PDA

View Full Version : Driver's door won't open with the remote - frozen I guess?

Delboy
7th January 2010, 08:30 PM
I assume this problem is due to the rediculously low temperatures but it's slighty weird so I thought I'd ask if anyone else has experienced the same.

When I press the remote to unlock the doors, everything clicks and appears to unlock as normal but the driver's door button inside the car does not pop up - and the door remains locked. However, I can open the passenger door (which unlocks ok), lean across and open the driver's door manually using the inside door handle.

I tried locking both doors (while inside) with the interior locking switch - all the doors locked ok and both buttons went down but when I tried unlocking them again with the interior locking switch the same thing happened and the driver's door button remained down.

If the lock was frozen I'd have thought that the door wouldn't open at all and the button wouldn't pop up even using the inside door handle? Or am I a numptie.....? :Whistle:

Gismo
7th January 2010, 08:33 PM
Does the drivers side window drop down when you open the door manually?

KenL
7th January 2010, 09:27 PM
The physical unlocking mechanism maybe have more muscle than the activator that works with the remote.

Either that or some electromechanical part is just frozen solid.

Delboy
7th January 2010, 10:06 PM
Thanks for your replies guys :thumbs up:.

Does the drivers side window drop down when you open the door manually?

Hardly at all, although it's been like that a lot over the past two weeks. Passenger window is the same though and almost didn't move tonight when I opened it.

The physical unlocking mechanism maybe have more muscle than the activator that works with the remote.

Either that or some electromechanical part is just frozen solid.

Yeah, good point Ken but after opening manually, the remote locks the door ok and the button goes down - which suggests that there may be two activators, one for opening and one for closing?

Aw well, I guess I'll find out one way or another once the thaw eventually comes...

Stewart
7th January 2010, 10:15 PM
I remember last year thinking if the Window is frozen down the bottom and it isn’t going to move would the door open. Got my drivers door open after I put luke warm tap water on the window, it just was not going to open otherwise.

Delboy
7th January 2010, 11:00 PM
I remember last year thinking if the Window is frozen down the bottom and it isn’t going to move would the door open. Got my drivers door open after I put luke warm tap water on the window, it just was not going to open otherwise.

My door actually opens ok, just doesn't unlock from the outside! Maybe my car needs another holiday in Douglas Park :lol:

colliz
7th January 2010, 11:27 PM
just watch when you are closing your the door that the window does go down about 3mm or there will be trouble.. and sav12 what about rubbing some savlon around your rim.. sorry i mean door trim to stop your window sticking to the rubber to stop you putting water on window as they do go pop and then you will be 70 quid out of pocket and we will have to come out and put a new window in for you...

AndyP & Lenore
7th January 2010, 11:50 PM
In the past two weeks I don't think our windows have dropped when we've opened the doors to any of our cars - both MINI's and the convertible. Luckily, they all open OK - with care - and close OK.

Del, I think the chances are extremely high this is just a frozen lock actuator thingymabob. I bet if you took the car for a nice long run (not that it's safe to do that mind you), that would sort it.

A.

Delboy
8th January 2010, 12:04 AM
Thanks for the replies everyone. I'll see what happens if I get the car on a long-ish run (all my journeys have been short this week) or if the temp rises to a tropical 1 or 2 degrees!

GCA3N
8th January 2010, 07:05 AM
MInes was the same del atleast with the window not going down when it opens, think it is going to be the cold temps so you would be better leaving it till the temps go up, around mid May the way things are going.

Delboy
9th January 2010, 11:14 PM
Door working normally now :D

Stewart
9th January 2010, 11:56 PM
just watch when you are closing your the door that the window does go down about 3mm or there will be trouble.. and sav12 what about rubbing some savlon around your rim.. sorry i mean door trim to stop your window sticking to the rubber to stop you putting water on window as they do go pop and then you will be 70 quid out of pocket and we will have to come out and put a new window in for you...

Great del thats it working my car was fine today in Glasgow as it just was not as cold today.

CollZ it was cold water out the tap not out the kettle although i've seen it done.

colliz
10th January 2010, 01:53 AM
Cool mate i seen someone with there kettle out the other day and the steam was belting out of it and it was getting empted over a 3 series heated rear... oh how i had to stand and watch to see if it went bang but luck for him it did not...