PDA

View Full Version : help with laptop memory

stoney
26th December 2009, 06:28 PM
ok i have put more memory in my lap top as it was geting full it is saying it is there but i keep geting the mesage that my hard drive is full so how do i make it save to the new memoray ????

any help would be brill

thanx stoney :thumbs up:

AndyP & Lenore
26th December 2009, 06:43 PM
Rob, there's a difference between solid state (microchips) memory and hard drive memory. Is it more memory chips you installed to bring the RAM up? Or have you installed another hard drive. Not sure many laptops have space for an extra hard drive so I suspect its the former.

If it's extra RAM you've installed I'm afraid that wont help you having a lack of space on your hard drive. However, there's a few options to help free up hard drive space. For example with a portable external hard drive you could move all your photo's onto that drive instead of having them on your laptop hard drive.

A.

stoney
26th December 2009, 07:04 PM
it is memory it is showing in my computer as DATA (D:) 32.1 GB free of 32.2 GB and the one that is full is ACER(C:) 447 MB free of 32.5GB

AndyP & Lenore
26th December 2009, 07:07 PM
I have to admit I'm pretty confused on this one.

Not sure why extra RAM would be showing as a drive with a letter. Unless, is it like a memory stick you've stuck into one of the USB ports?

a.

stoney
26th December 2009, 07:16 PM
thats cos it extra memoray not ram there was an extra slot of the card in the laptop its not a usb or a memory card its extra memory

it comes under hard disk drivers !!!!!!!!!!

Gismo
26th December 2009, 07:17 PM
The Acer C: reference is the internal hard drive, if what you are saying correct the drive is full, however, as often happens with laptops they are partitioned to have 2 drives, therefore this may account for the D: which is normally a cd or dvd drive.
So, if your internal hard drive is partitioned then you need to move some stuff from the C: to the D:
Be careful though, do not move any operating files, only move photo's, music and documents etc remembering that certain programmes will be associtaed with the current location and by moving them to D: may throw an error

Gismo
26th December 2009, 07:19 PM
thats cos it extra memoray not ram there was an extra slot of the card in the laptop its not a usb or a memory card its extra memory

it comes under hard disk drivers !!!!!!!!!!My previous reply still stands, your "extra" memory card has space on it, so, move the files from C: to it, until you do your laptop will struggle to run effectively
I should point out that Woindows always uses a hard drive as a memory swapper, whereby it'll dump information to a hard drive to be able to work faster, in your case with your internal hard drive full will limit the ampount of swapping it can do

stoney
26th December 2009, 07:20 PM
ok so i carnt just swap them to save on to the other mem ?? i have just to swap a load over

and E: is my cd drive

Gismo
26th December 2009, 07:24 PM
ok so i carnt just swap them to save on to the other mem ?? i have just to swap a load over

and E: is my cd driveYour windows operating system files are stored on C: and this will always be accessed first to boot up and actually run windows.
You could clear out any old programmes that you do not use by going to the control panel, add/remove software and ask it to remove unwanted programmes.

You could investigate installing a larger hard drive (C:) but you'd have to reinstall windows and have saved all your pictures and documents prior to that.

AndyP & Lenore
26th December 2009, 07:26 PM

it comes under hard disk drivers !!!!!!!!!!

Hey sunshine, I'm trying to help you here! Less of the "!!!!!!!!'s". You may be getting frustrated 'cos I'm not getting what you said, but I am trying. Just ask Lenore, she say's I'm very trying.

Like Gismo said, it sounds like your DATA D: drive may well have been there all the time. Adding extra memory wouldn't show up as a hard disk drive.

Moving some files from ACER C: to DATA D: will free up a wee bit from your main hard drive, but it's only gonna be 32gb at best 'cos that's the size of partition D:.

A.

Gismo
26th December 2009, 07:37 PM
Like Gismo said, it sounds like your DATA D: drive may well have been there all the time. Adding extra memory wouldn't show up as a hard disk driveI think his new D: drive is actually a card type drive and this is where he should move non windows or programme related files in order to free up his internal hard drive

AndyP & Lenore
26th December 2009, 07:45 PM
I think his new D: drive is actually a card type drive and this is where he should move non windows or programme related files in order to free up his internal hard drive

Yeah, I guess it doesn't matter where it came from, fact is it's another 32gb of ram he can use to free up some space on C:

A.

Ally S
29th December 2009, 11:32 AM
It looks like you have nothing on D. You should change your My Docs folder to the D drive so that all your pics and music etc.. is stored there. That should even things out and stop the warning messages.

More Memory wont help with the low space on C as windows needs a few GB for its virtual memory.