PDA

View Full Version : How stupid is this (gritting roads)

Scottie
13th January 2010, 07:02 PM
Was reading through my paper today (the scotsman) :blush:

Anyway there was a article about tractor drivers gritting roads, if they are gritting roads (any roads) to help out the local council they can not use Red Diesel/Tractor Diesel/Gas Oil call it what you want they have to use road fuel. If they get caught gritting the roads with red diesel in their tank then they could get charged. The thing is though the dye from the tractor diesel will still be present even if they have filled with road fuel. Now that's just a plain stupid rule imho.

stoney
13th January 2010, 07:29 PM
i would think they will be given a blind eye to it then again its the cops we are talkin about but it is toataly stupid but rules are rules and all that crap

euan
13th January 2010, 07:29 PM
Is this for tax reasons or something?

It's completely daft either way!

Livi
13th January 2010, 07:38 PM
Is this for tax reasons or something?

It's completely daft either way!

i was aware that they are allowed to use it on roads as they pay there own tax (like self employed etc)

but seriously, you would think that the council would allow this as they are helping them out

Craig
13th January 2010, 07:51 PM
Yeah Fi, your right. There is traces left in the tanks for AGES after the person has used red diesel, so they would have no real way to prove that the vehicle was running on normal diesel without taking a sample (concentration levels etc)

but you have to say, isn't public safety worth more than a few tax dollars and also lesser claims due to people not falling on the ice etc.. :argh:

N16SHP
13th January 2010, 10:26 PM
Ha ha, was that from Aberdeenshire CC by any chance, their properly crazy sometimes!