PDA

View Full Version : Personal registrations???

zimbo
18th January 2010, 10:53 PM
Personal registrations, where do yoy recommend getting them from? I have found one that I REALLY like and it is with Regtransfers.co.uk are they ok? getting 30% off at the moment as well with them.

Feel like treating myself for my up coming birthday... :D

Fartin Martin
18th January 2010, 10:56 PM
The cheapest is dvla surely as that's where these companies buy them from?? They add a charge ontop of that obviously to make a profit. Anyone please correct me if I'm wrong

martin

Bazthemod
18th January 2010, 11:01 PM
got mine from dvla, try their site for it. You might find it has been bought though from a 3rd party that will put their own cut on it.

Forbes
18th January 2010, 11:02 PM
The cheapest is dvla surely as that's where these companies buy them from?? They add a charge ontop of that obviously to make a profit. Anyone please correct me if I'm wrong

martin

Yup if DVLA have it they will be the cheapest. The one I have (OO04 BES) was double the price on reg transfers so watch out

Fartin Martin
18th January 2010, 11:05 PM
Yeah that's what I thought..these sites are good cos you sometime find a plate that won't show up on the dvla..but when you do find it..put it in dvla's website and I will come up..so buy it from there!;)

I can't wait to get my new plate!:D

Craig
19th January 2010, 12:03 AM
yeah Ali - dvla is the best and cheapest to buy from. Really easy and that is where I have bought all the family plates from :thumbs up: everywhere from £250 up to £499. Also watch out as the price with DVLA is inclusive of the £80 transfer fee, but commercial companies only show their price, you have to add the DVLA cost of £80 on top... be warned.. :clap:

Stewart
19th January 2010, 12:16 AM
As said most of these Car reg sites just have the DVLA database plus a few more of there own. My plate I really wanted was on the DVLA site for six months V1 *** and the very night I went to buy it, it was missing from the site and had been sold a few hours before……

So V3 had to do. But the other sites had the V3 plate for a few hundred more and they did not even own it, it was still DVLA.

Livi
19th January 2010, 01:13 AM
Got dads scooby one from here http://www.newreg.co.uk/

cost 300 note including everything included, just needed to fit them :D

stoney
19th January 2010, 08:11 AM
dvla as rest of them said thats where we got all of are plates from

baptie
19th January 2010, 08:18 AM
Got mine from DVLA, £249 - S19 BAP

zimbo
19th January 2010, 09:56 AM
Thanks for all the replies folks, thought a lot of you used DVLA but just wasn't 100% sure, will give them a wee look now to see if Its there and for how much... :D

GCA3N
19th January 2010, 11:38 AM
DVLA for me too, very good and very easy.

zimbo
19th January 2010, 12:05 PM
Well found a few nice ones but they are not cheap, rangeing from £250 - £800 :thud: the two that I REALLY like are £399 and £799... :argh:

Stewart
19th January 2010, 12:49 PM
The main Reg I wanted was £980 for the V1 plate, I took too long as I said, the very night I went to buy it, it had been sold. I looked at it this way, once you’ve got it that probably the reg you’ll have for life. Ended up paying £390 I think it was all in for the V3.

zimbo
19th January 2010, 12:54 PM
It is so difficult to choose, been rumageing around in here for a while now and found some more awesome ones for £250... but i want them all... :argh:

Crombers
19th January 2010, 01:29 PM
DVLA all the way. Bought two now & easily the cheapest way of doing things.

Gismo
19th January 2010, 01:43 PM
There's a pattern emerging here Ali, DVLA, all the way, no hidden costs, what you see is what you pay

baptie
19th January 2010, 01:45 PM
exactly, the price you get is the price you pay.
Nip down to your local dealer and get some Mini plates. Bobs your Auntie

zimbo
19th January 2010, 02:15 PM
DAMN IT:argh: the one I really like is no cheap!!! (by my standards) (£399) Arrgggghhhhh what do i do what do i do what do i do....

GCA3N
19th January 2010, 02:18 PM
What is it mate?

zimbo
19th January 2010, 02:23 PM
V 21 MBO, so will look like this V 21MBO (ZIMBO)

OR I can get one that has FUD as the last three letters on it for £250 :rolleyes: Just not sure if I could get away with that one... :D

Fartin Martin
19th January 2010, 02:25 PM
DAMN IT:argh: the one I really like is no cheap!!! (by my standards) (£399) Arrgggghhhhh what do i do what do i do what do i do....

i thought £399 was pretty cheap..my new ones £599!:lol:...

...butttttt..just get it..you know you want tooooo!!:D

GCA3N
19th January 2010, 02:38 PM
Yeh I agree get it. I paid £950 for mine for my 21st 15 yrs ago so 400 is quite good. What I Would say is to avoid a plate where you have to change spacing or make letters look like something else never been a fan of that. Hey it's your plate though I think a private plate is a nice edition to any car.

Livi
19th January 2010, 02:42 PM
OR I can get one that has FUD as the last three letters on it

Ill sell you my GUF plate :D

zimbo
19th January 2010, 02:55 PM
Ill sell you my GUF plate :D

ummmmm thanks but no thanks David :hand: decision is hard enought between these two already as it is mate... :rolleyes:

Forbes
19th January 2010, 04:06 PM
That is fairly cheap one. Better have one you really like as I am sure you'll keep it awhile

Burple
19th January 2010, 04:15 PM
You should just go for D 066 ERR!!! :moonie::laugh::laugh::moonie:

dellie
19th January 2010, 04:25 PM
I was £250 from DVLA which included the transfer fee.

I got DE03 LLE, everyone calls me DELLIE and D3LLE wasn't available

Fartin Martin
19th January 2010, 04:33 PM
You should just go for D 066 ERR!!! :moonie::laugh::laugh::moonie:

is that available???:lol:

MINI William
19th January 2010, 05:42 PM
Zimbo get V21 MBO bought

G17RDY
19th January 2010, 06:23 PM
Did you Buy it...??? If so great decision.

For around a year i longed for a particular plate G20 RDY - at price of £1000 on the DVLA - Without a word of a lie i must of looked at it everyday - And it took a year to save the cash up.

Finally had the money, checked the website - still for sale - called up to buy and found out it had sold a week before and they hadn't updated the website (this was back in '98)

I was gutted, ended up going for G17RDY - which i only paid half the money for £500 - and maybe it's because i own it now, but i think its better than the one i originally wanted!!!!

The Lesson - If you see one buy it, cause someone else will!!!!!!!

A rule when i recently bought the wife's - F10 NRC (Fiona C) again at a cost of £500 - F plates have only just been released and going fast, couldn't resist this little number for her!!!! And hopefully it will look even better when she gets her clubman.

Livi
19th January 2010, 06:35 PM
Well... Gordy, when i bought dads plate, i was looking at something and when i went to phone up, they said its sold, but they keep it up so people look at other things similar and they always get a sale from it

Craig
19th January 2010, 06:44 PM
Well... Gordy, when i bought dads plate, i was looking at something and when i went to phone up, they said its sold, but they keep it up so people look at other things similar and they always get a sale from it

aye, heard that also... :rolleyes:

and answer yer PM's david... :lol:

bry_mini
19th January 2010, 07:06 PM
Get in there fast!!!! I lost out on a couple of crackers because i couldnt make up my mind!
Was on the blower the second the 'F's were released.....was after F1 BRY, it was gone so settled for F7 BRY, £950 from dvla!

Livi
19th January 2010, 07:25 PM
aye, heard that also... :rolleyes:

and answer yer PM's david... :lol:

well i dont do that! :lol:

and will in the morning Craig, sorry about the day was a bit hectic!

Craig
19th January 2010, 07:42 PM
well i dont do that! :lol:

and will in the morning Craig, sorry about the day was a bit hectic!

nae worries :thumbs up:

G17RDY
19th January 2010, 09:24 PM

That actually makes perfect sense, i'd never thought of that before!!!

Craig
19th January 2010, 09:48 PM
Just had a look thro the next auction that the DVLA have.... one for Fiona there on Friday 29th... SCO711E. :clap:

only £400 reserve... :yes nod:

KenL
19th January 2010, 10:45 PM
Yeh I agree get it. I paid £950 for mine for my 21st 15 yrs ago so 400 is quite good. What I Would say is to avoid a plate where you have to change spacing or make letters look like something else never been a fan of that. Hey it's your plate though I think a private plate is a nice edition to any car.

Well said.

KenL
19th January 2010, 10:50 PM
Does anyone feel guilty that they are willing to throw away cash on something this frivolous with what has happened in Haiti?

GCA3N
19th January 2010, 10:56 PM
Does anyone feel guilty that they are willing to throw away cash on something this frivolous with what has happened in Haiti?

It's a good point ken. You could argue that for alot of stuff. I mean how much does any off us spend on our cars when the majority of the worlds population live in abject poverty. I guess this is a whole different argument

baptie
19th January 2010, 10:57 PM
sitting planning a holiday, don't feel guilt in the slightest.
I would love to see if there was an earthquake in Partick, let see how many Haitians donate cash.

I don't go in for the whole donate thing thing, we both give to charities.
All these adverts for dog homes, africa, sponser a child, sponser a polar bear!
Don't do tin rattlers or big issue as I have no idea where the money goes.

Buy your number plate and text 'donate' if you are orange and give £2.50 to Haiti!

Sheilz
19th January 2010, 11:12 PM
OR I can get one that has FUD as the last three letters on it for £250 :rolleyes: Just not sure if I could get away with that one... :D

When I worked at a residential school one woman who joined the care staff had A1 FUD as her car reg. Didn't take long for the Principal and head of SW to ban her from taking her car into the school carpark. Thing that made me oggle was finding out it had been bought for her by her sons. My boys wouldn't buy that for anyone but never in a million years for their mother. It most definitely crosses a boundary.

Craig
19th January 2010, 11:18 PM
What is happening in Haiti is really bad - no question... Do I feel guilty that I go about my day without changing it? Nope. I work my ass off for what I have and I give hansomly to charity (over £200 last year) so do I think I should give to people in Haiti, well not really as I have always believed that we have enough problems in our own country to deal with and if their own Government was not so corrupt then they may have more money to help their own.

Don't take my comments as insensitive please, I know more than most that loosing someone is hard.... where do you stop with giving? I give to charities that I know do good and they are charities I believe in.

G17RDY
19th January 2010, 11:24 PM

Yes and no......

And this part i know is way off topic, and bears no relevance to the main thread, so i am sorry.

If i were to think about it, i have a life of luxury compared to a good proportion of the population not only in the UK but in the world. And yes there are millions of people out there that are starving and live in extreme poverty - However i belive it wouldn't matter how much money you throw at something, you'll never ever change most of it - The world we live in is a very fast paced, corrupt, greedy and disposable society.
At times i do feel guilty for being frivolous - but i tend to lead my life with the tools and money i have - Which is a selfish point of view, i know.

However, until the UK and world governments cease wasting public cash (recent expenses row for example) i'm afraid i will continue to selfishly support myself and my family.

I guess the way i see it, If the MP's of britain, don't feel guilty about spending public funds on their own luxuorious lifestyles - rather than helping families and people in need in this country - then why should i feel guilty about spending my own cash on things i want with money i have worked hard to earn.

Sorry sorry, just my tuppence worth.

Sheilz
19th January 2010, 11:25 PM
sitting planning a holiday, don't feel guilt in the slightest.
I would love to see if there was an earthquake in Partick, let see how many Haitians donate cash.

I don't go in for the whole donate thing thing, we both give to charities.
All these adverts for dog homes, africa, sponser a child, sponser a polar bear!
Don't do tin rattlers or big issue as I have no idea where the money goes.

Buy your number plate and text 'donate' if you are orange and give £2.50 to Haiti!

I think that would be because Haiti is one of the poorest countries in the world. Fortunately for us this is unlikely to be tested but assistance comes in different forms other than hard cash. No one can say that they wouldn't help us in whatever way they could.

GCA3N
19th January 2010, 11:28 PM
What is happening in Haiti is really bad - no question... Do I feel guilty that I go about my day without changing it? Nope. I work my ass off for what I have and I give hansomly to charity (over £200 last year) so do I think I should give to people in Haiti, well not really as I have always believed that we have enough problems in our own country to deal with and if their own Government was not so corrupt then they may have more money to help their own

Don't take my comments as insensitive please, I know more than most that loosing someone is hard.... where do you stop with giving? I give to charities that I know do good and they are charities I believe in.

It's like you say craig it's all about how each of us feel. I think ken had a valid opinion but that's what it was an opinion. I have to be honest I sometimes feel guilty. Like yourself craig I also donate to charity probably not much different to yourself but do i feel that I do or give enough then I would defo say I don't think I do give or do enough. We all work hard for what we have and shouldn't feel guilty about things happening overseas. Tbh the world at our doorstep is in a pretty bad state too, not quite on the scale of haiti. It's a difficult discussion.

Bazthemod
20th January 2010, 12:19 AM
I never give to charity, suppose that makes me a bad person lol but on the rare occasion i have a bit of spare cash i spend it on myself or treating friends n family. We do a lot of daft things at work though to raise funds through the company.

KenL
20th January 2010, 09:04 AM
Good debate guys.

I know we all donate in many different ways. It just seems weird that we have a government here making cash from us through the DVLA for what really is costing them nothing.

I would much prefer to see the US system in action over here. I had a private plate in Hawaii "KL 123", cost no extra than a stock one apart from $25 to pay for the convicts who make them!

zimbo
20th January 2010, 10:20 AM
I would much prefer to see the US system in action over here. I had a private plate in Hawaii "KL 123", cost no extra than a stock one apart from $25 to pay for the convicts who make them!

So how does the US system work Ken? sounds not bad from the example you posted above....

N16SHP
20th January 2010, 11:20 AM
I don't give directly to charity. I see all the adverts on TV and yes I feel really guilty, but I can't donate to every charity just because I feel guilty about every ad I see. Its just how the world is. What I do do is I run or play in charity games and raise money for local charities or the likes that way. Last year I ran for my fiancee's mum's nursery as they are so poorly funded and most of it comes out of her mum's pocket. They ended up buying a couple of new laptops for the kids to play learning games on. I prefer to donate locally as, without sounding like an ass, you can see where your money is actually going. You can see a product (physical or a service.)

GCA3N
20th January 2010, 11:57 AM
I don't give directly to charity. I see all the adverts on TV and yes I feel really guilty, but I can't donate to every charity just because I feel guilty about every ad I see. Its just how the world is. What I do do is I run or play in charity games and raise money for local charities or the likes that way. Last year I ran for my fiancee's mum's nursery as they are so poorly funded and most of it comes out of her mum's pocket. They ended up buying a couple of new laptops for the kids to play learning games on. I prefer to donate locally as, without sounding like an ass, you can see where your money is actually going. You can see a product (physical or a
service.)

Very good point about the local charity.

KenL
20th January 2010, 12:30 PM
So how does the US system work Ken? sounds not bad from the example you posted above....

You basically go into the local council office with an idea for a plate you want. They type it into the system, if it is not used you can have it, as long as it is not offensive.

In Hawaii you can have up to 6 characters, with a dash in the middle.

There were some cracking numbers.

e.g. a bright green VW Beetle with number plate FROG !
my colleague (another Scot) had OOR-4x4 and OOR-VAN for his two vehicles.

zimbo
20th January 2010, 12:47 PM
You basically go into the local council office with an idea for a plate you want. They type it into the system, if it is not used you can have it, as long as it is not offensive.

In Hawaii you can have up to 6 characters, with a dash in the middle.

There were some cracking numbers.

e.g. a bright green VW Beetle with number plate FROG !
my colleague (another Scot) had OOR-4x4 and OOR-VAN for his two vehicles.

:clap: that sounds like my cup of tea... Sounds like a MUCH BETTER way of doing things... :yes nod:

GCA3N
20th January 2010, 01:01 PM
:clap: that sounds like my cup of tea... Sounds like a MUCH BETTER way of doing things... :yes nod:

ditto. ok so next question should be , If you could have 3 characters dash 3 characters what would you choose.

i'll have to think about this.

Fartin Martin
20th January 2010, 01:16 PM
Baw-bag
Dob-ber

...think the list is endless with this one:lol:

Gismo
20th January 2010, 02:17 PM
Baw-bag
Dob-ber

...think the list is endless with this one:lol:Well, here in Escambia County Pensacola you can actually have up to 7 characters.
You can check to see what is available here (https://www6.hsmv.state.fl.us/mvcheck/platecheck/main.jsp)

And for the record BAW-BAG is available :lol:

My plate will be ALAN-NMS when i register the truck to my name :thumbs up:

Craig
20th January 2010, 02:20 PM
Cool

:clap:

Well, here in Escambia County Pensacola you can actually have up to 7 characters.
You can check to see what is available here (https://www6.hsmv.state.fl.us/mvcheck/platecheck/main.jsp)

zimbo
20th January 2010, 02:31 PM
Baw-bag
:lol:

:laugh:

Well, here in Escambia County Pensacola you can actually have up to 7 characters.

:thumbs up: nice one boss. (lucky git...):p

Is Julie going to get ME-JULIE

Gismo
20th January 2010, 02:53 PM
Is Julie going to get ME-JULIENot available :Whistle:

GCA3N
20th January 2010, 03:24 PM
How great is that plate system.

RFC No 1 : available
R56 JCW: available
JOCK MAN: available
F%CK USA: available. that should get you some looks.
I AM GAY: available. again could be a top gear incident.

camjay
20th January 2010, 05:46 PM
How great is that plate system.

RFC No 1 : available

Yeah. But seriously, who would want to drive around with that on their car! :p:moonie:

GCA3N
20th January 2010, 05:54 PM
Yeah. But seriously, who would want to drive around with that on their car! :p:moonie:

:moonie::lol:

zimbo
21st January 2010, 11:25 AM
Not available :Whistle:

What about ME-JULZ that is available... :thumbs up: :yes nod:

Gismo
21st January 2010, 01:35 PM
What about ME-JULZ that is available... :thumbs up: :yes nod:Hmm................:lol:

zimbo
21st January 2010, 02:13 PM
Hmm................:lol:

Dont forget my commision for the recommendation... :lol:

Fartin Martin
21st January 2010, 05:10 PM
I AM GAY: available. again could be a top gear incident.

One of theeeee funniest things ever!!!!:lol:

GCA3N
21st January 2010, 05:12 PM
One of theeeee funniest things ever!!!!:lol:

Defo one of the funniest episodes ever.

Fartin Martin
21st January 2010, 05:13 PM

YASS!!:D

why can we not do this man!!:sad:

N16SHP
21st January 2010, 06:08 PM
Defo one of the funniest episodes ever.

I just got the top gear challenges box set through the post. You got it free when you renewed your subscription by direct debit to TG Mag!

GCA3N
21st January 2010, 07:47 PM
I just got the top gear challenges box set through the post. You got it free when you renewed your subscription by direct debit to TG Mag!

Nice one, loads of chuckles then.