PDA

View Full Version : Meguiars G220 DA machine polisher

mogster
4th December 2009, 02:25 PM
Hi

I'm thinking about buying a Meguiars machine polisher. Does anyone have tips or advice on this.

My car is a 2007 Mini Cooper with some very minor swirls. The paintwork is generally very good. I just want to improve the shine. I'd appreciate any advice on this subject.

Thanks

ianking
4th December 2009, 04:25 PM
I use a rotary but if your new to machine polishing then the G220 is ideal.

Remember that the MINI has very hard paint so choose pads and polish to suit this. Check out polishedbliss web site. They have packages tailored for different types of paint.

AndyP & Lenore
5th December 2009, 12:52 AM
I've got one.

If I'm honest, I'm no fan of it. It does a good enough job, but it is incredibly difficult to change the speed setting while the pad is on the car - and you can NOT increase the speed to high speed if the pad is not on the car or the polish flies off the pad at very high speed and is quite dangerous.

It may be that I just need shown by a pro how to use it properly. Gonna take Mr King up on his many offers one of these days and schedule a polish job when he's passing my door.

Our red MINI does need a good machine polish now and then as it is now 4 years old on solid paint, but there's no way I'm using it on the blue MINI. Being metallic it doesn't show the swirls as much anyway, and the last time I detailed it I just gave it a hand job (ooo er missus) with Autoglym SRP and it came up stunning.

A.:D

GCA3N
5th December 2009, 07:10 AM
Remember that the MINI has very hard paint .

Ian is that true for both the newer and older BMW minis. It's just I know the R56 has a water based paint(hence it chips easier).

k3ith
6th December 2009, 03:10 PM
Hi

I'm thinking about buying a Meguiars machine polisher. Does anyone have tips or advice on this.

My car is a 2007 Mini Cooper with some very minor swirls. The paintwork is generally very good. I just want to improve the shine. I'd appreciate any advice on this subject.

Thanks

I used to own a Porter Cable 2747 and that was very good, but you have to import from the U.S and alter the power cord to 110v and buy a 110v transformer which put people of, check ebay and you can pick them up from time to time but for most people a megs one will suffice.

ianking
6th December 2009, 08:29 PM
porter cable is much the same as the G220. In my opinion the G220 is nicer to use as as it vibrates less.

From my experiences R50 and R56 series MINIs have very hard paint.

Craig
6th December 2009, 08:47 PM
porter cable is much the same as the G220. In my opinion the G220 is nicer to use as as it vibrates less.

From my experiences R50 and R56 series MINIs have very hard paint.

and both are water based paints Greig. :thumbs up:

I believe santa is bring me a machine polisher kit from PB so might need to get some "lessons" Mr Shiney.. ;)

Scottie
6th December 2009, 09:01 PM
IMO (and what do I know) machine polishers whether a DA or Rotary

are best used inside (i.e a garage :hand:) where you can have have good and constant light. up north we used the halogen flood lights four to a stand

Using a polisher outside is no good waste of money if your goal is to de swirl the car if your just looking for a crisp finish they are ok'ish outside

ianking
6th December 2009, 09:07 PM
I would agree with Fi. I do all my work in the garage so that there is less of a risk of dust falling on the paintwork. I also use halogen lights on a tripod thingy to help show up any defects in the paint.

(however if you looked at my car just now it looks pretty bad. Just not had any time to do it.)

Scottie
6th December 2009, 09:12 PM
I would agree with Fi. I do all my work in the garage so that there is less of a risk of dust falling on the paintwork. I also use halogen lights on a tripod thingy to help show up any defects in the paint.

(however if you looked at my car just now it looks pretty bad. Just not had any time to do it.)

x1

washed my car today :frown::frown::frown: it's in a shocking state ok from a distance but close up ouch :argh::argh:

mogster
7th December 2009, 04:08 PM
Thanks for all the advice.

Would I be best to buy a machine polisher as a set from PB or can someone advise me what pads and polish I should buy.

I intend to use it on my 2007 Audi A4 as well as the 2007 Mini Cooper.

Any further advice would be appreciated.

I think I need to come along to one of the runs in the new year and meet some of the folk finally.

ianking
7th December 2009, 05:08 PM
Audi has even harder paint than the MINI.

I would get onto polishedbliss web site pronto and snap up one of their DAS deals for christmas. Defo buy the hard paint kit package. They are doing the whole lot for £99.

mogster
7th December 2009, 06:08 PM
Perfect. That sounds like the answer to me. Thanks again.

Mon the fish
25th March 2010, 07:51 PM
Looking at the PB website, the G220 is dearer than the 2 Kestrel machines, is it substantially better?

And if I invest in one, are there any tips for a newbie I should know of, so that I don't destroy my paintwork!?