PDA

View Full Version : 2010 Resolutions - Started

Scottie
10th December 2009, 09:22 PM
Well we all like to have a New Years Resolution that normally we all end up breaking me included. Well I have already started mine and I can't break it not this time round.

Recently been confirmed as being Diabetic. Not a shock actually as it runs in my family, that and the fact I'm overweight are the main factors to me becoming diabetic. I have been tested several times before as I suffer alot from skin infections but always been clear before.

So my main goal is to loose weight, 3 stone is what my target is.:argh::argh: thankfully I have been "healthy eating" since Feb of this year and I have managed to loose 1 and 1/2 stone just another three to go. Great!! actually I am looking forward to it how strange is that :confused: never enjoyed being overweight and I wasn't but at 36 years or age it all went pear shape:ragin:

Now the next big challenge is to give up the fags. Managed to get the 20 a day habit now down to 8 a day:clap: think the remainder 8 is just down to a routine going out to the fag hut getting away from the desk etc etc but Rome was not built in a day and it's more important to get the weight off first.

At last a Resolution that I can't and won't break.:clap:

I'll update as I tick off each stone of weight lost and then when the fag habit is no longer.

Livi
10th December 2009, 09:49 PM
Well Fi, i learnt something today off my Van driver!!

When he quit, he was told that the first 7 seconds is habit and the rest is just your own will...

So he smoked for the first 7 seconds then put the fag out then, come habit, he used the fag he last stubbed out.

it IS a hard hard thing, and im hopefully gonna set myself to stop - after several times, i still failed, but you learn from failure :rolleyes:

Craig
10th December 2009, 10:11 PM
Fi, i feel your pain re diabetis. both my parents have it, and I'm overweight (well actually morbidly obese according to bmi charts.. :rolleyes:) so I am so ripe for this it's not true.

I did well during the early part of the year and lost 2 and half stone, but seems like I have put most of this back of (stress = comfort eating and drink :rolleyes:)

all the best with it Fi and remember and bring your phone with you on SUnday :thumbs up:

stoney
10th December 2009, 10:15 PM
good luck fi sorry to here that u are diabetic

Scottie
10th December 2009, 10:48 PM
Fi, i feel your pain re diabetis. both my parents have it, and I'm overweight (well actually morbidly obese according to bmi charts.. :rolleyes:) so I am so ripe for this it's not true.

I did well during the early part of the year and lost 2 and half stone, but seems like I have put most of this back of (stress = comfort eating and drink :rolleyes:)

all the best with it Fi and remember and bring your phone with you on SUnday :thumbs up:

well Craig you know what I'm going to say to you loose it now cause trust me once your over 40 ain't so easy and at 46 it's a nightmare I've been over weight for 10 years. The nurse told me folks like us (with our family history) after the age 40 for diabeties it's not if but when. The only thing on my side is I'm T total so she ripped a few pages out me notes:thumbs up:

According to my BMI I am classed as obese she then went on to tell me at what percent it clicks over to cat I then Cat II etc

Can you remember what your BMI is?

I'll be doing the highland fling when I reach my goal.

audrey
11th December 2009, 12:25 AM
Good Luck :thumbs up:

Gismo
11th December 2009, 01:16 AM
Good luck Fi :thumbs up:

camjay
11th December 2009, 01:17 AM
Good Luck. My BMI is too high as well. Since I turned 40 this year, I've started to worry about the health side of things, type2 diabetes especially, as my diet can be crap! So, me too, from 1st January, that's it - diet is back on and exercise is getting increased! Here's to being thin (but not organ failure skinny - hideous)! xx

Ps Champix can be good for smoking cessation. I've seen some good results with this, but it also has side effects! But, if you can do it yourselft go for it! :thumbs up:

Craig
11th December 2009, 08:24 AM
well Craig you know what I'm going to say to you loose it now cause trust me once your over 40 ain't so easy and at 46 it's a nightmare I've been over weight for 10 years. The nurse told me folks like us (with our family history) after the age 40 for diabeties it's not if but when. The only thing on my side is I'm T total so she ripped a few pages out me notes:thumbs up:

According to my BMI I am classed as obese she then went on to tell me at what percent it clicks over to cat I then Cat II etc

Can you remember what your BMI is?

I'll be doing the highland fling when I reach my goal.

nae idea what my BMI is, but there will be a calculator on the t'internet.. 21st and 6ft :Whistle:

john
11th December 2009, 09:20 AM
Hi Fiona, not good but could be much worse so always think on the bright side.:thumbs up:

How about we start a NMS Fatclub thread as I too am overweight and if a few others join in we could do a once a week update (good or bad)

What do you think?

Mini Ecosse
11th December 2009, 10:42 AM
Good luck with diet and cutting out the ciggies:thumbs up:

Crombers
11th December 2009, 12:40 PM
Sorry to hear this Fi. A good friend of mine called me this week and told me she had been diagnosed as diabetic as well :sad:

As for the fags, well it took me 4 attempts from June 2000 to September 2006 to finally break the habit. Each time I stopped & it ranged from 7 months to 18 months, I succumbed to the 'I'll just have the one' & woe & behold I was right back in buying a 20 pack :eek:

What surprised me every time I stopped was how relatively easy it was. I reckon a lot of that was down to my preparation in setting a date & really really wanting to stop (I was in my late 30's / early 40's & I wanted to look after my health). I did not use anything but brute self will power. The first weekend was always the tester as I would 'propably' be out with my wife or mates & back then you could still smoke in public places. Once over the fist weekend I would then start counting up the days & being pretty chuffed with myself. Once you get to 2, 3 and 4 weeks it is getting even better to cope with & the one thing that kept me going was that I had done so well & would'nt it be a crime to throw away all the good work I had done.

As I say it took me 4 'good' attempts & with over 3 years having now passed I feel so much better for it.

The only downside to stopping smoking was the inevitable weight gain :blush:
What I need to do now is prepare myself (as I did when stopping smoking) and have the same will power to succeed. I am determined that my football (it'll be 5 a-sides mind ;)) career can be re-ignited (I retired from the game aged 38 after shattering my left arm) in my drive to get down to a more 'reasonable' weight.

Here's to NMSlimmers.co.uk :thumbs up:

Scottie
11th December 2009, 09:37 PM
Hi Fiona, not good but could be much worse so always think on the bright side.:thumbs up:

How about we start a NMS Fatclub thread as I too am overweight and if a few others join in we could do a once a week update (good or bad)

What do you think?

Sounds a good idea to me always good to have a few of us to support each other.

Cut back one more fag today so down to 7 a day.

On a plus note didn't cost me any more on my car insurance.:thumbs up:

AndyP & Lenore
11th December 2009, 10:17 PM
Good luck Fi.:thumbs up:

Sheilz
12th December 2009, 02:09 AM
Yep. Good luck. A warning for everyone. Like others on here type 1 diabetes also runs in my family. I'm always in hot water at home for having really dire eating habits. Regularily come in at night ravenous because haven't had time for lunch and only eat breakfast on holiday. Being a bit of chocoholic at night just adds fuel to the fire. As M points out in stern disapproval I always manage to find time to nip outside for a nicotine fix during the day so why not make time for food? He's right of course. Just plain daft but its a habit and like all bad ones not easy to break.

Just Jade
12th December 2009, 10:59 AM
Good luck Fi ;)

I worry that my mum might have diabetis. She has put on lots of weight over the last couple of years despite eating no more than she did before and her eyesight has deteriorated badly! She wont go to the doctor (blames everything on her age!) :(

AndyP & Lenore
12th December 2009, 11:25 AM
Fi, I lost 2 stone this summer also. I just got fed up of being out of breath and my Doctor had been nagging me for years so I decided to just get stuck in and drop the weight.

I found it fairly easy tbh. I didn't calorie count, our go onto slimfast or weightwatchers meals or anything like that. I just ate more fruit instead of crisps, and checked the fat content of everything I ate for 3 months. I tried as hard as I could NOT to go over the 90g fat allowance every single day. From June to September I dropped from 16st 12lb to 14st 12lb. Which took my BMI from "Obese" to "Overweight". Which I was delighted with.

I have slipped since then and I have put 5 or 6 lb's back on, but I am determined to get my weight back down again, so I'll be doing a new years resolution to drop my weight again. I need to think of a target though, as that really helped having a target to aim for.

A.

emicen
12th December 2009, 03:47 PM
I'm another one trying to lose weight. I have had appauling eating habbits for the last 5-6 years and decided to start trying to shed some weight in 2007. Dropped from 95ish kg down to about 83 (15.5st down to 13.5 roughly).

I relapsed a bit from the end of last year on and went back up about 87kg. Right now I'm using racing next year as my motivator to get down to fighting weight, want to turn that 87 round and get to 78kg, just over 12st.

Stage one is complete, I managed not to drink any redbull or irnbru in work this week or hit the vending machine for chocolate or crisps. Not just need to up the exercise!

Scottie
12th December 2009, 07:14 PM
Thanks guys.

I will say it is much easier to diet when you can't eat the things that might tempt you.

So far so good in the last week I really feel the difference.

Good thing is the Nurse is helping and weighing me each month.

Still waiting on my thyroid results to come back but I have my fingers crossed that I will be under active if not I'll be annoyed. It's ten years since I last had my blood tested for thyroid when I went though the whole thyroid goiters thing making sure there was nothing nasty going (which thankfully there was not) but about a year after that I started to put the weight on but never bothered to get tested, which I should have. So hopefully with my new diet and IF my thyroid is under active get that under control :thumbs up:

Scottie
15th December 2009, 07:04 PM
well my MOT is complete.

Had more blood taken from me in the last few weeks than what I've given as a donor, well it feels like that, my arm looks like a pin cushion.

Got the last of my results today to say my Kidney and Liver functions are normal.

Thyriod normal:argh::argh:

Cholesterol is below the average I'm at 4.9

which I was chuffed about right up until she told me they wan't to get it under the 4.0:argh::argh:

Actually I'm glad that they have taken the time to give me a good check over as I'm the kind that always puts to the back of my mind that anything could be wrong with my health.

The only down side to it all is that I can no longer be a blood donor which is a shame as I was in the type O Rh(D) negative blood group.

illegalhunter
15th December 2009, 07:25 PM
Good luck with the fags Fi.

Scottie
3rd February 2010, 09:20 PM
bit of an update.

Allan managed to get back to the nurse before me

previously he weighed in at 15st 6lb which is not to bad for his 6ft3" height he has never been considered over weight.

However eating the same as me "almost" but he still has butter and the odd treat.

Anyway today he weighed in a 14st 1lb

total loss of 1st 5lb in 8 weeks which ain't bad as he didn't really have that much to loose.

Me I go for my weigh in around the 15th not booked it yet but should get an appointment for then
if I've lost around the same I will be 100% chuffed.

In the meantime I can tell you so far I've dropped 1 dress size [and actually think I could go down to another] and I've had the pleasure of going through my clothes recently and giving to the local charity shop everything that is now to big for me I won't need it again as I can't go back to my old ways.

GCA3N
3rd February 2010, 09:23 PM
wow, brilliant effort well done.

Craig
3rd February 2010, 09:30 PM
Well Done to you both - keep up the good work, especially during the cold, dark days & nights it is even harder. !!! :clap: :clap:

Sheilz
3rd February 2010, 09:38 PM
Will be excellent if you can match Allan's numbers. Sometimes even feeling thinner boosts weight loss. Must be good if you're dropping dress sizes. LOL Fiona I didn't think you were a 'dress' person ;)

Scottie
3rd February 2010, 09:55 PM
Will be excellent if you can match Allan's numbers. Sometimes even feeling thinner boosts weight loss. Must be good if you're dropping dress sizes. LOL Fiona I didn't think you were a 'dress' person ;)

LOL your correct I'm not a frock person.

audrey
4th February 2010, 12:13 AM
Well Done to you both :clap::clap:

indigomatt
4th February 2010, 10:44 AM
Well done to you two, my girlfriend and I are also eating healthily and stopped the fags......was just as well as we’ve both unfortunately operations coming up :sad:

Anyway, it has only been 10 days smoke free and although its been a somewhat trying time, the benefits are noticeable; coughs eased, our cloths are fresh smelling for longer and more free time to enjoy each others company...... :cool: ;) :cool:

Just hang in there, once you’ve started, counting down the days will be important but soon you’ll forget after a week and not be to bothered, still nipping at everything but so just have some weight books handy to read till it passes.....

All the best, keep up the good work, M

Scottie
18th February 2010, 10:03 AM
bit of a update on my weight loss

back at the nurse today and so far I have lost 1st 4lb. To say I am chuffed is an understatement. Still got a good bit to go but that's not a problem as I can't cheat even if I wanted to.

Nurse said I am doing it right my weight loss is such that I will be able to keep it off.:yes nod:

Mini Ecosse
18th February 2010, 11:40 AM
Well done, keep up the good work:thumbs up:

AndyP & Lenore
18th February 2010, 11:52 AM
Well done Fi.:clap::thumbs up:

Not having as much luck if I'm honest. Finding it much harder keeping to the low fat regime this time round. It's just a will power thing, and I seem to be lacking it this time.:sad:

A.:frown:

GCA3N
18th February 2010, 01:23 PM
Very well done to you :thumbs up:

Scottie
18th February 2010, 11:07 PM
thanks guys .

Craig
18th February 2010, 11:17 PM
Well done Fi - I am trying hard, but the lure of the T is the problem :lol:

Going for a nice game of golf tomorrow at Whitekirk Golf Club tomorrow, and with it being so cold, that will burn off a few pounds.

Keep up the good work! :clap:

audrey
19th February 2010, 12:10 AM
Brilliant Well Done :thumbs up: You must be well chuffed :yes nod:

Scottie
19th February 2010, 12:15 AM
Brilliant Well Done :thumbs up: You must be well chuffed :yes nod:

Thanks you have no idea how chuffed talking with my mum today and we both realised this is the thinest I've been since 2002.

Crombers
19th February 2010, 12:26 AM
I am trying hard, but the lure of the T is the problem :lol:

Bloody 'T'reacle sponge is a killer I know, but you'll just have to try harder :yes nod:

Sheilz
19th February 2010, 03:17 AM
That's really good. How's the fags thing coming on? Still of these as well? :clap::clap:

GCA3N
19th February 2010, 07:17 AM
That's really good. How's the fags thing coming on? Still of these as well? :clap::clap:

IS that PC to say that. ;)

illegalhunter
19th February 2010, 09:19 AM
We done Fi

Scottie
19th February 2010, 06:30 PM
back at the clinic to day. Everything seems to be going in the right direction. HbA1c down to 6.2 from 7.8. I hope to get this near to the 5.5 using diet, exercise and weight loss.

cholesterol down to 3.0 from 4.9

Go back in April to get another MOT and then will not go back for 1 year. Kinda wish I could keep going every 8 weeks as I like getting all those blood test done and checked.

Still got the retinal screening to get done.

So far the only down side is that I can not give blood at present always been proud to be a blood donar I have to wait until I am established diabetic and controlling it then I will be allowed to donate again.

euan
19th February 2010, 06:40 PM
Well done Fi, sounds like you've done really well so far!

Scottie
25th April 2010, 09:56 PM
A wee update lost some more weight another 16llbs so I think thats 2 stone 7llbs lost in total so far. I would like to loose another 2 stone by the end of the year.

audrey
25th April 2010, 10:39 PM
Well Done :clap::clap: You are doing great thats an amazing weight loss :D

stoney
25th April 2010, 10:41 PM
Well done fi your doing well

Livi
25th April 2010, 11:06 PM
Fi, have you cut the smoking down more or have you completely stopped?

Thats me coming up to a month and a half off smoking all together after using champix, i never even finished the starter pack and just went cold turkey, and have no cravings at all!

Its good to hear your doing well for your well being! :thumbs up:

GCA3N
30th April 2010, 06:08 PM
Thought I would put a wee update on my struggle with the weight loss.

On the scales today and finally pushed past the 2 stone mark, thats 2 stone 4 pounds now (32lbs) . Only another 20 lbs to go. Dead happy but it's getting harder and harder.

Delboy
30th April 2010, 10:18 PM
Superb Greig. That is good going!

audrey
30th April 2010, 10:43 PM
Well Done Greig :clap:

GCA3N
1st May 2010, 06:12 AM
Superb Greig. That is good going!

Well Done Greig :clap:

Thanks Guys/gals for you comments, It's a hard thing to do and you would think after 10 weeks i would be used to being hungry all the time, but it doesn't get any easier.

N16SHP
1st May 2010, 01:39 PM
Thought I would put a wee update on my struggle with the weight loss.

On the scales today and finally pushed past the 2 stone mark, thats 2 stone 4 pounds now (32lbs) . Only another 20 lbs to go. Dead happy but it's getting harder and harder.

Good work Greg. I used to weight over 15st and had a 40 inch waste. After changing my diet and upping my exercise (even though I played hockey 4 times a week, I basically ate too much) i got down to 12st6 and 32 inches, and then finally settled at about 13st and 34 inches. The hardest part I found was the last little bit. But stick at it mate, as I'm soo much happier about myself that what I used to be!

GCA3N
1st May 2010, 03:28 PM
Good work Greg. I used to weight over 15st and had a 40 inch waste. After changing my diet and upping my exercise (even though I played hockey 4 times a week, I basically ate too much) i got down to 12st6 and 32 inches, and then finally settled at about 13st and 34 inches. The hardest part I found was the last little bit. But stick at it mate, as I'm soo much happier about myself that what I used to be!

Cheers neil, yeh i am down from from 40" to 36", fine about that just want to get to my comfortable weight, it's been a while though.

Scottie
1st May 2010, 06:18 PM
well done Greig. I have given myself 12 months to loose all the weight( I hope) it's great being lighter than what I have been in a about the past 8 years........ just keep going that's all we have to do.

GCA3N
1st May 2010, 07:02 PM
well done Greig. I have given myself 12 months to loose all the weight( I hope) it's great being lighter than what I have been in a about the past 8 years........ just keep going that's all we have to do.

You are right, and they say the longer you take to take the weight off the better chance of keeping it off. :thumbs up:

Scottie
14th May 2010, 06:06 PM
Well back to the nurse today for another health check., the one in February was termed as last year so I had to go back so that I could have one for this year, anyway I am glad report that I have reached the 3 stone weight loss that I had set as my goal. The scales in Allan's garage were way out when I went on them the other week, thankfully. Not stopping now though I want to loose another 2 stone by the end of the year. My BP was always fine @ 140 over 70 but it has also gone down to 132 over 70 and my BMI has gone down by 10 so I am no longer obese:thumbs up: over weight now but at least not obese.

Really pleased about things have gone my only regret is I had get a health scare before I done anything about my weight always able to find an excuse before reasons why I couldn't diet or just ignore the fact that I was fat.

I hope my story and Greig's story can help others who want to make that start to loose weight. It's all worth it in the end. Cause if I can loose anyone can.

AndyP & Lenore
14th May 2010, 06:20 PM
Well done Fi, I know from experience it is not easy.:clap::clap:

My weight is very slowly coming down, mainly because Lenore and I have been out on our bikes a fair bit.

A.:D

GCA3N
14th May 2010, 06:29 PM
Really happy for you I am at 2 stone 6 lbs now slowing up a wee bit but being sensible now. Anyway another 24 lbs to go.

Well done again :thumbs up:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

euan
14th May 2010, 07:24 PM
Fair play to all of you and well done Fi!

I got on the scales last night and scared myself. I knew I'd put on a bit but I've put on a stone and half since my son was born. So, time to get the summer diet going again.

My trouble is that I'm just not able to do any exercise at the moment as all my time is taken up with the wee one, hopefully now it's getting lighter again at night I can get the bike out a bit again, though I doubt I'll look good in lycra just now!

N12 JLK
14th May 2010, 08:50 PM
Wont be able to recognise you, get the new girl pics up.

audrey
14th May 2010, 11:05 PM
Well Done :thumbs up:

Craig
15th May 2010, 12:05 AM
Well done Fi ;)

Gismo
15th May 2010, 12:14 AM
Well done Fi ;)Ditto :thumbs up:

Scottie
21st September 2013, 08:30 PM
Well almost five years on. In total I have now lost 5 stone. 2 stone since may this year. I'm a bit addicted now to loosing weight. It's great buying clothes I like but wouldn't fit Lol. Hope to get another stone off before Christmas. Don't smoke anymore never drank. Walk like crazy infact Ben ledi awaits tomorrow lol. I cut out all the bad sweet stuff back 2009 but all I've changed since may is cut out half the bread and eat my dinners of a side plate. Allan is now 13.7 down from 15.4 since man

Gismo
21st September 2013, 09:19 PM
Well done Fi

Craig
21st September 2013, 09:20 PM
Well done the Thornes ;)

I need to get my finger out shortly, but just getting over an injury I dont was to cause problems again.

Keep up the good work !!

AndyP & Lenore
21st September 2013, 11:38 PM
Well done Fi & Allan. :thumbs up:

stoney
22nd September 2013, 07:17 AM
Well done both of you

EcosseGP
23rd September 2013, 10:36 AM
Well done its not easy to start with but keeping it up is even harder. Well done to you both ;)

At 8000rpm no-one hears you scream !

Crombers
23rd September 2013, 02:56 PM
Welcome to the -5 stone club :thumbs up:

Well done you :clap:

weefossy
23rd September 2013, 06:31 PM
Great news Fi.....well done. When do the pictures appear in slimmers Magazine?

Sheilz
29th September 2013, 01:23 PM
Congratulations Fi, that really is a superb achievement. Tbh I honestly wouldn't have guessed you had a spare five stone to lose. And good on Alan too. Brilliant :thumbs up: