PDA

View Full Version : Winter!!

Scottie
11th January 2010, 10:32 PM
Winter!
DIARY.

'Our First Winter'

DEC. 20TH
It's starting to snow. The first of the season and the first we've seen for years. The wife & I took our hot toddies and sat on the porch watching the fluffy soft flakes drift gently down, clinging to the trees and covering the ground. It's so beautiful & peaceful.

DEC. 24th
Woke to a lovely blanket of crystal white glistening snow covering as far as the eye could see. What a fantastic sight everything covered with a beautiful white mantel. I shovelled snow for the first time ever and loved it! I did both our driveway & the pavement.
Later that day a snowplough came along & accidently covered up our driveway with compacted snow from the street. The driver smiled & waved. I waved back & shovelled it away again. The children next door built a snowman with coal for eyes & a carrot for a nose and had a snowball fight - a couple just missed me & hit the car so I threw a couple back & joined in the fun.

DEC. 26th
It snowed an additional 5 inches last night and the temp. dropped to around minus 8 degrees. Several branches on our trees & bushes snapped due to the weight of the snow. I shovelled our drive again. Shortly afterwards the snowplough came by & did his trick again! Much of the snow is now brownish/grey.

JAN. 1st
Warmed up enough during the day to create some slush, which soon became ice when the temp. dropped again. Bought snow tyres for both our cars. Fell on my arse in the driveway. Went to physio but nothing was broken.

JAN. 5th
Still cold. Sold the wife's car & bought her a 4X4 to get her to work. She slid into a wall & did considerable damage to right wing. Had another 8 inches of white ****e last night. Both vehicles are covered in salt & iced up slush. That b*stard snowplough came by twice today. Where's that bloody shovel?

JAN.9th
More f***ing snow. Not a tree or bush on our property that hasn't been damaged. Power was off most of the night. Tried to keep from freezing to death with candles & a paraffin heater that tipped over & nearly torched the house. I managed to put the flames out but suffered 2nd degree burns on my hands. Lost my eyebows & eyelashes. Car hit a f***ing deer on the way to casualty & was written off!

JAN. 13th
F***ing b*stard white ****e just keeps on coming down. Have to put on every article of clothing just to go to the post box. The little ****s next door ambushed me with snowballs on the way back. I'll shove that carrot so far up the little pricks arses; it'll take a good surgeon hours to find it. If I ever catch that arsehole that drives that snowplough I'll chew open his chest & rip out his heart with my teeth. I think the b*stard hides round the corner & waits for me to finish shovelling & then he accelerates down the street like Michael f***ing Schumacher & buries the f***ing drive again.

JAN. 17th
16 more sodding inches of f***ing snow & f***ing ice & f***ing sleet & God knows what other white ****e fell last night. I am in court in 3 months time for assaulting the snowplough driver with an ice pick. Can't move my f***ing toes. Haven't seen the sun for 5 weeks. Minus 20 & more b*stard snow is forecast.

Regards

The Dogfather
11th January 2010, 10:40 PM
About right, the thaw might be short lived with more cold next week, so you'll be able to add to that :D

Scottie
11th January 2010, 10:52 PM
Never mind that we have the roads to look forward to now that will be full of pot holes from the frost

The Dogfather
11th January 2010, 10:59 PM
Not bothered I'm running 16s ;)

Craig
11th January 2010, 11:10 PM
so did Andy send you that email aswell :lol:

the snow is annoying me now....:rolleyes:

Gismo
12th January 2010, 08:02 AM
so did Andy send you that email aswell :lol:

the snow is annoying me now....:rolleyes:I'm actually looking forward to seeing it, had absolutely nothing in Baku, mildest winter we've had since i've been working here

Crombers
12th January 2010, 09:46 AM
Effin stuff has been around that long I've forgotten that I own a MINI !!!!

GCA3N
12th January 2010, 12:00 PM
Effin stuff has been around that long I've forgotten that I own a MINI !!!!

that'll be the old age!

zimbo
12th January 2010, 01:36 PM
There are only two words needed when describing winter. "...WINTER SUCKS..."

Delboy
12th January 2010, 04:27 PM
Never mind that we have the roads to look forward to now that will be full of pot holes from the frost

Yes, I really noticed this today now that most of the snow and ice has melted from the roads in Glasgow - new pot holes everywhere and old one even worse than before :frown: .

N16SHP
12th January 2010, 05:16 PM
Im amazed at Aberdeen CC, what can only be described as two crators that I have to carefully navigate on my way to work at night have actually been properly filled in. None of that stone rubbish, properly filled...amazing!

Fartin Martin
12th January 2010, 05:55 PM
Im amazed at Aberdeen CC, what can only be described as two crators that I have to carefully navigate on my way to work at night have actually been properly filled in. None of that stone rubbish, properly filled...amazing!

Luck You!!..Glasgow City Council don't give a F**K!!!..really annoys me..im concentrating more on avoiding the craters than actual driving!!

I swear last night, i was driving down in tradeston in glasgow, and was saying my prayers as i was coming up a MASSIVE hole that my car Just managed to drive over..I thought i was a gonner!!

Sheilz
12th January 2010, 07:51 PM

Wow! Where? there's a beut of a trench on Gt Northern Road and notice the fairly big ones at top end of Union Ter and along front of Theatre are opening up again. Road heading past the Grammar School from the Denburn direction has also got a couple of nasty surprises for the unwary motorist. Best ones are in the residential areas funnily enough the West end being worse than some of the housing estates.
News and papers have been full of stories of injuries from falling on ice. Having mentally congratulated myself for not being one of the unlucky ones I went and fell down the stairs in WH Smiths tonight and sprained my ankle. LOL dont know what was worse pain from the injury or the humiliation of being refered to as 'old lady' by a wee toot in her buggy asking her mum if I was ok.
Helped me laugh on the long hobble back to the car. Looks like tomorrow's going to be spent working from the sofa.

GCA3N
12th January 2010, 07:56 PM
sorry I laughed when I read this, but hope you are feeling ok, lucky it wasn't any worse.

Forbes
12th January 2010, 07:58 PM
There are some chunkers out the Kingswells Westhill way. I reckon you could park your car in some of them. The suspension has taken some amount of abuse as they are everywhere and you can't avoid some

Forbes
12th January 2010, 08:00 PM
It will last a week. They did that to one on the Kingswells/Westhill dual carriageway last thursday, by yesterday it was back to being a huge pothole. Imagine hitting it at 70mph not knowing it is there

GCA3N
12th January 2010, 08:03 PM
There are some chunkers out the Kingswells Westhill way. I reckon you could park your car in some of them. The suspension has taken some amount of abuse as they are everywhere and you can't avoid some

It will last a week. They did that to one on the Kingswells/Westhill dual carriageway last thursday, by yesterday it was back to being a huge pothole. Imagine hitting it at 70mph not knowing it is there

Lets be honest as well Ben you've not exactly got much clearance to play with, and you think I should mine lowered too.

GCA3N
12th January 2010, 08:03 PM
By the way ben hows my motor looking any worse mate?

Sheilz
12th January 2010, 08:53 PM
sorry I laughed when I read this, but hope you are feeling ok, lucky it wasn't any worse.

Thanks. I'm stull chuckling at the look of concern on wee girl's face. LOL Out the mouth of babes!

Stewart
13th January 2010, 12:03 AM
Luck You!!..Glasgow City Council don't give a F**K!!!..really annoys me..im concentrating more on avoiding the craters than actual driving!!

I swear last night, i was driving down in tradeston in glasgow, and was saying my prayers as i was coming up a MASSIVE hole that my car Just managed to drive over..I thought i was a gonner!!

That’s Glasgow driving right down to a tee, You have to have a mental map of the potholes in your head. I actually have to miss a few roads now as there just no way you can miss the holes on them.

You pull in and your mad as your car has just hit one more or less these days. Dangerous thing I’m looking for them when I should be looking for kids running out or other cars that should not be were they are.

AndyP & Lenore
13th January 2010, 12:34 AM
Fi, that is so close to the truth on our street, it's almost like I wrote it.:thumbs up:

A.:D