PDA

View Full Version : Bluray Player...

Burple
8th January 2010, 11:52 AM
Dunno if this'll be of any interest to anybody out there, but it you're looking for a nice cheap BluRay player to start you off, or the bedroom / Caravan or whatever, you should probably check this out... (http://hmv.com/hmvweb/displayProductDetails.do?ctx=4731;16;-1;-1;-1&sku=237140&WT.ac=TECH_BLURAYPLAYERS-PBODY-MA_BLURAYPLAYERS_TITLES-237140)

From the Spec list:

Limit BD-M100 Blu-ray player
The BD-M100 provides great play-back and stunning visuals for an entry level Blu-Ray player. Equipped with high-specs, and great output/inputs, the BD-M100 player is perfect for fist time users who want to experience Blu-Ray technology. Installed with BD Live ready, and Ethernet Connection -access extra features on selected/compatible Blu-Ray movies.

Specifications:
Blu-ray playback at content native HD resolution of 1080p/1080i/720p
BD Profile 2.0, BD Live ready
HDMI version 1.3 output
Component video output
Dolby® Digital, Dolby® Digital Plus, Dolby® True HD, DTS®-HD, BD-Java BD/DVD/MPEG4/VCD/CD/MP3/WMA/JPEG Playback
USB 2.0
2.0 audio output
Coaxial digital audio output
Ethernet Connection

THe website says they're currently £80, but they're selliong them instore for £49.99
(I just happened to have a £20 HMV giftcard for christmas, so it cost me £30!! :thumbs up:)

From what I can tell checking it out on some AV forums before I bought it, it has a pretty good spec for the price, and is apparently basically a PC BR drive in a case

This also from MoneySaving Expert:
"If brandnames don't bother you, this diminutive rebranded box from HMV's well worth a look, especially since some stores have reduced it to £49.99 in the January sale (it's £80 online)
Perhaps most exciting given the price is the fact you can make it multi-region (for both DVDs and Blu-Rays) by entering a simple key combination (it's the same as the F&H one listed here) on the remote control. You can also watch content stored on USB sticks, and compressed formats like .MKV (Matroska) and DivX are supported, making it more versatile than most branded boxes. Plus, as a Profile 2.0 player it supports all the BD-Live features.
It's not all great though; regular firmware (the onboard programming the player runs on) updates are pretty unlikely, which could become an issue down the line."

Got mine home last night, plugged it in, bunged in Transformers 2, and sat back for a couple of hours with my jaw on the deck! It also upscales DVDs - not mentioned in the blurb above - and can be unlocked for any region.
Awesome little bit of kit for pennies!
:thumbs up:

GCA3N
8th January 2010, 12:55 PM
I seen this one too, amazing buy. I have the PS3 so been watching blu ray for a while now, really is amazing, one of the reasons I have ungraded to Sky HD. One of the nice things as you mentioned was it will upscale standard DVD's too. The ps3 also does this, infact I have a multi media player that I plug into the PS3 which upscales that too. Have you go many Blu ray's yet. I have planet earth on Bluray it's amazing.

zimbo
8th January 2010, 01:57 PM
Blu-Ray is the way forward.... :D :yes nod:

Burple
8th January 2010, 02:01 PM
Only got Transformers2 and Inglorious Basterds so far :thumbs up:

But just borrowed Star Trek and Angels and Demons from my mate at work, looking forward to seing them again too!
Was looking at the Life and Planet Earth box sets too, although I've been recording life on the Virgin HD box in HD anyway :thumbs up::D

Turns out the kitty doesn't like the surround sound on Transformers :laugh::laugh:

Next off is to try the upscaling to see if it does it as well as the Xbox does :thumbs up:

Gismo
8th January 2010, 02:43 PM
I got one last Blu Ray DVD for sale if anyone is interested, Hanc0ck £5.50 deliivered