PDA

View Full Version : Mini @ Detroit Motor Show

Bazthemod
13th January 2010, 10:35 PM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2759/4266656496_ef96a94acc_b.jpg

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gotpKOf_k_8&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gotpKOf_k_8&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Official Release: Good afternoon everyone and welcome to MINI. This is the all-electric MINI E, with zero emissions. With over 600 MINI E, we have the largest fleet of electric cars involved in an international pilot project. The project has been running for just over six months now in the US and Germany and 40 MINI E hit the streets of UK at the end of last year. The MINI E is also scheduled to be in France at some stage later in 2010. The learnings from the project will provide us with valuable information which will flow into the development of our Megacity Vehicle and other electric vehicles at the BMW Group. So, what have some of our MINI E drivers been saying here in the US? They feel that:

The range is appropriate for urban life.
The charging time is acceptable.
And last but certainly not least, “it is really fun to drive the MINI E!”

With the MINI E, technology meets sustainability. And I’m pleased to announce today that the BMW Group has decided to extend the lease programme for the MINI E here in the United States. This is our reaction to the popular demand by our test drivers around the country. So, after the milestone 50th year at MINI, how do things look? MINI certainly held its own in last year’s very challenging business year. Last year 216,538 MINIs were sold worldwide and 45,225 in the US. Worldwide, MINI’s sales were down by 6.8 percent, which is an impressive result, considering the challenges of last year. In the US, sales were down roughly 16.4 percent compared to 2008, but in a segment which was down by well over 40 percent. Therefore we are quite pleased with MINI’s performance in a very challenging year. It was the second best year since the launch of the brand in 2002 here in the US. And the US remains the largest single MINI market worldwide and the dealer network has grown to 90 dealers across the US. To prepare for the future growth of MINI we are committed to expanding the dealer network in the US. We’ll be adding a total of around 17 new dealerships in the next years and we expect to already well exceed 100 in 2010. By introducing new products and opening up new segments MINI stays at the leading edge of the premium small car segment. As you know, we began with the hardtop when we re-launched MINI in 2001. With this car, we created the premium small car segment and began a new success story for MINI. Since then we’ve sold around 1.7 million vehicles, we’ve added the Convertible and Clubman and we’ve already given you a glimpse of how some future members of the MINI family will look. The MINI portfolio will double in the next two years. Last September in Frankfurt we revealed two concept vehicles, the MINI Coupé and MINI Roadster, both of which we’ve confirmed for production in Oxford. And I’m really looking forward to having these two cars join the MINI family and I’m sure that they’re going to be very appealing to US customers. Another new addition which I’m really excited about is what we call the MINI Crossover – which will be available in Europe later this year and in the US in early 2011. The Crossover will be the first MINI which has all-wheel-drive, four doors, four full-size seats and measures around four metres long. You’ll be hearing a lot more about this car next month, so stay tuned. Today, MINI would like to once again demonstrate its potential for further concepts. We’ll now provide you with an exciting look at what the future could hold for MINI. MINI is always open for the unexpected – and that’s why we’ve brought the summer to wintry Detroit! I’m proud to present the MINI Beachcomber Concept. The inspiration for the MINI Beachcomber Concept is clearly born from the MINI Crossover, combined with the vision of a radically open body concept. The result is a MINI that’s tough, fearless and ready for any open air adventure. It provides a highly emotional driving experience where you are in close contact with your surroundings, whether it’s cruising through town, enjoying rough tracks in the mountains, or breezing along the beach. It offers extreme freedom in driving. Through its robust and versatile character, the MINI Beachcomber Concept also captures the spirit of the Mini Moke, which stood for adventurous motoring back in the sixties. The rugged appearance and the minimal body components and interior clearly reflect elements of the Mini Moke. This is further accentuated by the overall design language, such as the characteristic radiator grille. This concept has a new innovative all-wheel drive system, ALL4, as well as an elevated seating position. The MINI Beachcomber Concept can be driven without doors, a conventional roof and all other body elements which might limit the intensity of the open driving experience. This car retains its special character in all road and weather conditions. In the event of bad weather, drivers can quickly use the soft roof and lightweight doors. And with this car, MINI once again emphasizes the brand’s typical driving fun, lifestyle and premium quality. Thank you for joining us today.

Gismo
13th January 2010, 10:56 PM
That is absolutely hideous :eek:

Scottie
13th January 2010, 10:59 PM
looks totally cool

Craig
13th January 2010, 11:10 PM
gotta love MINI's optimism about selling this. Like a new age Moke... I'm with Fi. Looks :cool: :clap:

Sheilz
13th January 2010, 11:17 PM
That is absolutely hideous :eek:

:yes nod:

Bazthemod
13th January 2010, 11:17 PM
Pretty funky, gives a few clues to the styling of the R60 too

AndyP & Lenore
13th January 2010, 11:43 PM
Looks :cool::cool::cool:

But completely useless for the UK.:frown:

A.

Stewart
13th January 2010, 11:54 PM
How does that pass European safety laws for side impact?
And I hope we don’t get those main headlights that look non Mini on the standard cars.

Bazthemod
14th January 2010, 12:07 AM
How does that pass European safety laws for side impact?

Keyword - Concept lol I would imagine the production car would require roll cage of some sort.

After reading more i found this:

Measuring four metres long, MINI says the Beachcomber offers an ideal pairing of unique style and practicality for the brand's "modern, lifestyle-oriented" buyers. [21] (http://www.themotorreport.com.au/47530/mini-beachcomber-concept-revealed-previews-upcoming-crossover-suv/) MINI's claim that it's 'a brand-new type of vehicle' is perhaps pushing it a bit (think 1960s Mini Moke, for a start), but it's certainly a big leap away from what the brand currently offers. [29] (http://www.classicdriver.com/uk/magazine/3300.asp?id=14432) The Mini Moke influences the whole vehicle, which is why we took the doors and B-pillar out and inserted a side-impact bar at hip level

Stewart
14th January 2010, 12:39 AM
A right hip level, got it but i hope the fact that they have put the impact bar at hip level is not lost on the fact that they did it at all and followed safety Law. This thing is more than a Concept for BMW me thinks.

Lets forget Mini Roots and follow the Dollar and the American Market.:sad:

Bazthemod
14th January 2010, 12:58 AM
Not really forgetting Mini's roots... it's based on the Mini Moke concept from the 60's

http://blogs.theage.com.au/lifestyle/allmenareliars/86MiniMoke.jpg

N16SHP
14th January 2010, 10:46 AM
I hate it. Looks pretty horrid!

Stewart
14th January 2010, 10:51 AM
Yeah I know what is based on, remember it well ,my mate always fancied building one but thankfully he kept the Mini Van as it was and we basically abused the wee fellow and chucked everything in it we could (remember those days you could have six in the back). You could order the shell off a company and it was just the Mini running gear after that and my mate could strip Mini’s back then and rebuild them blindfolded and still has an original Mini Cooper Engine and most of the parts in his garage. Just don’t get him started on the BMW Model

Surprised they have not done the Mini Van I have fond memories of it

Crombers
15th January 2010, 09:39 AM
Just not my cuppa T :frown:

N16SHP
15th January 2010, 10:51 AM
I've looked at it again, and decided why I don't like it. I don't like the thought of Mini becoming another fake offroader. I love the Mini hatch, Clubman, and the designs for the new coupe, but I like Mini being a two or 3 car family, I don't like the thought of it expanding and becoming "general".

zimbo
15th January 2010, 11:26 AM
Never mind that ugly thing MINI, seeing as how you are 'following mini roots' when are we going to see a concept of a MINI Van or a MINI Pick-up??? :D then I'll be interested...

Stewart
16th January 2010, 07:27 PM
BRITAIN'S favourite little car is getting a springtime makeover with MINI launching a range of new engines and personal options as well as a new convertible.
The MINI One convertible will be priced from £14,995 when it goes on sale in March at the same time as a new 1.6-litre petrol engine is introduced across the MINI range.
Replacing a 1.4-litre engine the new unit is said to be more economical and in the entry level MINI First gives average fuel consumption of 52.3mpg with CO2 emissions of 127g/km. Top speed is 109 mph while the 0-62 mph acceleration takes 13.2 seconds.
The MINI One Convertible will have the same 1.6 litre engine of the Hatch and Clubman MINIS and accelerates from 0-62 mph in 11.3 seconds with a top speed of 112 mph. Fuel efficiency and CO2 emissions are class leading for convertibles at 49.6 mpg average and 133 g/km respectively.
All MINI engines have been cleaned up resulting in CO2 emissions on the Cooper S models falling by 13g/km to 136.
In addition to the mechanical improvements a new custom package featuring translucent 'rainbow' paint is being introduced in April.
Costs for the rainbow finish are still to be announced but the overall price range is unaltered at £10,950 for the MINI First to £23,475 for the Cooper Convertible.

Mmmmmmmmmm not to sure about that!
http://www.roadrecord.co.uk/imageclip/8f30dd7b-dee9-491b-96ab-9cff016aa02b/image.png

N16SHP
16th January 2010, 07:37 PM
I'd have the rainbow paint if I won the lottery, just to stick in the entrance way to my new mansion cos its looks cool. I'd never own one and drive it! Besides, whenever you get pearlesent paint, if you get a tiny scratch on one panel, you have to re-spray the whole panel. Arsed if you do that in the middle of the door lol!

Craig
16th January 2010, 08:14 PM
The rainbow paint has been around for years. You can get it as a special order with any car. There are a few cars in Stirling with the "dreamline" paint job (as they used to call it). :clap:

N16SHP
16th January 2010, 09:18 PM
I seen a dragon coloured one on Mini Cherished at Scott Hall in Leeds last year!

illegalhunter
16th January 2010, 09:36 PM
its a stinker