PDA

View Full Version : Fog lights - seen it all now!

KenL
9th December 2009, 09:43 PM
Driving back from work today I saw a learner driver car with side lights and fog lights on - what a tw*t.

How can they teach learners when they obviously are not following the Highway Code, or even worse are not familiar with it?

I say strike them off :Whistle:

If I see them again, they might just get a piece of my mind :ragin::D

KenL
9th December 2009, 09:50 PM
I sometimes accidentally put my fogs on:Whistle:

Off with your head :hand:

Delboy
9th December 2009, 09:52 PM
That's disgusting - they should be shot at dawn :rolleyes: :D

Craig
9th December 2009, 10:07 PM
shooting is too good for them... it's a good kick in the baws they need... :rolleyes::Whistle:

KenL
9th December 2009, 10:17 PM
Actually joking aside the mini's look nicer with the fogs on at the front, when you compare the brightness to the zenon lights they don't dazzle. Besides the stock side lights are kack looking.

Bollox - go buy a lesser car you chav :D

Seriously, it is about complying with the law (and not annoying me of course:smilewinkgrin:) and using fog lights when there is not seriously reduced visibility is against it :hand:

The Dogfather
9th December 2009, 10:41 PM
On my way to work there's a good two or three persistent offenders, I just switch my lights to main beam and blind them as best I can. If everyone did the same they'd probably eventually realise that they don't look good they just look like a total prick. I know two wrongs don't make a right but the tossers need to learn.

I think the name fog light should be dropped and they should be renamed w@nker lights.

N16SHP
10th December 2009, 02:15 AM
On my way to work there's a good two or three persistent offenders, I just switch my lights to main beam and blind them as best I can. If everyone did the same they'd probably eventually realise that they don't look good they just look like a total prick. I know two wrongs don't make a right but the tossers need to learn.

I think the name fog light should be dropped and they should be renamed w@nker lights.

There is a guy in a fiesta that constantly drives about Aberdeen at night with the sidelights and fogs instead of the main lights...twat!

Crombers
10th December 2009, 09:33 AM
I know it's a forum and we are entititled to our views but one of the things that is nice about this place is the language is normally kept to a minimum kinda feel yours is a tad OTT. In my opinion.:smilewinkgrin:

:eek: WTF , you are havin a laugh , yeah :eek:

ianking
10th December 2009, 09:52 AM
There was a woman pulled up next to me when I was in the car a couple of months ago screaming at me because she thought I had my fog lights on. I didnt realise what she was doing at first, screaming out her car and pointing at the front of mine. I eventually put the window down incase I had a small child stuck to the front of my car or something like that.

I then realised what she was on about and ratherly quickly and loudly replied 'its the fuc*ing sidelights you daft twat' that did turn some heads by the pedestrians crossing the road.

Anyway my point is that people must think MINIs are going about with their fogs on all the time.

P.S it annoys me when folk use fogs in non foggy conditions as well

Crombers
10th December 2009, 10:04 AM
P.S it annoys me when folk use fogs in non foggy conditions as well

Abso'tutley :yes nod:

Around these parts it would seem that the older fraternity are also catching on to this 'feekin' habit :argh:
Old dudes & dudessessess ;) , drivin around with sidelights & front fogs on (after dark) :argh:

The only 'bright' side is when you see one of these fuds cars with a blown fog bulb (cos they use them all the time).
I'd reckon 'plod' would be attracted to such vehicles :yes nod:

ianking
10th December 2009, 10:33 AM
I agree Greig there are far worse motoring affences than putting on fogs.

I can be a little quick when conditions permit and its a motorway or back road but I dont whooore about in the 30 zone like the boy racers in my town (they like their fogs on, even during the day :D)

Delboy
10th December 2009, 11:01 AM
Why do people get so worked up about this topic?

I was just thinking the same thing :confused:. I don't think I've ever been blinded by fog lights but large 4x4s with Xenons freakin' burn my eyes out :rolleyes:.

Crombers
10th December 2009, 11:11 AM
no i'm not, why do think it's ok?

So you are now the forum 'language' polis , aye :Whistle:

Crombers
10th December 2009, 11:13 AM
and yet there a people on here that drive far too fast (no names mentioned)

Go on name, names :yes nod:

I take it you'll be included as well :thumbs up:

Crombers
10th December 2009, 11:52 AM
and yet there a people on here that drive far too fast (no names mentioned) who are getting upset because someone has fog lights on.

I've narrowed it down to 7 of us just to make it easier for you :thumbs up: , so go on name some names :yes nod:

KenL
Delboy
Craig
Dogfather
N16SHP
IanKing
& ME

Bazthemod (not on the original hit list, but he wants to be included as he can go faster than oor Greig, who at this point might NOT drive far too fast)

Apparently one or some of the above DRIVE FAR TO FAST according to oor Greig :eek:

Bazthemod
10th December 2009, 12:02 PM
Put my name down there coz he canny keep up with my Cooper :p;)

I understand the fog light issue but its only ever an issue if the roads are wet and the light bounces.

what i find more annoying is chavs who fit angel eye headlights and go bout in the pitch blck with just the sidelights on to show them off! Madness!

I also get flashed all the time as people think my xenon's are full beam!

Crombers
10th December 2009, 12:06 PM
:D Only if you go & complain about those pesky folk who drive with front fogs on :thumbs up:

Acht I'll throw you into the frame as well, what the heck :hand:

Crombers
10th December 2009, 12:17 PM
OK OK , me & QUITE a few others who use the odd 'baddy' will go away & do some 'lines' in a wee corner will we :rolleyes:

You still ain't answered my question mind :thumbs up:

Oh & apparently Baz reckons you drive like a fud :yes nod:

N16SHP
10th December 2009, 12:24 PM
:thud: I don't want to be on that list!!! lol

No joke, my Mrs has said that since I got my Cooper S, i've became a slower driver??? I think it's cos i know i've got the power if i want it, but in my old Fiesta, you had to thrash it to get it to go anywhere!!!

I will say this though, I agree with you Ian, that foggies are annoying, but there is definitely more important things to be worrying about!

On another note, its an absolutely gorgeous day up here today, think it's time for a drive!!!!

Crombers
10th December 2009, 12:33 PM
:thud: I don't want to be on that list!!! lol

Sorry ;) but you referred to the Fiesta driver as a twat, so you are therefore on the 'hit list' of drivers who got 'upset' :D

KenL
10th December 2009, 12:38 PM
I am very sorry that I started this thread!

Could a mod please bin it before people start falling out?

Crombers
10th December 2009, 12:40 PM
I don't claim never having sped before, but as you get older and more mature you realise how dangerous it is and slow down abit.

Oh feck, mind that fence does'ny jag yer ar$e (oops sorry :rolleyes:)

Wait til you see it ...........
oor Greig will now be handing out copies of the Highway Code prior to all future NMS outings, woo hoo :rolleyes: :Whistle: :yawn:

Craig
10th December 2009, 12:53 PM
you can always count on a fog light or tinter thread to get the debate going..

Crombers - pit yer flaming torch away...

Greig - chill man, the baw heid fae the "Mearns" is trying to wind you up, ignore him.

And yes, fog lights on when not fogging are annoying - end off.. Yes there are worse offences out there. :thumbs up:

right, everyone have a group hug... :yes nod::yes nod:

anyway, nae mare fighting, unless I get to join in...!!! :rolleyes:

Crombers
10th December 2009, 01:29 PM
I am very sorry that I started this thread!

Could a mod please bin it before people start falling out?

Naw :D

Crombers
10th December 2009, 01:31 PM
:D
you can always count on a fog light or tinter thread to get the debate going..

Crombers - pit yer flaming torch away...

Greig - chill man, the baw heid fae the "Mearns" is trying to wind you up, ignore him.

And yes, fog lights on when not fogging are annoying - end off.. Yes there are worse offences out there. :thumbs up:

right, everyone have a group hug... :yes nod::yes nod:

anyway, nae mare fighting, unless I get to join in...!!! :rolleyes:

Acht BOOOOOOOOOO :D :D :D

Join in mate, you drive far too fast as well :rolleyes:

N16SHP
10th December 2009, 03:21 PM
Ha ha, Crombers, a'l take it that im on that list!

Group hugs...gotta love them!

RyanK
10th December 2009, 03:27 PM
http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w113/jackb2302/HarryHill_fight-1.jpg

I am interested in seeing who Greig thinks drives like a twat :D

Gismo
10th December 2009, 05:28 PM
Can someone tell me if i drive too fast or not :Whistle: :popcorn:
I wanna know what fence i'm sitting on before i post :hand:

stoney
10th December 2009, 06:31 PM
Can someone tell me if i drive too fast or not :Whistle: :popcorn:
I wanna know what fence i'm sitting on before i post :hand:

so do i

but i bet i know the ans to the Q is :D;)

so come on whats the big deal its just some lights for feck pi$$in sake you dont need to get pi$$ed of and start

and this is just for greig ;):eek:
feck
pi$$
balls
sh*t
barsteward

:nag::nag:

Scottie
10th December 2009, 06:45 PM
OK the top fast drivers on the forum are:

and I love you guys so this is not a criticism just as I see it and of course I have never seen any on you go over the speed limit on a normal road this is only ever been observed watching you go round knockhill.:D I have no problem with speed.

1st. John
2nd. Stoney
3.rd Alan (Gismo).

As for fog lights the rears are always more a pain in the arse for me people have these on when it's raining:argh::argh: fronts do not bother me.

However I have to say the bright side lights like what Audi have and now other cars have are a total pain.

KenL
10th December 2009, 07:16 PM
However I have to say the bright side lights like what Audi have and now other cars have are a total pain.

Agree wi th you there Scottie, those awful fairy lights on Audis are very bright and look terrible.

They would put me off buying an Audi.

Also what about the "fashion" for car (Mercedes, VW Golf mk6) to turn a single fog light on to "help" you turn a corner!

I passed my test in 1983 and have not managed to not make round a corner without these. :rolleyes:

RyanK
10th December 2009, 08:02 PM
the fairy lights will be a standard feature on every car soon unfortunately.

I like em on audis but not much else

The Dogfather
10th December 2009, 08:14 PM
My TT doesn't have fairy lights (thank God) only the S models had them when I got mine

Bazthemod
10th December 2009, 10:47 PM
Yeah every new car from 2012 onwards needs LED sidelights by law... interesting to see where MINI will put them :confused:

Crombers
11th December 2009, 12:18 PM
OK the top fast drivers on the forum are:

and I love you guys so this is not a criticism just as I see it and of course I have never seen any on you go over the speed limit on a normal road this is only ever been observed watching you go round knockhill.:D I have no problem with speed.

1st. John
2nd. Stoney
3.rd Alan (Gismo).

& would you have a wee goosy at the list above :rolleyes:

Sheeeesh, I'm not even mentioned :Whistle: :hand:

Neil and Lorna
11th December 2009, 03:03 PM
:popcorn::popcorn:

Craig
11th December 2009, 03:08 PM
I had my fog lights on today... :Whistle:

mind you I couldn't see further than about 20 feet :lol::clap:

ianking
11th December 2009, 03:57 PM
I had my fog lights on today... :Whistle:

mind you I couldn't see further than about 20 feet :lol::clap:

Same here.

The Dogfather
11th December 2009, 04:12 PM
Foggy here in Darlo at the moment, might have to find out how to switch them on

Scottie
13th December 2009, 06:26 PM
well was out in the Mini today and put my front fogs on but left the rears off.
:clap:

anyone put their front fogs on recently.:hand:

MINI William
13th December 2009, 06:32 PM
Could a mod please bin it

:popcorn: Please don't :popcorn:

stoney
13th December 2009, 06:49 PM

i had front and back on last night could not see 10ft in front of me tho ;)

Hamish
13th December 2009, 07:21 PM
lol, other drivers driving with fog lights on when its not needed is feckin annoying... although its like a red rag to a bull with my dad... he blows a gasket everytime someone comes towards him with their fog lights on lol

Mini Ecosse
13th December 2009, 08:03 PM

Me me me, front and rear, just till we cleared the fog at Lochearnhead

Ally S
13th December 2009, 10:14 PM
Theres still fog around here. I think this is the first time i've ever used front fog lights. Never even switched them on in previous cars.

They only seem to give more light just in front of the car, not much use at penetrating the fog tbh.

Some people say they are dazzling to on coming motorists and thats why they are illegal in normal conditions, but i've never really found them to be that bright. Thos HID/Xenons are far more dazzling I reckon

Looks wicked init!

k3ith
13th December 2009, 11:15 PM
Yeah every new car from 2012 onwards needs LED sidelights by law... interesting to see where MINI will put them :confused:

I was told it was 2010 and was sh.. layin bricks that the new mini didn't have those god awful DRL's they look gay!

audrey
13th December 2009, 11:40 PM
Had my front fog lights on last night :D

RyanK
13th December 2009, 11:55 PM
Even worse than spotlights imo are people who cannot fit their headlight bulbs properly.

With the winter nights here, I am being almost blinded by ill fitted bulbs every night on the way home from work. Using B roads...hence

Does my nut in

Gismo
14th December 2009, 05:09 AM
Fog lights are not meant to make you see the road better, they are there to make you morer visible to oncoming traffic, hence they dazzle other drivers in normal conditions ;)

The Dogfather
14th December 2009, 07:43 AM
Actually, they are designed to fire light low and to the sides so that on thick fog you can follow the road edges. There's no point in having light firing forwards as it just comes straight back at you.

We get a lot of thick hill fog here and front fog lights only really help at when its dark (and foggy)...

Burple
14th December 2009, 02:04 PM
Jeez.. I bugger off on holiday for a week and you all have a fog light "discussuion" without me!!

Now that's just rude!! :hand::laugh::laugh::Whistle::moonie:

AndyP & Lenore
14th December 2009, 02:13 PM
I would guess 1 in 10 drivers I passed yesterday had their fogs on:argh:. Visibility was poor though - as the Earth curved you couldn't see over it. :rolleyes: Perhaps these eeejits thought it would help them see into the next dimension or something.:rolleyes: Also passed a couple of tw@ts with their sides and fogs on. Words fail me.:knife:

A.:sad:

Ally S
14th December 2009, 02:17 PM
Fog lights are not meant to make you see the road better, they are there to make you morer visible to oncoming traffic, hence they dazzle other drivers in normal conditions ;)

I thought the idea was that they reduce the glareback from the fog by sitting closer to the surface of the road

GAJ
14th December 2009, 02:31 PM
I thought the idea was that they reduce the glareback from the fog by sitting closer to the surface of the road
You thought right! That's why there is a maximum height for fitment. The rears are obviously to increase your visibility to others, but that's not the primary purpose of the fronts.

Gismo
14th December 2009, 02:32 PM
:blush:

GAJ
14th December 2009, 02:41 PM
It's a common misconception! ;) Next time you are driving in really, really thick fog on an unlit road, try driving with just sidelights and fogs; you get much better visibility than with headlights on, even just dipped beams as the headlights just bounce right back at you from the fog, dazzling you. Not sure the highway code advocates this approach though. :eek: Of course the distance you can see is very short, due to the fogs throw, but headlights don't make this any better, they make it worse.

Crombers
14th December 2009, 05:25 PM
Actually, they are designed to fire light low and to the sides so that on thick fog you can follow the road edges.

Thats my understanding as well :yes nod: