PDA

View Full Version : Rattle/Knocking Noise from Rear End!

symo29
30th December 2009, 02:01 PM
I have a Mini Cooper D 08 Plate, and I am finding at low speeds a sort of knocking/ Rattle noise from the rear of the car.

I have made sure there is nothing in the boot or back seats and have clicked in the seatbelts but am not sure where its coming from. The exhaust seems tight too, has anyone got any ideas? Or has anyone got the same issue?

Thanks
Simon

AndyP & Lenore
30th December 2009, 02:12 PM
I have a Mini Cooper D 08 Plate, and I am finding at low speeds a sort of knocking/ Rattle noise from the rear of the car.

I have made sure there is nothing in the boot or back seats and have clicked in the seatbelts but am not sure where its coming from. The exhaust seems tight too, has anyone got any ideas? Or has anyone got the same issue?

Thanks
Simon

We have the same noise from our R56 S. We have had car into dealer 5 times for this noise and they have no idea what it is, they have said its just too intermittent to find the fault.

ELFMAN
30th December 2009, 02:18 PM
I had this on my '08 S when new in March - a sort of light 'knocking' sound. If I remember correctly, pretty certain it turned out to be the rear Anti-Roll Bar bushes. My dealer replaced them and it's been fine since. Worth getting your dealer to check these.

Gismo
30th December 2009, 02:29 PM
I'm with the Elfman, rear anti roll bar bushes :thumbs up: get your car into the dealer

symo29
30th December 2009, 02:29 PM
Thanks Elfman! Jealous you have a CooperS, but the CooperD does fine at the moment

AndyP & Lenore
30th December 2009, 04:57 PM
I had this on my '08 S when new in March - a sort of light 'knocking' sound. If I remember correctly, pretty certain it turned out to be the rear Anti-Roll Bar bushes. My dealer replaced them and it's been fine since. Worth getting your dealer to check these.

Our dealer has replaced these on ours and it is still making this noise.:frown:

symo29
15th January 2010, 02:22 PM
Just had them replaced and noise all cleared up!

Gismo
15th January 2010, 02:36 PM
Poly bushes are the way to go

N16SHP
15th January 2010, 03:05 PM
I've had exactly the same problem on my 07 Cooper S, its been into JC's twice to have the same thing done "just a loose boot catch." They problem goes for about a week, then its back. It's due its first MOT this month, so while it's in, I may just ask them to look at the bushes!

Livi
15th January 2010, 07:49 PM
I've had exactly the same problem on my 07 Cooper S, its been into JC's twice to have the same thing done "just a loose boot catch." They problem goes for about a week, then its back. It's due its first MOT this month, so while it's in, I may just ask them to look at the bushes!

Neil,

We have been selling the bushes alot recently for the Gen2 MINI's. they aint that dear either TBH

KenL
15th January 2010, 09:27 PM
Neil,

We have been selling the bushes alot recently for the Gen2 MINI's. they aint that dear either TBH

Are all R56 not still under warranty?

I had this "fault" with my Jan 07 Cooper. Eastern replaced the rear anti-roll bar bushes and the problem went away, picture developing here :lol:

Never heard this on my October 08 car.

Livi
15th January 2010, 09:49 PM
Are all R56 not still under warranty?

3 years warranty, so the 07 ones (depending on month) will be starting to finish there warranty season.

I can double check tomorrow for you guys if the ARBB's are warranty.

N16SHP
16th January 2010, 11:57 AM
My car is still under warranty I think David. If not, am I not right in saying that as a cherished Mini you get a years warranty anyway. As they have yet to charge me for any work done to it!

GCA3N
16th January 2010, 12:43 PM
My car is still under warranty I think David. If not, am I not right in saying that as a cherished Mini you get a years warranty anyway. As they have yet to charge me for any work done to it!

I think your right sure they come with that as standard. Do you know if the TLC pasks came in 1,3 or 5 years, I know I have the 3 year tlc but I don't know if that is a standard or not, ?.

N16SHP
16th January 2010, 02:28 PM
The TLC was an optional extra, but you can buy a TLC XL to extend it i think. (Think being the operative word.) Mine I know didn't come with a TLC pack, but considering it had only done 11,000 when I bought it, and it was just over 2.5 years old, then I didn't really care.

KenL
16th January 2010, 04:12 PM
The TLC was an optional extra, but you can buy a TLC XL to extend it i think. (Think being the operative word.) Mine I know didn't come with a TLC pack, but considering it had only done 11,000 when I bought it, and it was just over 2.5 years old, then I didn't really care.

Are you sure about that? You may not have the wee booklet but it is VERY unusual for a MINI in the UK to be bought without this bargain. It transfers with the car if you bought it second hand.

N16SHP
16th January 2010, 05:14 PM
Yeah Ken, thats what I said to Trev at JC when I bought it. I was like it definitely doesn't have it? And he said no. I was really surprised, and I haven't found any paperwork that says it has it. Unless you can check it David at JC Tayside? When I was snooping in other cherished Mini's some of them did have the little booklet.

Watson
17th March 2010, 11:16 AM
My 56 plate had the same problem, and aye as it's 'cherished' it was coved under the extended warranty, had ma bushes tickled and all is fine! oh yeah boot latch also replaced, both parts and now locks, well done Peter Vardy (Mark Paton) your the best dealer by far !!!