PDA

View Full Version : New TV Help

Craig
28th December 2009, 06:18 PM
Ok, Mrs D has agreed that I can replace our TV in the living room. My Plasma is 42" and its only problem for me is that it only has 1 HDMI port. :smilewinkgrin: It is only about 3 years old and works perfectly, but any excuse for a new TV. :thumbs up:

so, question is, with all these sales on, what would you suggest.? I did show her the 50" plasma that Baz's mum and dad bought, but she says it's too big :frown: however I saw a really nice 47" LG for £799 which she liked. (details HERE (http://www.currys.co.uk/martprd/store/cur_page.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@0353932726.126202116 0@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccegadejellflehcflgceggdhhmdfok.0&page=Product&fm=11&sm=0&tm=4&sku=555585&category_oid=) )

the budget is about £800 but can move slightly. Must be 42 to 47 in size... Right choices ? :smilewinkgrin:

ianking
28th December 2009, 06:31 PM
Can you get a new Samsung LED for your budget? I saw them in the shop recently and they loked great.

My local has just got sky HD installed and a new Panasonic LCD HD 50 inch. The picture is excellent. I would say its better than my series 6 Samsung LCD.

Craig
28th December 2009, 06:36 PM
Just about Ian, I did look at them, also LG have an LED backlit tv for around a grand. . .

Gismo
28th December 2009, 06:38 PM
Craig, LG have a nightmare reputation for HDMI, if you go this way then get a decent HDMI cable, don't go cheap on the cable.
Not gonna advise on the TV, that's personal preference, but, instead of replacing a perfectly good TV have you considered spending the money on a surround set up, ie, amp and speakers, that way you could buy an amplifier with several HDMI inputs and connect to your TV on the single HDMI input

Gismo
28th December 2009, 06:40 PM
Personally i'd steer clear of LED at the moment, early reports are that they suffer from light distortion and make the picture blurry.
The LED backlights the screen and the centre is showing up through the screen.

Search the AV Forums if you want to go LED

Craig
28th December 2009, 06:47 PM
Craig, LG have a nightmare reputation for HDMI, if you go this way then get a decent HDMI cable, don't go cheap on the cable.
Not gonna advise on the TV, that's personal preference, but, instead of replacing a perfectly good TV have you considered spending the money on a surround set up, ie, amp and speakers, that way you could buy an amplifier with several HDMI inputs and connect to your TV on the single HDMI input

I have an av amp and speakers, although it doesn't have hdmi connections on it... I want a new telly to also get the fully benefit of HD from blu ray etc as my telly is just 1080i. Not bothered whether LED, Plasma or LCD, just want to get something with great picture quality. I know TV is personal preference, but advice is always a good idea, cos I don't know a lot about TV tech :smilewinkgrin:

Scottie
28th December 2009, 07:04 PM
I'm a Panasonic person always have been always will be don't know about all the technical stuff. I'm a Plasma for the big screen.

Actually I'll tell you this though. I have one of those "things" attached to my power supply that tells use how much electricity your using. You would be shocked at how much a Plasma TV: Sound System: Sky HD box: panasonic blue ray thingy all use. Just looked and I am sitting at £72 a month if I switch them all off it will go down to £13 a month. LCD's are mean't to be better on the electricity.

Gismo
28th December 2009, 07:14 PM
I have an av amp and speakers, although it doesn't have hdmi connections on it... I want a new telly to also get the fully benefit of HD from blu ray etc as my telly is just 1080iThen you'll need to upgrade your amp as well then to get the full benefit :smilewinkgrin:

Craig
28th December 2009, 07:21 PM
Then you'll need to upgrade your amp as well then to get the full benefit :smilewinkgrin:

I am not sure what you mean as I get Dolby Digital 5.1 thro my digital optical outputs? Seems fine to me...

Anyway, job already done, Mrs D has agreed to the 50" Samsung Plasma that Currys have on offer, so that is reserved for pickup tomorrow :yes nod: a bargain at £599

AndyP & Lenore
28th December 2009, 07:38 PM
Thats cool, glad you got sorted. I hope all the advice and info I gave you when you called helped:thumbs up:. OH WAIT! You didn't call:hand:. Must be thinking of someone else.:moonie:

A.:sad:

Bazthemod
28th December 2009, 07:54 PM
You wont be disappointed Craig, great picture quality... we are about to watch a blu-ray tonight with some popcorn haha
http://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs148.snc3/17549_234698710368_611850368_3247845_1452238_n.jpg

Mini Ecosse
28th December 2009, 08:25 PM
Good that's the telly sorted.

Whatever happened about a phone :laugh::laugh:

Craig
28th December 2009, 08:40 PM
Thats cool, glad you got sorted. I hope all the advice and info I gave you when you called helped:thumbs up:. OH WAIT! You didn't call:hand:. Must be thinking of someone else.:moonie:

dinnae cry now.... :sad: I remembered all the stuff you've told me over the years... :thumbs up:

Craig
28th December 2009, 08:41 PM
You wont be disappointed Craig, great picture quality... we are about to watch a blu-ray tonight with some popcorn haha
http://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs148.snc3/17549_234698710368_611850368_3247845_1452238_n.jpg

:cool::cool::cool::yes nod:

cannae wait, also getting a Sony Blu-ray player with it which is also on special :yes nod:

Craig
28th December 2009, 08:41 PM
Good that's the telly sorted.

Whatever happened about a phone :laugh::laugh:

it's pretty much been sorted and will be ordered soon. :-)

AndyP & Lenore
28th December 2009, 08:42 PM
it's pretty much been sorted and will be ordered soon. :-)

Better not be an iPhone or I'll get the blame again when it doesn't work quite the way you wanted.:hand:

Craig
28th December 2009, 08:44 PM
Better not be an iPhone or I'll get the blame again when it doesn't work quite the way you wanted.:hand:

no telling, but it will ALL be MY fault :yes nod::yes nod:

AndyP & Lenore
28th December 2009, 08:54 PM
no telling, but it will ALL be MY fault :yes nod::yes nod:

Usually is.:smilewinkgrin:

A.

Stewart
28th December 2009, 09:35 PM
Was down at my mates on Christmas day and he’s got a 40” plasma that to me is fantastic up on the wall with all the sound system, plays the wee ones 360 on it in high def. He’s getting a 50” and shifting the 40” up to his sons bedroom. :yes nod:
Was standing in front of the 60" on display thinking "oh yeah" :thud:
I must be the last to have a Sh*T normal Telly :blush:

Sheilz
28th December 2009, 10:43 PM
Was down at my mates on Christmas day and he’s got a 40” plasma that to me is fantastic up on the wall with all the sound system, plays the wee ones 360 on it in high def. He’s getting a 50” and shifting the 40” up to his sons bedroom. :yes nod:
Was standing in front of the 60" on display thinking "oh yeah" :thud:

I'm second last because our normal flatscreen just went out before Christmas. Would have still been here if it wasn't for the fact that I wanted the floor space for the Christmas tree. I just ordered a phillips tv but only a 32". Just not wanting a big tv to dominate my living room though would have a bigger one if I'd two living rooms. When I was hunting the net looking for one at a reasonable price I found one beauty at 43K+ No need to say it's not the one I'm waiting to be delivered some time this week.

illegalhunter
29th December 2009, 09:38 AM
The bigger the screen the farther away you have to sit to get the benifit, me thinks

rpn
29th December 2009, 11:47 AM

No, you're not alone. I keep you company.

Craig
30th December 2009, 09:49 PM
Well, had my new telly plugged in for the last 2 days and fook me, I thought my last telly was a great picture... :rolleyes: Also treated myself to a blu ray player (Sony) and it is amazing. Got it connected to my Denon AV receiver and the sound is superb :thumbs up:

Best £700 (all in) I have spent in a few years. :yes nod::yes nod:

Bazthemod
31st December 2009, 12:53 AM
Good stuff :thumbs up:

Craig
9th January 2010, 03:41 PM
My old telly went away last night and it was sad to see it go... It was my first ever flat screen and I even for £300 back for it.:yes nod::yes nod:

just about to watch Megan Fox in HD on ma new telly now.... :clap::clap:

GCA3N
9th January 2010, 05:00 PM
just about to watch Megan Fox in HD on ma new telly now.... :clap::clap:

oh yeh

MrMischief
28th January 2010, 11:05 AM
Craig,

Glad to hear you're enjoying your new telly.

I've finally got a new telly for our living room - our current Sony KDL40W2000 was sent to the study/PS3 room & the wife was getting fed up with our wee Samsung 15"'er in the living room :hand:

It was delivered a few days ago & the pic is amazing - Sony KDL46X4500. Thankfully, someone put a fireplace in the living room so the 55" version is too big. That saved us some pennies :cool:

Just need to mount the fecker on the wall & have the leads fished up there.

Cheers
Steve