PDA

View Full Version : Computer problems.....

Big Gordy
10th January 2010, 05:10 PM
OK all you computer buffs out there can you help me.....??
The free McAfee that's on my laptop ran out yesterday so I loaded up the free AVG one that people on here said was good. It loaded up OK:thumbs up: I then went ahead and removed all traces of McAfee, switched it off and went to bed. Today I cant get the bloody PC to go past about 5 comands before it hangs itself:argh: Won't even stay up long enough for me to run the virus scan program:ragin: HELP....!!! What do I do..?? Do I have to wipe the whole thing and re-install Vista again to get it to work..?? I'm close to lobbing it out into the snow:argh: (I'm typing this on the old laptop:rolleyes:)

Stewart
10th January 2010, 05:31 PM
Feel your pain mate, Switched my Pc off and put it back on the next Morning (2nd Jan) and Windows System file was corrupt so it was just sitting there telling me “Your Windows is fecked” Worse still I resigned myself to reinstall XP as my pictures and Music was on my Partitioned D drive any way so it was just My System partition.

Just watch you don’t do what I did and batter your why through the install like a bear with tooth ache, I was that pissed I removed my D drive by not reading the screen. Had to get a program to recover it. Luckily it worked and I got everything back.

Still missing programs and the odd bit of Music.

Not to sure about Vista but Windows used to have “Last known Good windows Configuration” in the system recovery. At least you have another PC so hit the net and try and see if others have had the same problem.

Do you have partioned Drives? if so move your stuff to it.

Big Gordy
10th January 2010, 05:39 PM
I'll try what you've suggested...thanks:thumbs up:
I think I've got partitioned drives:confused: the biggest pain in the ass is that it will only let me click about 5 times and then it hangs:ragin: I'll see if I can get into the recovery bit:thumbs up:

Stewart
10th January 2010, 05:59 PM
Now this is off the top of my head. There is usually a Windows safe Mode that you can load up, look up Safe Mode Vista and it should get you back up and running in a stripped down System. It should let you move you stuff off the C drive you want to keep etc.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/What-to-do-if-Windows-wont-start-correctly

Do one of the following:
If your computer has a single operating system installed, press and hold the F8 key as your computer restarts. You need to press F8 before the Windows logo appears. If the Windows logo appears, you will need to try again by waiting until the Windows logon prompt appears, and then shutting down and restarting your computer.

If your computer has more than one operating system, use the arrow keys to highlight the operating system you want to start, and then press F8.

On the Advanced Boot Options screen, use the arrow keys to highlight Last Known Good Configuration, and then press ENTER.
If your computer has more than one operating system installed, use the arrow keys to highlight the operating system that you want to start by using Last Known Good Configuration, and then press ENTER. Windows will then resume starting normally.

Big Gordy
10th January 2010, 06:02 PM
Great minds think alike:thumbs up: I'm trying that as we speak but even its telling me to wait:argh: Correction its hung in there too:frown:

Stewart
10th January 2010, 06:08 PM
Safe Mode or last Known ?

Gismo
10th January 2010, 06:16 PM
By 5 clicks what do you mean? are you seeing command prompts?
Is the safe mode not working?

Do you have everything backed up? if so it's often quicker to reinstall, if not, can you remove the hard drive and connect it to another pc as a slave and get your files that way and then reinstall.

How did you remove McAfee, simply removing folders?? if so sounds like the boot is looking for it in the registry or something, whenever removing prgrammes always use the uninstall feature in the control panel, i know that's a bit late now

Big Gordy
10th January 2010, 06:25 PM
Safe Mode or last Known ?
It hung in safe mode.

Big Gordy
10th January 2010, 06:35 PM
By 5 clicks what do you mean? are you seeing command prompts?
Is the safe mode not working?

It only lets me click about 5 commands with the mouse and then hangs:frown:

Do you have everything backed up? if so it's often quicker to reinstall, if not, can you remove the hard drive and connect it to another pc as a slave and get your files that way and then reinstall.

No to most of the above......but it's not a big problem as I've only just got it and it's not got much on it:rolleyes:

How did you remove McAfee, simply removing folders?? if so sounds like the boot is looking for it in the registry or something, whenever removing prgrammes always use the uninstall feature in the control panel, i know that's a bit late now

I ALWAYS use the uninstall feature:hand:
My pals over looking at it just now and he thinks I might have to phone Dell as it seems to be crashing everywhere:thud:

Stewart
10th January 2010, 06:39 PM
I was going to say you should rule out your Uninstall as that would not let safe mode boot up and your uninstall I'm sure would not come into it. Last time i had My computer fall down lasting 5 minutes was when it was split new and the Ram was faulty, one of the sticks was fudged. New stick and all was well.

Good luck with it.

Gismo
10th January 2010, 06:41 PM
The guy at Dell will tell you to use the recovery feature, you do have a disk? sadly it'll wipe your system and start again if it's Vista, in XP you could delete win.com and reinstall over the exisiting one.

Good luck, especially if it's a pay telephone line you got

Scottie
10th January 2010, 07:22 PM
OK all you computer buffs out there can you help me.....??
so I loaded up the free AVG one that people on here said was good. laptop:rolleyes:)

there is your problem don't listen to what folk say on here :p:hand: if you only have said what you were doing I have Kapersky still with 1 licence on it you could have used.:frown::frown:

Big Gordy
10th January 2010, 07:34 PM
if you only have said what you were doing I have Kapersky still with 1 licence on it you could have used.:frown::frown:

I did think about phoning you to ask about it but remembered you never answer your mobile:ragin:so I thought I'd just post on here:p

Did you register it with Dell when your ma bought it..??? Doesn't tell me when I go online..??
Was a bit surprised when it said McAfee was about to run out as I thought it would come with a years subscription..??
You never mentioned having a spare licence:frown:

Big Gordy
10th January 2010, 07:46 PM
I did think about phoning you to ask about it but remembered you never answer your mobile:ragin:so I thought I'd just post on here:p

Oooop:blush: forgot I'vre got your home number haven't I....doh:argh:

Scottie
10th January 2010, 08:16 PM

Did you register it with Dell when your ma bought it..??? Doesn't tell me when I go online..??
Was a bit surprised when it said McAfee was about to run out as I thought it would come with a years subscription..??
You never mentioned having a spare licence:frown:

no idea about how long the macafee was for as I loaded kapersky straight away. I'd need to find the disc it is about the house somewhere. Why didn't you just go to PC World and buy a anti virus then you wouldn't have had any problems.

AndyP & Lenore
10th January 2010, 11:22 PM
no idea about how long the macafee was for as I loaded kapersky straight away. I'd need to find the disc it is about the house somewhere. Why didn't you just go to PC World and buy a anti virus then you wouldn't have had any problems.

Nothing wrong with AVG free:thumbs up:. I have it on the laptop as it's really just used for surfing and simple non essential stuff. On my PC upstairs I have full blown AVG internet protection as that has GB's of data I really don't want to loose.

I think the problem may have happened because you installed AVG, THEN uninstalled McAfee. If you'd uninstalled McAfee, then installed AVG you may not have this problem. PC's really don't like two AV programs running at the same time. However, I would have thought AVG would have given you a "now waaaaaaait a minute" message when you tried to install.

Doesn't help you fix the problem now though. Sorry.:frown:

A.:D

Big Gordy
11th January 2010, 09:46 AM
Why didn't you just go to PC World and buy a anti virus then you wouldn't have had any problems.
Hey remember I'm one of the guys swelling the ranks of the unemployed at the moment:frown:

Found what the problem was late last night.....a section of the hard drive has developed a dodgy section so a full reinstall is required me thinks:yawn: So I know what I'm doing today then:rolleyes:

Big Gordy
11th January 2010, 09:49 AM
I think the problem may have happened because you installed AVG, THEN uninstalled McAfee. If you'd uninstalled McAfee, then installed AVG you may not have this problem. PC's really don't like two AV programs running at the same time. However, I would have thought AVG would have given you a "now waaaaaaait a minute" message when you tried to install.

I only did it that way because I thought it would be better having some protection rather than none at all:rolleyes:
But as I've said in above post I think it's been a problem with a section of the hard drive:argh:

AndyP & Lenore
11th January 2010, 11:09 AM
I only did it that way because I thought it would be better having some protection rather than none at all:rolleyes:
But as I've said in above post I think it's been a problem with a section of the hard drive:argh:

Gordy, if that's the case have you tried running CHKDSK/F from a command prompt? That may well fix a hard drive error. I've used it a couple of times and it's saved me having to wipe my drive and loose my data. Once you run it, if it fixes any errors I'd suggest you get a new drive though as there's obviously a problem.

Also, if it IS a hard drive fault error I doubt a wipe and reinstall will fix it. Howver, no expert on that.

A.

Stewart
11th January 2010, 12:21 PM
http://ultimatebootcd.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2131

Not downloaded this myself yet but it has all the tools on one handy CD, but your need to download it and burn it.