PDA

View Full Version : People don't like getting passed by a MINI

koolsville
14th December 2009, 12:54 PM
Thats the conclusion I've came to after two very similar incidents last week.
On both occasions it was dark and I overtook cars that were doing 40 on a 60mph unlit road. Both times were on long straights with no oncoming vehicles.

Yet, both these drivers put on their full beams after I passed and one them actually sped up and caught me up, and flashed his hazards, also kept full beams on until an oncoming car flashed him (or her).

I know I'm not the perfect driver (who is?), but I'm pretty sure I obeyed the highway code on both occasions.

Do they think MINI's are small low powered cars that have no right pass Range Rovers and in the second case a diesel Focus!

Gismo
14th December 2009, 01:03 PM
No excuse from any other driver to use aggressive techniques to your safety, no matter what they feel is right or wrong.
Good on ya for not getting involved, it's difficult to turn the other cheek :thumbs up:

john
14th December 2009, 01:08 PM
Probably some twta that thought your sidelights where fogs;)

I had a similar case with an EVO that would not pull over for me to pass:thumbs up::lol:

Kren__
14th December 2009, 02:00 PM
I can relate to this. I had a horrible incident with a Range Rover a few weeks ago.

Daylight, dry, straight road, three cars in front of me and plenty of road to pass them all. I move to overtake, I'm now past the first car just about to pass the Range Rover, when he pulls out in front of me. I had to slam on my brakes, I can only assume he didn't check his mirrors from what happened next. He passes the car and starts to move in. Now I can see the road ahead is still clear and I have the power to pass him as well so I start closing the gap in anticipation of him moving back into the other lane. At this point, I don't know what went through their head because as I started to overtake him he swerved back in front of me nearly putting me off the road. He then pulls back in, I decide I don't want to be anywhere near this guy and finally manage to pass him. I finally pull in having left him plenty of room only to see him flashing his lights at me as if I'm some kind of maniac.

I gave him the benefit of the doubt for the initial near accident (although he should've checked his mirrors), the second 'swerve' was dangerous and nearly life threatening, not just to himself and I, but to those cars we'd just passed. :ragin:

Whether his reaction was due to me driving a MINI I can't say as I've no idea what the guy was thinking, but I do know now from experience that plenty of people I've passed on my daily commute (there are lots of 40mph snails on my route) have reacted to me overtaking by suddenly increasing their speed and tailgating me. Not nice. Interestingly I never used to get that reaction when I had my RX-8. :confused:

This might make me sound like a fast driver but generally I do stick to the speed limit and usually only overtake if someone is under the speed limit by a fair margin...

Sorry for the rant but I saw the words 'Range Rover' and then my fingers took over my keyboard... :smilewinkgrin:

Ally S
14th December 2009, 02:12 PM
I've had less issues in my Mini than previous cars... not had it that long though.

Fairy
14th December 2009, 02:12 PM
Try being a female in a GP!!
I absolutely love my new car (will get photos up and change my signature asap) but its such a target for folk wanting a race :rolleyes:

Its usually guys in clapped out old Citreons or Laguna's that cannot handle it when I pass them especially when on the Aberdeen dualler. They floor it past me like their life depends on it but then when we come up to the large sweeping bend at Bridge of Muchalls they have to ease off the gas, down to around 60mph and of course I know Mini will hold so i just gracefully take the bend in the outside lane and then at around Stonehaven - here they come again, screaming the ar$e off their car to catch me and insist on overtaking again!!
Whatever mate - on you go, knock yourself out - I know I've got a stunning Mini - not my fault your a middle aged g*t who's probably cheating on your wife!!!!!

Oh and they also have a habit of overtaking you and then cutting back in right in front of you - not even a car length away from my bonnet - its like YOU'VE GOT THE WHOLE ROAD - DO U REALLY NEED TO CUT ME UP?!?

But at the end of the day - when i've reached my destination, I get outta Mini with a beaming smile - bet they dont!:hand::D

Ally S
14th December 2009, 02:31 PM
I absolutely love my new car (will get photos up and change my signature asap) but its such a target for folk wanting a race :rolleyes:

Its usually guys in clapped out old Citreons or Laguna's that cannot handle it when I pass them especially when on the Aberdeen dualler. They floor it past me like their life depends on it but then when we come up to the large sweeping bend at Bridge of Muchalls they have to ease off the gas, down to around 60mph and of course I know Mini will hold so i just gracefully take the bend in the outside lane and then at around Stonehaven - here they come again, screaming the ar$e off their car to catch me and insist on overtaking again!!
Whatever mate - on you go, knock yourself out - I know I've got a stunning Mini - not my fault your a middle aged g*t who's probably cheating on your wife!!!!!

Oh and they also have a habit of overtaking you and then cutting back in right in front of you - not even a car length away from my bonnet - its like YOU'VE GOT THE WHOLE ROAD - DO U REALLY NEED TO CUT ME UP?!?

But at the end of the day - when i've reached my destination, I get outta Mini with a beaming smile - bet they dont!:hand::D

Release the rage! :D

looking forward to seeing your GP

Fairy
14th December 2009, 02:33 PM
Release the rage! :D

looking forward to seeing your GP

lol - I know, sorry, did have a bit of a rant there, but C'MON!!!!!! lol

emicen
14th December 2009, 03:00 PM
Nothing to do with being in a mini folks, just the way people behave now there is a reliance on scameras over trafpol.

Bunching up on A and B roads, nobody willing to pass nor willing to leave a gap for those who wish to pick their way up the line. Those who speed up when being overtaken. Overtaking lane ownership on the motorway regardless of doing 60mph with a queue 20 cars long behind. The list goes on and on.

I drove back from Morzine earlier this year, 800 miles through France over country roads and motorways with none of this crap and perfect lane discipline. I got off the ferry at Dover and within 5mins was eating the steering wheel with frustration at the muppetry going on infront of me.

V500EMA
14th December 2009, 04:32 PM

Well said Fay! :thumbs up: Get the piccys up of your GP :D

Forbes
14th December 2009, 04:41 PM
Nothing to do with being in a mini folks, just the way people behave now there is a reliance on scameras over trafpol.

See I have more problems like Fairy described in my Coop than Dad's Freelander. Scrap that I have never had anyone argue (flash nights, try and reovertake etc.) with Freelander - and it is alot tricker to judge the overtake in it:yes nod:

Think it is also that most of the cars on the site are not standard by looks or special editions does not help us either as some people feel the need to try and race or feel we are trying to race them

stoney
14th December 2009, 05:06 PM
well i was on my way back from seeing the Quo in the secc last night and there was so meny people driving in the fast lane doing 50mph it was doing my nut in also had one guy go nuts at me just cos i got the wrong lane coming to a set of lights just before i got on the m8 so when i got on to the m8 and passed him i just give him a wee toot of the horn and a wave as if to say fo and F**k ur self u stupid twat

but i find a lot of the time people want to have a race with my mini cos its loud

N16SHP
14th December 2009, 05:50 PM

I can relate to that! Had a similar inccident with a guy in a 1.2 Corsa. I passed him leaving Aberdeen as obviously I can get to 70 a lot quicker, so by Muchalls he wanted to overtake me. He was on the outside when we got to the middle (and bottom) of the bend/hill, so on the climb up, i just kept going at my usual 70, as he struggled to get up it, when he finally passed me just past Stonehaven, he flashed and gave me the finger! I just looked at him thinking well mate, i'm sorry, i stayed in my lane at a continuous speed, it's not my fault!

Also passed a guy in an "chaved out" Astra van on the dueler to Westhill. Passed him just after the Kingswells roundabout, and when he finally caught me, he undertook me then swerved into the right hand lane to go into Westhill.

I think people are just generally shocked at how quick some of the Mini's actually are. I know when I had my Fiesta, I used to think they would be quick, but not really quick!

Livi
14th December 2009, 06:21 PM
Ive actually had somone in a Fiat Seicento wanting to take me on :eek:

I was speaking to susan and we were both at the front of the lights and i looked over and here he was revving his engine.

all i said to susan was "is this guy being serious!?" :rolleyes:

If i knew it was worth the fuel, then maybe but i know for a fact its a bloody 899cc thing!! :yawn: (or maybe some 2ltr turbo)

but yeah, even at this time of the year, it does annoy me, even the people who drive up your rear bumper in the winter conditions :ragin:

KenL
14th December 2009, 08:30 PM
I somehow get people flashing everytime I overtake. Think its the noise of the car and the fact I am young possibly. When they do, all I do is simply slow down 10 mph slower than they were going and let them sit behind me for a while. Then I shoot off again after they get the message.......pricks!

Take a good look at yourself young man :rolleyes:

The Dogfather
14th December 2009, 08:37 PM
Ryan, if your car is loud its probably scaring the dog.

Our village has a real problem with speeding, but I know you probably have more sense than to speed through a built up area though.

RyanK
14th December 2009, 08:43 PM
True Paul.

totalhun
17th December 2009, 02:06 AM
ive came to the conclusion that people who drive like nob heads are more than likely sexually inadequate.......that is all.

Louboolicious
17th December 2009, 10:50 AM
Yep I agree with Fairy!
Middle-aged men do take a disliking to female drivers in minis! On the A9 North especially, coming into inverness - there always seems to be a range rover wanting to ram my coops off the road. But it was the same when i used to drive my corsa...
And just to have a wee rant aswell - boyracers in RUBBBBISSSHHH saxo's/pugeots/novas etc etc..always trying to beat me off the mark at the lights. I know my car would leave u for dust...but I'm not a girl racer, I don't want to race you, I'm just trying to safely get to the retail park so i can fill my boot with shopping delights!

KenL
17th December 2009, 12:46 PM
there always seems to be a range rover wanting to ram my coops off the road. But it was the same when i used to drive my corsa...

No, they do that to everyone!

The Dogfather
18th December 2009, 12:46 PM
They really don't like being overtaken by a MINI when its snowing :D

We had a good covering of snow last night so I spent my morning overtaking all the cars on normal tyres. I was able to carry on at normal speeds. Got up to 60mph on snow, I was able to brake and steer almost as normal....

Crombers
18th December 2009, 10:22 PM
Got up to 60mph on snow, I was able to brake and steer almost as normal....

Impressive sir, hats off :yes nod:

Crombers
18th December 2009, 10:24 PM
Heck!! I just wish I could pass 'anything' in my (Alfie's) 1.2 Punto :hand: