PDA

View Full Version : New Phone hunt

Craig
9th December 2009, 11:44 PM
well, the 3 month search for a new phone has started... :rolleyes:

I go thro this every 18 months and it does ma nut in... :argh:

I was sold on the iphone, but I just can see myself justifying the high price for the phone and the overinflated price for the monthly contract and the fact that most helpful apps you have to pay for... :rolleyes: (this is all compared to other phones)

I have been looking at android phones, which now seem to be very reliable and fairly bug free... The HTC Hero is getting my vote at the moment... ;) Fi, if you could bring yours on Sun for me to have a wee play with?

Also gonna move away from vodafone as the signal at my work (where I use my phone A LOT) is terrible. So it is either going to be Orange or O2. Looking at O2 they seem to have a small choice of phones, but have unlimted net access. Orange only do half a gig of internet a month, but that may be enough. Does anyone know if either allow tethering?

Thanks for the help - hopefully by the time I get to March, I won't make the wrong decision like I did 18 months ago... :lol:

Bazthemod
9th December 2009, 11:57 PM
I would go for O2 as they have a better signal than Orange... My Orange phone would lose signal whenever i went inside somewhere :confused:

You could always get an iPhone from Tesco when they launch it soon... rumor has it that they will have a £30 per month contract. They also use the O2 network so the signal should be good.

john
9th December 2009, 11:57 PM
its no sectert Im an old fuddy duddy, and I always said a phone is for phoning and not txting emailing or taking photos.

WELL!!!!:computer:

I have an IPhone now and its fantastic so go get one :thumbs up:

ace_dude
10th December 2009, 12:00 AM
Yeah man, get an iPhone they are great fun. :D

Craig
10th December 2009, 12:03 AM
I would go for O2 as they have a better signal than Orange... My Orange phone would lose signal whenever i went inside somewhere :confused:

You could always get an iPhone from Tesco when they launch it soon... rumor has it that they will have a £30 per month contract. They also use the O2 network so the signal should be good.

I was told that the issue with Orange is that their frequency isn't at good a penetrating buildings (ooohh eerrrr missus) so that is prob why you have that issue..

its no sectert Im an old fuddy duddy, and I always said a phone is for phoning and not txting emailing or taking photos.

WELL!!!!:computer:

I have an IPhone now and its fantastic so go get one :thumbs up:

Yeah man, get an iPhone they are great fun. :D

I do like the iphone, no question, but the fifer in me wants a better deal... :lol:

The Dogfather
10th December 2009, 01:10 AM
Head down to an Orange store and have a look at the dext, its basically a Hero with a slide out keyboard and a slightly better user interface. Its currently a lot cheaper to get a Dext as well.

Its the phone I choose when I came to spend my own money.

If data services, (browsing, email and social networking) are important then you would be better off on Orange as the 3G coverage is far higher than O2s, hence the you're covered campaign.

Plus, there's also the fact that I can get you 30% off any non iphone monthly tarriff (on Orange) as well. ;) which should appeal to your tightwad side :D

The Bull
10th December 2009, 01:39 AM
I just got a HTC HD2, lovely phone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrGf88eWwOc&feature=related

illegalhunter
10th December 2009, 07:29 AM
Go against the i phone revolution , get a house brick one .

GAJ
10th December 2009, 11:10 AM
I was sold on the iphone, but I just can see myself justifying the high price for the phone and the overinflated price for the monthly contract

I was in exactly the same boat but eventually bought an iPhone last month. If you have any friends who work for Lloyds TSB (or McDonalds!), speak to them nicely as they have a friends and family discount scheme. I got my iPhone last month and get 30% off of the tariff for the full duration of the contract.:D I got a 16GB 3GS which I had to make the standard payment for, but you can get the 3G 8GB for free if you'd be happy with that one.

This is with O2 btw. Thank you site founder's missus!!

GCA3N
10th December 2009, 12:15 PM
I was in exactly the same boat but eventually bought an iPhone last month. If you have any friends who work for Lloyds TSB (or McDonalds!), speak to them nicely as they have a friends and family discount scheme. I got my iPhone last month and get 30% off of the tariff for the full duration of the contract.:D I got a 16GB 3GS which I had to make the standard payment for, but you can get the 3G 8GB for free if you'd be happy with that one.

This is with O2 btw. Thank you site founder's missus!!

The 3G is alot slower than the 3GS once you see the difference you would go for the 3GS. My missus has the 3G and I hate using it.

Craig
10th December 2009, 12:45 PM
thanks for the info GAJ. My niece works for McDonalds. :thumbs up:

RyanK
10th December 2009, 01:23 PM
I am liking the Nokia 6700 classic at the moment. Very simple, but striking design imo. Love how its a chrome finish.

Contemplating an I phone aswell though like yourself, only if they come out on vodafone though. Just got a Macbook pro and it has changed my life ha! I imagine the phone will do the same :D

GAJ
10th December 2009, 02:26 PM
I am liking the Nokia 6700 classic at the moment. Very simple, but striking design imo. Love how its a chrome finish.

Contemplating an I phone aswell though like yourself, only if they come out on vodafone though. Just got a Macbook pro and it has changed my life ha! I imagine the phone will do the same :D

On Vodafone from Feb i think.

Mini Ecosse
10th December 2009, 04:45 PM
Stop moaning :nag:

Just tell Jude what phone you want for Christmas:Whistle::Whistle:

PS don't let her read this post till after meet for lunch on Sunday or it will be the :knife:for me!:lol::lol:

Stewart
10th December 2009, 06:01 PM
Tesco to offer iPhone contracts from 14 December

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/46455000/jpg/_46455647_-3.jpg Tesco Mobile will offer the iPhone in the run up to Christmas

The iPhone will be available at Tesco Mobile from 14 December, the company has announced. Its lowest monthly tariff will be £20 a month for the duration of a 12-month contract - but customers will have to pay £222 for a basic 3G 8GB handset.
This works out over the course of the contract to an actual monthly fee of £38.50.
Both O2's and Orange's lowest tariff - £34.26 - is on a 24-month contract and comes with a free iPhone.
The tariff becomes only slightly more expensive to take an 18-month contract and pay about £97 for the handset.
These monthly cost figures represent the tariff plus the cost of the handset split into monthly payments.
Vodafone will also begin to carry the handset in 2010 but has not yet announced pricing details.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8405542.stm

Craig
10th December 2009, 06:42 PM
Stop moaning :nag:

Just tell Jude what phone you want for Christmas:Whistle::Whistle:

PS don't let her read this post till after meet for lunch on Sunday or it will be the :knife:for me!:lol::lol:

LOL - she has read it and your in bother... :knife::lol:

MINI William
11th December 2009, 09:20 AM
iPhone all the way Craig :D

RyanK
11th December 2009, 09:29 AM
On Vodafone from Feb i think.

Nice one, cheers!:thumbs up:

Scottie
13th December 2009, 06:32 PM
So what are your thoughts on the HTC Hero then Craig.??

The Dogfather
13th December 2009, 07:23 PM
Craig, if you want to see what the Dext can do have a look here (http://simulator.orange.co.uk/MR_dext)

We're in the process of launching these simulators so there's only a few available and they're still only in the beta stage.

The Hero's baby brother the Tattoo Ink is here (http://simulator.orange.co.uk/HTC_Tattoo/)

The Dogfather
13th December 2009, 07:27 PM
I should have some more phones available next week :D

Craig
13th December 2009, 08:49 PM
So what are your thoughts on the HTC Hero then Craig.??

defo up there as a contender Fi, especially when you look at the huge savings over the iphone. My main uses are for internet browsing, email and texting, aswell as a phone. Anything else is a bonus.. :thumbs up:

Craig
13th December 2009, 08:49 PM
I should have some more phones available next week :D

:thumbs up: and are these with a discount? ;)

The Dogfather
13th December 2009, 09:25 PM
I meant the simulators, that's the project I've been working on.

I'd wait to see what the Sony X10 will be like, out in Q1. Mind you there's still a few issues to be sorted out...

http://www.engadget.com/2009/11/02/sony-ericsson-xperia-x10-announced-we-go-hands-on/

If you want something now then either the Dext or the Hero both are excellent handsets.

Craig
13th December 2009, 09:30 PM
Paul,

my contract doesn't end til March and I really want to hold off as long as poss... The Hero looks and feels good, need to get myself into the Orange shop to look at the Dext. :yes nod:

those simulators are great Paul - really helpful :clap::clap:

The Dogfather
13th December 2009, 10:18 PM
All our Q1 devices will be getting a simulator.

Craig, there's not going to be that many new phones early next year but there will be Android 2.0 at some point next year, which will come with turn by turn sat nav.

Craig
13th December 2009, 10:20 PM
All our Q1 devices will be getting a simulator.

Craig, there's not going to be that many new phones early next year but there will be Android 2.0 at some point next year, which will come with turn by turn sat nav.

ok Cool... I want to get a new phone now, but just cant justify paying for 2 contracts.. :rolleyes::yes nod:

The Dogfather
13th December 2009, 11:07 PM
Trouble is with phones no sooner do you buy one a better one comes along.

Craig
14th December 2009, 12:18 AM
Trouble is with phones no sooner do you buy one a better one comes along.

Very true... :rolleyes::lol:

Gismo
14th December 2009, 05:07 AM
Pfft, get an iPhone and be done with it :Whistle:

Craig
14th December 2009, 10:38 AM
Pfft, get an iPhone and be done with it :Whistle:

yeah yeah... :rolleyes:

Gismo
14th December 2009, 10:42 AM
yeah yeah... :rolleyes:At least ask when your phone is actually up for renewal :lol: b y the time March comes round several million new phones will be available anyway :Whistle:

john
14th December 2009, 11:11 AM
At least ask when your phone is actually up for renewal :lol: b y the time March comes round several million new phones will be available anyway :Whistle:

I think he should just get a basic phone (less to go wrong):bigwave:

Craig
14th December 2009, 11:44 AM
actually checked what phones are due for release before my date to buy and there are next to no smartphones for release. ;)

euan
14th December 2009, 03:10 PM
I hate trying to get a new phone. Mine is up next month so I phone them up and they offer me a worse contract than I have and having to pay for the phone. So I asked to be put through to disconnections. Really nice guy, very helpful, offers me the same contract I have now and the phone for free.

However, no budging on the iPhone. So Orange, what have you got! They offer me a W995 (same as I've got now), or a Hero. Now the old HTC my Dad had ran like a slug with asthma, is the Android version that much better? I've not seen it yet?

I'm with Craig, don't like the costs of the iPhone, no matter how good it is. I don't want to be paying effectively double for an iPhone.

Craig
14th December 2009, 05:44 PM
I hate trying to get a new phone. Mine is up next month so I phone them up and they offer me a worse contract than I have and having to pay for the phone. So I asked to be put through to disconnections. Really nice guy, very helpful, offers me the same contract I have now and the phone for free.

However, no budging on the iPhone. So Orange, what have you got! They offer me a W995 (same as I've got now), or a Hero. Now the old HTC my Dad had ran like a slug with asthma, is the Android version that much better? I've not seen it yet?

I'm with Craig, don't like the costs of the iPhone, no matter how good it is. I don't want to be paying effectively double for an iPhone.

thanks Euan - a man with sense... :thumbs up:

as for the Hero - I used it yesterday at the lunch and it was actually rather good... It does suffer from the stutter, (I noticed that when trying to text) but nothing that would put you off it completely (or not me anyway..) :yes nod:

AndyP & Lenore
14th December 2009, 05:48 PM
as for the Hero - I used it yesterday at the lunch and it was actually rather good... It does suffer from the stutter, (I noticed that when trying to text) but nothing that would put you off it completely (or not me anyway..) :yes nod:

Until you've had it for 6 months, then it will drive you nuts and you'll blame Fi for "selling" the phone to you and you're in a contract for another 18 months you can't get out of and you hate the phone and so on and so on....:Whistle:

Anyone noticed I'm staying out of this one? Conscious decision.:hand:

A.:popcorn:

Craig
14th December 2009, 05:57 PM
Until you've had it for 6 months, then it will drive you nuts and you'll blame Fi for "selling" the phone to you and you're in a contract for another 18 months you can't get out of and you hate the phone and so on and so on....:Whistle:

Anyone noticed I'm staying out of this one? Conscious decision.:hand:

A.:popcorn:

ah, but I didn't actually have a shot of my "current" phone... ;)

AndyP & Lenore
14th December 2009, 06:33 PM
ah, but I didn't actually have a shot of my "current" phone... ;)

I gave you a shot of mine.:eek:

Didn't I.:confused::blush:

A.:D

The Dogfather
14th December 2009, 06:34 PM
HTC Hero is a good phone, but the Dext is better.

Forget previous HTC phones as they will have been WinMo and this is ANDROID!!!

My favourite app is the lightsaber one complete with fight music

Craig
14th December 2009, 06:36 PM
I gave you a shot of mine.:eek:

Didn't I.:confused::blush:

well maybe you did.. :rolleyes: cannae remember :lol:

Craig
14th December 2009, 06:38 PM
The Dext looks very good - the simulator was very helpful Paul :clap::clap:

it may be a 2 horse race now... :Whistle:

euan
14th December 2009, 07:43 PM
All the stuff I've seen on the Dext suggest it's a 35 quid a month contract though - for that money I'd be getting an iPhone?

The Dogfather
14th December 2009, 08:33 PM
If you speak to me nicely ;)

I can give you a code to get one for 30% off any Orange monthly line rental.

Which means if you sign up for a 24 month plan you can get one for as little as £16 per month with 500Mb of anytime data, 600 minutes cross network minutes and 500 texts plus unlimited landline calls and a magic number.

AndyP & Lenore
14th December 2009, 09:16 PM
I guess those simulator's don't work on Chrome.:confused: Loaded OK on IE though.:thumbs up:

The Dogfather
14th December 2009, 09:33 PM
Not designed for Chrome, sorry, but we'll be looking to do a dynamic HTML version next year which should work on all browsers.

Andrew
15th December 2009, 12:13 AM
Paul,

Do you know if the Nokia N900 is coming to Orange?

This was one of my contenders.

Thanks

Gismo
15th December 2009, 08:00 AM
which means if you sign up for a 24 month plan24 months :eek: look at the hassle we have every 18 months when he's forced to stay with a phone he doesn't like :rolleyes:

Craig
15th December 2009, 09:23 AM
24 months :eek: look at the hassle we have every 18 months when he's forced to stay with a phone he doesn't like :rolleyes:

:moonie::moonie: - face, bothered.. :rolleyes::knife::lol:

The Dogfather
15th December 2009, 09:39 AM
Paul,

Do you know if the Nokia N900 is coming to Orange?

This was one of my contenders.

Thanks

Not sure, its not one I'm aware of but that doesn't rule it out as we sometimes get last minute additions. I've saw a pre-production one a few months back looked really good.

euan
15th December 2009, 05:19 PM
Sorry to hijack your thread Craig, but while we're on the subject of Orange and iPhones, i heard if you move to an iPhone tariff you lose your Orange privileges that you may have built up, anyone heard that?

The Dogfather
15th December 2009, 10:18 PM
I think that might be correct but I can ask one of the team and confirm.

Craig
16th December 2009, 09:45 AM
Sorry to hijack your thread Craig, but while we're on the subject of Orange and iPhones, i heard if you move to an iPhone tariff you lose your Orange privileges that you may have built up, anyone heard that?

no worries Euan - it's a valid question... I still have a monthly contract plan with Orange that I must have had for about 12 years.. It was the virgin tariff, so no monthly line rental and you only pay for calls and texts.. never cancelled it when I had to move over to vodafone a few years ago.. ;)

euan
16th December 2009, 09:56 AM
no worries Euan - it's a valid question... I still have a monthly contract plan with Orange that I must have had for about 12 years.. It was the virgin tariff, so no monthly line rental and you only pay for calls and texts.. never cancelled it when I had to move over to vodafone a few years ago.. ;)

That's the thing, I've been with Orange so long I get decent tariffs from them as well (though probably not as good as that!), and good deals on phones, though only once you get past the first line in new contracts on the phone, the guys in retentions are spot on.

I think last time I paid under 20 quid for 600 mins, unlimited data and texts, on the latest Sony, so going from that to paying 35 quid a month and a big upfront fee on the iPhone just doesn't work for me, it's near enough 300 quid more just on the contract for the same as I have now, plus the cost of the phone, which was 180odd. 15 quid a month isn't much, but over the course of the deal that's nigh on 500 quid over 18 months which is a lot harder to justify.

Gismo
16th December 2009, 10:11 AM
But wouldn't you add in the fact you'll get money back for the old iPhone when you move onto another phone :confused:

euan
16th December 2009, 10:16 AM
But wouldn't you add in the fact you'll get money back for the old iPhone when you move onto another phone :confused:

I could do it that way, but I know I'm rubbish at that - ebay is a mystery to me :-)

I think from doing some reading the cheapest way to do it is to get a decent contract with a decent phone, like the Hero, but without the 35 quid a month, which I could then sell and buy an iPhone direct from Apple.

I've no idea if that would actually work though!

The Dogfather
16th December 2009, 10:18 AM
I've had it confirmed that if you 'upgrade' to an iphone you can retain any existing discounts that you have accrued. You won't however build up any new ones though. So I was wrong :I

Hope this helps...

The Dogfather
16th December 2009, 10:22 AM
You can buy an Orange iphone on PAYG for £440 (3GS 16Gb). That will work with your existing tariff but you'll need a data bundle.

euan
16th December 2009, 11:17 AM
You can buy an Orange iphone on PAYG for £440 (3GS 16Gb). That will work with your existing tariff but you'll need a data bundle.

I already have an unlimited data bundle, so that should work with it?

Big Gordy
16th December 2009, 01:26 PM
but I know I'm rubbish at that - ebay is a mystery to me :-)

I know a guy who would sell it for you then get you ALL your money back:Whistle::rolleyes:

The Dogfather
16th December 2009, 01:27 PM
Yes, that should work. You might want to check with an agent though.

harryboy22002
19th December 2009, 08:38 AM
hi
orange in dundee ,doing i phone 3g for £30 a month 24 month contract ??:clap:

Craig
9th January 2010, 03:44 PM
Well thats the new phone ordered. Comes on Tues. :thumbs up:

got a cracking deal (I think) and went with Orange. :cool:

And it's not an iphone... :thud::Whistle:

GCA3N
9th January 2010, 05:02 PM
went with Orange. :cool:

And it's not an iphone... :thud::Whistle:

:frown::frown:

Gismo
9th January 2010, 05:04 PM
:frown::frown::frown:

Delboy
9th January 2010, 05:47 PM
A Motorola Dext?

Craig
9th January 2010, 06:26 PM
:frown::frown:

:frown:

A Motorola Dext?

see you oil workers with "too much bloody money" (quote from which film ;)). The decision was, iphone or going to Oxford. And a MINI run wins over a phone everytime :yes nod::yes nod: The £200 saved buying the phone will just about pay for the weekend :thumbs up:

And to answer you Del, nope, not the dext, it used a load of widgets on the front page for the identity stealing sites (or social networking sites as some call them;)) and I use none of them, and the phone I went for looked and felt better. :yes nod: It's on Android, so I can get tons of apps for it also thro the android market :cool: And the phone cost me zero :yawn:

GCA3N
9th January 2010, 06:42 PM
I think Alan was shaking his head at me, not you Craig. TBO your right about the money thing, I was more thinking about the service provider more than the phone. I cannot see past O2 TBO

Scottie
9th January 2010, 06:56 PM
see you oil workers with "too much bloody money" (quote from which film ;)). The decision was, iphone or going to Oxford. And a MINI run wins over a phone everytime :yes nod::yes nod: The £200 saved buying the phone will just about pay for the weekend :thumbs up:

And to answer you Del, nope, not the dext, it used a load of widgets on the front page for the identity stealing sites (or social networking sites as some call them;)) and I use none of them, and the phone I went for looked and felt better. :yes nod: It's on Android, so I can get tons of apps for it also thro the android market :cool: And the phone cost me zero :yawn:

<sigh> and the phone you got is, or is it a big bl00dy secret or something jeez spit it out we are all adults surely.

Forbes
9th January 2010, 07:03 PM

<sigh> and the phone you got is, or is it a big bl00dy secret or something jeez spit it out we are all adults surely.

Seems they have funky names. No doubt am wrong

Gismo
9th January 2010, 07:25 PM
I think Alan was shaking his head at me, not you CraigNope, at Craig, i was agreeing with you

GCA3N
9th January 2010, 08:01 PM
Nope, at Craig, i was agreeing with you

sorry for the confusion. I have had Ipods since 1st Gen and love them, can't see by them tbo. When the iphone came along it was like 10 christmas's at once. I would add though that there are some worthy contenders out there. I think the gadget show had the iphone as gadget of the decade so that speaks for itself, end of the day it's about personal preferences though. What ever you have hope you enjoy it Craig.

Forbes
9th January 2010, 08:04 PM
can't see by them tbo.

I know it will be me being thick but what does tbo mean? :blush: To be ... I usually use tbh. I know I should know this text speech

GCA3N
9th January 2010, 08:05 PM

He likes winding us up, remember the whole Craig's new car thread. Is it a Gp? is it a Clubman S?, none of us had him down for a BEP R53 JCW though:thud:. If this goes the same way it could be a nokia 3310!

:lol:

The Dogfather
9th January 2010, 08:40 PM
The iphone is a great piece of kit but, I personally like to have the ability to customise every aspect of my phone and that's what Android allows you to do.

Plus, I can't wait for Eclair to arrive with built in SatNav and Street view...

Delboy
9th January 2010, 08:45 PM

Free phones are the best kind :thumbs up:. Must be an HTC of some kind then - Hero or Tattoo perhaps?

GCA3N
9th January 2010, 09:09 PM
I know it will be me being thick but what does tbo mean? :blush: To be ... I usually use tbh. I know I should know this text speech

Oh dear how much of a tube to I feel, see try to be young and use text speak and i make an arse of myself. TBH was what i meant to say. Thought for ages about a word beginning with O that would have made sense, but looks like I'll have to admit to it...:blush:

Forbes
9th January 2010, 11:08 PM
Oh dear how much of a tube to I feel, see try to be young and use text speak and i make an arse of myself. TBH was what i meant to say. Thought for ages about a word beginning with O that would have made sense, but looks like I'll have to admit to it...:blush:
I noticed it in another thread you posted in and really couldn't think what it was

Craig
10th January 2010, 12:25 AM

jings, your not good with secrets... you must hate xmas... lol ;)

got the HTC Hero (same as you) the stutter with the software has been fixed with a firmware update and one of the guys at work has just got one and it's MUCH faster. :yes nod:

The Dogfather
10th January 2010, 09:04 AM
Scottie

You can actually update the Hero's software via HTC website, I think, its not easy though much to my annoyance.

Scottie
10th January 2010, 09:36 AM
I didn't know I had a stutter and if it's not easy to update then I'll not bother

ianking
10th January 2010, 05:03 PM
Just got a new iphone 3GS 16gp in white today as a free upgrade from the 02 shop.

Just about to set it all up.

My ipod touch will be redundant now so think im gonna flog it.

MINI William
10th January 2010, 05:31 PM
Just got a new iphone 3GS 16gp in white today as a free upgrade from the 02 shop.

Welcome to the Iphone club Ian

Craig
10th January 2010, 05:45 PM

lucky man... nobody would give any discount on the iphone, let alone a free one... :argh: I needed t change networks as vodacrap is useless at my work.. :rolleyes:

If it hadn't been for the cost of nearly £200 for one plus the monthly fee then I would have considered it.. :yes nod:

Fartin Martin
10th January 2010, 06:05 PM
are orange not only like £89 for the handset??..was in last week looking at it..but im due an upgrade at the end of the month so have to wait till then

The Dogfather
10th January 2010, 06:19 PM
It depends on the tariff you're on, the length of contract and the iphone model you want...

Fartin Martin
10th January 2010, 06:23 PM
hmmm suppose..think that was for the £35 amonth tarriff..for me though..the tarrif is a step down from what ive got so gonna try haggle with them to get the same deal..apparently theyr not budging..even with orange employees!!!!!!

GCA3N
11th January 2010, 06:46 AM

Great choice you'll love it.

Craig
12th January 2010, 05:39 PM
well Orange aren't starting their relationship with me very well... Phone supposed to be delivered today. All the emails stated so. I even got one this morning at 03:50hrs saying that it was dispatched and would be with me today. :yes nod:

So made arrangements for someone to be around the house today and guess what, no parcel as yet. So, I thought, best check that it is still on the way... The track and trace doesn't work, so phoned Orange..

Got a lady who said, I'll check for you, but do you know they can deliver up to 6pm tonight? yes I said, but your track and trace ain't working. . .:rolleyes: So she goes away and comes back and says " it won't be delivered today sir due to transport issues". :thud: So I asked as to why I have been told on numerous occasions that it would be today including the email this morning and reply was that "these are automated replies and may not be right" :argh: Un****in' believable... :argh:

So I asked if I can get it sent to another address as I can't have anyone around the house to collect it and I ain't driving to the depot which could be god knows where and she says yes, but that will incur a further delay... :rolleyes:

So finally agreed to get it sent to my work and I'll get it maybe on Thurs, thats if there are no more "transport delays" due to the weather. :ragin:

It's not so much the delay in getting the phone, it's the complete lack of customer service and obviously systems which go unchecked.

euan
12th January 2010, 05:52 PM
Exactly the same happened to someone I know, though Orange ended up sending two phones!

Gismo
12th January 2010, 05:56 PM
You wouldn't have this problem with an iPhone :Whistle:

Fartin Martin
12th January 2010, 06:15 PM
I cant wait to get my iphone...contracts up for renewal at the end of the month, but just don't wanna have to pay the same money for less mins/texts etc..any ideas on how to haggle with them(orange im with btw) cos im rubbish at it!!:lol:

cheers

Martin

Craig
12th January 2010, 06:26 PM
You wouldn't have this problem with an iPhone :Whistle:

aye I would, it would have been coming from Orange too.... :thud: :moonie:

euan
12th January 2010, 08:00 PM
I cant wait to get my iphone...contracts up for renewal at the end of the month, but just don't wanna have to pay the same money for less mins/texts etc..any ideas on how to haggle with them(orange im with btw) cos im rubbish at it!!:lol:

cheers

Martin

You'll be lucky. I've tried three times now (Orange as well) and got nowhere with it. 02 are doing deals for existing customers at the moment, but nobody else seems to be.

Forbes
12th January 2010, 08:06 PM
Is it not Apple rather than the operators that set the tarriffs. Same with brand new Ipods, all set prices but companies might chuck a freebie in to sweeten the deal

Fartin Martin
12th January 2010, 08:36 PM
hmmm..you confirmed my worries!!..just dont really wanna lose out on my unlimited texts..as i need them:lol:

only time will tell ha!

Fartin Martin
12th January 2010, 08:37 PM
I see, never knew that!

I'll look in to it!;)

Cheers

Forbes
12th January 2010, 08:39 PM
Might not be the same now, that was before when it was opened to all operators

Fartin Martin
12th January 2010, 08:46 PM
Nae worries!!I'll give Orange a bell tomorrow a see what their chat is and let yous all know how i get on!;)

The Dogfather
12th January 2010, 09:31 PM
Craig, sorry to hear about your woes.

Delivery is not my area so I'm not aware of any specific problems but I do know the weather has had a big impact. However, if you're calling into customer service and not getting the right answers then this is something that my area is responsible for. Can you PM me the details so I can pass them on to be investigated.

Craig
12th January 2010, 10:17 PM
Craig, sorry to hear about your woes.

Delivery is not my area so I'm not aware of any specific problems but I do know the weather has had a big impact. However, if you're calling into customer service and not getting the right answers then this is something that my area is responsible for. Can you PM me the details so I can pass them on to be investigated.

Paul, I have calmed down a bit now. It's no big problem, just annoying thats all. I should get it delivered to my work on Thurs. If you want the exact details of my order, let me know, but I know that transport of goods by courier is causing problems at the moment. :yes nod: other items that i am waiting for at my work have been held up. It's more the communication thing that bugs me as I work in customer service myself :D

ianking
12th January 2010, 10:21 PM
Loving my new iphone.

Got some apps downloaded now

Shazam
Official Rangers F.C
Sky News
Pocket Alan Partridge

Just getting used to the texting.

The Dogfather
12th January 2010, 10:28 PM
Craig, whilst we can't control the weather the communication and delivery tracker issues need fixing, otherwise other people could be getting a similar poor first impression of Orange.

If you can send me the details I'll pass them on to the right people and make sure they get addressed. Probably too late now to do anything with your order though, sorry.

If you have any further problems let me know, thanks.

The Dogfather
12th January 2010, 10:38 PM
Some worthwhile apps for the droids,

Layar - Augmented Reality Browser
Astro - File manager thingy
CoPilot Live - full UK SatNav £29 - works really well
Movies - Movie review, great for checking films at the store
The Weather Channel - widgets and detailed forecasts
Android Lightsaber
Daft Machine - so much fun
Doctor Evil Soundboard

Oh, if anyone has a iphone on Orange can they tell me what they think of the Orange Wednesday app and the Your Account app.

Craig
12th January 2010, 11:02 PM
Craig, whilst we can't control the weather the communication and delivery tracker issues need fixing, otherwise other people could be getting a similar poor first impression of Orange.

If you can send me the details I'll pass them on to the right people and make sure they get addressed. Probably too late now to do anything with your order though, sorry.

If you have any further problems let me know, thanks.

Ok will do Paul. CHeers

Delboy
12th January 2010, 11:32 PM
Firstly, what a bummer Craig! Nothing worse than waiting for a parcel and it doesn't arrive :frown:. Hope it arrives ok on Thursday. (I won't go on about how my new phone from Vodafone arrived exactly when expected on Monday this week :Whistle:)

Some worthwhile apps for the droids,

Layar - Augmented Reality Browser
Astro - File manager thingy
CoPilot Live - full UK SatNav £29 - works really well
Movies - Movie review, great for checking films at the store
The Weather Channel - widgets and detailed forecasts
Android Lightsaber
Daft Machine - so much fun
Doctor Evil Soundboard

Oh, if anyone has a iphone on Orange can they tell me what they think of the Orange Wednesday app and the Your Account app.

Paul - thanks for the 'droid list :thumbs up:. And I've used the Orange Wednesday app on my wife's iPhone a few times and it's ace :yes nod:

ianking
13th January 2010, 09:27 AM
Think I will need to get me the Dr Evil soundboard.

Craig
13th January 2010, 01:24 PM
well the plot thickens.... :lol:

got a text this morning to say the parcel was getting delivered today. Great I thought :clap:

well, I was on my way back from Falkirk after doing a site survey and noticed the DPD van behind me and he followed me into work (they are the deliver co used by Orange) so when he pulled up, I asked if he had a package for me. " eh no sir, I don't!" So I asked him if there would be another van round today and he said no, but he did give me the number for the depot and said, ask them where the package is being delivered and if it is on a van. So phoned the depot and eventually they found the package. it is on a van being delivered to my home address. :thud: :argh: So it would appear that the conversation I had with the lady at Orange last night was a waste of time as nothing appears to have been changed... The guy at the depot was very good tho and gave me estimated delivery of 12:20 to 13:20hrs so I am sitting in the house at the moment waiting on it... :clap:

As I said yesterday, it's not so much the delay, but the "not doing what you say your going to do" that bugs the crap out of me... :ragin:

Forbes
13th January 2010, 01:35 PM
Never good Craig. Shame they can't deliver like some MINI folk. Ordered a new boot carpet from England yesterday. 10am on the dot this morning it is at my door

GCA3N
13th January 2010, 01:41 PM
Never good Craig. Shame they can't deliver like some MINI folk. Ordered a new boot carpet from England yesterday. 10am on the dot this morning it is at my door

I ordered stuff on new years day (offshore obviously) it all came within 5-6 days. Ordered from the book people New years eve and got it yesterday, according to them delayed by the weather. Some folks are brill at sending others rubbish. BEst one so far was my tax disc ordered one day arrived the next? How I don't know.

Forbes
13th January 2010, 01:46 PM
I ordered stuff on new years day (offshore obviously) it all came within 5-6 days. Ordered from the book people New years eve and got it yesterday, according to them delayed by the weather. Some folks are brill at sending others rubbish. BEst one so far was my tax disc ordered one day arrived the next? How I don't know.
I got something sent from Edinburgh 5pm in the box, after his work. On my door step at 8.30am next day by the postie. Second class mail

Craig
13th January 2010, 02:08 PM
it's not here yet... :lol: will need to get back to work shortly, or it will be my longest lunch ever... :lol: :rolleyes:

Forbes
13th January 2010, 02:13 PM
it's not here yet... :lol: will need to get back to work shortly, or it will be my longest lunch ever... :lol: :rolleyes:

I reckon he turns up at 13:19 at your office

Craig
13th January 2010, 02:17 PM
I reckon he turns up at 13:19 at your office

that would just be my luck...!

Scottie
13th January 2010, 07:04 PM
well has it arrived yet

Craig
13th January 2010, 07:24 PM
Nope, not arrived and no card thro the door saying they attempted delivery.... :argh: :ragin:

Fartin Martin
14th January 2010, 03:01 PM
does anyone know if they are briging them out in different colurs??..was told this last night but they wern't too sure if it was 100%

cheers

martin

euan
14th January 2010, 03:39 PM
does anyone know if they are briging them out in different colurs??..was told this last night but they wern't too sure if it was 100%

cheers

martin

Are you talking about the hero? I've seen multiple colours (in fact - here (http://www.talkandroid.com/564-htc-android-hero/)) but that doesn;t mean it'll be offered. Paul?

Fartin Martin
14th January 2010, 03:52 PM
Are you talking about the hero? I've seen multiple colours (in fact - here (http://www.talkandroid.com/564-htc-android-hero/)) but that doesn;t mean it'll be offered. Paul?

oops sorry should have said for the iphone..was thinking it but never typed it!..apologies!:p

Craig
14th January 2010, 05:22 PM
Well it has arrived... :clap:

it nearly didn't though... :lol: It got re-arranged to be sent to my work, so what happens? The delivery company decide to try and deliver at the only time of the day that our stores dept is closed.. :thud: Luckily I had a short lunch and was walking back over to our office (it is right next door to stores) and saw a delivery van outside. So I ran up to the girl and said " is that a package for me?" and guess what, yes it was and she was just about to get back in the van and drive off. :rolleyes:

So got it all charged up this afternoon and now to work out what all the buttons do... :lol:

I must say a thanks to Paul (The Dogfather) for his investigational skills... :thumbs up: Hope I helped fix that wee software glitch :D:D

The Dogfather
14th January 2010, 06:51 PM
Buttons? You must have the wrong one the phone is touchscreen ;)

Delboy
14th January 2010, 08:01 PM
Have fun with the new phone! Let us know what you think of it once you figure out what all the "buttons" do ;) !

I just got the HTC Tattoo this week and am really pleased with it so far - Android is very impressive :thumbs up:.

Craig
21st January 2010, 10:42 PM
Ok guys and gals, this could go to 4 pages, but I'll try and summary the last week or so. :lol:

as you know I had problems with my delivery... Got the phone Thurs last week. Had dubious phone signal at work, brought it home - also not great. Got up on Fri morning and had no service at home. Not good. :frown:

When I authorised my phone on the Thurs I put in my PAC code online to transfer my number. Cancelled Orange to cancel contract and send phone back. Can't - must cancel Port of number first. Call that department, cut off twice whilst trying to do this and had to leave for the Mini Golf in Glasgow without getting this dealt with.

Sat Morn, phone and speak to a nice girl. Ask to cancel port of my number - All sorted she said. :thumbs up:

Mon morn, thought I would phone and ask to send the phone back now - can't as the port of my number was not cancelled :argh: So, had to let the number port from Vodafone to Orange. Then had to wait another day to let the port complete. So Tues got a PAC code from Orange to give to O2 as I buckled and spent this months housekeeping money on an iPhone. :rolleyes:

So today, the port of my number went over to O2 and now I can't send text messages from my iPhone, but I can do everything else.. :lol:

So phoning Orange tomorrow to send back the phone under the 14 day money back guarantee. :yes nod: Then if my texts aren't working, back on the phone to o2... And folk wonder why I only change phones every 2 years... :thud::clap:

What I would say is that the iPhone is all it's cracked up to be, however I would say that the Hero is a great phone, just not great for signal strength, coupled with not great signal from orange in my areas, despite what the coverage checker says.. :rolleyes:

I would also like to apologise and thank Paul (The Dogfather) for all he did to help and also for listening to my moans and rants... :argh::lol:

Craig
21st January 2010, 11:09 PM
Thats my texts just started working with O2... Yay!! :clap:

The Dogfather
21st January 2010, 11:15 PM
Craig, sorry it didn't go smoothly. The number transfer thingy is a nightmare as all the phone companies have to work together, it never quite goes the way you want it.

I'm guessing that the signal issue is down to a coverage hole if the checker says its OK. This is when the local geography and even the strength of the handset comes into play - buildings, small hills, troughs all play a part. You could find a coverage hole is only 50 yards across.

We've just this week found out that there will be a friends and family discount available on the iphone. :argh:

Scottie
21st January 2010, 11:27 PM
Not good but at least you are not dealing with vodafone I am still dealing with transactions and hardware right back to May 2009 and can't get it sorted

GAJ
22nd January 2010, 11:35 AM
Enjoy the iPhone. OS 4.0 will be released next Wednesday and should make it even better!

Craig
22nd January 2010, 12:03 PM
Enjoy the iPhone. OS 4.0 will be released next Wednesday and should make it even better!

Cool.:thumbs up:

just managed to phone Orange and arrange the return. It took 3 phone calls to get it done as there was no number assigned to the phone and they wouldn't allow me to send it back without it... :thud:

why is nothin' easy.. :lol: At least it's done now... :yes nod:

euan
1st February 2010, 11:09 AM
See you and this phone...

I was all set to go out and get an HTC (though probably wait for the Bravo which looks good) and then you go and return it for an iPhone! So as I looked back to see what HTC you got I missed all this "returned it and got an iPhone" chat.

Still can't get Orange to give me a deal though - I'm at the point where I'd pay the £35 a month but right now don't have the cash to buy the phone for 189 quid (apparently, dining chairs are more important...).

AndyP & Lenore
1st February 2010, 01:46 PM
....... I'm at the point where I'd pay the £35 a month but right now don't have the cash to buy the phone for 189 quid (apparently, dining chairs are more important...).

WTF:ragin:. She's having a laugh!:frown:

A.:frown:

AndyP & Lenore
1st February 2010, 01:47 PM
....... I'm at the point where I'd pay the £35 a month but right now don't have the cash to buy the phone for 189 quid (apparently, dining chairs are more important...).

Absolutely.:thumbs up:

L.:yes nod:

Craig
1st February 2010, 01:52 PM
See you and this phone...

I was all set to go out and get an HTC (though probably wait for the Bravo which looks good) and then you go and return it for an iPhone! So as I looked back to see what HTC you got I missed all this "returned it and got an iPhone" chat.

Still can't get Orange to give me a deal though - I'm at the point where I'd pay the £35 a month but right now don't have the cash to buy the phone for 189 quid (apparently, dining chairs are more important...).

Sorry Euan :sad:

the price is the only thing that put me off the iPhone. Take it over 2 years and you get the phone for under £90 :D

Craig
2nd March 2010, 09:38 AM
That's me just had a text from Orange to say my bill is ready :thud: :argh: this seems to suggest that they didn't get the phone back that I sent. I also have no receipt as Jude shredded it about a week after I sent the phone back :argh: this aint gonna be easy :ragin:

Delboy
2nd March 2010, 09:50 AM
:frown: oh bummer! Good luck with that....

Craig
2nd March 2010, 11:07 AM
It gets better... As I can't remember the temp phone number they gave me I can't get thro to customer servs to find out what's going on :argh: ah well will just have to wait on a paper bill ....

Big Gordy
2nd March 2010, 12:52 PM
Jeeeez.....what you gonna be like when you're my age :moonie:

Craig
2nd March 2010, 01:57 PM
Prob bald like you.... :lol:

spoke with them and got everything sorted ;) phew!!!

The Dogfather
2nd March 2010, 02:12 PM
Craig, it will be the bill for the brief time the phone was connected.

Its always a good idea to keep hold of all paperwork until a few months after returning anything just in case.

Craig
2nd March 2010, 02:34 PM
Craig, it will be the bill for the brief time the phone was connected.

Its always a good idea to keep hold of all paperwork until a few months after returning anything just in case.

Yeah your right Paul and I do. It's the tidy monster I live with that is the problem :rolleyes: OCD is a terrible affliction !!! ;)

Big Gordy
2nd March 2010, 05:22 PM
OCD is a terrible affliction !!! ;)

Overdrawn Craig Davies......don't fancy that at all:moonie::p

Craig
2nd March 2010, 07:00 PM
Overdrawn Craig Davies......don't fancy that at all:moonie::p

That's not bad for you but not anymore :lol:

Scottie
2nd March 2010, 07:14 PM
why am I not surprised. If its' going to go wrong then it will do so with you. Perhaps your bill will have a zero balance. Make sure you have cancelled the DD.

Craig
2nd March 2010, 08:10 PM
why am I not surprised. If its' going to go wrong then it will do so with you. Perhaps your bill will have a zero balance. Make sure you have cancelled the DD.

Yeah they confirmed the bill was zero and the dd was cancelled the day I sent the phone back ;)

Big Gordy
2nd March 2010, 11:36 PM
That's not bad for you but not anymore :lol:

I had others lined up but this is a family forum:hand:
:off topic: Hey Fi did you get my PM re the tyres:confused:

Crombers
4th March 2010, 11:15 AM
Prob bald like you.... :lol:

But better looking, ............ (c'mon Craig ................... get with it) :thumbs up: