PDA

View Full Version : Cycle Carriers

sw
8th June 2004, 09:20 PM
Does anyone have or know off a rear mounted cycle carrier for at least 2 bikes that fits new minis? I also believe there is no roof bars available unless you drill holes in the roof. Can anyone shed any light on these??

Monsta Mo Mini
8th June 2004, 10:01 PM
There are roof bars available which don't involve drilling. Mont Blanc do a very good system designed specifically for the new MINI.

Have look here: http://saveanddrive.co.uk/mini/main.swf

Vosh
9th June 2004, 06:00 AM
I use one of these and it's been great. I just use towels on all contact points to protect the paint work.

http://www.car-roofracks.co.uk/bicycle-rack-thule-freeway.htm

redpoint rallying
19th June 2004, 03:38 AM
I can reccommend the non - holes in the roof Mont Blanc rack...very good and gives you full access to the rear hatch without messing about with a rear mounted rack.

Cheers

gcampbell
25th June 2004, 11:27 PM
I ended up getting a Saris Bones rack from Halfords.... I have pics from a guy on mini2.com if you want me to email them....

Used it a lot and no scratches.... even with 3 bikes up to Loch Katrine...

Only thing you need to be careful of is where the bottom ties attach to.... keep clear of the exhaust as it will melt the synthetic tie!!!! (speaking from experience here)

Mont Blanc Roof bar system probably better bet as you can get into the boot!!!

lightbody
12th June 2006, 08:07 PM
I just ordered the Mont Blanc Bars with the Barracude bike attachment from that link of Monsta Mo's - thanks!

I'll be testing them by driving through the scottish mountains in an enthusiastic driving style!

Mini Me
16th June 2006, 12:45 AM
i bought a superb set from Rock and Road in Bridge off Allan , holds 2 bikes easy....
Think they are made by a company called hollywood.......i could easy go wipe the dust of em and check:p

lightbody
21st July 2006, 10:34 PM
OK so this system works. Well. *BUT* you have to not follow the instructions to the letter. - You must set the rear bar feet wider apart than suggested, so that the bolt for the rear grip is long enough. If you follow the instructions, it won't work.

Have just been for a high speed drive with the bike on the roof, no problems. Seems very secure and easy to put the bike on and off the car.

I don't think its a great solution if you just want to be able to pop the rack on for one quick trip out on your bike though but it would be a good solution for a holiday or to leave the rack on for a while.

sleepyrascal
22nd July 2006, 08:17 AM
The THULE system is top notch. A lot of the guys I know who downhill race use them. The look pretty mean too!