PDA

View Full Version : Day Running Lights (DRLs)

zimbo
23rd December 2009, 11:04 AM
I noticed in another thread on here that some people in here dont like these DRLs (like what some Audis and Porsches etc have on the front only by the way.. For now) Volvo have been doing this for donkeys years but with normal side light bulbs and not LEDs :hand:

Well I for one will be glad to see these come about, because after all they are there for yours and everyone elses safety out there on the roads, with more and more vehicles coming onto our roads these days anything that helps make me, my family and anyone I know safer out on the roads gets a BIG thumbs up from me :yes nod:

I cant even remember the amount of idiots I've seen driving without any sort of lights on AT ALL and that really gets me going!! :ragin:

Bazthemod
23rd December 2009, 11:21 AM
Yeah i think it's a good idea too... but then i always drive with my lights on. it's something thats stuck with me since my days on 2 wheels.

The Dogfather
23rd December 2009, 11:24 AM
I think the concept of DRL is excellent how the way both Audi and Porsche has done them is low rent and tacky IMO

Gismo
23rd December 2009, 12:02 PM
Good concept, but, as Paul says, poor design by the big guns

KenL
23rd December 2009, 12:11 PM
I think the concept of DRL is excellent how the way both Audi and Porsche has done them is low rent and tacky IMO

I totally agree, hate those light on Audis.

koolsville
23rd December 2009, 12:36 PM
Those LEDs do cheapen the Audi's looks IMO. On the subject of daylight lights. I once heard a biker complain that if all cars do this, it would somehow take away from visibilty of motorbikes. "That's all we've got left" or words to that effect. It was on Jeremy Vine a while back. I guess he thought biker's have more of right to road safety than car drivers.

I recall from my biker days in the 70s and 80s that the only folks running daylight headlights were indeed motorcycles and Volvos. Arch enemies!

stoney
23rd December 2009, 01:07 PM
the reason the volvo do the daylight lights is due to the law in sweden you have to have diped beam on at all times and this is the reason that volvos and sarb both have this in built

Mini Ecosse
23rd December 2009, 03:33 PM
I think it is a good idea.:thumbs up:
There have been far too many occassions when going to overtake and somebody comes out of the gloom with no lights on:argh:
As for the LED's on the Audi's, I quite like them.
Waiting to see what they look like for real on a Merc C class:Whistle:

john
23rd December 2009, 08:36 PM
Day running lights are now manditory on all new kit cars :smilewinkgrin:

Livi
23rd December 2009, 09:57 PM
Well... i plugged the MINI onto the Progman last night and seen this setting, as i was switching a few non-factory things on like "homelights" and "Auto open when engine off" and seen the DRL, and thought about it for a bitty, but i kept them off the meantime as i wasn't to sure on it.

As for Audi lights, i think they are a tad too bright, but looks cool!

its just the ones that people buy from ebay and fit them on themselfs that look chavy