PDA

View Full Version : Cyprus

AndyP & Lenore
30th December 2009, 08:29 PM
Anyone been? Where's best? Where to avoid? Any hotel recommendations? All input/advice/info appreciated.

A.

Mini Ecosse
30th December 2009, 09:09 PM
The answer to all your questions is NO :thud:
Never been to Cyprus

Hope you find all this advice useful :bigwave:

Craig
30th December 2009, 09:45 PM
been to Cyprus a few times :cool:

avoid Ayia Napa - you ain't 18 and would stick out like a sore thumb :lol:

We went to Protaras and it was really nice - great beach.

My parents have been to Paphos (as has my next door neighbour) and they all loved it. :thumbs up:

Not sure on hotels, but give me a couple of days and I'll have some more info for you. Bear in mind that it is MEGA hot in the summer (40+ degrees ) so depends when you were thinking. ;) Also the good thing is nearly everyone talks english (its their second language)

also, are you talking the greek or turkish part?

AndyP & Lenore
30th December 2009, 10:50 PM
Cheers craig. It wouldbe the Greek bit. 40c is not a big worry as we love the hot hot hot weather in USA. And we're thinking of September so unlikely to be 40 then. But the type of heat is more of a worry. Lenore got prickly heat when we went to Tunisia about 15 years ago. Since then we've hollyday'd in the uk (caravan) or USA. Never gets prickly heat in the US but still gets it in the uk in very hot weather. So we're a tad worried the humidity of Europe is what goes for her.

Anyway. If you can find out any info on hotels I'd appreciate it.

Cheers.

A. :D

Gismo
30th December 2009, 10:56 PM
I went to Aiya Nappa when the kids were younger, we went in October, stayed on the outskirts of the city to avoid the party animals and had a great time.
About a 20 minute walk into the centre, very pleasant in the evenings and cause the real partying doesn't start until after midnight it was a great atmosphere with all the families out before midnight with good entertainment.
We found the heat excellent, peaked from 12 to 2pm and i certainly couldn't lie in it, but the real sunbathers had no problems.

I'd go back in a minute.
If you like a waterpark then Aiya Nappa is closest to it, Pahos is good too.
Try to stay away from limassol, it's the main city and is very much like that, a bustling busy city full of workers

AndyP & Lenore
30th December 2009, 11:05 PM
Cool. Cheers Alan.

A. :D

Knox18
31st December 2009, 12:11 AM
cyprus is awesome!

if you want to get wasted every night go to napa :)

if you want relaxing? fig tree bay or any of the bays down the east coast, famagusta viewing point is a must see! nicosia is also a place to visit! as is the mountain safari through all the shanty towns.

my parents had a flat in larnaca, its ok, any of the beach hotels are decent enough

Limasoll is also good! my dad owned a bar there ages ago.

never been to paphos! heard its good though!

i havent been in around 4 years, ive heard since the swap to euro's its became really expensive

my pennies worth :)

AndyP & Lenore
31st December 2009, 12:40 AM
Cheers Chris.

Certainly won't be going out there to "get wasted" every night as Lenore doesn't drink and I hardly drink. All noted though, many thanks.

A.

Gismo
31st December 2009, 12:46 AM
Cheers Chris.

Certainly won't be going out there to "get wasted" every night as Lenore doesn't drinkShe married you sober :rolleyes: :laugh:

AndyP & Lenore
31st December 2009, 01:22 AM
She married you sober :rolleyes: :laugh:

Yeah! I hear Me Julie was paralytic on your wedding day.:moonie: Just as well, I guess.:p

A.;)

dellie
31st December 2009, 10:31 AM
I've been to Paphos twice and loved it, there is so much to see and do.

I'm not a big clubbing fan and the pubs on what is classed as the paphos strip is brilliant, first time i went for a friends wedding and her hen night was brilliant, would def do it again!!!

We stayed at the Avanti Hotel, 3*, it's not the poshest of hotels but the rooms were clean, the food was nice and the evening entertainment was okay, brilliant if you have children!

leighj
1st January 2010, 06:47 PM
I've been to Cyprus once, was my first holiday abroad to my mum and dads friends wedding, i was wee so cant remember loads, but my mum and dad go out often to visit their friends. They stay in Paphos and really like it

euan
12th January 2010, 03:03 PM
We stayed in Protaras, which is a nice, family friendly type place but wasn't madly overrun with kids. Decent beaches, food was mostly ok (the italian was absolute crap), but there are a couple of decent tavernas, Nicolas being our favourite of the time we were there. Mountains are well worth a trip up to, if for no other reason than to get some cooler air. We stayed in a hotel but we had our own apartment in it. I'd not recommend it, though no idea which one it was.

What I would say though - we much preferred Crete to Cyprus. Food was better for a start, felt less "touristy" even if in reality it was just as much. We stayed in Plaka, just outside Almyrida, it was really nice. Rented a 3 bed house with private pool and gardens, BBQ etc, great views, fully equipped kitchen and it was the same money. Since then, we've always gone this route for our holidays.