully index your ipod contents, then, simply copy to PC at your desired location.

You can decide on album, artist and track name etc etc

Restore your iPod after confirming the music is on your PC and simply upload all the files back to your iPod to create a new library.